Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SeaRaptor

First Look: Tier X Italian Battleship Cristoforo Columbo

20 comments in this topic

[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors, WoWS Community Contributors
2,691 posts
13,303 battles

Atop the Italian battleship line sits Tier X's Cristoforo Columbo. That's a LOT of guns on one hull. But what makes this ship tick? Let's peel away the layers and see if we can find out.

• Thanks 6

[WPORT]
Members
7,859 posts
12,947 battles

My first thought when I read "Columbo".

Spoiler

GettyImages-140626219-1ca0aee.jpg?qualit

• Cool 5
  • Thanks 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,633 posts
25,666 battles

She looks a bit too strong to me, IMO.

Fabulous Main Battery

Strong SAP (RIP Cruisers and BB Superstructure)

Fast

50mm deck armor

Gimmicked up, protective Citadel

16 gun main battery IMO, will easily offset the 1.5 Sigma.  This game has a long history of low 1.5 / 1.6 Sigma BBs but are well liked because the sheer amount of guns (12-16) offsets the Sigma issue.

I really don't see the gun range as an issue.

I am willing to accept a long reload if there's a big payoff to the main battery.  Kansas, MinneSLOWta don't have that.  It remains to be seen if Vermont's 457mm x12 merits the base 40 seconds reload.  C.Columbo packs a powerful 16-gun salvo to SHOTGUN targets with a storm of SAP.

IMO, C.Colombo is a Tier VII Lyon doped up with a bunch of PEDs:  Faster, better armor, ITA BB SAP, and still sports 16-gun salvo.  Lyon has bad accuracy but her 16-gun salvos are a good payoff.  Lyon is also a well loved ship out of the FR BB Line.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[KWF]
Members
5,623 posts
6,924 battles

Nice video, though something pretty important that was omitted is that so far C.Colombo seems to have 360 degree  rear turrets.

Edited by warheart1992

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,568 posts
5,892 battles

It has a really stupid name that Italy would not have used.

[WOLF7]
Members
845 posts
[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,568 posts
5,892 battles
1 minute ago, HamAndCheez said:

The Fascist Italian government tended to look towards Roman stuff as they wanted to recreate the Roman empire.

Not saying the name wouldn't get used at all, just not on their biggest, baddest BB.

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,404 posts
10,628 battles

Thank you for the video.. but I disagree with your conclusions.

I base this on having faced this ship in randoms as it was being tested 5x. In each of those 5 times the Colombo was terrifying to face.

- Shotgun/Inaccurate guns : That is not what I saw or experienced. The guns are actually quite accurate in the sense that they will have a very high hit rate. It may not hit exactly where you aim (like soviet bias ships do) but it does hit...a lot. Why? Sigma does not decide accuracy. Its vertical dispersion+horizontal+sigma that does. The vert and horiz. determine the shape of the ellipse and sigma pushes the shells towards it center.

Comparing it to FUSO is incredibly unfair because IJN has the worst vertical dispersion so the shells are MOST likely to miss by going short or long.. horizontal dispersion is tight but what good does it do if the broadside target has the shells splashing short and long of it? Take a look at Kremlin's sigma and horizontal dispersion.. its rather close to Yamato but we all know Kremlin WILL land multiple citadels consistently while Yamato will whiff them consistently. Why? Vertical is much better in Kremlin and it gets much better as it gets close.

Colombo/italian BBs have much better vertical AND horizontal dispersion. Its hard to say precisely how its range stats change but it SEEMS to be that it has good horizontal up close and worsens significantly as it gets farther away..while vertical remains consistently 'good' ..not the best but good. Almost USN+artillery plot mod good. Its 16 guns also means the sigma while lower will still be packing a LOT of those 16s to hit the hull. So when you have that ship fire, it may spread the shells out but they WILL be hitting the hull of the target.

And this is what makes it so frightening... SAP.

- SAP ammo: I saw this ship in random before and after the damage nerf to SAP. Before AND after I literally saw it 4~5 salvo kill a bow-on kremlin. It was doing 28k~35k damage every salvo.. to a BOW ON kremlin. To my Yamato (also bow on) it just plugged 32k damage every salvo. After the damage reduction that came down to 28k k on Kremlins and 30k on Yamato.

SAP ammo also allowed this ship to blap cruisers regardless of angling or range. When you see a Stalingrad just lose half its health health in a single salvo while its bow on you realize how nutcake those Colombo guns are.

- Downsides of gun range/detection .. I find this balancing act to be actually functional. Its not a slow BB and it has spotter plane plus you can take either range mod or reload mod. This is interesting because Colombo's SAP allows it to HAMMER targets from any range no different as if it was at point blank. It can also do more damage inside its shorter range if reload mod is taken. So it balances out. Whichever you choose its really the player's choice of close or long range fighting that is really the choice here.

While its armor is not good but not bad either, the Colombo's secondaries even when short , combine with the SAP output.. that makes it a CRAZY good berserker brawler.

Your comments on it being hard to citadel are spot on though. Neither Yamato nor Kremlins managed to land decisive citadel hits on it.. it does seem to citadel like the french BBs.. at odd angles/places.

If its a coal ship I'll be grabbing one of them. The troll potential of it rivals Thunderer. Anything that makes soviet ships cry is worthy of being on my fleet XD

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,633 posts
25,666 battles

18.91km max gun range isn't an issue for this ship, even in Tier X.  The majority of your shooting is less than that anyways.  Long Range fighting along the likes of 20km+ isn't common for regular BBs.  Besides, C.Colombo has Spotting Aircraft access to cover those times when she does need to fire at long range.

Normal BBs aren't the Slava / Champagne types.

This BB is going to hand some nasty, surprising bursts of damage on people.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[ARC]
Members
1,066 posts
11,415 battles
1 hour ago, Skyfaller said:

If its a coal ship I'll be grabbing one of them. The troll potential of it rivals Thunderer. Anything that makes soviet ships cry is worthy of being on my fleet XD

C. Colombo is going to be a Tech Tree ship.

Edited by hanesco

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,404 posts
10,628 battles
2 hours ago, hanesco said:

C. Colombo is going to be a Tech Tree ship.

Good. Then the T10 BB coal ship is probably going to be at least as good gun wise. :)

[ARC]
Members
1,066 posts
11,415 battles
55 minutes ago, Skyfaller said:

Good. Then the T10 BB coal ship is probably going to be at least as good gun wise. :)

As far as I know, the Premium ship being tested with the new line is a tier IX one, so it will probably be available with coal.

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,314 posts
6,545 battles
12 hours ago, Helstrem said:

It has a really stupid name that Italy would not have used.

Oink! Totally agree. Il Duce would have never accepted that. Maybe Italia? Camicia Nera? Goltz.

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,404 posts
10,628 battles
3 hours ago, franz_von_goltz said:

Oink! Totally agree. Il Duce would have never accepted that. Maybe Italia? Camicia Nera? Goltz.

They could've called it the Da Vinci or the Medici ...

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,153 posts
6,239 battles

This line has one purpose: to bring everyone else back into balance. 

SAP is designed to deal hard damage faster than HE. Its goal is to break up the bow tanking meta and get people moving. When someone sees a good chunk vanish they tend to flee faster than someone with one or two fires. 

The major drawback of SAP: if the target is already saturated it loses effectiveness. Hence why people grab the range mod on Veni over reload, they need to land shots in the open stages of the games. 

I've seen Columbo smash people, and I'm all for an obscene Spaghetti Monster. 

[HINON]
Members
8,641 posts
12,575 battles

if Columbo's 15 inch guns are doing this much damage, imagine what the T9 premiums guns are going to do with them being 16 inchers and iirc, its more accurate with a, i think, 1.8 sigma, and its SAP shells, last i saw, hit for the same amount that a US AP shell does on a citadel, over 15K

Edited by tcbaker777

[ARB_1]
Members
17 posts
3,365 battles

Does the Cristoforo Columbo go West with the intent to end up in the East?   

(That would be a cool super power to be able to transit the map edge directly from A Column to H Column and vice versa...)

Christopher Columbus.jpg

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,324 posts
On 11/19/2020 at 6:04 PM, warheart1992 said:

Nice video, though something pretty important that was omitted is that so far C.Colombo seems to have 360 degree  rear turrets.

One of them does.

Cuts down on the lost waiting for at least one aft to be on target after a 180 turn around.

I usually get BB's that have that feature because there are times you need at least one of those turrets to be across your own beam and now firing on the opposite tack. Sometimes I have been sunk waiting on that aft turret to rotate all the way around.

Once I settled into being good with the JBB's four gun turrets its no problem transitioning to the Columbo. Its a good ship, but much much more dangerous the closer you can get.

There is one BB capable of deleting Columbo essentially if it lands many rounds AP into it. The Japanese Skinshima. Don't worry by the time you hear one firing the shells are going to arrive very quickly after that and you are finished with the battle.

I generally dont bother with SAP or super heavy AP's it just applies too much burn time against the ship which is truly massive in DOT and TIme elasped.

Edited by xHeavy

Sign in to follow this