BrushWolf

Ronin

9 comments in this topic

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,093 posts
14,707 battles

No not the leaderless samurai but the 1998 movie of the same name. I just re-watched it and the chase scenes are still just as white knuckle as the Bullitt or French Connection chases and John Frankenheimer amazingly used the exact same techniques as he did to film the classic racing movie Grand Prix 32 years earlier. He made a classic action movie that actually had a real plot that still holds up to this day! He also uniquely is one of the few directors that the Paris authorities have allowed to film action sequences in Paris.I wish there were more directors like him today.

• Cool 3

Members
3,411 posts
40,499 battles

If you notice, he most likely did that scene on a day where no one would likely be around and likely around 4-6 am.

The lighting seems to suggest that.

It is often easy to film car chases if you ask a city's traffic controller what is the peak times and what days are the lowest turnouts.

Most cities track that statistic meticulously for funding purposes with government. It's a great way to get an awesome scene that most directors would be envious of.

Sometimes, it's all about how you ask. In an old job, I installed 3 sections of an aisle for a store by negotiating the start time and staging area.

I just prepped the set up. We got what would normally takes 6 hours done in 4.

This is a great movie. And is a classic example of what great directors can do when they are given creative freedom.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,093 posts
14,707 battles
7 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

If you notice, he most likely did that scene on a day where no one would likely be around and likely around 4-6 am.

The lighting seems to suggest that.

It is often easy to film car chases if you ask a city's traffic controller what is the peak times and what days are the lowest turnouts.

Most cities track that statistic meticulously for funding purposes with government. It's a great way to get an awesome scene that most directors would be envious of.

Sometimes, it's all about how you ask. In an old job, I installed 3 sections of an aisle for a store by negotiating the start time and staging area.

I just prepped the set up. We got what would normally takes 6 hours done in 4.

This is a great movie. And is a classic example of what great directors can do when they are given creative freedom.

They did film on weekends and early in the morning but getting approval from the Paris government for those scenes was unprecedented but they did it because they appreciated his work so much.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,776 posts
4,733 battles

@BrushWolf I came here to post the same thing. Apparently we were watching it at the same time.  This is a film that deserves to be remembered.  Best of all,

It's Free !  

Not sure for how long.

Literally "Free with Ads" but I never see one.  I use uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger in Firefox.

Edited by iDuckman

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,093 posts
14,707 battles
2 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

@BrushWolf I came here to post the same thing. Apparently we were watching it at the same time.  This is a film that deserves to be remembered.  Best of all,

It's Free ! 

Not sure for how long.

Literally "Free with Ads" but I never see one.  I use uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger in Firefox.

I watched it through Prime.