You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
lol183821

USS Langley Rocket Citadel

6 comments in this topic

Members
3,411 posts
40,554 battles
58 minutes ago, lol183821 said:

Question: How come I get citadels? Are they normal? i mean, its so rare to get cits with uss langley.

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 18.32.29.png

No, that is possible. Velocity can penetrate thin armor on certain ships. In your case. Light cruisers and CVs.

The HE rocket citadel phenomenon is well known. It is a lot to do with how close you are to target.

In your case, you seem to be really good at getting very close and holding the reticle just right. Which is 90 degrees angle of coincidence.   T

[WOLFC]
Members
1,982 posts
10,378 battles
57 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

No, that is possible. Velocity can penetrate thin armor on certain ships. In your case. Light cruisers and CVs.

The HE rocket citadel phenomenon is well known. It is a lot to do with how close you are to target.

In your case, you seem to be really good at getting very close and holding the reticle just right. Which is 90 degrees angle of coincidence.   T

No, HE rockets and bombs use the same penetration mechanics as HE shells, i.e. they have a fixed penetration value and velocity and angle don’t matter. All that matters is the thickness of the armor plate that the rockets hit. I haven’t crunched the numbers, but given the extremely thin armor you see on many low tier ships I’m not surprised this is possible.

Edited by Nevermore135

Members
4 posts
113 battles
21 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

actually, it's not that im gud at keeping 90°, it's just that Im still playing with bots (under tier V, under 200 games), so ya

[SCREW]
Members
14 posts
3,810 battles
1 hour ago, lol183821 said:

actually, it's not that im gud at keeping 90°, it's just that Im still playing with bots (under tier V, under 200 games), so ya

Just so you know, angle has nothing to do with it. If an HE rocket directly strikes a ships's citadel, and has greater penetration than the citadel armor thickness, you will get a citadel hit.

For example, the tier 3 Japanese light cruiser Tenryu has a "citadel deck" with a thickness of 25mm. If you hit this deck with an HE rocket from Langley, with 27mm penetration, you will score a citadel hit on Tenryu.

This is rare, but not impossible! With Langley you can get citadel hits on Tenryu, Kuma, Caledon, and Danae, I think.

[SEAST]
Members
49 posts
9,713 battles

To citadel with HE (shells, rockets or bombs), two conditions must satisfy:

1) exposed citadel (quite common for cruisers, especially lower tier ones)

2) HE has higher penetration than the citadel armor