You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
humzah302

Questions

8 comments in this topic

[LEARN]
Members
2 posts
2,087 battles

Hi! I started playing this game recently and I have a few questions. I mostly played co-op but I recently dabbled in some randoms this past month. I recently got my first tier 10 which is the Kurfurst and began playing it in randoms.

My current build is this:  Main arm mod 1, Damage control 1, Secondary 1, Steering mod,  Conceal mod 1, Aux armament mod 2. 

Captain (18 points)- PM,AR,BFT,AFT,MFC, and CE

I also use the 406mm instead of 420mm

1.  I've run into problems with the Kurfursts unusual attraction to being set ablaze. This led me to remove the IFHE skill on my secondary captain in favor of concealment(Which has done wonders). But I am wondering if I should go all the way and change my secondary captain build into a tank build. What's better? Secondary, Tank, or maybe Hybrid? If it is tank wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the main thing for the German line, powerful secondaries?

2. I feel there is a jarring difference between using 380mm and 406/420mm (Aside from damage). I can hit good shots with the 380 but I seem to struggle using 406/420. Where do I line up the crosshair against a broadsided target? With the 380mm it was usually at the waterline. However, with 406/420 I get mixed results aiming at the water line or slightly above it. Can I just chalk it up being German dispersion or am I not lining up the crosshair in the right spot. I do notice that aiming at the waterline often makes my shots fall short.  

3. How would you play the Kurfurst in tier 10's? The Kurfurst feels so awkward to use compared to other ships in the German line. Yea you're giant and it feels great until you get spotted and announced to the whole server who they should rain HE upon. You can't sit back in this thing because it's not a sniper but you also don't want to yolo rush.  

4. Where does the Kurfurst sit among all the other Tier 10 BB's? Has it been power crept by other ships? I don't see many playing the Kurfurst in randoms.

I tried to find answers to these questions online but all the sources I found seem out of date (2017-2019) and maybe a lot has changed since then. I seriously feel like something is off about the Kurfurst or maybe it's just me.  I do admit I need to play more games at tier 10 to get a better understanding of what it is like. It does feel weird that other BB's can stay out in the open and snipe while I'm stuck behind an island praying that the one ship raining HE doesn't start a fire.

Again I am pretty new so any tips that come to mind when playing German BB's or playing in Tier 10's, in general, would be much appreciated.

[MHG]
Members
90 posts
3,875 battles

1) you really don't need IFHE on German Secondary builds anymore, you don't pass any big enough thresholds. My hybrid build is: PT, AR, SI, CE, AFT, FP, EL.

2) I recommend taking reload mod in your last slot as you can get a 25.5 second reload on the 406's, which is pretty awesome. Aiming and knowing how to lead is just a learned skill you slowly build when you just play and get used to the ballistic characteristics of a new ship. P.S: there no longer a such thing as "German dispersion" as the line now uses the USN formula. GK is just about as accurate as Conqueror, both use the same formula with a 1.8 sigma. 

3) I like to play the ship as an aggressive BB without outright rushing in and dying. Your first job is to use that good reload and try to take out those pesky radar cruisers and HE spammers that will make pushing hard. Next is to slowly push near but not into an objective, preferably with an island to one side. Only execute this last part if your team is supporting you/just behind you and pushing with you. Keep hydro up to avoid explosive dolphins and take some hits for your team while also being able to angle if you need to. The point is to reinforce a push, not be the push, because that is an easy way to get focused and die. 

4) GK is still one of the most popular T10 BB's in the game, but her performance is very limited in the current meta, as heavy handed, strong, coordinated pushes are rare these days and the current meta encourages more passive play for battleships. That being said, there is a difference between fun and powerful, and I think GK falls into the former category more than the later. 

[LEARN]
Members
2 posts
2,087 battles

Thanks for the reply. I did take a look at the reload modification mod and wondered if I should use that or go full secondary, I'll give it a shot. Also I am quite surprised and pleased to hear the G.K is popular. Maybe matchmaking doesn't put more than 1 or 2 on each side in a game. Then again I think I have seen 3 of the same ship on a team before. I guess I've read way too many old posts on german BB's to get that german dispersion line. Thanks for letting me know that is outdated now.

Edited by humzah302

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,689 posts
19,844 battles

Tank build is more meta. Secondary build is more memes. Kurfurst sadly got left behind a bit in the meta, powercrept quite a bit. Mediocre accuracy at range and bad turret angles, armor scheme that moves better the closer you are, which just invites HE spam.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,243 posts
21,643 battles

Hybrid....

Take both dam control mod.

Take concealment mod 

Captain.

Pt, ar, em, si, fp, aft, Jot & pm

[CO-OP]
Members
2,009 posts
25,983 battles

1. Go full secondary build for co-op.  Survival build for randoms.  If you have (or can afford to get) Gunther Lutjens get him.  One word of warning, with the coming skill changes your secondary build will be somewhat tweaked.  It should still be a viable option, we just don't know how it will work if the meta changes because of the changes.

2. You might want to set up a training room and practice your targeting.  German dispersion aside you should still be taking out chunks of hit-points off of ships within 15 kms.  

3. For co-op, sail forward and engage the enemy.  Set your secondaries on the closest destroyer (or cruiser if there isn't a destroyer present.)  If a torpedo ship gets within 5 kms trip your hydro.  Random play is more fluid, so you want to be close to your cruisers to support, but not if you're going to be overwhelmed by the enemy.  You'll need to use your best judgement for these cases.

4. Gk has been power-crept, but can still be fun.

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
2,064 posts
26,965 battles
1 minute ago, HamptonRoads said:

1. Go full secondary build for co-op.  Survival build for randoms.

This

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

Kurf is a force of nature. It's a blunt instrument. It's the breaching tool a SWAT team uses when storming a doorway.

Kurf needs a steady hand and either a division or coordinated flank push with supporting units to shine. Timing and awareness are critical. Its too big to dance well and doesn't take kindly tobfocused  HE spam for long. 

Survival build is a must. HP is an attribute of this ship so maximize it. Secondary build is, well, a secondary consideration but still easily incorporated. Secondaries are another attribute you should maximize. You need not concern yourself IF HE. Get your consumable reload times down, your repair effectiveness up, check superintendent, check the 3&4 pointsecondary boxes, if you have anything left give it to your turret rotation. For modules I like survival builds with the extended secondary module as well. 

I get annoyed when people talk about this ship and a meta. It's not that they are wrong. It's just that this ship doesn't give a fart about finesse. Yeah high ROF HE spam is probably a bigger problem for more people than carriers could possibly be. Yeah AP bombs can smash it hard. So what? You can count on two hands the number of good cv drivers in this game. You want to play a boat this freaking big and live forever? Heil no! Come back with your shield or on it!

It's gonna get hit by AP one year, HE another year, bombers another year but the cocophony that might be to mortal ships is all just the faint background noise to a Kurf caught in bloodlust. It's a Terminator. It's doesn't feel pain, it can't be reasoned with and it absolutely will not stop until they are dead.

You are gonna love this ship if you play it to its considerable strengths. Carefully choose your path of demolition and go demolish it.The closer it gets the more dangerous it becomes and anyone within 10km of it is hosed.

Lastly, stick with the faster firing guns and skip the bigger ones. They aren't worth it.

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 1