You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MrSparkle

How would you spend the last 5 captain points for Mass, Georgia and Montana?

11 comments in this topic

Members
541 posts

My Montana captain is currently also my Massachusetts and Georgia captain (the next available captain for the two premiums has only has 10 points total).

He has

Priority Target

Expert Marksman

Basics of Survivability*

Fire Prevention*

Concealment

(*not willing to spec out of BoS and FP with all this HE spam, and it was part of my older build before I got Mass and Georgia and works great)

He has 4 points to spend right now with the final point coming up so 5 total soon.

Been debating between manual secondaries with expert loader, AFT with expert loader (it's John Doe with EL bonus), DE with AR, or SI with AR.

He spends most of his time now in the glorious Mass or Georgia. They play how I always wanted BBs to play.

I'm concerned about taking manual secondaries and getting used to that dispersion that will be nerfed and the fact I keep hearing at close range US secondaries shatter on the belt with that much accuracy.

AFT gives a nice secondary range and AA buff, DE can help the secondary spam cause fires which is what you want them to do, and what needs to be said about SI right? I'm heavily leaning towards AFT and EL for the double bonus AFT gives over the others but am requesting feedback and a conversation about pros and cons.

Edited by MrSparkle

[WOLFC]
Members
2,393 posts
10,734 battles

If you’re looking for a captain for all three, you should go with a standard survivability build, since secondary build on Montana (or any tech-tree USN BB) is generally sub-optimal.

I run Halsey on American BBs (who has the same improved skills as John Doe) with the following skills: PT, EM, SI, FP, CE, EL, and JoaT.

I don’t run BoS on any of my battleships. The small reduction in fire and flood time just isn’t worth the three point investment, IMO, especially when there are more attractive options. Both damage control modules, FP, and proper positioning and map awareness serve me well enough. You’ll want to get the improved EL, as being able to swap between 16” HE and AP in 7.5s is very powerful. I would recommend JoaT as the last skill, as it reduces the cooldown of both your repair party and DCP consumables.

For a secondary build, my standard build is PT, AR, SI, FP, AFT, MFCSA, and either PM or EL. Although, if you run this build on Georgia (I don’t) you might want to swap AR for EM, as her turret traverse is serviceable, but not as good as other ships with strong secondaries that like to brawl such as MA or Bismarck (36s vs 45s to turn 180 degrees).

Edited by Nevermore135

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,033 posts
20,709 battles

I would spend them thusly:

tUpil9N.jpg

It might be sub-optimal compared to a full survivability build but I'm done chasing metas. I'm here to have fun. I'm here for the memery.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
13,969 posts

I agree with Lert if going for the full secondary fun times. However if you want most optimal based on what you presented, SI and AR are best overall at helping you live longer and increasing your ROF as your health decreases.

[VORTX]
Members
557 posts
7,350 battles
9 minutes ago, Lert said:

I would spend them thusly:

tUpil9N.jpg

It might be sub-optimal compared to a full survivability build but I'm done chasing metas. I'm here to have fun. I'm here for the memery.

I use this build but swap visibility for FP. The find the fire prevention much more useful. This would be a great build for mass and Ga and not for Monty, but I think you’d still be fine with it. Better to be optimal for 2/3 🤣

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,033 posts
20,709 battles
2 minutes ago, Pirate_Named_Sue said:

I use this build but swap visibility for FP. The find the fire prevention much more useful. This would be a great build for mass and Ga and not for Monty, but I think you’d still be fine with it. Better to be optimal for 2/3 🤣

That's a fair build. I might respec for that when I'm not really lazy.

• Cool 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,230 posts
12,066 battles

I also agree with Lert manual secondaries for the fun 

Edited by clammboy

Members
541 posts

But manual secondaries won't remain that accurate. Guess I could have with it while it lasts.

And I'm always on fire so BoS and DCM2 reduce that burn significantly.

Edited by MrSparkle

[WPORT]
Members
7,754 posts
12,809 battles
5 hours ago, MrSparkle said:

My Montana captain is currently also my Massachusetts and Georgia captain (the next available captain for the two premiums has only has 10 points total).

He has

Priority Target

Expert Marksman

Basics of Survivability*

Fire Prevention*

Concealment

(*not willing to spec out of BoS and FP with all this HE spam, and it was part of my older build before I got Mass and Georgia and works great)

He has 4 points to spend right now with the final point coming up so 5 total soon.

Been debating between manual secondaries with expert loader, AFT with expert loader (it's John Doe with EL bonus), DE with AR, or SI with AR.

He spends most of his time now in the glorious Mass or Georgia. They play how I always wanted BBs to play.

I'm concerned about taking manual secondaries and getting used to that dispersion that will be nerfed and the fact I keep hearing at close range US secondaries shatter on the belt with that much accuracy.

AFT gives a nice secondary range and AA buff, DE can help the secondary spam cause fires which is what you want them to do, and what needs to be said about SI right? I'm heavily leaning towards AFT and EL for the double bonus AFT gives over the others but am requesting feedback and a conversation about pros and cons.

I spend Captain's Skill points differently than many people.

Preventive Maintenance
Last Stand
Superintendent
Advanced Firing Training
= 10 points

Some Battleships benefit from Expert Marksman, for improved turret rotation.
Some people like to get Concealment Expert or even Radio Direction Finding
Others prefer Fire Prevention, which admittedly, has merit when expecting to be fired upon by multiple ships spewing fire-hoses of HE projectiles.

Some people like Manual Control For Secondary batteries, for the increased accuracy.  The only thing is the player must manually select targets, and remember to do so.  But upcoming changes to skills would alter this skill significantly.

They are your skill points.  Spend 'em how you want.