You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Captwarthog

New User first impressions of this game

110 comments in this topic

[H0PA2]
Members
17 posts
99 battles

My first impressions of this game.

Mind you i only have 70 battles in randoms right now but once i got passed tier 5 the game has really not been any fun. 

Tier 7 now. i get 9 out of ten games in a matchup where i am out tiered so badly it's not even funny. Tier 7  German BB with no researched upgrades vs a Georgia and a Jean Bart. My first game in the ship was like that. and then the one game i do get into that is matched tier a CV Detonates me before my second volley. Very fun an engaging.. NOT. why would you have a mechanic in the game like that? CV's already cannot be stopped and you allow them Freebie kills too?

Tier 6 and 7 so far have been anything but fun. I thank you for the opportunity to look into this game but Honestly. it's not any fun. 

Good Luck, but as a New player..i wont be playing anymore. Not even worth my time to spend the next 3 tiers always being on the short end of the stick.

• Cool 7
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 2
  • Boring 8
  • Meh 2

[YORHA]
Members
5,150 posts
10,327 battles

You have made the classic mistake of rushing up thinking "If I get a bigger ship, I will be good">  This game doesn't work that way.

• Cool 10
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[REVY]
Members
8,099 posts
6,118 battles
4 minutes ago, Captwarthog said:

Tier 6 and 7 so far have been anything but fun. I thank you for the opportunity to look into this game but Honestly. it's not any fun. 

Why?

[WOLFC]
Members
2,008 posts
10,437 battles

Getting to tier VII at only 70 battles is way too soon. You need to spend quite a bit longer at the lower tiers to learn the fundamentals before you are ready for the higher tiers. Unfortunately, since you’ve already played above tier IV you no longer will get the protected MM (200 battles) for newcomers and will now have to play with the general population regardless of what tier you play.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 6
  • Meh 1

[VORTX]
Members
424 posts
6,340 battles

Wow takes a while to get decent. Even then ... it’s a very challenging game. Particularly for an arcade style shoot em up with floating artillery barges. There are a lot of complex mechanics involved and strategies change fluidly and dynamically based on the various present factors. Gnies can do fine in tier 9 games. It does get old being bottom tier over and over, and MM will send you on winning snd losing streaks for no apparent reasons. I suggest to play a few more lines up to VII or so before final judgment. Soviet BB is very good. Soviet cruisers are great as is the German cruiser line. Maybe even five CV or DD a go. US for both seem to be the way to go for newbs, though I’m not sure I’m qualified for advice on those types of ships. GL, HH. 

[-KAK-]
Members
607 posts
11,809 battles

Look, I won't lie, T7 can be in a tough spot in most 7-9 games. 

That said, You really need to play more before you run up the tiers. You think T7 VS T9 is bad, wait till you hit T10 VS T10. Yes, there's a tier element in how you're going to perform, but there's a huge player skill element in there at the same time. I know someone who raced up to Amagi (IJN T8 BB), and complained that it was useless. He was charging into the middle of the fray each battle instead of hanging back a bit and picking his fights. 

On this front - How have you been playing Gneis? You need to pick your fights. Just because you have torps doesn't mean you should be able to use them 24/7. 

[A-O]
Members
1,025 posts
10,478 battles
20 minutes ago, Captwarthog said:

Mind you i only have 70 battles in randoms right now but once i got passed tier 5 the game has really not been any fun. 

Tier 7 now. i get 9 out of ten games in a matchup where i am out tiered so badly it's not even funny. Tier 7  German BB with no researched upgrades vs a Georgia and a Jean Bart. My first game in the ship was like that. and then the one game i do get into that is matched tier a CV Detonates me before my second volley. Very fun an engaging.. NOT. why would you have a mechanic in the game like that? CV's already cannot be stopped and you allow them Freebie kills too?

Good Luck, but as a New player..i wont be playing anymore. Not even worth my time to spend the next 3 tiers always being on the short end of the stick.

So this kid got his driver's license on a sunny Friday afternoon. Sunday morning he went to take an F1 car for a spin and ended up -surprise- in a tire wall. The car is crap he said, no fun at all...

You are driving a T7 Gneis after 70 battles...

So you have played 70 games, 20 in Gneis. Well, I have some 10,000 battles now and the Gneis is my 2nd most played ship. What do you think will happen if we go 1 on 1 :-)

Edited by freggo
spelling fix
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
1,582 posts
11,110 battles
6 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

Something about OP's post seems off...

He complained about detonation when people stopped talking about that after the CV rework?

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,059 posts
10,837 battles
Just now, Rouxi said:

He complained about detonation when people stopped talking about that after the CV rework?

You're right, they did change the detonation mechanics! This description would not be possible with the current detonation rules. We have an alt account faker!

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,008 posts
10,437 battles
7 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

You're right, they did change the detonation mechanics! This description would not be possible with the current detonation rules. We have an alt account faker!

Or he’s just adapting a time-honored tradition among this community: hyperbole involving CVs.

Edited by Nevermore135

[HKC]
Members
664 posts

Welcome to the game. 

Yes: give it more time. Play more games at tier 3 - 5.  

As you go up in tiers, the margin for error gets smaller and smaller. Mistakes are swiftly punished at higher tiers.

As you gather more insight and skill, being low tier in any game will no longer be a liability, and you will find offers more challenging opportunities for you to be a benefit to the team.

Good luck!

- Viva Palestine

P.S. Don't buy premiums for a while, or invest money, until you really feel you want to keep playing.  Wait a year.

• Cool 3
  • Meh 1

[PVE]
Members
1,098 posts
9,422 battles

The game doesn't get better. If you get to know the game and decide you like it enough to stick around then gravy. Most of what annoys you will still annoy you after thousands of battles though. Detonations, match making, etc. are still lame.

Most of it becomes less of a deal as you get used to things if you decide to stick around long enough. Don't feel bad if you walk away.

• Boring 1

Members
1,582 posts
11,110 battles
20 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

13 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Or he’s just adapting a time-honored tradition among this community: hyperbole involving CVs.

It's not hyperbole since each strike is considered separate so a CV could detonate someone with the first squad on the 2nd or 3rd strike. 

[WOLFC]
Members
2,008 posts
10,437 battles
6 minutes ago, Rouxi said:

It's not hyperbole since each strike is considered separate so a CV could detonate someone with the first squad on the 2nd or 3rd strike. 

51 minutes ago, Captwarthog said:

Very fun an engaging.. NOT. why would you have a mechanic in the game like that? CV's already cannot be stopped and you allow them Freebie kills too?

^
Hyperbole: A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect.

Sounds like hyperbole to me.

[WOLF1]
Members
518 posts
1,418 battles
37 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

I have recently denoated a ship via torpedo in the USS ranger. torpedo hit just forward of the torpedo bulge below turret 2 on a t7 battleship I forgot the name of...

will try to see if there is any screenshots of it...

Edited by Boomer625

[WPORT]
Members
6,690 posts
11,681 battles
48 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

Something about OP's post seems off...

:cap_like:

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[SALVO]
Members
5,372 posts
4,587 battles
55 minutes ago, Captwarthog said:

with only 70 matches under your belt you have absolutely no reason to progress beyond T5, take your time and enjoy the lower tiers while you learn the game. Even T5 will be challenging for you if you get uptiered, but at least you still have the protected new player MM. If you go beyond T5 you get out of your protected zone and get to play with and against the general population.

[WOLFG]
Members
30,795 posts
9,354 battles
41 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

You're right, they did change the detonation mechanics! This description would not be possible with the current detonation rules. 

Now now, don't jump to conclusions.

For all we know, he got hit by something that outranged him for 25% of his HP between the time when the CV spotted him, and the time when it was done attacking him.

It would be pretty rare, but could certainly happen. There's a good chance that if he was focused in the planes, he might not have even noticed he lost 1/4 of his HP from a distant salvo.

Who knows?

• Cool 4

[TWFT]
Members
80 posts
5,809 battles
1 hour ago, Captwarthog said:

CV's already cannot be stopped and you allow them Freebie kills too?

I am sorry but this part is laughable. A CV getting a detonation on a BB is quite rare. CVs have been hit with a nerf bat so hard that they're only a shell of their former self. Their torp bombers don't delete you in one strike as they used to. The rocket planes are meh at best against anything angled. 

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
5,424 posts
8,911 battles

Ok, bye? If you really think that you've surmounted the game's learning curve after 70 battles, then World of Warships was not the game for you.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
28 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

:cap_like:

He's playing less than 20 battles before moving up a tier and doing unicum damage in the process.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[TWFT]
Members
80 posts
5,809 battles

I have to agree with the rest of the people telling you that 70 battles being in a T7 is just way too soon. Take it from me, as I did the same thing, I rushed my way up to T7 when I first joined this game. It freaking sucked. So I sold everything I had over T5 and stayed there for about 2 months. I was playing practically every day for around 4-5hrs a day. I am not saying I am the greatest in the game, because I am not. But I can tell you that the frustration with MM will still continue even when you have 10k battles. The frustration with CVs will continue, the frustration with DDs will continue. Basically, the frustration with the game will continue. What you need to understand and learn is that the ONLY thing you can control in WoWS is your own play and not getting frustrated with what you can't control or change. Unfortunately for you though, going back to T5 now won't give you the 200 match MM protection so you can and will most likely get up tiered in a T5. So you have two choices:

1. Suck it up and deal with it and improve yourself

2. Go to program files, find WoWS, hit uninstall 

Edited by Jystri
  • Thanks 1

[DTM]
Members
93 posts
38 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

with only 70 matches under your belt you have absolutely no reason to progress beyond T5, take your time and enjoy the lower tiers while you learn the game. Even T5 will be challenging for you if you get uptiered, but at least you still have the protected new player MM. If you go beyond T5 you get out of your protected zone and get to play with and against the general population.

I kinda don't agree, you learn more playing against other people then bots.

Also I thought protection was T1 -T4 up to 200 battles or after T5 battle

[WOLF7]
Members
494 posts
1 hour ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

New user first impressions of this game

"new user" = account reroll/troll account in this case. Just a typical CV whiner/complainer. Nothing new or interesting to see here.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1