You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
needlenoses4

Des Moines / Worcester Setup

12 comments in this topic

[K0]
Members
125 posts
12,865 battles

Recently picked up both these ships the old fashioned way;  not purchased!!  I would appreciate some solid input on setting these two up from Scratch;  I have heard that there are updates out there that will, among other things, increase the meager gun range on both.  Also someone said there is a way to get smoke added.  Stuff like that.

So, any help would great.

[KSD]
Members
132 posts
8,793 battles

Here's my key tips for the DM: the shells are slow, so if you boost the range you aren't going to hit much of anything other than reversing BBs - go with reload instead.  You're also going to do a lot of hiding behind islands, so go with propulsion and not steering.  Concealment, of course.  I like to use the radar duration upgrade because I play aggressively and move in on caps early to trap DDs, but your playstyle may differ.  Once you unlock the unique upgrade for the DM, take it.  It's not as magical as it used to be, but it's still good.  Do not use the spotter plane.  Defensive AA doesn't do much on most ships right now, so go with hydro and radar.  DM's magic comes from the rapid firing, increased penetration angle, big damage AP shells.  Shoot AP at everything at the start so that you can learn its limits.  AP is your bread and butter, and HE is the fallback.  Do not nose-tank BBs, as they will overmatch you and cit you through the front.  Keep an island handy to hide behind.  Don't worry if you can't get your rear turret in the fight - you fire so fast that two turrets works just fine if you're well angled. 

Hope that helps. 

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 3

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,072 posts

Here's my Des Moines setup for what it's worth. I've got John Doe commanding it. I'm not sure how useful RPF is and may change it during the new commander skill respec whenever that's coming out.

image.thumb.png.147592622fc845725d8d775d32afd1cf.png

image.thumb.png.987300e0186f614212a3b5a5c8740799.png

[K-POP]
Members
4,791 posts
13,147 battles

Definitely agree with Ceesa’s comments on DM. As for the actual build, you have two main options - a randoms build and a more competitive focused build. 

For randoms: The typical captain build is PT, EM, AR, SI, and CE for the first 12 points, then RL at 16 and JoaT and EL. Module wise, you want main battery mod 1, engine room protection or the coal radar mod, aiming systems mod 1, propulsion mod 1, concealment, and the UU if you have it (only available through the RB now). If you don’t have the UU, then use the reload mod. With the slow shells and high arcs, you’re not really going to be hitting anything at that longer range that’s not stationary. And if you’re farming a target that far away, you’re either out of position or not shooting the right targets. 

If you’re looking for a randoms only build that’s more about doing damage than utility and intelligence, you could drop RL for DE and PM or IFA. In theory you could also drop the UU for reload in randoms, but I’d still keep the UU for speed juking, especially if you’re going to camp islands. 

A normal captain is fine for DM, but if you have one of the improved EL/EM captains (Halsey or the Doe brothers), I’d suggest using one of those. The improved EM’s always nice to have, but the improved EL lets you switch in just over a second.

As for Worcester, your modules are pretty much the same, with reload in the sixth slot and definitely opt for concealment in the fifth over the UU. I’d also say to not use the extended radar mod unless you’re taking it into competitive, although it can still be useful in randoms. 

For the captain, you either have a fire starting build or a guaranteed damage build, although you can go with a hybrid of the two if the captain will only be on Worcester (and none of the premium CLs). PT, AR, SI, CE for the first 10 for both, then if you want to go the guaranteed damage route take IFHE. After that I’d get DE and JoaT for the hybrid build since Worcester doesn’t need EM, but if the captain’s going to any of the lower premiums you’d want EM and then either DE or JoaT/PM. Alternatively there’s the full fire build, without IFHE - PT, AR, SI, CE for the first 10, then DE, JoaT, EM, and HA, or you could drop HA for PM and IFA. Really, after the first 13/14 points there’s a lot of customization you can do with the remainder. 

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07
  • Thanks 1

[K0]
Members
125 posts
12,865 battles

Sorry for delay folks;  had some issues at home; and no, not COVID.  Went over everything that was said, printed some of it out so much appreciated.  Did have a lot of fun in Seattle but no so much with Buffalo;  likely me and not the ships.  Also having some belated fun with Neptune.  Took me a while.  Henri is my go-to Clan X boat at the moment;  getting better with is as time goes by.   Thanks again for input!!!

PS; I have "NOTIFY ME OF REPLIES" on but getting nothing!!  Will check my settings.

[K0]
Members
125 posts
12,865 battles
On 11/19/2020 at 8:12 AM, Roken1 said:

Go Achieve Peak Performance, drop the Radar. 

Good one!!

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
4,145 posts
12,717 battles
On 11/19/2020 at 12:03 AM, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

for Worcester, your modules are pretty much the same, with reload in the sixth slot and definitely opt for concealment in the fifth over the UU. I’d also say to not use the extended radar mod unless you’re taking it into competitive, although it can still be useful in randoms

WG changed the UU mod for Worcester. The UU now goes into the 6th slot for cruisers. It's DDs and BBs that get the UU in their concealment slot now.

Meanwhile, the Worcester's UU allows one to drop super attendant and pick up something else.

[JHF]
[JHF]
Members
287 posts
5,032 battles
On 11/18/2020 at 6:09 PM, needlenoses4 said:

Recently picked up both these ships the old fashioned way;  not purchased!!  I would appreciate some solid input on setting these two up from Scratch;  I have heard that there are updates out there that will, among other things, increase the meager gun range on both.  Also someone said there is a way to get smoke added.  Stuff like that.

So, any help would great.

I would say use UU legendary mod for the last spot.  I prefer her to have tight turning maneuverability and acceleration over faster guns.  They fire exrtemly fast already in my opinion.  Often I do find that comes in handy when you use Islands for cover.  You can poke our and back up when needed.   Also comes very handy dodging torps.

Wooster I usually stick to complete AA build.  I don't use it as much but only for AA missions.  Captain skills are what make the ship.  It is quite the effect AA CA.

I use a fast reload load out for a Salem.  It is my one of my primary ships to play with.  I always felt it more tanky that a DM.

Both DM and Salem can bow tank well vs other CA.  Advantage being fast guns.  You can spam HE against tougher targets and open up with AP when they broadside.  This being VS CA/CL.  Vs BB I usually switch with HE, start fires, hope they wont focus you as you will be over matched by higher tier.  Not that you should be taking on BBs, but worst case its 1 vs 1 at some point and your in open water with no choice.

[K0]
Members
125 posts
12,865 battles

thanks for additional input;  did take Worcester out for first time but was unlucky enough to get totally swarmed by planes carrying rockets.   Got 3 hits before planes did me in; was tucked up to a nice island which helped me not at all.  hopefully it will grow on me;  also learning Neptune and enjoying Henri in Clan Battles.

Members
21 posts
1,245 battles
On 11/18/2020 at 9:22 PM, Ceesa said:

Here's my key tips for the DM: the shells are slow, so if you boost the range you aren't going to hit much of anything other than reversing BBs - go with reload instead.  You're also going to do a lot of hiding behind islands, so go with propulsion and not steering.  Concealment, of course.  I like to use the radar duration upgrade because I play aggressively and move in on caps early to trap DDs, but your playstyle may differ.  Once you unlock the unique upgrade for the DM, take it.  It's not as magical as it used to be, but it's still good.  Do not use the spotter plane.  Defensive AA doesn't do much on most ships right now, so go with hydro and radar.  DM's magic comes from the rapid firing, increased penetration angle, big damage AP shells.  Shoot AP at everything at the start so that you can learn its limits.  AP is your bread and butter, and HE is the fallback.  Do not nose-tank BBs, as they will overmatch you and cit you through the front.  Keep an island handy to hide behind.  Don't worry if you can't get your rear turret in the fight - you fire so fast that two turrets works just fine if you're well angled. 

Hope that helps. 

I like this setup... and i agree with the reasoning for sure.  But i tend to be on the other spectrum you mentioned do my setup is almost a polar opposite.  I opted for the 19.2km range, and use the spotter consumer.  I like the reload boost, but reload is already quick so I can hang without that.  the adrenaline skill kind of mitigate because in the woostah I WILL lose HP lol.  I'm impressed you can use her to push enough to make the radar relevant, but i love catching those reversing ships off guard when I can reach and touch them from a far enough range to make their counter attack almost irrelevant.  Your point is super important though... if your long range placement isn't well developed, you're going to miss A LOT.  I tend to hang back and support at least two other ships and enjoy opportunistic targeting, i.e exploiting ships sailing constant bearing, firing from cover, and kiting.  I love using spotter consumable when i have a good carrier doing early spotting... the reload speed makes it possible to fire salvos into the trajectory of several ships beelining to their initial positions, making sure to cycle targets.  Spotter is also good for me when, say, we've successfully shut down a push on one side of the map and I'm heading to support the other side of the map.  The extra range allows me to engage targets en route to a new position.  Even if i don't do significant damage the crossfire helps with forcing enemy ships out of a preferred positions.  Also, again polar opposite, I favor HE... but I'm really good at super structure damage... but of course if i get into with a cv inside of 15km ill switch to AP and usually shred up even heavy cruisers.  That being said... in clan-battles when I know I wont have a carrier for early detection... and when I only have 6 allies, I'll be darned if I don't mount reload mod and switch to radar, and switch my entire play style to be more aggressive in close quarters... I dont prefer it.. but without a bigger team and early scouting i feel like you contribute more with the quoted setup.  ALSO bite the bullet and grab the permanent camo, or you'll lose dubloons every battle unless your doing 100k damage every time... she's expensive to run