You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GeneralHalt

Why no Mac....really?

21 comments in this topic

[PIRAT]
Members
1 post

So I see that there's these wrappers and such but the real questions is why Does WoW not have Mac compatibility.....  A lot of the young crowds are converting over to Macs for schooling and such as they grow up.. Hell myself have a MacBook Pro that I wanted to play WoW on... Yes I got my monster gaming PC at home but for work and schooling and things Mac Is far superior... But maybe at work I want to play a few matches...  My daughter also has a Mac but she cannot play as well....

So my question to WoW is if you are complaining about Numbers and players going down why are you not trying to get this game into the Mac community and boost those numbers.. I know for a fact you would bring new players in.... Just saying changing times and I see a more Mac coming in the next years as the kids grow... They are brought up on iPhones and Iwatchs and AirPods and etc.... 

Okay Venting over... See you out there on the open seas... I just had a spare fews minutes and was upset I couldn't game on my Mac lol

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3

[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,893 battles

Wargaming looked at the cost of what it take to continue supporting Mac and compared it with the playerbase on Mac and the profits they brought in and decided it wasnt worth it to continue to offering that client. The apple die hards i know avoid mac pcs period when it comes to gaming.

• Thanks 2

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,719 posts
12,524 battles
27 minutes ago, GeneralHalt said:

So I see that there's these wrappers and such but the real questions is why Does WoW not have Mac compatibility.....  A lot of the young crowds are converting over to Macs for schooling and such as they grow up.. Hell myself have a MacBook Pro that I wanted to play WoW on... Yes I got my monster gaming PC at home but for work and schooling and things Mac Is far superior... But maybe at work I want to play a few matches...  My daughter also has a Mac but she cannot play as well....

So my question to WoW is if you are complaining about Numbers and players going down why are you not trying to get this game into the Mac community and boost those numbers.. I know for a fact you would bring new players in.... Just saying changing times and I see a more Mac coming in the next years as the kids grow... They are brought up on iPhones and Iwatchs and AirPods and etc.... 

Okay Venting over... See you out there on the open seas... I just had a spare fews minutes and was upset I couldn't game on my Mac lol

Younger crowd???  Mac has always been music and graphic arts.. not gaming.  I played golf on the black/white on back in the day come on.

[W-P-E]
[W-P-E]
Members
349 posts
24,696 battles

Just think about what can be done with the new M1...

[WOLF8]
Members
7,744 posts
6,513 battles
2 hours ago, Nachoo31 said:

Younger crowd???  Mac has always been music and graphic arts.. not gaming.

^ This.

I guess OP hasn't been paying attention to the past announcements? The discontinued support for Mac OS has been announced (and done) not too long ago.

And this is the first time I've heard about younger crowds preferring Mac over PC for gaming. AFAIK, it's other way around. When it comes to PC gaming, the PC has an iron grip... and Mac is more of an afterthought, if there's any support for it. I heard that a lot of Mac based gamers just dual boot Windows, or get a separate PC for gaming purposes... and that includes gaming laptops for some people... just saying. :Smile_smile:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,639 posts
25,100 battles

Just use Bootcamp and install Windows, it works fine assuming your computer can handle it. Personally I found it easier just to stop spending money on the game and using those funds to buy a PC. The upside was I found a whole bunch of games to play, many that are far more fun than the Wargaming titles. The PC is great and security isn't a problem because I use it strickly for gaming, all my personal information, email, and financial information is only on my Mac. I saved so much money when I quit spending on the game that I even got a big, beautiful curved monitor! 

[WG]
Administrator, Developers
1,789 posts
10,844 battles
16 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

Just use Bootcamp and install Windows, it works fine assuming your computer can handle it. Personally I found it easier just to stop spending money on the game and using those funds to buy a PC. The upside was I found a whole bunch of games to play, many that are far more fun than the Wargaming titles. The PC is great and security isn't a problem because I use it strickly for gaming, all my personal information, email, and financial information is only on my Mac. I saved so much money when I quit spending on the game that I even got a big, beautiful curved monitor! 

There are still ways Mac players can play World of Warships after support for our Mac wrapper ends. 

You can find detailed information here:

https://na.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wows/article/15628/

Members
12,593 posts
14,320 battles
35 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

There are still ways Mac players can play World of Warships after support for our Mac wrapper ends. 

Really is crazy idea for WOWs to never have fully embraced MAC as a platform, then wondered why MAC player numbers never skyrocketed too much. If WOWs dev team had taken the time to fully integrate a Mac version of the game they could have saved money on advertising as a good game like WOWs would have been prominently displayed / promoted on the iTunes App Store.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

[USCG]
Members
737 posts
22,550 battles

I was a devoted Mac user way back when. Was easy to operate and worked well for me, except when it came to gaming. 

I remember going into numerous gaming stores with shelves and shelves of PC games only to find a single milk crate with Mac games in the back. 

It took a bit to change to PC but I must admit, I’m VERY glad I did. So much more variety...wonderful!

However...I do have an iPhone...

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,718 posts
14,867 battles
19 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

The newest Mac's don't have boot camp so the only way for them is to play now is to buy a PC for gaming.

18 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Really is crazy idea for WOWs to never have fully embraced MAC as a platform, then wondered why MAC player numbers never skyrocketed too much. If WOWs dev team had taken the time to fully integrate a Mac version of the game they could have saved money on advertising as a good game like WOWs would have been prominently displayed / promoted on the iTunes App Store.

There were never enough Mac users to justify more than the wrapper and making it run natively would have required a complete rewrite of the code.

• Cool 1

[SCREW]
Members
431 posts
19,044 battles

How is this still a thing? Y'all are complaining like Mac was ever designed for games. Think of it like your i phone. Every year it gets more expensive, and every year it gets less useful. The issue isn't really with WG. The problem is apple just has to be that much different. Get yourself a cheap pc. You spend thousands of dollars on a phone, why not spend 500 for something that actually works?

Members
12,593 posts
14,320 battles
On 11/21/2020 at 12:12 PM, BrushWolf said:

The newest Mac's don't have boot camp so the only way for them is to play now is to buy a PC for gaming.

There were never enough Mac users to justify more than the wrapper and making it run natively would have required a complete rewrite of the code.

Because the code for WOWs was always broken to begin with. 

[-GDP-]
Members
7 posts
5,615 battles

So yea -many of the posts on here on Mac's  "Back in the Day"  SMH.  I've been a Apple user for over 30 years.  I once had a slew of PC Laptops they lasted about 1 year each.  I travel quite a bit.  But I've been playing War Gaming since 2016.  Both World Of Tanks, World of Tank Blitz and World of Warships.  I've spent some serious cabbage on Premium time, Doubloons, and Ships. ( quite honestly more than double what I have spent on all other gaming in my life) I've reached Tier X on several lines and reset 2 for RB.   I managed to get my son interested. He loves it.  But he's a Apple User as well.   For Thrawn Yes the new M1s are not boot camp capable. But they are Parallels capable.  The best solution is Running Crossover with Steam.  What I would like to know is if WG would let Apple Players Migrate their account to Steam ( they do not allow it at this time, have to start new again I say F THAT! )  That would allow many of us who are great revenue sources to continue to play, - In Clans, Ranked ect.   For all the Collections i've put together,  Ships i've ground for and time I've spent, it seems like a simple thing for WG to retain players.   And for players to continue to have choices on their platform.  The new M1 Chip even in a Macbook Air is a snot wiper for all but the very Highest Portables.  So why WG?  Steam can be the portal and you can keep playership.  In NA Server Many are now working/schooling from home and Mac Sales are up.   This seems a bit short sighted move at this point IMHO. 

and to answer the statement "go by a PC" I'm not buying a dedicated Laptop and carry it around the globe.  If I cannot play on the one platform I have then I'll spend my discretionary  income elsewhere.  Too back though I love WG's offerings even if they are heavy on "suck every $ out of you"  model. 

On 11/20/2020 at 6:12 PM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yea, I pretty sure i know why they didn't  go to full Mac version game. Fortnite just saw how Apple can be Heavy handed on a Revenue model.  And putting a Game on the AppStore Free with IN App purchases- Apple would want their Cut.  They are seeing this with World Of Warships Blitz and World of Tanks Blitz and I'd bet they are not enthused to do the same with their flagship games WOT, WOWS, and they never went in for WOA.  

[-GDP-]
Members
7 posts
5,615 battles
On 11/20/2020 at 6:12 PM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Gneisen.. The Big question is if one pays $$ for GEOFORCE option will it allow me to keep my IGN and progress attained?  I'd go with Steam but it seems no joy unless Upper Mgt allows it. 

[-GDP-]
Members
7 posts
5,615 battles
On 11/19/2020 at 4:18 PM, Princess_Daystar said:

Wargaming looked at the cost of what it take to continue supporting Mac and compared it with the playerbase on Mac and the profits they brought in and decided it wasnt worth it to continue to offering that client. The apple die hards i know avoid mac pcs period when it comes to gaming.

Yes, i can agree i have to use PC for work and It literally makes me sick.   Gates code was and is crap.  Every PC laptop i owed always ended up with the Blue Screen of Death.  I've owned 4 Macbook Pros and the oldest one finally passed over the final bar at 12 years old.  Current one is Late 2014 almost 7 years old and can still run WOWS 

• Cool 1

[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,893 battles
2 hours ago, RoaringTrebuchet said:

Yes, i can agree i have to use PC for work and It literally makes me sick.   Gates code was and is crap.  Every PC laptop i owed always ended up with the Blue Screen of Death.  I've owned 4 Macbook Pros and the oldest one finally passed over the final bar at 12 years old.  Current one is Late 2014 almost 7 years old and can still run WOWS 

Youve been unlucky.

I have a laptop from 2002 that still functions(Battery dont work), have windows XP currently installed on it so i can play older games. I had issues with an HP laptop, and an earlier gaming laptop that i broke and fried respectively, but the Predator i have now? No issues at all and its a few years old now.

Desktop/Tower wise the only bad experience ive had was one that ran Vista, which i fried with a virus. All the issues were my fault, not the codes. The tower i have now has one problem and its 0 storage space.

[ICOP]
Members
5 posts
3,702 battles

Amazingly World of Warships runs on my M1 Mac Mini in Rosetta2-- pretty impressive that an 8GB computer low power chip with integrate graphics can translate a different architecture's CPU code that's translating a different OS's system calls BETTER than it runs (with the wrapper) on my Intel iMac i7 (3.4ghz quad) with a dedicated GTX 680 MX GPU.

Needless to say it runs WAY better running Windows on that same iMac, but still -- imagine if, rather than cancel the Mac Version, the World of Warships team would develop a native universal binary?   The Apple Silicon performance is only going to go WAY up from here... As it is the base models of their most popular machines currently run way more powerfully than the vast majority of wintel machines out there. 

[-GDP-]
Members
7 posts
5,615 battles
On 11/19/2020 at 4:18 PM, Princess_Daystar said:

You see, there is the problem.  You don't knw me.  I like it clean and simple. and the adage the "customer is always right" is lost on our European friends.   I shudder to think at the $ i spent on Santa crates, Dubloons. Ships, And sheer time i've spent playing, grinding and for the most part enjoying the games both in PTS, WOTB.  I added it up, all the $$ invested in Games - I can remember that is- WG has garnered 3 x the cash revenue of ALL COMBINED GAMING expenditures i've made in the last 30 years.  That's every Console, every game, every software bought. Literally thousands of dollars have gone into dubloons to convert Free XP, Flags, Camos, select Premium ships and Premium time. And that from a MAC user. I like their games - I don't like their business practices - always.  I spent a chunk on Santa crates even knowing in 2 updates my Mac would be useless on WOWS.  I did not ask for a refund. But WG did, with this [edited] business decision. Tip me over the edge to get set up a bootcamp external SSD running windows.  My WG drive if you will.  And i started playing WOWP. ( neat but not as mature as WOWS)  I'm no Super Uni. I'm sub 50% But I'm sure i represent a fair number of trackable revenue sources for WG.  I elected to stay but many will flip the bird and sail away to [edited] or others. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,639 posts
25,100 battles
6 hours ago, RoaringTrebuchet said:

You see, there is the problem.  You don't knw me.  I like it clean and simple. and the adage the "customer is always right" is lost on our European friends.   I shudder to think at the $ i spent on Santa crates, Dubloons. Ships, And sheer time i've spent playing, grinding and for the most part enjoying the games both in PTS, WOTB.  I added it up, all the $$ invested in Games - I can remember that is- WG has garnered 3 x the cash revenue of ALL COMBINED GAMING expenditures i've made in the last 30 years.  That's every Console, every game, every software bought. Literally thousands of dollars have gone into dubloons to convert Free XP, Flags, Camos, select Premium ships and Premium time. And that from a MAC user. I like their games - I don't like their business practices - always.  I spent a chunk on Santa crates even knowing in 2 updates my Mac would be useless on WOWS.  I did not ask for a refund. But WG did, with this [edited] business decision. Tip me over the edge to get set up a bootcamp external SSD running windows.  My WG drive if you will.  And i started playing WOWP. ( neat but not as mature as WOWS)  I'm no Super Uni. I'm sub 50% But I'm sure i represent a fair number of trackable revenue sources for WG.  I elected to stay but many will flip the bird and sail away to [edited] or others. 

This story is much like my own except I saw the writing on the wall a few years ago. The PR disaster and the CV rework made me close my wallet and Wargaming will never get one more penny from me. I took the money that I spent on their games and saved it up, purchased a nice PC with a really cool curved monitor, and can play now without worrying about figuring out how to get the games to work on my Mac. The upside is I found many other PC games I enjoy, so I spend very little time playing Wargaming titles any more. The downside is my den looks like NASA control with all the computers..... I think I can live with that...... 

Edited by Taylor3006

Members
4 posts
7,956 battles

I always find it interesting when developers complain about difficulty in programing for this OS or that OS. Yet other developers have no problem doing so. In example, everything Blizzard publishes runs on MacOS and Windows. With the advent of the new M1 CPUs, not only do their products run, they outperform their Windows counterparts in speed and stability. Since I have 3 Macs and 4 Windows PCs, I'll continue using Warships on my desktop PC. When Wargaming wakes up and smells the coffee, I'll be waiting with my M1 Mac.

[WKY12]
Members
7 posts
1,616 battles

For those wondering about the lack of Mac in gaming, and not just WoWS, there arent enough of you to justify hiring an entire 2nd team of Devs for current version of MacOS, and about another third of Dev team to handle previous version issues. 

Remember your only talking about 3% of the home computer use at its peak. It's not a friendly programming environment due to Apple's licensing and submission requirements. It's not all easy as y'all think. This is why hardly anybody does it anymore, it's just not worth it. You can easily dedicate 3 or 4 dev's for Linux adaptions because many of the coding programmers are already familiar with Linux Distro's and there is almost no fee or red tape requirements to deal with it. Oddly, is easier to adapt Linux to MacOs than Win10, because thats all MacOs really is, with shiney bits to make it more visually appealing for the less option minded users. Why give up 40% of the retail price (Only sold in their store for your dubloons etc btw, Apple has policies ya know) for almost triple the expense of creating. Then you are dealing with waiting for the PC and MacOs to release at same time. Are you willing to wait 2 weeks for Apple approval on a hot bug fix to resume playing?  Not to mention the Mods to the user interface, yet another set of headaches along those lines.

You are more than welcome to continue paying for your 3 grand laptop from Mac, free market choice. Your also welcome to continue having fun with that MacPro for how much???  (2 or 3 PC upgrades worth Pre-Covid) The general market HAS spoken. the new M-1 isn't all that, when you can only use Apple approved machines in an Apple approved configuration, with Apple approved software ONLY. 

Overall, Apple just isn't worth it and your not going to cough up that kind of money to make it worthwhile.

The Market has spoken loud and clear on that.

• Cool 1