Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Prometheus_Common

BB's should be able to choose HE for secondary (for DD intervention)

26 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

100
[-TRM-]
Members
262 posts
14,588 battles

I think to better address a Battleships abilities, shouldn't a captain be able to load both AP and HE  (secondary's with HE shells to counter dd's attack ?).  I mean, BB's aren't able to depend (especially in random), on any assistance from team members when trying to lay suppression and interdiction while focusing on an opposition force. while mounting AP to hit Cruisers and or enemy BB's, a battleships slow traverse speed (guns), poor manuverability once stationed, a bb should be able to have HE at the ready. Main runs (AP), secondary's HE all at once. Just a thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,624
[HINON]
Members
8,638 posts
12,566 battles

iirc, the Japanese BBs used to have secondaries that fired AP and others that fired HE, then WG changed secondaries to only fire HE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
361
[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,196 posts
16,990 battles
2 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

iirc, the Japanese BBs used to have secondaries that fired AP and others that fired HE, then WG changed secondaries to only fire HE

This.  I don't remember which IJN BB's had AP secondaries, but if I recall correctly, it only applied to their larger secondary guns.  The smaller ones used HE.  As a note, all of Roma's secondaries fired AP then.

 

5 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I thought that BB secondaries were all HE now.

They do now,  Don't recall when they made the change though.:cap_hmm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,652
[WOLF8]
Members
7,749 posts
6,513 battles
24 minutes ago, Volron said:

They do now,  Don't recall when they made the change though.:cap_hmm:

I think it was at least over an year ago... or was it around two years ago? I don't remember for sure, lol. :Smile_hiding:

However, I do remember reading about some people bemoaning the loss of the AP secondaries, saying something like how they were still useful for a rare "surprise citadel" on some thinly armored cruisers, or something... lel. :Smile_hiding:

Edited by Blorgh2017
lol spelling
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,400
[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,795 posts
7,415 battles

Wish granted... go back and check your BBs.. they are all firing HE now..  You're welcome.  

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,652
[WOLF8]
Members
7,749 posts
6,513 battles
Just now, Sirzin_6 said:

I dont see it with my yamato

At your port, select your Yamato, open the Artillery tab at the right side of your screen, and hover your mouse over the secondary guns. It'll show a list of the gun characteristics, including the shell type.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
100
[-TRM-]
Members
262 posts
14,588 battles
1 minute ago, iRA6E said:

Wish granted... go back and check your BBs.. they are all firing HE now..  You're welcome.  

CHOICE able to choose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,133
[PISD]
Members
1,818 posts
6,025 battles

to be able to switch from HE to AP would be great and would make IFHE less useful, and also give some relevance for smaller caliber guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
100
[-TRM-]
Members
262 posts
14,588 battles
19 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

At your port, select your Yamato, open the Artillery tab at the right side of your screen, and hover your mouse over the secondary guns. It'll show a list of the gun characteristics, including the shell type.

I actually wanted to be able to choose between HE or AP (secondary choice between HE and AP)

Edited by Sirzin_6
update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,133
[PISD]
Members
1,818 posts
6,025 battles
Just now, Compassghost said:

What would you use the secondary AP for? 

When you get too close, secondaries start to target the belt and the upper belt of the enemy ships, making them useless. With AP you would at least pen the upper belt more reliably.

It would also give some punch to 100-105mm secondaries: they may no pen the bow and stern of high tier cruisers with HE, but with AP they could probably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,606
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,718 posts
14,870 battles
1 hour ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I thought that BB secondaries were all HE now.

This ^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
100
[-TRM-]
Members
262 posts
14,588 battles
19 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

What would you use the secondary AP for? 

In the event ya have to go into a cap and rip ca's apart, secondary's are a lot faster then main guns, and using manual could help, although HE is good, AP would cause more damage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,478
[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,309 posts
30 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

What would you use the secondary AP for? 

Did you ever see AP secondary Nagato turned loose in the Harbor in Narai? It was a beast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,106
[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,570 battles
1 hour ago, Sirzin_6 said:

My point being BB should be able to choose

So let me get this straight ...... You want to make the ship with the biggest guns, the most HP, heals, the best AA, and the best secondaries even stronger?

Yeah, let me get right on that!

NOT!!

  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
100
[-TRM-]
Members
262 posts
14,588 battles
8 minutes ago, Umikami said:

So let me get this straight ...... You want to make the ship with the biggest guns, the most HP, heals, the best AA, and the best secondaries even stronger?

Yeah, let me get right on that!

NOT!!

Yami doesnt have the most HP, but she's gotta hold her own a lot of times. She must be able to destroy everything.

Edited by Sirzin_6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
208
[_BDA_]
Members
487 posts
7,528 battles
52 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

When you get too close, secondaries start to target the belt and the upper belt of the enemy ships, making them useless. With AP you would at least pen the upper belt more reliably.

It would also give some punch to 100-105mm secondaries: they may no pen the bow and stern of high tier cruisers with HE, but with AP they could probably.

Its my understanding that HE will always do some damage to the superstructure (at least) and possibly start fires.  Small caliber AP is probably going to bounce off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,133
[PISD]
Members
1,818 posts
6,025 battles
5 minutes ago, michael_zahnle said:

Its my understanding that HE will always do some damage to the superstructure (at least) and possibly start fires.  Small caliber AP is probably going to bounce off.

It would work if it target the superstructure. The issue is that the crew of those guns go full [edited] and aim with HE at the armored belt of ships, so once you get withing 7 km the majority of your shot will shatters outside of the odd one touching the superstructure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,624
[HINON]
Members
8,638 posts
12,566 battles
3 hours ago, Volron said:

This.  I don't remember which IJN BB's had AP secondaries, but if I recall correctly, it only applied to their larger secondary guns.  The smaller ones used HE.  As a note, all of Roma's secondaries fired AP then.

i know for sure that Nagato had both AP and HE, i think her casemate secondaries were AP and the duals were HE

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,004
[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,440 posts
13,111 battles
3 hours ago, Sirzin_6 said:

In the event ya have to go into a cap and rip ca's apart, secondary's are a lot faster then main guns, and using manual could help, although HE is good, AP would cause more damage. 

AP would cause less damage, as you'll cause 10% on the overpens, and nothing for the bounces. Unless a target is actually flat broadside, probably won't get pens (33% damage) or Citadels (100% damage). Ships can also angle against them and truly laugh at you.

With HE shells you're gonna get 33% damage on every penetration and nothing on a shatter, plus fires. Also, angling is ineffective against HE secondaries, and going broadside to expose your main belt to them also means you've gone broadside to the main guns.

The other problem is, for small caliber guns, the HE damage is almost equal to the AP damage. So there's not that much extra damage to be had.

Lastly, if you're talking German secondaries, going to AP would eliminate the effect of German HE pen rules, which would really hurt the secondary damage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
45 posts

In regards to BB secondaries, I think certain BBs should be able to switch to secondaries while the main battery reloads like other ships switch to torpedoes. Maybe this should be the actual benefit from the capt manual secondary skill? I just hate seeing secondary shells bounce or hit armor too thick to pen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
482
[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,940 battles
22 minutes ago, Panzer_Mac_W126 said:

In regards to BB secondaries, I think certain BBs should be able to switch to secondaries while the main battery reloads like other ships switch to torpedoes. Maybe this should be the actual benefit from the capt manual secondary skill? I just hate seeing secondary shells bounce or hit armor too thick to pen.

It would be nice if they would target the superstructure when you got closer instead of the armor belt, that would IMO eliminate any need for AP round requests as they would always be doing -some- damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×