Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
oldmantime

shimakaza unique upgrade sucks

14 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
25,408 posts
27,301 battles
32 minutes ago, oldmantime said:

why is the shimakaza unique upgrade a penalty? not worth the time and afford to obtain, such a waste.

There is a -25% reload bonus in the Shimmy UU.  Overall, though, the Shimmy UU just doesn't seem worth the cost to use.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator
3,152 posts
16,347 battles
59 minutes ago, oldmantime said:

why is the shimakaza unique upgrade a penalty? not worth the time and afford to obtain, such a waste.

The idea of the UU is to offer a totally different play style for that particular ship. Players will have to adapt to the new style where it is so unique. It does not mean to be in any way that an upgrade to make that particular ship more powerful.

It suck a waste in your situation because you didn't get use to the way how it play. Maybe you played a couple of games with the UU, and since it so different to your old playing style that you normally played on your shima, that you don't like it. But making such a statement at early stage is "jumping the gun". Also, the UU are out for a long time, one should be doing research about the UU's characteristics first before decide to grind for it, since the commitment it tedious.

For example, I have 10 tier10 ships, I will only pick a handful of t10 that I think the UU would fit my play style, after done my researching, I will limit it down to 2 or 3. 

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,654 posts
12,106 battles
15 minutes ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

The idea of the UU is to offer a totally different play style for that particular ship. Players will have to adapt to the new style where it is so unique. It does not mean to be in any way that an upgrade to make that particular ship more powerful.

It suck a waste in your situation because you didn't get use to the way how it play. Maybe you played a couple of games with the UU, and since it so different to your old playing style that you normally played on your shima, that you don't like it. But making such a statement at early stage is "jumping the gun". Also, the UU are out for a long time, one should be doing research about the UU's characteristics first before decide to grind for it, since the commitment it tedious.

For example, I have 10 tier10 ships, I will only pick a handful of t10 that I think the UU would fit my play style, after done my researching, I will limit it down to 2 or 3. 

UU is crap.  No point in trying to say it's a play style.  You are going to get screwed on the reload somewhere down line.  Shim strength is torpedoing and if you have to take a penalty against those... um no.

[PISD]
Members
1,457 posts
5,701 battles
1 hour ago, Nachoo31 said:

UU is crap.  No point in trying to say it's a play style.  You are going to get screwed on the reload somewhere down line.  Shim strength is torpedoing and if you have to take a penalty against those... um no.

The UU make them reload faster tho.

• Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
1,986 posts
25,808 battles
2 hours ago, Y_Nagato said:

The UU make them reload faster tho.

True, but with a 70% traversing penalty.  TTM-2 gives a 15% reload and no traverse penalty.  IMO the traverse penalty is too severe to make it worth using it over TTM2.

[POP]
Members
1,155 posts
9,895 battles

Shimi upgrade used to me garbage but after the change following the UU rework it is actually pretty nice.  I can see how the traverse speed would be a pain if you were running the 8km torps but if you run the 12km torps it is just fine.  Shimi is not a knife fighter, at least not how I play her.

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,654 posts
12,106 battles
43 minutes ago, HallaSnackbar said:

Shimi upgrade used to me garbage but after the change following the UU rework it is actually pretty nice.  I can see how the traverse speed would be a pain if you were running the 8km torps but if you run the 12km torps it is just fine.  Shimi is not a knife fighter, at least not how I play her.

Think actually that traverse speed was the main reason.   That takes the threat of the torpedoes in a brawl if you have to make a last-ditch effort.

[WICKS]
Members
12 posts
328 battles

Indeed it does. 70% traverse penalty is just bad.

Pretty sure the UU was made for the torp snipers that didn't need traverse tough.

Edit: Shimakaze, not shimakaza

Edited by TheCosmicTruth

[WOLF3]
Members
28,107 posts
24,442 battles

The funny thing when WG was doing its cycle of Legendary Upgrade nerfs, a major criteria for a nerf was popularity.

Shimakaze's Legendary is so unpopular that I don't know of anyone that uses it.  It sucks real bad, one of the worst in the game.

[WICKS]
Members
12 posts
328 battles
Just now, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The funny thing when WG was doing its cycle of Legendary Upgrade nerfs, a major criteria for a nerf was popularity.

Shimakaze's Legendary is so unpopular that I don't know of anyone that uses it.  It sucks real bad, one of the worst in the game.

yea definitely. I don't have it, but I know that any traverse penalty is incredible pain.

[META_]
Members
2,255 posts
7,485 battles

WG has been very consistent with IJN ships pretty much across the board. The nerfs hit hard, the buffs either don't help, or happen after you gave up on the ship (see Zao), and there are major penalties for anything that actually looks like it would address a major weakness. 

There are few exceptions, maybe Musashi?? I pretty much gave up on IJN ships a while ago, no fun.

spud

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,316 posts
13,232 battles

No UU is a straight buff. Everyone of them gives up something. There's no way Shima UU keeps the reload buff without substantial traverse nerf.

And tbh, the current traverse speed is just about workable. Just don't take her into a knight fight, which you shouldn't do with a Sham to begin with.

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,459 posts
13,589 battles

You’re all stark raving mad.

I would be running F3s on Shima in random but I get that reload with the UU and keep the range and better alpha.  Just plan out your torp drops a bit early and if you yolo someone hold right mouse button on the beating you plan to torp from to reduce any traverse time to near zero.

I have used and abused mine for ages to great effect.

Sign in to follow this