You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Never Underestimate a CA in a T9 Match

11 comments in this topic

[CNO]
Members
6,058 posts
18,506 battles

Wasn't much for me to do in the early dance.    Can't brawl.  Can't yolo.  Pick my fights and work attrition from mid to long range.  Both teams wore down evenly.  Last ten minutes. Game in the balance.  Three caps down with a points deficit.  What's an overmatched, slow, fat, bottom tier'd 14 incher gonna do?

shot-20_11.05_22_01.40-0271.thumb.jpg.624fd5b14c79162d996aa8cc6280aa53.jpg

shot-20_11.05_22_01.45-0902.thumb.jpg.9e6db37380c533a794834a1cc5961528.jpg

shot-20_11.05_22_01.50-0206.thumb.jpg.188d9be14163c7f22d813e8cefbc27a4.jpg

• Cool 4
  • Haha 1
  • Meh 1

[HINON]
Members
13,699 posts
1 minute ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Never Underestimate a Soshi_Sone in a T9 Match

Updated it for you :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,260 battles

Without Soshi California's stats would be hopeless.

Actually, when I read the title I thought it would be about heavy cruisers....

• Cool 1

[CNO]
Members
6,058 posts
18,506 battles
1 hour ago, SeaborneSumo said:

I love reading Soshi's posts about Cali.  At least 1 person is playing this @#$%^ty ship.

There are a few other players on the NA server who seem to have figured her out as well.  She is a niche (pun intended) ship, that has some interesting play options.  What makes her fun to me is figuring out the niche for a particular match.  Sure, there are some basic rules, but each match is different and you sometimes gotta modify the rules.  When you get it right, you can do really well.  Get it wrong, and it can go very badly.  I've been on both sides of that equation.

She is not a bad ship in general.  It's that her experience curve is higher than other T7 BBs.  Where other T7 BBs are forgiving, she is not.  Where other T7 BBs can make up for lack of experience, the CA can make you pay.  And although she is a T7 BB, you gotta play her with all the knowledge of the T9 meta when you play her in a T9 match.  Conversely, when she is top tier in T7 matches, there are some serious flaws in her attributes that, if not properly mitigated, make her a poor show even when top tier.

In a certain manner, a player must have experience well beyond T7 in order to make her work well.  Understanding the asymmetry she brings, both strategically as well as tactically, is crucial to doing well.  And that only comes with a lot of play in general.

In short, she is a very cerebral ship.  I know many players find that boring.  Nothing wrong with that.  Everyone has their likes and dislikes.  All I gotta say is if you like the cerebral game, and you have good experience in the game in general, and you don't mind the style she brings, then you'll do as good in her as any other T7 BB...maybe even better.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,123 posts
24,479 battles
8 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Without Soshi California's stats would be hopeless.

Actually, when I read the title I thought it would be about heavy cruisers....

Regular Tier IX Cruisers are in a worse spot.

Super Strong Premium Battleships

Super Cruisers (all Premium Ships)

Strong Destroyers

The Normal Cruisers could not keep up in that environment. The most telling is every time Tier IX Ranked rolls around, all the Normal Cruisers got big problems.  You actually see the battles played where people just gave up using them.  The only things with a Cruiser icon doing well are the Super Cruisers.  The addition of Siegfried will not help things (she hasn't done a Ranked Season / Ranked Sprint yet).  People even gave up on the Normal Radar Cruisers like Buffalo, Seattle.

Related note are the Tech Tree BBs that tier... They're not out of hand.  It's the Premiums that break it: Jean Bart, MUSASHI, Georgia.  The reputation for Battleships in Tier IX is the way it is only because of the Premium BBs breaking balance.

I still remember you guys talking about Tier IX Ranked "World of Musashi" and seeing the numbers.  Like all the Musashi owners came out of the woodwork, out of hibernation.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[-AGW-]
Members
998 posts
14,745 battles

^ On the other hand I'm quite enjoying Brindisi. It won't carry a match, but it can really spread the SAP hurt over most of the map.

[NUWES]
Members
3,239 posts
11,445 battles

Honestly California isn't bad at all. Its big foibles are well known - lack of speed and lack of overmatch. Beyond that it is pretty decent. It has good damage output, good protection for a non-Russian and non-German T7 BB, and it is exceptionally well defended against aircraft. It mainly just isn't that fun to play because it is so slow on a tier where everything else is a lot faster than you are and maps can be quite big.

Effectiveness is not the same as comfortable to play though. Florida is a much more comfortable ship to play of the two because of better speed, but I think it is less effective. Its firepower is poor and durability is pretty lousy but it at least is pretty comfortable to move around the map. 

Edited by Tzarevitch

[A-I-M]
Members
3,502 posts
23,190 battles

Central position, shield with cover as possible, manage consumables, crossfire cruisers or anything giving side. 

Edited by Pugilistic

[CNO]
Members
6,058 posts
18,506 battles
On 11/6/2020 at 6:06 PM, Pugilistic said:

Central position, shield with cover as possible, manage consumables, crossfire cruisers or anything giving side. 

^^this^^

Crossfire is one of those things overlooked.  I've cit'd T9 BBs with long range crossfire, and a good many cruisers as well.  The T9 meta is often static as BBs play the bow game and cruisers play the hide game.  The ability for the California to reach across the map and catch a static BB broadside working the other flank or a cruiser that is otherwise shielded from ships on his flank but not from the California on the other flank...this is where California can shine in T9 matches.  She is often literally out of sight to these ships, and even when spotted, she is figuratively out of sight.  She just isn't in the SA bubble of captains dealing with an assortment of threats on the cross flank front.  This is why CA can do so well in T9 matches. 

• Cool 1