Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Karstodes

State of the cruisers line

polls, because polls are tasty  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Best cruisers line in random

2. 2. Worst cruiser line in random

• Imperial Japanese Navy
    • American CA
    • American CL
    • German
    • Russian CA
    • Russia CL
    • French
    • Italian
    • British CL
    • British CA
    • Bacon CA
    • Bacon CL
  3. 3. Best cruisers line in CB

• Imperial Japanese navy
    • American CA
    • American CL
    • German
    • Russian CA
    • Russia CL
    • French
    • Italian
    • British CL
    • British CA
    • Bacon CA
    • Bacon CL
  4. 4. Worst cruiser line in CB

7 comments in this topic

[PISD]
Members
1,818 posts
6,025 battles

Cruisers are on of the more ''mature'' categories in the game as of now, that is very few line need/ can bad added outside of maybe a pan euro, IJN CL and German CL, and the later seems less possible with the latest premium release.

So how do the line fare as of now? Which are the best, which are the worst?

Hard question, and a powerful line in CB can be mediocre in Random.

So here is a polls, because I like Polls and bacon, and I am all out of Bacon.

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,842 battles

Giving IJN cruisers the worst here in both, specifically because modern WoWS favours T8+ and the highlights of this line are all T7 and below imo.

[PISD]
Members
1,818 posts
6,025 battles
1 hour ago, Akeno017 said:

Giving IJN cruisers the worst here in both, specifically because modern WoWS favours T8+ and the highlights of this line are all T7 and below imo.

I would say that IJN aren't that bad in random.

Their strength is good long range accurate HE and stealth, with poor HP, armor and AA. In random and ranked you can play around it by staying at large and slinging HE right and left, and CV tends to focus less. Meanwhile the British lack the velocity and  range to play that game and need to get up close, with citadel easier to get in than a Walmart.

[TFFOX]
Members
1,074 posts
2,592 battles

@Y_Nagato, I didn't do the CB part because I don't have any t10 botes and can't play CBs. did the randoms part though

Members
170 posts
11,570 battles

Bit awkward to judge an entire line like this when many switch from CL-CA or are just a handful of ships vs ten, and unless you meant "competitive battles" instead of just clans for CB - that's just judging the tX, not the line.  In truth there's highs and lows across the board.

My logic as a cruiser main went like this:

In randoms what I want out of a cruiser is the ability to contribute to my team (either by raw damage output or through powerful consumables), a little staying power (armor, maneuverability, or defensive consumables like heal or smoke),  and good general utility to fend for myself since randoms are what they are.  I weight the top end of a line a little higher since that's where things get most "flavorized", or for a line like Russian CAs that's where the line actually starts, but I do also enjoy t5-7 a good bit.

IJN: very good for randoms 5-7, starts lagging behind in team contribution once other CA lines grow radar and MBRB consumables, big boi bow armor, >203mm guns, etc. Score +
USN CA: great utility from consumables and nice bow armor. No torps to claw back some damage at close range.  American Piercing and solid enough HE damage; the t8-9 are a little awkward but DM is a staple, if sometimes uninteresting.  Score ++
USN CL: Better down low (t5-7) before island-hugging becomes more of a critical survival strategy, exceptional at t7-8, and can be a little limiting [read: campy and terrain or matchmaking restricted] in t9-X due to the playstyle the guns and consumables tend to favor.  Otherwise, outstanding consumables and straightforward paths to team impact.  Score +
German: Interesting play at t5-6 where the risk-reward is levered a little further, but becomes rather poor at t7-9 when armor is increased at the cost of damage output.  Struggles to deal big damage out at range, has tools for close-range, but faces overwhelming challenges closing the gap from 15-5km where everybody else is just more threatening. Score: -
Russian CA: Haven't gone up the split yet. Score: ?
Russian CL: Haven't unlocked Nevsky yet because I don't like DmDonsk.  Excellent from t6-8 (we'll just ignore t5) but I find Donskoi is where the favorable guns run out of steam to overcome the fragile hulls and bad agility, with radar being hard to use effectively. Score: +
French: t5-6 are missing something, but these are juicy juicy CAs from t7 up for randoms.  Where other lines find themselves pigeonholed or making trades that leave them ineffective for parts of the game, you can reliably land punches in just about any situation as a french CA with great range, per-shell damage, speed, usable torps, and above all - MBRB. Score: ++
Italian: I hate to say it, but the Italians are just not great until tX.  Low utility, great self-sufficiency in defensive consumables and maneuverability, but damage output that is harder to massage into big numbers than a ship with HE access.  Score: -
British CL: What starts out as a reliable path to better survivability than your tier-mates becomes an anchor at high tiers; t9-X are chained to their smokes for better or worse.  You're more subject to radar and blindfire than your island-camping american cousins, cannot stack fires to thwart bow-in threats, and rely substantially on everyone else in the match playing nicely for your ends.  Score: -
British CA: Bad all the way up.  Trash range is the killing blow; all else could be forgiven (maybe).  Armor that isn't enough to keep you up in a bad situation (because you're too close to bail) and damage that isn't enough to keep you ahead in a good situation (because your reloads are inexplicably slow).  You are out-ranged, out-gunned, out-maneuvered, out-consumabled, out of action.  Score: --

BONUS ROUND

IJN superheavy mini-line: Slightly better for randoms than the directly comparable techtree IJN ships due to the chunk of HP letting you throw your weight around and the superior torp angles and options on the tX.  More likely to be a ship you fire continuously with vs. going guns-silent to stay alive. Score ++

USN superheavy mini-line: Alaska OP.  PR not so OP.  Both very solid randoms ships with tools enough to scare just about anybody.  Score ++

CBs:

Imagine using techtree ships in CBs

jk, obviously there are some contenders, but those are just the tX ships.  Cruisers in particular have so many instances where gun and hull characteristics make impactful changes at tX that it's iffy to judge a whole line on the CB performance of it's halo ship.  Besides, at this point the field of cruisers is diverse enough that comp meta is picking ships for specific combinations of mechanics and not how it plays as a whole package.  You don't pick a Henri or Worcester or a Puerto Rico because they're "good ships" overall, you decide you need [e.g.] a counter-pick that can pen a certain armor threshold or a certain number of radars and then take the most effective tool for your chosen tactic.  So is a DesMoines good in CBs?  Yes, if you need the tools a DM offers.  Is a Zao good in CBs?  Yes, if you need the tools a Zao offers; though granted, it seems like fewer comps need the tools a Zao offers than the tools a DM offers.

Edited by BadDecisionDino
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
728 posts
4,302 battles

British CA line isn't as bad as people say, it's just different, kinda like the fat US BB line. The redeeming factors are the solid AP, decent maneuverability and good concealment, and the mega heal. They are weird in that you can't push or sit back. You just have to fuddle around in the middle ducking in and out of fire. But, they can really tank, the armor plus HP is fairly durable when angled and not eating BB shells, and they really rack up damage throughout the game if you stay alive and continue to take opportunistic swipes. They are a weird combo of heavy HP and firepower on a light cruiser concealment and maneuverability platform. 

[GOCRY]
Members
695 posts

Yeah, I’m with Carl.  British heavy cruisers are some of the most annoying ships to fight against.  They engage on their terms until their health gets a little low, then just stop shooting, stealth up, and heal back half their HP.  Rinse and repeat.  They hit hard enough that you can’t ignore them, so they’re great at harassing fire.

Though if a DD decides to shadow one and prevent it from going dark, they can be taken out quickly.

Sign in to follow this