Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Iron_Clad_5000

How Fast is Reverse?

41 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
172 posts
8,712 battles

I had always assumed that when your ship was traveling at reverse speed she would be do something equivalent to her 1/4 forward speed. I found that it was not quite the case as the ship I was sailing has the traveling smoke feature. At 1/4 forward speed I stayed in smoke but at reverse speed I would emerge out of my smoke. 

Just querulous to know, Thanks. :fish_glass: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,149
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,154 posts
2 minutes ago, Iron_Clad_5000 said:

I had always assumed that when your ship was traveling at reverse speed she would be do something equivalent to her 1/4 forward speed. I found that it was not quite the case as the ship I was sailing has the traveling smoke feature. At 1/4 forward speed I stayed in smoke but at reverse speed I would emerge out of my smoke. 

Just querulous to know, Thanks. :fish_glass: 

I'd be interested in knowing this myself. Set up a training room on a map with some islands and then see how many seconds it takes to sail past one in forward and reverse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
105
[O_S_D]
Members
225 posts
17,711 battles

I took out my Oklahoma for the first time.  I was in a coop.  I ended up reversing as the battle somehow got behind me!  I was doing about 10kph backwards.  Considering I can't hit 20kph forward that is some serious reversing.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,149
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,154 posts

@Iron_Clad_5000, I just did a quick test with the Des Moines and found that reverse is a little bit faster than 1/4 forward speed, which is what you surmised in your post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
313
[VOP]
Members
939 posts
31 minutes ago, Iron_Clad_5000 said:

I had always assumed that when your ship was traveling at reverse speed she would be do something equivalent to her 1/4 forward speed. I found that it was not quite the case as the ship I was sailing has the traveling smoke feature. At 1/4 forward speed I stayed in smoke but at reverse speed I would emerge out of my smoke. 

Just querulous to know, Thanks. :fish_glass: 

It's not fast enough to back off that island when you need to.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,788
[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,750 posts
4,272 battles

It's somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 in my experience, probably varies ship to ship. But let's see if the expert on ship maneuverability can weigh in @LittleWhiteMouse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,536
[PSA]
Members
5,114 posts
3,732 battles

For historical reasons, French ships can reverse faster than any others. Although that also might have to do with their great speed boost ;)

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
216
[MUDDX]
Banned
429 posts
1,111 battles
1 hour ago, Iron_Clad_5000 said:

I had always assumed that when your ship was traveling at reverse speed she would be do something equivalent to her 1/4 forward speed.

It depends on the ship. A tier 1 ship full ahead is 20 knots +/- 1 while full reverse may be 11 or more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,127
[SALVO]
Members
6,633 posts
5,231 battles
34 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

For historical reasons, French ships can reverse faster than any others. Although that also might have to do with their great speed boost ;)

I thought that was a Regia Marina perk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41,380
[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,447 posts
10,541 battles

Funny story.  I asked this same question to the devs and their answer didn't align with the in-game performance.  This is when Sub_Octavian dug up the spaghetti code for ship manoeuvrability and we both crossed our eyes trying to unravel it.  Fun times.  I've been gradually adding to my database of ship speeds in reverse.   I'm still looking for patterns.  My initial assumption that your reverse speed would be a percentage of your maximum forward speed, if only for the sake of simplicity.  This seems to be panning out with some exceptions so it's too soon to say for sure. Where things get wonky is that it's not a straight up value -- it scales based on top speed but not in a linear fashion.  So a ship with a 21 knot top speed reverses faster relative to its top speed than a ship with a 30 knot top speed.  Granted, the 30 knot will reverse faster than the 21 knot ship but not to the same percentage.  Again, I need to finish filling out the database to know this for sure and ships like the British destroyers and light cruisers only confuse things further with their wonky engine power.   I haven't finished collecting it all (it's scattered over like ...5 documents now).  Lemme see what I have on hand:

Max Forward Speed / Reverse Speed (Ship Examples)

  • 15.0kts / 8.6kts (Langley)
  • 18.0kts / 9.3kts (Mikasa)
  • 19.0kts / 9.5kts (Black Swan, Bougainville, Chengan)
  • 19.5kts / 9.7lts (Hashidate)
  • 20.0kts / 9.9kts (Erie, Eritrea, Gryf)
  • 20.5kts / 9.9kts (Turenne)
  • 21.0kts / 10.2kts (New Mexico, Arizona)
  • 22.0kts / 10.3kts (St.Louis)
  • 22.5kts / 10.5kts (Bellerophon)
  • 23.0kts / 10.7kts (Jurien)
  • 23.5kts / 10.7kts (Queen Elizabeth, Warspite)
  • 24.0kts / 10.9kts (Hermelin)
  • 24.5kts / 10.9kts (Fuso)
  • 25.0kts / 11.1kts (Orlan)
  • 26.0kts / 11.3kts (Chikuma)
  • 26.5kts / 11.5kts (Pyotr Velkiy)
  • 27.0kts / 11.6kts (Kolberg)
  • 27.5kts / 11.7kts (North Carolina, Alabama, Massachusetts)
  • 28.0kts / 11.9kts (Duke of York, Famous & Historical Monarch)
  • 28.5kts / 12.0kts (Izmail)
  • 29.0kts / 12.1kts (Vladivostok, Lenin)
  • 29.5kts / 12.3kts (Normandie, Kii)
  • 30.0kts / 12.5kts (Tachibana, Amagi, Vanguard, Roma)
  • 30.5kts / 12.5kts (Tirpitz)
  • 31.0kts / 12.6kts (Bismarck)
  • 31.5kts / 12.8kts (Furious)
  • 32.0kts / 12.8kts (Richelieu, Gascogne)
  • 32.5kts / 13.0kts (Belfast '43, Konigsberg, Helena, Belfast, Edinburgh)
  • 33.0kts / 13.2kts (Siroco, Des Moines)
  • 33.5kts / 13.2kts (G-101)
  • 34.0kts / 13.4kts (Shokaku)
  • 34.5kts / 13.6kts (Zao)
  • 35.0kts / 13.6kts (Storozhevoi)
  • 35.5kts / 13.8kts (Jaguar)
  • 36.0kts / 13.8kts (Longijang)
  • 36.5kts / 13.9kts (Alberto di Guissano)
  • 37.0kts / 14.1kts (Nicholas)
  • 37.5kts / 14.1kts (Fujin)
  • 38.0kts / 14.3kts  (Gnevny)
  • 38.5kts / 14.5kts (Sims)
  • 39.0kts / 14.5kts (Blyskawica)
  • 39.5kts / 14.7kts (Grozovoi)
  • 40.0kts / 14.9kts (Udaloi)
  • 42.0kts / 15.3kts (Podvoisky)
  • 42.5kts / 15.5kts (Kiev)
  • 43.0kts / 15.7kts (Minsk)
  • 43.5kts / 15.7kts (Mogador)
  • 44.0kts / 15.9kts (Kleber)

Just looking at it offhand, it appears to be every knot forward = 0.2 knots in reverse plus some baseline value on speed?  Nah, that doesn't work out.  But there's a pattern to be sure.

Edit:  I'm going to add a few more to this to try and fill out the chart.
Edit 2:  There we go.  I've put one example for every upgraded ship speed that ends in a round number of 0.5 knots.  With only a single example these are hardly confirmed and repetition is needed to firm these values up.  It takes a long time for some of these ships to come up to speed -- and just when you think they have, oops! they add another 0.2kts onto their current velocity.  It takes some of these vessels 2 minutes or more to reach their top speed, so yeah, lots of suspicions here.

There's still a lot to do.  Retesting these comes first.  Testing every other ship in the game and adding them in and looking for exceptions is next.  There are also more and more ships that have top speeds that do not end in zero or point five which will need to be categorized as well.  Finally, stock-ships also need to be flagged and categorized.  After that, movement modifiers such as Engine Boost and Sierra Mike signal influences need to be observed.  Finally, how ships turn in reverse needs to be shown as well.  Lots and lots of work here.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 9
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,788
[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,750 posts
4,272 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Funny story.  I asked this same question to the devs and their answer didn't align with the in-game performance.  This is when Sub_Octavian dug up the spaghetti code for ship manoeuvrability and we both crossed our eyes trying to unravel it.  Fun times.  I've been gradually adding to my database of ship speeds in reverse.   I'm still looking for patterns.  My initial assumption that your reverse speed would be a percentage of your maximum forward speed, if only for the sake of simplicity.  This seems to be panning out with some exceptions so it's too soon to say for sure. Where things get wonky is that it's not a straight up value -- it scales based on top speed but not in a linear fashion.  So a ship with a 21 knot top speed reverses faster relative to its top speed than a ship with a 30 knot top speed.  Granted, the 30 knot will reverse faster than the 21 knot ship but not to the same percentage.  Again, I need to finish filling out the database to know this for sure and ships like the British destroyers and light cruisers only confuse things further with their wonky engine power.   I haven't finished collecting it all (it's scattered over like ...5 documents now).  Lemme see what I have on hand:

Max Forward Speed / Reverse Speed (Ship Examples)

  • 21.0kts / 10.2kts (New Mexico, Arizona)
  • 23.5kts / 10.7kts (Queen Elizabeth, Warspite)
  • 27.5kts / 11.7kts (North Carolina, Alabama, Massachusetts)
  • 28.0kts / 11.9kts (Duke of York, Famous & Historical Monarch)
  • 29.0kts / 12.1kts (Vladivostok, Lenin)
  • 29.5kts / 12.3kts (Normandie, Kii)
  • 30.0kts / 12.5kts (Tachibana, Amagi, Vanguard, Roma)
  • 30.5kts / 12.5kts (Tirpitz)
  • 31.0kts / 12.6kts (Bismarck)
  • 32.0kts / 12.8kts (Richelieu, Gascogne)
  • 32.5kts / 13.0kts (Belfast '43, Konigsberg, Helena, Belfast, Edinburgh)
  • 33.0kts / 13.2kts (Sirroco, Des Moines)
  • 34.5kts / 13.6kts (Zao)
  • 35.5kts / 13.8kts (Jaguar)
  • 39.0kts / 14.4kts (Blyskawica)
  • 43.5kts / 15.7kts (Mogador)

Just looking at it offhand, it appears to be every knot forward = 0.2 knots in reverse plus some baseline value on speed?  Nah, that doesn't work out.  But there's a pattern to be sure.

Edit:  I'm going to add a few more to this to try and fill out the chart.

Knowing (from your work) how messed up acceleration and turning speed are, I suspected reversing was in the same boat. Looks like it is. Definitely some spaghetti coding here:Smile_teethhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
111
[CUDA]
Members
261 posts
7,830 battles

I was on a steam ship. It was turbine-driven and there's necessarily a separate turbine that goes in reverse than the forward turbine. It doesn't generate nearly as much power as the forward turbine, but it's not quite as bad as it sounds because once you get above 10 or 15 knots you're fighting friction in the water more and power to speed is a logarithmic progression. However, I believe reciprocating engines simply started running the cylinders backward and could generate as much horsepower backwards as forwards. The limitation there is the hull form and propellor location.  So, the reverse speeds may differ based on friction and what type of engine the ship has.

Or I could be full of hooey.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
172 posts
8,712 battles
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

@Iron_Clad_5000, I just did a quick test with the Des Moines and found that reverse is a little bit faster than 1/4 forward speed, which is what you surmised in your post.

Thanks for testing it out. Word to the wise if your ship has rolling smoke reversing can get you spotted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,936
[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,557 posts
4,771 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

This is when Sub_Octavian dug up the spaghetti code for ship manoeuvrability and we both crossed our eyes trying to unravel it.  Fun times.

Lucky rodent (depending on how you look at it), 

What language?  Please tell me it isn't in QuickBasic or some other abomination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,498
[REVY]
Members
8,258 posts
6,118 battles
2 hours ago, KaptainKaybe said:

For historical reasons, French ships can reverse faster than any others. Although that also might have to do with their great speed boost ;)

Yes and Americans ships reverse the slowest because of the historically accurate "cheeseburger formula". :Smile_sceptic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41,380
[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,447 posts
10,541 battles
12 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Lucky rodent (depending on how you look at it), 

What language?  Please tell me it isn't in QuickBasic or some other abomination.

No idea!  I'm not sure I can even share it based on NDA stuff. I'll have to go digging through my message history.

I've updated my post with most examples of different forward speeds in the game.  There are a few exceptions but it should give people a pretty good idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
172 posts
8,712 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Funny story.  I asked this same question to the devs and their answer didn't align with the in-game performance.  This is when Sub_Octavian dug up the spaghetti code for ship manoeuvrability and we both crossed our eyes trying to unravel it.  Fun times.  I've been gradually adding to my database of ship speeds in reverse.   I'm still looking for patterns.  My initial assumption that your reverse speed would be a percentage of your maximum forward speed, if only for the sake of simplicity.  This seems to be panning out with some exceptions so it's too soon to say for sure. Where things get wonky is that it's not a straight up value -- it scales based on top speed but not in a linear fashion.  So a ship with a 21 knot top speed reverses faster relative to its top speed than a ship with a 30 knot top speed.  Granted, the 30 knot will reverse faster than the 21 knot ship but not to the same percentage.  Again, I need to finish filling out the database to know this for sure and ships like the British destroyers and light cruisers only confuse things further with their wonky engine power.   I haven't finished collecting it all (it's scattered over like ...5 documents now).  Lemme see what I have on hand:

Max Forward Speed / Reverse Speed (Ship Examples)

  • 21.0kts / 10.2kts (New Mexico, Arizona)
  • 23.5kts / 10.7kts (Queen Elizabeth, Warspite)
  • 27.5kts / 11.7kts (North Carolina, Alabama, Massachusetts)
  • 28.0kts / 11.9kts (Duke of York, Famous & Historical Monarch)
  • 29.0kts / 12.1kts (Vladivostok, Lenin)
  • 29.5kts / 12.3kts (Normandie, Kii)
  • 30.0kts / 12.5kts (Tachibana, Amagi, Vanguard, Roma)
  • 30.5kts / 12.5kts (Tirpitz)
  • 31.0kts / 12.6kts (Bismarck)
  • 32.0kts / 12.8kts (Richelieu, Gascogne)
  • 32.5kts / 13.0kts (Belfast '43, Konigsberg, Helena, Belfast, Edinburgh)
  • 33.0kts / 13.2kts (Sirroco, Des Moines)
  • 34.5kts / 13.6kts (Zao)
  • 35.5kts / 13.8kts (Jaguar)
  • 39.0kts / 14.4kts (Blyskawica)
  • 43.5kts / 15.7kts (Mogador)

Just looking at it offhand, it appears to be every knot forward = 0.2 knots in reverse plus some baseline value on speed?  Nah, that doesn't work out.  But there's a pattern to be sure.

Edit:  I'm going to add a few more to this to try and fill out the chart.

If anyone can crack this nut it would be you LWM. Let me know if you get some reverse speed numbers for the Huanghe, that is the ship that got me thinking about this, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41,380
[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,447 posts
10,541 battles
34 minutes ago, Iron_Clad_5000 said:

If anyone can crack this nut it would be you LWM. Let me know if you get some reverse speed numbers for the Huanghe, that is the ship that got me thinking about this, thanks!

Any ships you want to test, go for it.  The more numbers we have, the better of an insight we'll get.  Remember to take not of any upgrades / signals / consumables used.  Also make sure you leave the ship reversing for AT LEAST two minutes (preferably more) to allow it to finish accelerating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
250
[RCNW6]
Members
425 posts
22 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

 Also make sure you leave the ship reversing for AT LEAST two minutes (preferably more) to allow it to finish accelerating.

That's right reverse for at least 2 minutes THEN .. .

Pull back the film cover, stir gently then reverse for 2 more minutes, let stand for 30 seconds and serve with a light, sweet cream sauce.

* note: reversing times may vary depending on the wattage of your engine module. 

:Smile_glasses:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,936
[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,557 posts
4,771 battles
1 hour ago, WaywardVariable said:

note: reversing times may vary depending on the wattage of your engine module. 

And quality of hamster meth (in the case of new USN BBs).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,937
[A-I-M]
Members
3,763 posts
14,693 battles
7 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I'd be interested in knowing this myself. Set up a training room on a map with some islands and then see how many seconds it takes to sail past one in forward and reverse.

Gee, and here I thought it was as simple as looking at your speed meter and seeing where it maxed out.

Silly me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×