You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hapa_Fodder

November Call to action question for the community.

56 comments in this topic

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
3,976 posts
14,368 battles

This months question is pretty straight forward!

If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

For me? It would be the UK. I have always wanted to explore the islands, from Ireland down to Portsmouth to London! So much history, so much to see! I could totally nerd out! :Smile_izmena:

What about you?

Mahalo,

-Hapa

• Cool 1

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles
9 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

It would be the UK. I have always wanted to explore the islands, from Ireland down to Portsmouth to London! So much history, so much to see! I could totally nerd out! 

Why do people always wanna visit Londun?
Our capital city is like, super totally, boring. Maybe I've just been too many times but its not a fun experience to me.

Portsmouth, specifically the Historic Dockyard, is great though. I live right nextdoor and while shes a shade of her former self, HMS Victory is pretty cool. Warrior is definitely the star attraction, much closer to her original forme and much more impressive. Very cool.
Also added benefit of things like the Isle of Wight, which is quite pretty. If you time it right we have an annual visit from a large paddle-steamer which is like super cool. Lots of good shoreline to stare at, especially when you go closer to the Jurassic coast down west.
Much better then Londun for sure, and I ain't even started on the lake district!

As for me, I definitely think I would want to see Kyoto for its pretty architecture, and Kure sounds very much like the IJN equivilent of the historic dockyard down here, so it'd be cool.

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
3,976 posts
14,368 battles
1 minute ago, Akeno017 said:

Why do people always wanna visit Londun?
Our capital city is like, super totally, boring. Maybe I've just been too many times but its not a fun experience to me.

Portsmouth, specifically the Historic Dockyard, is great though. I live right nextdoor and while shes a shade of her former self, HMS Victory is pretty cool. Warrior is definitely the star attraction, much closer to her original forme and much more impressive. Very cool.
Also added benefit of things like the Isle of Wight, which is quite pretty. If you time it right we have an annual visit from a large paddle-steamer which is like super cool. Lots of good shoreline to stare at, especially when you go closer to the Jurassic coast down west.
Much better then Londun for sure, and I ain't even started on the lake district!

As for me, I definitely think I would want to see Kyoto for its pretty architecture, and Kure sounds very much like the IJN equivilent of the historic dockyard down here, so it'd be cool.

LOL, I was using London as a landmark more than anything, I mean ideally I'd like to spend like a month in the UK, visiting all over Ireland, Scotland etc... But since I've never been.... I dunno where to go :)

-Hapa

[BE-ER]
Beta Testers
94 posts
15,336 battles

I'd like to go back to Romania. Been there once, beautiful country and lots of history. Been to to Transylvania and Walachia, would like to go back there, but also go to Moldavia and Bukovina.

[EFCSG]
[EFCSG]
Members
17 posts
12,473 battles

i have been to many places,  and the U.K and london. i had fun in,,,, benidorm spain,  palma,  finland, belize, .. i would go back to spain..

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles
1 minute ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

But since I've never been.... I dunno where to go :)

-Hapa

S'pose the best thing I can think of Londun is the Natural History Museum, thats got a fair bit and quite cool. Tourists arent nearly as much of a problem there.

Main reason I dislike Londun so much, I've actually been pushed off the pavement into the road because they have so little care of their surroundings and others.
Glad to say that most of the natural landmarks like the lake district, various other places etc, lack them which makes them so much better
Most interesting naval places lack those as well. Reminds me, I think theres a submarine museum and another for naval history too. Also a diving museum down south in Gosport.
Plenty of various forts, Portchester castle is closeby (very impressive for a structure over 2 millenia in age), sure I've missed plenty too.

[TTWS]
[TTWS]
Members
60 posts
1,399 battles

I may have mentioned this before, I don't remember. Until recently, I had never left the state of Texas, then I ended up going to five states in the span of two months. This was just before everything got shut down due to Covid-19. I honestly don't know if I could handle another trip like that because I ended up having to leave my then 8 month old pup named CJ with my cousins and I was worried the whole trip. The trip actually was okay but now I feel like I'm getting a little off topic.

• Funny 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,389 posts
4,196 battles

Oh dear, so many places. 

I'm from the US. I'd like to take a trip out west and explore the Rockies and parks out that way. I've been out that way once or twice, but I'd like a chance to spend some serious time in that part of the country.

Internationally, probably Italy, especially Rome. I've been once but I was only 6 or 7. I now have a degree in Latin, to visit the historical sites would be pretty awesome. Also my Dad's side is all Italian so the cultural experience would be great as well. Especially the south and Sicily. Maybe some day. Beautiful country, that I do remember from my first trip.

There's a lot of other places of course that I wouldn't mind seeing. But I think Italy is the one where I would really want to spend some serious time.

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,670 posts
20,635 battles

I would love to take a month of travel over England from York for Viking Festival to London, to the Downton Abbey house, to Wales,  to any pub/bar in Ireland. I would like to spend a week in London at the Imperial War museum. I swear I will read every sign and plaque on the exhibits.

[KWF]
Members
4,893 posts
6,590 battles

I'd love to visit U.S.A and Japan. Both offer a pretty diferent way of living from mine (Europe) so I would like to witness that experience.

5 minutes ago, Tpaktop2_1 said:

I would love to take a month of travel over England from York for Viking Festival to London, to the Downton Abbey house, to Wales,  to any pub/bar in Ireland. I would like to spend a week in London at the Imperial War museum. I swear I will read every sign and plaque on the exhibits.

While IWM in London is pretty decent and there are some nice naval exhibits (Belfast aside there's the National Maritime Museum and Cutty Sark too), to me the really worthwhile places to visit military History wise are away from the capital. Portsmouth for the Historic Dockyard, Bovington for the Tanks and Duxford for the airplanes. This pretty much covers all the bases.

[WOLFG]
Members
10,497 posts
9,789 battles

Been to England, Argentina, and Russia, so probably Japan or possibly China.

Just maybe not right now.

Members
7 posts
2,591 battles

I'd love to visit Scotland (and the rest of the UK of course) due to having ancestry there as well as the various monuments and historic battles that took place there as well as all the medieval architecture that might be left over, as well as the landscapes. I would also like to visit Japan since I do want to see some of the various historic castles and shrines there.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,687 posts
19,824 battles
1 hour ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Kubinka tank museum. Reason I'm picking this over Bovington is because it's fairly realistic I'll actually visit Bovington some time soon-ish maybe in the next few years. Kubinka not so much. So that'd be the one I pick if all restrictions and issues magically disappeared and I could pick one.

[F4E]
[F4E]
Members
720 posts
13,940 battles

This is a topic I often speak to friends about. The conversation goes something similar to this. Back in my day, If I had a do-over. When I turned 18 I would have never went back to school, settled or gotten a job anywhere. I would have taken a backpack and the money in my pocket and bought a bus or plane ticket to wherever popped up and I could afford. Pan-handled, hitchhiked  or taken odd jobs from that point to get me to the next. At age 57 I like to think I would have been almost everywhere by now. Learned a few languages and made a few friends. Now when I sometimes watch TV, or some social media like a twitch channel and see people doing this very thing. I can't help to not be a little envious of today's technology that allows people to do exactly that.  

If I could visit anywhere in the world where would I go? My answer has to be everywhere! 

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,232 posts
21,634 battles

Being an Air Force Brat , and spending 7 years serving on a C-141B flying all over the world.....

France.

One of the few historic European countries i haven't touch land...

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,326 posts
16,716 battles
2 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

This months question is pretty straight forward!

For me? It would be the UK. I have always wanted to explore the islands, from Ireland down to Portsmouth to London! So much history, so much to see! I could totally nerd out! :Smile_izmena:

What about you?

Mahalo,

-Hapa

:Smile_great:Japan I was born there in the 50's, Dad met n married mom here brought her there and thats where I was born and since a young man I've been fascinated by their land and culture image.thumb.png.069ec75008c045166f3b2266b9199ca4.png

Valkyrie Chooser of the Slain#7.png

• Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
1,997 posts
25,891 battles

I would like to go to Antarctica in December 2021.  This is the only continent that I haven't seen a solar eclipse.  

[PVE]
Members
376 posts
3,136 battles

The wife and I both being army brats and spending double tours in Germany when we were younger well Germany would be the jumping off point.  She wants to see the entirety of Ireland.  For me well Scotland Spain back to Germany moving into what was Czechoslovakia.  Poland simply because the wife is a linguist and is currently teaching herself Polish.  Then back off through Hungary Romania off over that way.  Heading towards the Balkans.  The old Dalmatian Coast.  Then...  well that would keep us busy for awhile.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
19,943 battles
6 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

If I had the means .... everywhere!

Slowly, with absolutely no agenda what so ever! Just Eat, Drink, and be Merry!

The world is just to much fun to stay in one place.

• Cool 2

[CRF]
Members
851 posts
8,481 battles

Love to travel - been to Europe several times on business, always managed to take a week off to visit the sites.  Got to go to Singapore for a conference - spent 10 days there for a four day conference...love tropical islands - been to the Caribbean as well as Tahiti.  But still want to explore parts of England, Wales and Scotland, the Loire Valley in France, Cinque Terra in Italy, the coastal cities along the Adriatic, Sweden (been to Finland and Norway) and Japan.  Love history and older civilizations (standing on Hadrian's Wall  was incredible).

[PVE]
Members
6,898 posts
22,643 battles
11 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

I'm gonna have to go w/the everywhere group...but...

"If I could"...I'd have to include the space as 1 of the destinations.

The space station would be a cool stop while out there but wouldn't mind exploring the moon also.

Not really interested in the long flight to Mars but at the same time I wouldn't mind feeding some of the creatures hypothesized (if any in fact actually exist) in 2010 on (I think it was) Io ...the (ice covered) moon of Saturn.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[ALLY]
Members
331 posts
19,408 battles

I was in the AF for over 22 years.  I have been all over Europe (Even went to the Pink Floyd Concert in East Berlin when the wall was being torn down), A very small part of North Africa, All over North, South, and Central America.  I have also seen more of the desert in the Middle East then I ever want to see again (I have some very bad memories that I do not need help in remembering).  The one place that I have never been is the Pacific (Yes I have been to Alaska and I know it borders the Pacific, but it is definitely not tropical).  Hawaii, Australia, Japan, Thailand, even Vietnam (My uncle fought there during the war) would be where I would like to go someday.  I am sure there are other places like the Philippines, Singapore, Korea the list could continue that I would enjoy also.

C130 signing out