You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Steel_Castles

Crossover 20 ?

10 comments in this topic

[USCPO]
[USCPO]
Members
79 posts

First, I have to say this. If I was one that has invested over a grand (I am one of them)  I would be very upset (and I am) after reading that wargaming has given up on Mac support.

And that is all I'm going to say about that since I need to keep my blood pressure normal.

Yes I know of all the potential solutions :-)

How about crossover 20? Does this new version allow Wow's to be run on the Mac?

FYI...  Boot Camp really is the best solution to this problem, however Apple just took that one away from us with the new M1 mac's. I never found parallels sufficiently powerful to run it.

I have a solution now, but I am trading my current MacBook Pro in for an M1 version and I'm losing Boot Camp. 

• Haha 1

[A-D-F]
Members
478 posts
16,375 battles

Apple stopped being a "Computer" company over a decade ago, when they changed their name form Apple Computers to Apple and became mostly a cell phone company.

You would probably have better luck installing Windows on PS5 / Xbox SX (dx12) than on anything new that Apple makes...

Than again Warships is not that resource intensive, you could probably get a cheap used ~7 year old Dell/HP or any other business desktop/ tower and add a cheap GPU.
Heck i am still on a AMD 1090t CPU and HD 6950 GPU (~10 year old hardware )

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,206 posts
22,715 battles

Sounds like your better solution would be to get a Windows gaming rig. But I know you can't tell Mac users to bend the knee...

• Cool 2

[VORTX]
Members
567 posts
7,464 battles

Apple has unfortunately been moving farther and farther from releasing products for working professionals in the creative industry for a long time now. It’s too bad because I very much prefer their OS and working on their older machines. They are just so simple and function so well. First they made their hardware very difficult too mod, and now they OS seems to becoming more and more difficult to work with. I don’t blame WG from moving away from their complexities given the small number of players that use them. Luckily in my own situation boot camp is still an option.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,753 posts
4,272 battles

If you're trading in the MacBook anyway sounds like the solution is to get a Windows machine...:Smile_hiding:

WG never officially supported Mac OS, it just happened to work on Mac and they had a couple people who kept it working. But it's always been the case that if you wanted WOWS to run reliably you needed to get with the rest of the gaming world and use Windows.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,278 posts

Mac stopped being revelant long ago. We quit studying macintosh in college IT one year. That is that. Probably with all them Apple products carefully designed not to be with a long life and must be replaced by a new generation of Apples to keep up with joneses.

Windows is where it's at for gaming excluding for the moment AMD and Nvidia. (Ive done both hardware builds, some successes in AMD believe it or not. But mainly Nvidia) Has been since the early 90's

That was a time where you had commodore, Apple II C and E (That was some of the first simulation gaming in color other than Tandy off a Cassette Tape drive) and other off types of computers with some software made for them. Eventually in a decade all that was sold was windows. If you wanted to run something else like linux you found a emulator.

Today to look at a Macintosh computer is to think oh god what a waste of good dollars. You cannot do too much with it and even if you did it has to stay on just that system.

If you went to a Bank ATM chances are its running a form of lite windows OS in some form. (Would be something I did not learn about back then in college along with all the other Windows OS's like 2000, Unix etc)

With smartphones having the computing power that desktops did 20 years ago or better, Andriod is evolving into a valid OS on it's own. I wonder sometimes if it is possible to install Android onto a older desktop or laptop and have a go.

Edited by xHeavy

[GOB]
Members
2,709 posts

It's not WG's or anyone else's fault but Apples. 

Their business model of closed ecosystem on steroids is the problem and that is their own fault.

One of my kids needs a software program on her Mac for work.. it has the latest OSX on it.  a .0001 PATCH came out and without it she cannot work on the mac... Do you understand that.. an entire software program is broken permanently by a .00001 UPDATE in MAC..

Mac intentionally breaks it's own products 3 years old so they cannot get updates.

FYI it's 100% fake.. I have the latest OSX running on an Imac that was blocked from running anything past leopard.

They just got hit by a huge fine for throttling (secretly) peoples phones just a week or so ago.

If anyone deserves your anger is Apple.

Past that , everyone has known the habits of apple for decades so it really comes down to buyer beware.

[SHADY]
Members
1 post
3,703 battles

much of what has been said in this thread about Apple and how they handle their operating system upgrades is true .  much of what has been said about hardware upgrades is ALSO true… How can you excuse soldering memory into a motherboard ?  it’s unbelievable that they get away with what they do .

that being said if you want to run world of war ships on your Mac M1 it looks like that’s going to be totally possible .   someone is already doing it getting 60 FPS .

Mac support today for world of warships is completely through third-party efforts and counts on wine emulation.   The apple m1 processor is so good it is now emulating Intel faster than its fastest until laptops already.  if you think I’m making that crap up because I’m a fan boy please go back and read my first paragraph.  it’s just a fact.  this is more than a translation layer… Apple designed some of the Intel instruction set directly into their chip. 

I run world of warships on my Mac today, but I do it in boot camp. You won’t be able to do that anymore.  but there will be perfect Windows emulation.

Both Vmware my former company and parallels are working on M1 versions. With the intel emulation being as strong as it is,  they are likely to achieve spectacular results emulating all the Intel operating systems.  both Vmware and parallels have already been focusing on directX support- especially parallels .   I tried out parallels with world of warships and wasn’t so impressed but it will only get better.  that being said I run it on a 2012 Mac .  

whatever Microsoft is doing today won’t matter much long-term.  apple’s chip’s so strong with so much less power consumption that the whole world is going to be forced to quickly emulate what they’re doing and windows without a doubt will be running on arm and much better. It’s going to take a while though.  that’s my opinion but it seems pretty obvious .  AMD is already fastidiously making their M1.  The numbers are so good on that chip like I said... no way they are going to be left in the dust.

As far as Macs being irrelevant think again. This is the number one computer google engineers use on campus and it’s not just Google. Everyone uses Mac laptops to develop especially if you are working on mobile software because the apples will do a much better job creating iPhone applications .   as for the M1 Mac, iPhone applications now run native so if anything this will increase.  

The cloud engineers could care less about that but Apple has been an extremely good UNIX/Linux platform for years now and it is absolutely perfect for cloud engineering .   in general it’s a much smoother experience and the package managers and terminal programs for Mac have been out shining windows for a long long time. 

sorry to waste your time on that but just to be clear despite deserving it, the Mac is far from dead ;-) 

https://www.reddit.com/r/macgaming/comments/jw5ir4/wow_on_m1_macbook_air_4050fps_on_high/

Edited by HarrimanNelson
  • Cool 1