Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Croda

Why Is There a Daily Limit On Compliments?

29 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

288
[WWJWD]
Beta Testers
257 posts
9,568 battles

We all know that the Karma system is terrible and pointless.  But jeez, at least let me compliment the people who deserve it?  I agree with a limit on reports.  As a matter of fact, I'd get rid of reports because it's just something that angry people use to vent, 50% of the time on ppl who don't deserve it.  But compliments?  Let me compliment everyone if they did well.    Telling people they did well is a pretty ridiculous thing to limit.

  • Cool 5
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
288
[WWJWD]
Beta Testers
257 posts
9,568 battles
14 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Unlimited?  You'd be able to compliment everybody.  I don't see a need to make this a "Gold Medal for All."

Do you really think that would happen?  People get reported far more than complimented in this game.  Do you feel that's right?

While I have no interest in a "Gold Medal for All," I'd rather err towards that than towards what we have now where nobody compliments anyone.  It just seems like a very odd thing to limit.  We want team play and a friendly community, but not too much.  Too much friendliness is dangerous AF.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,136
[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,244 posts
12,113 battles
51 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Unlimited?  You'd be able to compliment everybody.  I don't see a need to make this a "Gold Medal for All."

Complement everybody "gold metal for all"  barley anyone complements anyone unless there famous or in there division  . I mean you cant bye a complement get a kraken no complement get 2400 base xp no complement die early down vote say anything people don't like down vote . I stink but even when I play well I barley ever get complemented . I complement anybody who gets a kraken or over 2000 base XP regardless which side there on . With that being said I usually have plenty of complements for the day . .

 

Edited by clammboy
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,624
[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,364 battles
52 minutes ago, Croda said:

We all know that the Karma system is terrible and pointless.  But jeez, at least let me compliment the people who deserve it?  I agree with a limit on reports.  As a matter of fact, I'd get rid of reports because it's just something that angry people use to vent, 50% of the time on ppl who don't deserve it.  But compliments?  Let me compliment everyone if they did well.    Telling people they did well is a pretty ridiculous thing to limit.

Karma farming.  It sounds stupid and it is but you should never underestimate the player base in that regard.

The other thing it does is give a tiny bit of value to positive karma which gives you a couple more compliments to hand out.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
288
[WWJWD]
Beta Testers
257 posts
9,568 battles
Just now, CommodoreKang said:

Karma farming.  It sounds stupid and it is but you should never underestimate the player base in that regard.

The other thing it does is give a tiny bit of value to positive karma which gives you a couple more compliments to hand out.   

what about the idea of focusing on being nice to people?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,892
[FML]
Members
4,148 posts
16,060 battles
54 minutes ago, Croda said:

We all know that the Karma system is terrible and pointless.  But jeez, at least let me compliment the people who deserve it?  I agree with a limit on reports.  As a matter of fact, I'd get rid of reports because it's just something that angry people use to vent, 50% of the time on ppl who don't deserve it.  But compliments?  Let me compliment everyone if they did well.    Telling people they did well is a pretty ridiculous thing to limit.

I too often use all my compliments through the day. One solution is to get more karma so you can get up to 11. But I agree I’d like there to be 50% more positive karma than negative to nudge people being nicer. Not sure about unlimited though - it would reduce its scarcity and thus make it less valuable. Imo. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
288
[WWJWD]
Beta Testers
257 posts
9,568 battles
1 minute ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I too often use all my compliments through the day. One solution is to get more karma so you can get up to 11. But I agree I’d like there to be 50% more positive karma than negative to nudge people being nicer. Not sure about unlimited though - it would reduce its scarcity and thus make it less valuable. Imo. 

Fair, but let me ask you this: is it really all that valuable now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,981
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,192 posts
10 minutes ago, Croda said:

Fair, but let me ask you this: is it really all that valuable now?

It must be since you want more. :cap_haloween:

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,892
[FML]
Members
4,148 posts
16,060 battles
7 minutes ago, Croda said:

Fair, but let me ask you this: is it really all that valuable now?

Scarcity creates some form of value as long as demand exists. 
 

For instance, I dole out compliments for particular things usually because of the major contribution that player did to the team. But if it was unlimited, I could just compliment everyone on my team each battle. Or just when they win. So now players who did really well get the same reward as someone who was lucky enough to be on my team, which would cheapen the reward. Or be confusing for the bottom player on your team who failed hard but got complimented for it making it take longer for them to understand this opaque game. Any form of limit would reduce that kind of spamming - and it’s moderately hard to use 20 compliments in a day when you just reward good individual performance of great team play due to the dearth of both in this game :-/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
313
[VOP]
Members
941 posts
30 minutes ago, clammboy said:

Complement everybody "gold metal for all"  barley anyone complements anyone unless there famous or in there division  . I mean you cant bye a complement get a kraken no complement get 2400 base xp no complement die early down vote say anything people don't like down vote . I stink but even when I play well I barley ever get complemented . I complement anybody who gets a kraken or over 2000 base XP regardless which side there on . With that being said I usually have plenty of complements for the day . .

 

You can't compliment someone in your division.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,015
[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,208 posts
22,715 battles
1 hour ago, Croda said:

We all know that the Karma system is terrible and pointless.  But jeez, at least let me compliment the people who deserve it?  I agree with a limit on reports.  As a matter of fact, I'd get rid of reports because it's just something that angry people use to vent, 50% of the time on ppl who don't deserve it.  But compliments?  Let me compliment everyone if they did well.    Telling people they did well is a pretty ridiculous thing to limit.

The daily limit on compliments (and reports) is the sole justification for having a karma system. There are no other benefits to karma but this one thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
510
[NEMO]
Members
829 posts
3,276 battles
1 hour ago, Croda said:

We all know that the Karma system is terrible and pointless.  But jeez, at least let me compliment the people who deserve it?  I agree with a limit on reports.  As a matter of fact, I'd get rid of reports because it's just something that angry people use to vent, 50% of the time on ppl who don't deserve it.  But compliments?  Let me compliment everyone if they did well.    Telling people they did well is a pretty ridiculous thing to limit.

I'd say they limit it because theirs not that many people that deserve a compliment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15,014
[ARGSY]
Members
23,058 posts
17,048 battles

I would increase the limit for being able to compliment or report to at least 30 minutes after the battle ends. Too often I get sunk, go and fight another battle, come back, and someone has produced an awesome level of surprise carry to save the win for us, yet that person will never get a comp because the battle I went into went on for too long. 

As things stand, this is even a problem in co-op.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,981
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,192 posts
38 minutes ago, wolfkind252 said:

I'd say they limit it because theirs not that many people that deserve a compliment?

Comps are good for when someone goes above and beyond the role they are expected to fill when playing a battle match in the game. I of course strive to keep my Karma at zero. 

I believe in the zen of Zero Karma. Shoot, I probably coined the term. :cap_haloween:

If my Karma inflates there's a problem. I must not be playing CVs enough. Or people stop noting my in-name game is Herr, shoot that's almost always a negative. "Hey, are you that dude on the forum..." Yup. Neg karma.

Unlike others, I feel if my karma gets out of single digits there's a really big problem. 

But honestly, I give out far more comps than I ever receive. Cause you know, tis better to give than receive. 

Oh - neg's count too.. they help others to maintain their zen of Zero Karma. :cap_like:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,106
[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,589 battles
3 hours ago, Croda said:

We all know that the Karma system is terrible hilarious and pointless. 

FTFY

2 hours ago, Croda said:

It just seems like a very odd thing to limit.

If it's terrible and pointless (or hilarious and pointless like I think it is), why would you care?

2 hours ago, Croda said:

what about the idea of focusing on being nice to people?

Something rare in Random battles, and unheard of in Ranked.

2 hours ago, Croda said:

is it really all that valuable now?

According to you ..... no.

47 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I believe in the zen of Zero Karma. Shoot, I probably coined the term.

The very first time you sailed out in a CV.

I don't understand how anyone has bad karma; I'm a horrible player, rarely survive any match I'm in, yell at people in matches when things don't go my way, am not overly cooperative or helpful, and my karma is through the roof.

@Herr_Reitz is a nice guy, helpful to others, reserved and restrained, plays a good game in whatever ship he's in, and he's lucky if his karma hits double digits. 

That alone should tell you exactly what it's worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,107
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,633 posts
25,666 battles
4 hours ago, Croda said:

Do you really think that would happen?  People get reported far more than complimented in this game.  Do you feel that's right?

While I have no interest in a "Gold Medal for All," I'd rather err towards that than towards what we have now where nobody compliments anyone.  It just seems like a very odd thing to limit.  We want team play and a friendly community, but not too much.  Too much friendliness is dangerous AF.

Yeah it would happen.  There's already been some people that ask for trades of compliments in a match.

 

You want a stop to a flood of negative karma from games?

1.  Stop saying stupid things in a match <- This right here is a major cause of negative karma.  I have friends who are fabulous players but are always on temporary chat ban or close to that happening because of the things they say in a game.  They are far better players than I ever will be, yet because of the things they say, they're always losing karma that even having dougle-digit karma is a miracle for them.  If they did less of their chat shennanigans they'd have a huge pile of karma.

 

2.  Play well and put on a show. <- Yes, there will be some salty poor losers, but people actually pay attention to good play and dish out +karma.  Play well and you'll get recognized.

 

I think there's a fair number of people spectating games even after they die.  You put on a good show, it will get seen and sometimes even comment on it during team match chat.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,981
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,192 posts
8 hours ago, Umikami said:

 

@Herr_Reitz is a nice guy, helpful to others, reserved and restrained, plays a good game in whatever ship he's in, and he's lucky if his karma hits double digits. 

That alone should tell you exactly what it's worth.

Aw :cap_wander: a compliment! 

Most folks would probably say that makes it darn right spot-on! 

Thanks tho'... and you're a joy too!  :cap_like:

There are a few folks out here I feel the same about but they end up in similar situations. Puzzling but nonetheless, there it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
288
[WWJWD]
Beta Testers
257 posts
9,568 battles
10 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I would increase the limit for being able to compliment or report to at least 30 minutes after the battle ends. Too often I get sunk, go and fight another battle, come back, and someone has produced an awesome level of surprise carry to save the win for us, yet that person will never get a comp because the battle I went into went on for too long. 

As things stand, this is even a problem in co-op.

I'm glad you mentioned this because I had intended to and forgot about it.  This happens all the time.

We all know the Karma system is not well thought out, but it's REALLY not well thought out.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
288
[WWJWD]
Beta Testers
257 posts
9,568 battles
7 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Yeah it would happen.  There's already been some people that ask for trades of compliments in a match.

I wholeheartedly agree that this is pretty stupid.  But so what?  Since Karma gains you nothing, what does it matter?

If Karma was linked to something tangible (like extra coal earnings or something) - and I am NOT suggesting it should be - then this would make a difference.  Right now, it's just a number that has no impact on anything.

My question is more asking what the rationale is for putting a hard cap on complimenting ppl after a game?  It's a bizarre thing to limit if that compliment is linked to no tangible benefit other than...I dunno, making someone feel good.  But then again based on the comments in here, surprisingly few people seem to care about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,981
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,192 posts
5 minutes ago, Croda said:

I wholeheartedly agree that this is pretty stupid.  But so what?  Since Karma gains you nothing, what does it matter?

If Karma was linked to something tangible (like extra coal earnings or something) - and I am NOT suggesting it should be - then this would make a difference.  Right now, it's just a number that has no impact on anything.

My question is more asking what the rationale is for putting a hard cap on complimenting ppl after a game?  It's a bizarre thing to limit if that compliment is linked to no tangible benefit other than...I dunno, making someone feel good.  But then again based on the comments in here, surprisingly few people seem to care about that.

My problem always has to do when you get a truly random but great team. You know the type of match, one heckuva battle fought on both sides, evenly matched, it gets settled only in the last few seconds? Or maybe it was a superstomp by you team, who someone came together and played that perfect game?

There's no easy means of complimenting the whole team. Or both teams in a well fought battle. Let alone then picking on or two key individuals per team... 

If they wanted something meaningful which could add value to players, a redesign would be much better than just bumping allowable amounts per day. 

tia fyc

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×