You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Meta_Man

Destroyers The importance of Isolation

13 comments in this topic

[META_]
Members
1,595 posts
17,122 battles

Hello captains :cap_cool:, here I go over the importance of using isolation especially in poor concealment destroyers . When trying to delete a ship while in a DD you really want to islolate the victim so it is not a 2 or 3 on 1 . You want to erase them then move on to your next victim . My Youtube channel is Meta_Man2002 please subscribe if you find the videos helpful:cap_rambo: . Have a great day.

Edited by Meta_Man

[SALVO]
Members
25,438 posts
27,395 battles

I don't know if I agree with this premise.  It seems to me that enemy ships that are part of a group or close to the group tend to get a bit forgetful of their surroundings.  Also, if you have long range torps, firing at a ship in a group also has the chance of landing torp hits on other enemy ships, whereas with isolated enemy ships, if you miss, you are rather unlikely to get any accidental hits on nearby enemies.   Furthermore, if you miss your torps on the isolated enemy ship, that enemy will get a LOT more alert to the fact that there's opposing DD hunting him.  But when you launch torps at a group of enemies, no single enemy ship can be certain that they were the target, and they may get sloppy with their situational awareness.

[META_]
Members
1,595 posts
17,122 battles
12 hours ago, Crucis said:

I don't know if I agree with this premise.  It seems to me that enemy ships that are part of a group or close to the group tend to get a bit forgetful of their surroundings.  Also, if you have long range torps, firing at a ship in a group also has the chance of landing torp hits on other enemy ships, whereas with isolated enemy ships, if you miss, you are rather unlikely to get any accidental hits on nearby enemies.   Furthermore, if you miss your torps on the isolated enemy ship, that enemy will get a LOT more alert to the fact that there's opposing DD hunting him.  But when you launch torps at a group of enemies, no single enemy ship can be certain that they were the target, and they may get sloppy with their situational awareness.

The point of isolation is to limit the return fire on you....most of the time I'm isolating a dd to kill with guns or isolating a larger ship to delete at close range with torps..not long range....not trying to get you to agree but this is what I do and believe in....kills,caps, and isolating victims..thanks for the comment 

Edited by Meta_Man
  • Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
5,650 posts
17,425 battles
On 11/6/2020 at 12:48 AM, Meta_Man said:

The point of isolation is to limit the return fire on you

Seems to me that the difference in Crucis and your view depends if you intend to be seen eventually, like being in a gunboat DD or doing a torp drive by.  If your plan is to never or  hardly be seen, just stalk your prey and strike with torpedoes and get the hell out of Dodge, having more TARGETS is a plus. If your plan is to duke it out, expecting your PT counter jump to 5 indicates you should reconsider your plan.

Edited by Sabot_100
  • Cool 1

[META_]
Members
1,595 posts
17,122 battles
42 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Seems to me that the difference in Crucis and your view depends if you intend to be seen eventually, like being in a gunboat DD or doing a torp drive by.  If your plan is to never or  hardly be seen, just stalk your prey and strike with torpedoes and get the hell out of Dodge, having more TARGETS is a plus. If your plan is to duke it out, expecting your PT counter jump to 5 indicates you should reconsider your plan.

In my dds I named in this video im looking to isolate and kill...if I was in a euro,ijn, I play differently...my French, Khabarovsk, Germans I look to isolate 

[META_]
Members
1,595 posts
17,122 battles
10 hours ago, BobLoblaw said:

Spot things. Do damage when/if you can. Spot things.

The other person @Crucis , @Sabot_100brought up a good point.....I look at dds differently I think than some others....I look to isolate because I mean to kill a dd 1 on 1 or delete a BB 1 on 1...if your goal is to spread damage by firing torps further away more targets would be better........I try to ambush to erase someone.....doesn't mean either is better just different approaches....happy Thanksgiving 

Edited by Meta_Man

[SALVO]
Members
25,438 posts
27,395 battles
3 hours ago, Meta_Man said:

The other person @Crucis , @Sabot_100brought up a good point.....I look at dds differently I think than some others....I look to isolate because I mean to kill a dd 1 on 1 or delete a BB 1 on 1...if your goal is to spread damage by firing torps further away more targets would be better........I try to ambush to erase someone.....doesn't mean either is better just different approaches....happy Thanksgiving 

For what it's worth, I don't like getting into 1v1 DD duels because in my experience, even if I sink the other guy, my DD invariably seems to get wrecked too, unless I have some significant advantage, such as a large difference in health or I can engage the enemy DD at a range that's advantageous to me and disadvantageous to the enemy DD.  Also, getting the drop on the  enemy DD and being able to land the first volley helps.  Another thing that can be a quick duel ender is if you see the enemy DD before he sees you, and you're at pretty short range, launch torps where you think he'll go once you start the gun duel.  And then open fire with your guns, and if you're lucky, the enemy DD will unknowingly sail  straight into your torps, and, Boom!, duel over.

[META_]
Members
1,595 posts
17,122 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

For what it's worth, I don't like getting into 1v1 DD duels because in my experience, even if I sink the other guy, my DD invariably seems to get wrecked too, unless I have some significant advantage, such as a large difference in health or I can engage the enemy DD at a range that's advantageous to me and disadvantageous to the enemy DD.  Also, getting the drop on the  enemy DD and being able to land the first volley helps.  Another thing that can be a quick duel ender is if you see the enemy DD before he sees you, and you're at pretty short range, launch torps where you think he'll go once you start the gun duel.  And then open fire with your guns, and if you're lucky, the enemy DD will unknowingly sail  straight into your torps, and, Boom!, duel over.

Definitely a different approach...I'm a hunter of isolations....happy Thanksgiving 

[SALVO]
Members
25,438 posts
27,395 battles
2 minutes ago, Meta_Man said:

Definitely a different approach...I'm a hunter of isolations....happy Thanksgiving 

Oh, I certainly like catching  isolated ships.  My point was I don't think that seeking out general 1v1 duels is a good idea, unless you have a significant advantage going in.  If you engage an enemy 1v1 on equal footing, you'll both probably end up getting trashed.  And sinking the enemy ship in exchange for your ship being left barely afloat is more often than not, not a good trade (unless, for example, it's the end of the battle and your team can afford the trade because sinking that enemy ship matters more than keeping yours afloat).

[META_]
Members
1,595 posts
17,122 battles
5 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Oh, I certainly like catching  isolated ships.  My point was I don't think that seeking out general 1v1 duels is a good idea, unless you have a significant advantage going in.  If you engage an enemy 1v1 on equal footing, you'll both probably end up getting trashed.  And sinking the enemy ship in exchange for your ship being left barely afloat is more often than not, not a good trade (unless, for example, it's the end of the battle and your team can afford the trade because sinking that enemy ship matters more than keeping yours afloat).

Usually the dds i play i have an advantage...z I'm looking to smoke hydro...French looking to reload booster...mid tier Americans good close range knife fighter....I don't look to isolate in my ijns 

[SYN]
Members
1,360 posts
10,604 battles
On 11/26/2020 at 1:49 PM, Meta_Man said:

....I don't look to isolate in my ijns

Don't be so sure. Look to isolate damaged DDs.  Harekaze,  Yugumo,  and Shima all have decent guns that surprise enemies not expecting a (gun)fight. 

[META_]
Members
1,595 posts
17,122 battles
On 12/18/2020 at 10:53 PM, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

Don't be so sure. Look to isolate damaged DDs.  Harekaze,  Yugumo,  and Shima all have decent guns that surprise enemies not expecting a (gun)fight. 

I definitely use my guns in my ijn , just saying I don't say to myself at the beginning of the match (hey I'm looking to isolate someone)..in ijn I want to torp a group more than I do in my other dds....