You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Zeus_cat

Thank you WG - sometimes this is more than just a game

23 comments in this topic

[O_S_D]
Members
224 posts
17,637 battles

Several weeks ago I received a private message from one of my clan mates.  It turned out to be from his wife.  She told me that "John" had had two heart attacks and a stroke.  Being in the clan and playing the game means a lot to him and he really wants to get back and be part of the clan again.  "John" spent a lot of time taking care of her and her health issues as she is not well either.  This game was a good distraction for him and it sounds like it will be good therapy for him when he gets back home.  So thank you WG for creating the game and giving "John" something to look forward to when he gets home. 

Here are the two updates I received from "John's" wife yesterday.  I wanted to share them with WG and the community.  The only modifications I made to her notes were to modify and remove names. 

"John" wanted me to tell you he will be home on the 1 or 2 of next mnth. "John" does not speak very well now and is embarrassed by that. "John" also has lost about 20% of the use of his left hand, and left foot and leg. "John" is really wanting to come home so he can be normal oncemore. "John" really wants to play his game and the PT told me It would be good him. if there are changes I will let you know. Thank you. "John's Wife"

"John"also told me to say hi to "all his ship mates, and I will be back... "John's Wife"

• Cool 39
  • Thanks 6
  • Sad 4

[WOLFA]
Members
319 posts
21,471 battles
23 minutes ago, Zeus_cat said:

"John"also told me to say hi to "all his ship mates, and I will be back... "John's Wife"

God bless him and can come back soon (sorry, bad english here) 
  • Cool 4

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,204 posts
22,715 battles

All the best for his recovery and that's great that his wife understood his enthusiasm for WoWs and communicated these issues to his clan mates. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us!

• Cool 2

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,462 posts
14,934 battles
4 hours ago, Zeus_cat said:

Several weeks ago I received a private message from one of my clan mates.  It turned out to be from his wife.  She told me that "John" had had two heart attacks and a stroke.  Being in the clan and playing the game means a lot to him and he really wants to get back and be part of the clan again.  "John" spent a lot of time taking care of her and her health issues as she is not well either.  This game was a good distraction for him and it sounds like it will be good therapy for him when he gets back home.  So thank you WG for creating the game and giving "John" something to look forward to when he gets home. 

Here are the two updates I received from "John's" wife yesterday.  I wanted to share them with WG and the community.  The only modifications I made to her notes were to modify and remove names. 

"John" wanted me to tell you he will be home on the 1 or 2 of next mnth. "John" does not speak very well now and is embarrassed by that. "John" also has lost about 20% of the use of his left hand, and left foot and leg. "John" is really wanting to come home so he can be normal oncemore. "John" really wants to play his game and the PT told me It would be good him. if there are changes I will let you know. Thank you. "John's Wife"

Aloha,

Though I am saddened to hear of this. I am also happy that the community can be an outlet in this time.

Please pass on from all of us, to his wife and him that we hope he gets home safe, takes care of him and his and that he doesn't have to hurry back. We'll all be here when he's ready!

Mahalo,

-Hapa

• Cool 6

[WOLFC]
Members
252 posts
10,316 battles

Things like this is why I never call out anyone in game or stalk them after game in private chat to berate them, because you never know who is on the other end. It could be someone like the OP's John getting back into the game. I just never do it period. I hope MR John makes a speedy recovery and gets back to having fun in game!!

• Cool 7

[WOLF5]
Members
1,343 posts
10,351 battles

o7 John and spouse.....

[PVE]
Members
4,974 posts
21,918 battles

I

22 hours ago, Zeus_cat said:

I play the game one handed and if John wants some ideas to make playing one handed easier, PM me and I'll walk through what a few of us that are hand handicapped do........

• Cool 3

[-BCO-]
Members
1,669 posts
2,898 battles

Wish him well and speedy recovery from my part. I know ( all too well)the difficult road he is facing.

• Cool 2

Members
331 posts
4,672 battles

This is why I recommend folks not report or attack somebody just for playing poorly in game - you have no idea what pain or misery they may be suffering through. Obviously, different if they are intentionally attacking allies, trying to get in your way, or typing horrible things in chat, of course. I recall from another game I used to play that some wise-guy was mocking some other player for playing a long-range missile mech vs. something considered more effective. The target of the insults replied that he only had the use of one arm/hand, so that was the only type of mech he could really play... chat was rather silent after that.

I wish John a speedy recovery and it's nice to see empathy in an online game; we're all just ships passing each other in the night, but stopping to appreciate each other is worth the effort.

Edited by old_radagast
  • Cool 3

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
37 posts
20,177 battles

Pass this on to John.

Don't give up, don't despair. I too have been in your situation where life dealt me the loss of function of my limbs. I worked hard, time and effort will pay off in the return of your abilities. You may not get it all back but any progress is good progress. Head up! Chest out Sailor! My best to you sincerely.

• Cool 2

[ARC]
Members
1,065 posts
11,408 battles

Things like this is why I never berate people that don't play as pros. I'm young (26 yo), but I understand there are some people who are older that play this game for fun. I can't remember his IG name right now, but there was a player that was a retired police officer, one of the best marksman of his unit, and he was mortified to fail shots that should have been a piece of cake for him if it were not for his health deteriorating. 

For "Jhon", I can only hope he gets well soon and continue to play this game, which he seems to enjoy as much as I do.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
7,560 posts
23,541 battles

GL to you & your wife "John" & hoping for a speedy recovery to you both...& thanx for posting OP.

[O_S_D]
Members
224 posts
17,637 battles

UPDATE:  I heard from "John" today.  His message is below.  He looks to be having a lot of difficulty, but will be trying hard to recover.  I responded to him that he is more than welcome in our clan.  

i am going to try to play. i sent ****** a long msg. my wife is helping me ****** can give all the details. i cant use left hand well and am having problems working things out but i have nurse and speech therapist and i have to get better so i can take care of my wife. i get confused now. i just came home from the stroke rehab. and i dont like the nurse at my home. if you guys di=ont want me on team i understand. im going to try to play game now.

[O_S_D]
Members
224 posts
17,637 battles

"John" is back home, getting therapy and playing the game once in a while.  When "John" suggested that he drop out of the clan because he couldn't play at the same level he used to, I decided to ask clan members to show him support by sending him some Santa containers.  I sent a message to my clan mates asking if they could send "John" a container this past weekend.  "John" got some containers and was thrilled.

"John" and his wife sent me the following messages:

From Sunday:   

Thank you for every thing you have done. This is "John's wife".   "John" is so with out words. He does not understand how people can be so kind, and he thanks you very much. He does not type so I am typing for him to help. "John" really thinks your all tops, and so do I. Thank you does not have the power to show how much this has made "John" feel, and you have made his day. This will help him. Thank you ! "John's wife" and for "John", Thank you ,and Gos Bless.

From Monday

this is "John". i want to thank you for all of your kind support. i have never seenthis kind of compassion, love, camaraderie. this is a blessing. thank you so very much for doing this. i know thank you is a small word.i wish i knew a word with the power to say how i feel. you, and all of the rest have made life seem a little better.

[-OG-]
Members
287 posts
9,046 battles

Sometimes I'm infuriated by this game and the dumb decisions WG has made over the last two years but this is one of the sweetest things I've ever read. Stay strong John I hope to see you on the virtual seas! O7

• Cool 1