48 comments in this topic

[-Y-]
Members
843 posts
61 battles

This guide is intended for all those who are curious or concerned about how karma works and what it does. As of today (7 Jan 2021), a WOWS Wiki article exists to explain Karma here.

Essential information (a summary of what we know)

Karma was introduced in patch 0.5.2, in 2016*

Your own karma rating can be seen by clicking on your IGN (In Game Name) in the top left corner of your screen, when in port. Other players cannot see your karma rating without using 3rd party tools.

Karma is calculated as the difference between the number of compliments and reports received, and may not be less than zero.

More karma only means you can attribute more + and - karma to other players.

If a player is complimented or reported, a system message appears after a battle. The system message for reports will be displayed only if a player has been reported by at least two players.*

The system message for compliments will show the specific number of people who complimented you (without specifying their nicknames, however).*

Karma reports are used by WG systems for the purpose of auto moderating in game chat violations, but as of this topic publication, there is no indication that WG uses them for anything else. Maximum sanctions via in game chat automoderation appear to be 24 hours. Sanctions for 3 days or more require peer review by Wargaming staff. More information on this topic can be found here  by EU CM Sehales and here by NA CM @Hapa_Fodder. We are actively researching this topic, and will update as soon as helpful information is made available.

For all serious gameplay violations for which negative karma is insufficient, file a ticket with Player Support, here https://na.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wows/ with a screenshot and replay, if possible. Several in game violations are automatically moderated by the game server https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/game-guides/anti-abuse-system/

Karma has no effect on your ability to play the game - Karma is not related to the officially automated protocol for gameplay sanctions (pink/orange/ for afk, team damage, abandonment, ecetera)

Karma in game has nothing to do with your forum reputation, they are unrelated.

tip Some 3rd party tools which datamine player gameplay statistics can and do publish player karma. example: https://wows-monitor.com/

Attribute karma points

To attibute karma points during a battle, press TAB

then right click on a players name to access the sub menus Report & Compliment

to players on your team

Types of compliments (positive karma) 

1. Plays well (ally)
  2. Good Manners (all)
Spoiler

image.png.9c0472f1c6e496ec1a9ea3ec91e040d5.png

Types of reports (negative karma) 

1. Plays poorly (all)
  2. Away from keyboard (AFK) (all)
  3. Misbehaviour in chat (all)
  4. Unsporting behaviour (ally)
Spoiler

image.png.ff99afd22d67ea0ae131c26063caffc8.png

to players on the enemy team

Types of compliments (positive karma) 

1. Worthy Adversary (enemy)
  2. Good Manners (all)
Spoiler

image.png.23a9fd78ac4e155df46755eb1fb45a7e.png

Types of reports (negative karma) 

1. Plays poorly (all)
  2. Away from keyboard (AFK) (all)
  3. Misbehaviour in chat (all)
Spoiler

image.png.7ddaa8a0669b438deee684a5e834f610.png

N.B Karma can ony be attributed while in battle, or in the minutes just after a battle has ended. If you are to slow to compliment or report a player, this message will appear

Spoiler

image.png.96cad141af683d79bf6624a46eed223f.png

Karma notifications

When you credit, compliment or report a player :

Spoiler

image.png.0d46e2de3a78798f35c9b6bcc338e6e1.png

When you recieve more than 1 compliment or more than 2 reports you will receive these notifications :

Spoiler

image.png.07dc30cc3ce1a96c52088832ec299945.png 

Spoiler

83b82253fe78c464ae314a7de920b84b.png.a17

If a player (a) is complimented/reported by the same person (b), 2 or more times during the same battle, only + or - 1 karma will be credited. Do not waste your daily karma quota! (This, and related, information is undergoing further research, and testing, special thanks to @Zoot21, our in game karma correspondant and explorer.)

It is not possible to determine who credits or subtracts Karma, you can only be certain that it must be a person who took part in your latest battle (ally or enemy).

tip : A common convention during battle is to write in chat "+1" when attributing karma points, "reported" or "-1"when subtracting karma points, but these statements should be treated with caution.

Karma power levels

As you earn karma, the only tangible benefit will be the ability to attribute/subtract more Karma from other players (oh, the POWER!! for all the control freaks out there)

Karma Level Limit on reports and compliments
0 - 19 7 reports and 7 compliments
20 - 49 8 reports and 8 compliments
50 - 79 9 reports and 9 compliments
80 - 109 10 reports and 10 compliments
> 110 11 reports and 11 compliments

Karma power levelling is only possible by being both incredibly nice (so boring) and playing, consistently, very well. Or sticking to Coop.

What is karma for?

Karma is a simple way for players to quickly express their approval/disapproval during battles, without resorting to four letter words, or middle fingers, and without disrupting or distracting themselves and/or team mates. 

Karma has a very limited moderation role on in game chat (which requires an overwhelming number of negative reports duriing one or several battles in sequence, to cause an automated chat ban moderation to take effect.

Some players are pleased when the receive positive karma, others feel gratification when they give positive karma to others.

Karma is not language dependant, you can express your delight/disapproval to players who do not speak your language, or who do not read chat.

Can karma be abused?

A player is restricted to the number of karma points they can use per day. (max 11, min 7) A player who spams reports and compliments will quickly run out of karma points to spend.

In random battles, coordinated attribution of karma is only feasible with a division of 2 or 3 likeminded players.

Within Divisions you cannot give Karma points to teammates. (Positive or negative) But clan members who meet in battle, can compliment/report one another.

Karma is there to be used, it is there to allow players to vent their frustration/delight in a channelled and safe manner. It is very difficult (but not impossible) to abuse in a manner which has a negative effect on other players.

Is it ok to encourage others to compliment/report a player? As long as the reports/compliments are for appropriate reasons, of course it is. But the Karma system is self regulating, abuse of karma may see a Karma abuser, getting Karma abuse in return. So be sure to use Karma, only where you are sure it is deserved, and for the appropriate reason. Do not report a player for being afk, because you do not like something they have said. Likewise do not compliment an enemy player on their gameplay when you mean to compliment their good behaviour (good manners)

tip : But, as stated at the the start of this guide : negative/positive karma have NO EFFECT on a players standing with WG, with other players, or on their ability to play the game. The very worst that can happen is a temporary chat ban.

Alternatives to karma 

In battle, aim your targeting reticule at a player and press f11 ("Well done! #IGN") or f12 ("Thankyou #IGN). 

In battle, you can express your opinion using the chat function (type Enter/ "your message" and Enter/ again.) Be sure to remain polite in all circumstances. Common expressions of approval include "Nice!", "GG (good game)", "+1 #IGN". Expressions of disapproval are more common, more varied, and generally unprintable.

Use this link for serious violations of gameplay/chat https://na.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wows/ 

Use this forum to compliment another player in a meaningful way. But remember, no naming and shaming, so make sure your forum post is complimentary. https://forum.worldofwarships.com/

To message a player after a battle, go to the results screen, right click their name and click on "message". Be careful to remain polite, nothing prevents a recipient of a salty chat message, from republishing a screenshot on a 3rd party website/forum such as Discord or Reddit.

Players can also gift one another articles via the Premium Shop, to express their admiration (e.g a bundle of flags) or perhaps if so inclined, disapproval. I was once gifted a tier 2 Albany with the message, "git gud" (possibly the most useful negative reaction I have ever received). https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/

I hope this rather simple guide will prove helpful, at least until a comprehensive and WG approved guide is published on the WOWS WIKI @https://wiki.wargaming.net/

this guide is not exhaustive, I'll try to update and amend, if more information is supplied by WG or by forum users.

If you ever have a doubt, about something the only place to go for 100% certain advice, or help, is official Player Support here https://na.wargaming.net/support/

* taken from https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Update_0.5.2

Edited by hateboat
  • Cool 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 2

[SALVO]
Members
10,771 posts
7,656 battles

You can visualize other's karma using MMM. 

Edited by ArIskandir

[SALVO]
Members
10,771 posts
7,656 battles
9 minutes ago, hateboat said:

provide proof of this, or edit you post to remove any misleading suggestion. There is enough confusion among players about Karma, we do not need more.

Ask someone with MMM or install it yourself to check it out. I'm just passing some info I read and that's about how much time I'll give to this issue. 

[-Y-]
Members
843 posts
61 battles
9 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Ask someone with MMM or install it yourself to check it out. I'm just passing some info I read and that's about how much time I'll give to this issue. 

Unless you publish evidence of what you say, you are misleading readers, and sowing unnecessary doubt and confusion. Be a good boy and edit your post. This guide is intended to clarify misunderstandings, not to stoke them. 

Edited by hateboat
  • Meh 1

[CO-OP]
Members
4,621 posts
34,505 battles
15 minutes ago, hateboat said:

provide proof of this, or edit you post to remove any misleading suggestion. There is enough confusion among players about Karma, we do not need more.

Here you go (skip to post 11):

Edited by HamptonRoads
  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[SALVO]
Members
10,771 posts
7,656 battles
5 minutes ago, hateboat said:

Be a good boy and edit your post. 

Edited...

• Cool 1

[-Y-]
Members
843 posts
61 battles
Just now, ArIskandir said:

Edited...

thankyou. Still our exchange did have a useful result, I learned something. +1

• Cool 1

[D-H-O]
Beta Testers, Volunteer Moderator, Privateers
368 posts
7,474 battles

2 things I will throw out there to add in:

When you receive positive Karma... you did get a single notification that "you have been complimented".  If I get one in the next day or two I'll get a screen shot and post.   It does not matter how many compliments you get in a game, from what I can tell you only get one notification when you return to port/when that game is over (I've seen my karma jump by 5 after a good game but only saw the notification once).  YOU DO NOT get notification of negative karma.  The only way you'll know is by tracking your karma manually (checking it on your own profile stats by clicking your name in port) or if there is a mod that would notify you of losing karma (I'm not aware of one though).   

Second- I have stopped using MMM, but when I did I would pay attention to karma... people with zero karma (you can't get negative) can (PLEASE NOTE I SAY CAN) be someone to watch just like you watch a pink player.  Just because they have negative karma doesn't mean their a bad player or have a bad attitude (just like pink status can happen on accident) but when you see them ranting or throwing a ship away or ignoring team play, then the "0" karma status starts to make sense and you know what to expect the rest of the game.   Again, this really only applies to MMM being active as you don't know karma otherwise.  Part of the reason I stopped using MMM... I would see bad teams or bad karma and start to play very individualized and took on a "well better get what I can out of this game".  Getting rid of MMM makes me play every game the same way and not get concerned about others stats or karma or whatever.  So, take it what for what it's worth.  

• Cool 2

[WPORT]
Members
13,499 posts
17,593 battles

It is possible to return to port and receive one or more notifications of being complimented.

I speculate that this is because of
1.  More than one person complimented a player during the same battle
2.  Two or more different players complimented one player over the course of two or more battles and a player "battles on" and eventually returns to port and receives the notifications.

Members
70 posts
6,311 battles

Considering the near lack of useful information on the topic prior this is a good effort and hopefully the core of it does get picked up and incorporated.

Perhaps a couple of take aways of note to consider.

If we are as a community so eager to bash but not eager to say "good job", "good effort", or whatever, maybe we need again as a community do more of that "good try" thing. 

Kind of stunning that 70-80% have nada.  Don't mistake, I'm NOT suggesting praise everyone for everything.  I am suggesting if the case is someone does TRY to make a useful effort in game or a useful suggestion in chat this might be a simple way to say thanks to that contributor. 

For those who live by stats (MMM et al.) when a more junior player does decent wouldn't a word (karma) of encouragement be a good way to say - you might be "getting it"?

Over time would that not help you, as Dewey_96 points out above, sort the wheat and chaff?  It only works if as a community the positive +1 happens a bit more often, otherwise apparently 70-80% of the player base in a sense are "pink".  How much use is that? 

• Cool 1

[-Y-]
Members
843 posts
61 battles
15 minutes ago, DEWEY_96_ said:

2 things I will throw out there to add in:

When you receive positive Karma... you did get a single notification that "you have been complimented".  If I get one in the next day or two I'll get a screen shot and post.   It does not matter how many compliments you get in a game, from what I can tell you only get one notification when you return to port/when that game is over (I've seen my karma jump by 5 after a good game but only saw the notification once).  YOU DO NOT get notification of negative karma.  The only way you'll know is by tracking your karma manually (checking it on your own profile stats by clicking your name in port) or if there is a mod that would notify you of losing karma (I'm not aware of one though).   

Second- I have stopped using MMM, but when I did I would pay attention to karma... people with zero karma (you can't get negative) can (PLEASE NOTE I SAY CAN) be someone to watch just like you watch a pink player.  Just because they have negative karma doesn't mean their a bad player or have a bad attitude (just like pink status can happen on accident) but when you see them ranting or throwing a ship away or ignoring team play, then the "0" karma status starts to make sense and you know what to expect the rest of the game.   Again, this really only applies to MMM being active as you don't know karma otherwise.  Part of the reason I stopped using MMM... I would see bad teams or bad karma and start to play very individualized and took on a "well better get what I can out of this game".  Getting rid of MMM makes me play every game the same way and not get concerned about others stats or karma or whatever.  So, take it what for what it's worth.  

Thanks for this reminder. I do have a space reserved in my post for that "you have been complimented" screenshot. This being the weekend I have struggled to obtain one. :Smile_sad:

I disagree about negative karma, if you recieve 2 or more reports, a notification will appear. I will post a screenshot the next time that happens to me (I'll go play a CV for a battle or 2...)

I agree about MMM, I have never used it, good teams and bad teams are part of the fun, the luckydip of random battles.

Edited by hateboat

[BB-57]
Members
542 posts
16,639 battles

Obviously someone cares or there wouldn't be this topic or reply's...

I've said on other karma threads, my rough criteria for giving it out. Lower tier player #1 in game +1. Someone who so dominated the game that it makes me embarrassed for my play +1.  Witty, funny, or complimentary in chat usually +1 . Chat "sorry!" after I eat their torps usually +1. Bunch of other stuff depends on my mood including -1's , but I really try to avoid -1's.

If nothing else, seeing your karma go up +1, gives you a little tiny happy boost. Everyone could use that every now and again.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[-Y-]
Members
843 posts
61 battles
1 minute ago, HamAndCheez said:

"karma" topic by player named "hateboat"...  

Emperor Palpatine "Ironic" | Know Your Meme

how so? Karma is for everybody, for the Skywalkers and the Sith, good or bad.

[SR-_-]
Members
5,186 posts
48,751 battles

You are overthinking it.

And no MMM, widget this or that, the crystal ball, and the magic 8 ball has any bearing on the match outcome or personal success.

Just play. Sometimes, the shots fall and hit, other times they miss. You either get a good team or a bad one. Or an afk team. 

If you have to consult stats, tea leaves, look at your cat's gonads, or contact a psychic for help with winning a game, then there are much more serious problems that need to be addressed.

Keep it simple. Find a bunch of players you are comfortable playing with and go in matches together. It's more fun in groups. That is usually clan mates.

Dwelling on Karma is like dwelling on whether you ate enough fiber.

Sooner or later, it comes out and you find out.

Whether it's bad or good is defined by you. Don't worry about players that abuse it.

Because inflation is hype and deflation is underscored resolve.

The only player that matters is the one that shows up and contributes in the match.

Numbers never tell the whole story of anything in science or history.

Never. You will be shocked by the truth.

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman
  • Meh 1

[WOLF2]
Members
336 posts
7,906 battles
3 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

You are overthinking it.

And no MMM, widget this or that, the crystal ball, and the magic 8 ball has any bearing on the match outcome or personal success.

Just play. Sometimes, the shots fall and hit, other times they miss. You either get a good team or a bad one. Or an afk team. 

If you have to consult stats, tea leaves, look at your cat's gonads, or contact a psychic for help with winning a game, then there are much more serious problems that need to be addressed.

Keep it simple. Find a bunch of players you are comfortable playing with and go in matches together. It's more fun in groups. That is usually clan mates.

Dwelling on Karma is like dwelling on whether you ate enough fiber.

Sooners or later, it comes out and you find out.

Whether it's bad or good is defined by you. Don't worry about players that abuse it.

Because inflation is hype and deflation is underscored resolve.

The only player that matters is the one that shows up and contributes in the match.

Numbers never tell the whole story of anything in science or history.

Never. You will be shocked by the truth.

I get what you're saying, but there are PLENTY of valid reasons to use a tool like MMM, and it absolutely can have bearing on the match outcome and personal success, especially if you're primarily a solo player like myself.

Knowing the relative skill level of players on the enemy team can provide pre-match insight into who you need to focus as target, who you may want to avoid, and who poses little or no threat due to lack of experience or skill. I'm not able to usually rely on div mates (or random teammates, for that matter), so if I know what enemy player is the biggest threat I can do my best to mitigate it which I am certain has bearing on matches. 

Karma, though, yeah, it don't matter at all.

• Cool 1

[META_]
Members
2,363 posts
8,217 battles

I thought this was going to be a guide about what actually to do in battle, or write in battle chat to get those precious Karma points... since i'm not super unicum, and highly unlikely to reach that exalted status anytime in the next 13.7 years due to crappy stats with too many games played, and totally incapable of effecting any battle i'm in, i'll focus on what you should NOT write in battle chat, because i have damn few Karma points.

Again, if you want + Karma, DON'T post any of these!!

1)  (US new line BB, full HP, and are hiding behind an island next to our CV, far from the battle) "Please stop requesting support." DO NOT WRITE MORE!! This would indicate you expect too much.

2)   (T8-10  IJN torp DD, heading away from all caps toward the back of the map) "Uh, ____________ please turn toward the general area the battle will be fought." AGAIN, do not put more pressure on this player, they may quit if you do!!

3)   (Any DD, or French Cruiser with speed boost on heading straight into a cap, with no spotting, and planes from both red CVs in the cap already) "AT least they are not AFK." Low standards must be encouraged.

4)  (The three pink ships on the green team)  "Were you in a div together when you earned the pink camo?" or "What did you do to earn the pink?" or both. There will be salt.

5)  (To the BB soloing off to the far flank, already under torp crossfire, asking for Air Support in a 2/side CV battle)  "How could a fighter drop hel... uh, anybody have the new teleport capt skill, for their 21 point capt?" If someone asks you what that is, you will probably get multiple neg Karma.

6)  (To the Green team down 3 caps, 5 ships, not sunk one Red ship yet, one third the points the Red team has 5 min into the battle, this one works best if you're already sunk)  "Well played, we're looking good!! We can still win this game!! You might consider getting out from behind the one island you are all hiding behind, spotting a red ship, and shooting at it." Another candidate for this scenario i've used successfully many time is "You won't save credits by staying alive the longest, you have to earn that by damage, sinking ships, capping, spotting or defending caps" Thess are both sure fire winners for multiple neg Karma.

7) (To the player(s) that comment the battle is already lost, that MMM reports 18 or more super unicum players on the Red team, we have none,  is already doing stuff listed in # 1-6, plus is in the process of rage quitting)  "You might consider playing the battle before chalking it up as a loss?"  OR (if it's NOT ranked) "just play to keep the star." You  can use both, but even your Div mates if you have any will turn on you, which does not really matter, they can't give you Karma.

Just trying to help, I have more, if you are interested!!

spud

[SR-_-]
Members
5,186 posts
48,751 battles
24 minutes ago, HTSMetal said:

I get what you're saying, but there are PLENTY of valid reasons to use a tool like MMM, and it absolutely can have bearing on the match outcome and personal success, especially if you're primarily a solo player like myself.

Knowing the relative skill level of players on the enemy team can provide pre-match insight into who you need to focus as target, who you may want to avoid, and who poses little or no threat due to lack of experience or skill. I'm not able to usually rely on div mates (or random teammates, for that matter), so if I know what enemy player is the biggest threat I can do my best to mitigate it which I am certain has bearing on matches. 

Karma, though, yeah, it don't matter at all.

Going solo in a Randoms match is risky. So I guess that would probably be your only means to help you. But bear in mind. Some of those players use mods.

An example is for target angling and it shows green when it is okay for them to fire on you.

In other words. You are dealing with players that have issues with depth perception. Otherwise, they wouldn't be using such a blatant crutch.

I have seen streamers use it and they have two eyes. This mod is for players that have one defective or only one eye.

In other words, cyclops players.

But a person with two perfectly good eyes has no business using such a mod. Any player can discern an angle and can angle their ship as well with practice.

Using visual cues is part of the learning process.

Now that is just one mod I mentioned and there are more of course.

Whether they crutch a Player or not is up to WG. But eventually WG will remove any that seem too good.

MMM can't tell you what players used what mod. But if I had a million dollars, I would pay someone to find out and post it everywhere. Because MMM is transparent. 

But mod makers? Well, you will have to ask them if they are. Because I don't use mods myself.

But maybe they can make a mod that shows what mods a player uses. And a mod that blocks the mod that shows what mods a player uses.

Then maybe a mod that tells you if the mod they are using is actually being used or is being blocked from being shown, but instead shows a fake mod so a player looking up a red player has disguised stats.🤔

I think I just covered all the possibilities.

😏

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman

[PVE]
Members
11,474 posts
20,470 battles

You can see if you were complimented in the after battle reports, under the Notifications heading.

shot-20_11.08_12_27.38-0323.thumb.jpg.d0433ba7054c73c32446d1187dfec404.jpg

[PVE]
Members
9,661 posts
26,378 battles
4 hours ago, hateboat said:

Is 7 actually the minimum?

I thought it got down to as low as 3 w/zero karma.

If so then I've been giving false reports of 3 as the lowest for a long time...dang...hate when that happens.

[FML]
Members
4,318 posts
16,569 battles
5 hours ago, hateboat said:

This guide is intended for all those who are curious or concerned about how karma works and what it does. As of this day, no WOWS Wiki article exists to explain Karma.

Good guide. But it’s going to get lost on this forum as General Discussion gets hundreds of threads. I suggest you move it to the game guides and tutorials forums, which also happen to be a bit nicer. 

Also, perhaps mentioning that in-game karma and forum karma are not linked. And that IGN means in-game name in this context, top left of port screen?

• Cool 1