You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

The Four Levels of Team Co-Operation (for DD players).

12 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
21,615 posts
15,672 battles

I've spent a fair amount of time this year grinding destroyers, and a vid I watched on YouTube this morning brought certain thoughts and sentiments bubbling to the surface. I thus present to you:

The four levels of team co-operation:

1) Accurate and effective focus fire on demand. Important enemy ships (enemy DDs, radar cruisers etc.) are either killed, grievously wounded, or driven off. A victory is highly likely.
2) Team responds to calls for fire but those responding can't aim accurately. Some enemy ships might be dissuaded. Good teamplay might carry the day if the enemy is lacking in this regard. 
3) Team does not respond to calls for focus fire but can at least shoot and kill enemy ships. These are often the occasions on which you will be left to die to half the enemy team, but your noble sacrifice enables victory.
4) Team does not respond to calls for focus fire and can't kill ships to save their own lives. The enemy team has a roll-over victory, and you are left screaming colourful adjectives and drinking heavily. 

All this is of course something of an oversimplification - there is a lot of grey area, and the Venn diagram required would do horrific things to the minds of most mathematicians - but I think there is at least a kernel of truth in it.

To put it more simply:

OUTCOMES FOR DD PLAYER DISTRIBUTION TABLE:

Team shoots well Team shoots poorly
Team answers fire calls :cap_like: :fish_palm:
Team ignores fire calls :cap_rambo: :etc_swear:

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

[NSEW]
Members
2,098 posts
11,325 battles

You've left out the possibilities of players firing upon low HP targets more than others.  Ergo, fire onto the target as much as possible to raise such 'support' fires.

There is a reason why such calls work well within players willing to support such requests (i.e. Divisions) .  If only it would transfer over to the Random players, it would be a very nice change.

[WKY13]
Members
527 posts
11,041 battles
5 minutes ago, LowSpeed_US said:

You've left out the possibilities of players firing upon low HP targets more than others.  Ergo, fire onto the target as much as possible to raise such 'support' fires.

There is a reason why such calls work well within players willing to support such requests (i.e. Divisions) .  If only it would transfer over to the Random players, it would be a very nice change.

If randoms did this it would be the new CV/Radar/&c. to cry about.

• Boring 1

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,069 posts
22,594 battles

WG should implement "team voice chat" for every random battle. If you have a mic and have enabled voice chat then you could talk to every other capably-equipped captain on your team and coordinate fires, verbally. 

Of course, then you have to deal with toxic voice chat if it exists. I think it would be handy but can see it quickly become a burden.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
21,615 posts
15,672 battles
39 minutes ago, Khafni said:

Of course, then you have to deal with toxic voice chat if it exists.

Not to mention straight-out abusive or criminal stuff, or adults soliciting/stalking minors because they can hear an obviously adolescent voice in chat and attach it to a specific player ID. That sort of stuff is a can of worms I can understand WG wanting to stand well clear of. 

The closest you're going to have for the all-team voice chat is clan battles or the whole-team divs that are possible in Operations. 

1 hour ago, Spirit_of_76 said:

If randoms did this it would be the new CV/Radar/&c. to cry about.

We already have whines about "their team had two unicum divs and mine was all 40%-WR noobs". 

1 hour ago, LowSpeed_US said:

You've left out the possibilities of players firing upon low HP targets more than others. 

I did openly admit that it was an oversimplification and I did state "important ships" and imply with "etc" that it was not an exhaustive list, but you're correct. 

[WKY13]
Members
527 posts
11,041 battles
58 minutes ago, Khafni said:

WG should implement "team voice chat" for every random battle. If you have a mic and have enabled voice chat then you could talk to every other capably-equipped captain on your team and coordinate fires, verbally. 

Of course, then you have to deal with toxic voice chat if it exists. I think it would be handy but can see it quickly become a burden.

Imagine the salt.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,615 posts
15,672 battles
1 minute ago, Spirit_of_76 said:

Imagine the salt.

I've read accounts of actual fighter pilots trapped in their burning aircraft using their last moments to complain about how their friends abandoned them to die. While it's quite understandable to lose your s**t when you know you're going to either burn to death or roast on the way down then die on impact, even then there's a case of a squadron-mate mashing the transmit button and telling the unfortunate to "Shut up and die like an aviator". 

On the other hand, I can easily imagine that someone who no longer had the responsibility of driving their ship could stand back and look at the bigger picture, spotting opportunities their team-mates might not.

• Cool 1

[GOCRY]
Members
634 posts

Good radio discipline is challenging for professionals in various lines of work.  Imagine some salty, spiteful noob telling the rest of his team how bad they are after he gets himself deleted in the first 3 minutes and now has nothing better to do.

[SALVO]
Members
2,512 posts
6,672 battles
7 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Not to mention straight-out abusive or criminal stuff, or adults soliciting/stalking minors because they can hear an obviously adolescent voice in chat and attach it to a specific player ID. That sort of stuff is a can of worms I can understand WG wanting to stand well clear of. 

From my experience in other games that have this it’s not a criminal problem but pain on multiple levels problem.

- Unlike clan hosted  Teamspeaks and Discords you can’t make people use push to talk. Because the lord knows 90% of all of you can’t setup voice activation  worth a damn.   So you have to listen to people’s music and off screen conversations . 

- Even with good voice activation you still get the heavy breathers, the dog barking, the bird chirping . The mom or dad or Wife yelling. Etc.

- Then you get all the people running off of speakers ...... instead of a decent headset . So you get all that noise.

- Terrible microphones.

- usually companies make up their own voice codecs. Which are often terrible.

- Now with all that out of the way you get the obnoxious people .  Those that don’t know Jack but want to be admiral of the fleet. 

There will just be far too much salt. From my experience open voice chat that can’t be policed is most often a nightmare. 

• Cool 2

[WKY13]
Members
527 posts
11,041 battles
45 minutes ago, SeaGladius said:

Good radio discipline is challenging for professionals in various lines of work.  Imagine some salty, spiteful noob telling the rest of his team how bad they are after he gets himself deleted in the first 3 minutes and now has nothing better to do.

I can imagine it, but I would hard code turning off their voice chat upon their destruction.

Still too much salt.

[WKY13]
Members
527 posts
11,041 battles
52 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I've read accounts of actual fighter pilots trapped in their burning aircraft using their last moments to complain about how their friends abandoned them to die. While it's quite understandable to lose your s**t when you know you're going to either burn to death or roast on the way down then die on impact, even then there's a case of a squadron-mate mashing the transmit button and telling the unfortunate to "Shut up and die like an aviator". 

On the other hand, I can easily imagine that someone who no longer had the responsibility of driving their ship could stand back and look at the bigger picture, spotting opportunities their team-mates might not.

Rare at best. Far more often just typing abuse.