You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Whitebuster

How to play Alaska?

5 comments in this topic

[PYK]
Beta Testers
208 posts
2,419 battles

I got the Alaska after seeing many good reviews about it. I expected it to be a slightly more agile Missouri with slightly less armor. However, I found its armor to be atrocious and unable to effectively bounce shells at any angle.

As a BB main, I tend to play it like a USN BB and am consistently getting bad performance. I also tried to use its bow armor for bow tanking like the Petro, but that doesn't work well either.

Is there a specific way that Alaska is meant to be played except island camping?

Thanks for your advice

[VORTX]
Members
399 posts
6,218 battles
3 minutes ago, Whitebuster said:

I got the Alaska after seeing many good reviews about it. I expected it to be a slightly more agile Missouri with slightly less armor. However, I found its armor to be atrocious and unable to effectively bounce shells at any angle.

As a BB main, I tend to play it like a USN BB and am consistently getting bad performance. I also tried to use its bow armor for bow tanking like the Petro, but that doesn't work well either.

Is there a specific way that Alaska is meant to be played except island camping?

Thanks for your advice

Like a tier vii bb in a tier x game but add radar and hydro for the anti DD duty 🤷‍♂️😭

really though, I just got my Alaska too so I’m curious what the more experienced will say ...

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,783 posts
16,923 battles

Just my experience. It’s a long range sniping cruiser. The only cruisers that can face tank are the Russian higher tier cruisers and Des Moines/Salem. Having said that, they can be over matched. 

And like anything else, they can be incinerated by HE spamming cruisers if they are positioned correctly and you are not.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[REVY]
Members
8,088 posts
6,118 battles
2 hours ago, Whitebuster said:

Thanks for your advice

She's quite similar to the Puerto Rico so:

Members
87 posts
6,237 battles

You have to play the Alaska close to islands in the beginning of the match peeking out to shoot, similar to Des Moines. As long as the center (conning tower) of the ship is behind the island with your two front guns exposed, you can shoot while remaining undetected.

I can pull this off in the Kremlin as well. The Alaska can citadel BB's (Yamato) within 10km and I also recommend the -20% rudder shift module for long range kitting while shooting in open waters at BB's. 

If you see multiple BB's pointing their guns in your general direction, than its probably not a good idea to engage. Make the fight as one dimensional as possible using islands to provide you cover to where only the target you want to attack can see you.

Edited by Systemlord_1
  • Cool 1