You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheBishop

BB 2ndaries

32 comments in this topic

[TKOV]
Members
232 posts

which BB has the best 2ndaries?  any thing better than the german t10?  already got that.  add in all signals.

REALLY love to brawl.  best BB for doing that?  again, add in signals, camo, etc.

• Confused 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,714 posts
19,912 battles

Massa arguably has the best secondaries, but is less suited for brawling because of its slow speed and armor scheme. The best overall brawling package is Tirpitz because of German secondaries, armor scheme that works better the closer you get, good speed and torpedoes.

But purely based on secondaries alone I think you'd be looking at Massa, Georgia or Ohio. They just have different drawbacks that makes them a bit less suited for in-your-face brawling.

• Cool 2

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,441 posts
4,198 battles

Ohio, Georgia, and Massachusetts. Improved accuracy, high ROF, lots of them. Lacking a bit of pen, but still hella scary.

Brawling is a bit different, Mass and GA can do it mostly due to fast reloading heal. But something like Pommern has torps and turtleback in addition to good secondaries which makes it very hard to beat in a brawl. Tirpitz for the same reason. If I had to pick a brawler it would be Pommern, with Tirpitz second.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,714 posts
19,912 battles

Right, Pommern exists. Thanks for reminding me, @AJTP89, she'd be my first choice too.

• Cool 2

[PISD]
Members
1,531 posts
5,736 battles

Outside of the Germans and the US, some French ships can do good brawler. Yes, Alsace and Gascogne lack in penetration but their fire rate and fire chance still make them fun to use, while Republique offer a better package in that regard. Tho, they are tricky to use as brawler: their cheese armor is good to protect the citadel, but melt under fire like, well, cheese.

Shikishima is also an other interesting choice. With 11.64 km range and 30mm base pen on its 100 mm, she can be fun to play that way (tho you need to hide her cheek)

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,714 posts
19,912 battles
9 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

Yes, Alsace and Gascogne lack in penetration

At knife fighting ranges they have enough pen though.

[PISD]
Members
1,531 posts
5,736 battles
Just now, Lert said:

At knife fighting ranges they have enough pen though.

well thew 100mm only have 17mm base pen, they fail to pen almost anything tier 8 or higher, outside maybe of some DD superstructure. They will start fire tho.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,714 posts
19,912 battles
1 minute ago, Y_Nagato said:

well thew 100mm only have 17mm base pen

Right, the secondaries. Sorry, thought you meant the main guns.

[PISD]
Members
1,531 posts
5,736 battles
4 minutes ago, Lert said:

Right, the secondaries. Sorry, thought you meant the main guns.

Oh, French main gun have great penetration and, probably some of the best for 15'' guns. Their issue is.... well.... they drink too much wine.

• Cool 1

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,176 posts
5,476 battles

Best secondary armament in the game is Shikishima. Havent done the math, but I'm fairly certain she takes the cake in DPM... however she is a terrible brawler. 

If you've done the Germans, check out the American premiums. Massachusetts at 8, Georgia at 9, and Ohio at 10. I think they all jave 127mms and no quarter pen, so you lose a lot of raw damage from BBs, but they have better accuracy which helps for DDs. 

France is mediocre at best for secondaries. Not advisable

Edited by _BBaby

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,079 posts
15,102 battles

I would take Trip over Pom... I just find my Pom to be a bit squishier than the Trip.  I do like my French BBs w Secondaries though...better than I like GA or Ohio.  Not saying they are better but they just seem better...but the fast reload on her main guns for the Repub really makes her shine.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,276 posts
21,696 battles
1 hour ago, TheBishop said:

which BB has the best 2ndaries?  any thing better than the german t10?  already got that.  add in all signals.

REALLY love to brawl.  best BB for doing that?  again, add in signals, camo, etc.

Pommern,  Republique,  Bourgogne, Alsace, Mass, Ohio, Georgia and Shikka....

[UAA]
Members
91 posts
6,341 battles

For tier X, the only alternative as a secondary brawler would be Ohio. Other BBs with notable secondaries have very different playstyles that don't really encourage brawling.

• République has the best secondary range (8 km base), DPM (bow-in) and firestarting chance, but the ship is tailored to perform as a flanker/roamer. The ship lacks armor to survive against moderate HE spam.
  • Shikishima has improved penetration (30mm), higher DPM and decent hit frequency even without ManSec due to the sheer volume of fire, but the ship is tailored to perform as a sniper. Citadel shape, slow turret traverse and IJN dispersion formula discourage close range engagements.
  • Ohio has improved accuracy, better rate of fire (3.5s reload instead of Montana's 4s) and can slot Secondary Battery Modification 1 on slot 3 without accuracy issues on the main battery, as the Americans have their accuracy module at slot 6 instead. The ship is a jack-of-all-trades, she can brawl reasonably well if the situations comes to it, but won't excel at that as the Germans or Russians do.

[PISD]
Members
1,531 posts
5,736 battles
5 minutes ago, Featherdustr said:

Odin is overlooked, it's a tirp with hydro ... I enjoy that boat ... 

And better armor, but tier 5 level of healt.

[WOLF9]
Members
916 posts
20,959 battles

I love brawling and I love secondaries, so I have a good collection going ....

KM - GK, FDG, Bismarck, Tirpitz, Pommern, Odin, Gnes and Scharn.

US - Georgia, Mass - working on the Ohio.

French - 'semi - brawlers' - I haven't built them to full Secondary specs, but I like their secondaries for fires / fire damage.  Actually, I prefer the Richy, Alsace, and JB in this class.  The Repub is a survivor build right now.

Members
869 posts
1,266 battles

Anything else German, IJN Mikasa, USS South Carolina

For South Carolina:

• Expert Loader, Preventative Maintenance, Adrenaline Rush, Vigilance for capt skills
  • Sierra Mike, Mike Yankee Soxisix, India Delta for flags.
  • Add a camo that increases dispersion of guns firing at you. Personally I like WoWs Anniversary, but Type 3 & 59 do it too.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,194 posts
12,101 battles

The 'standard' brawlers are -

• Anything German
  • Yamato/Musahi (they roughly match Germany in range)
  • Some USN BB's
  • Warspite

Untraditional, you have French, they kind of lack armour - but you can still brawl in them.

Then you have ships for madmen like me which is 'if it has secondary's of 5 km or more, I can brawl in it'. 

[K0]
Members
208 posts
4,722 battles

40 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

The 'standard' brawlers are -

• Anything German
  • Yamato/Musahi (they roughly match Germany in range)
  • Some USN BB's
  • Warspite

I havnt played Warspite as a secondary spec? Does her  T6 secondary dispersion really make it worthwhile vs a survivability build? Anyone have an opinion of this?

[A-I-M]
Members
3,556 posts
23,348 battles

I dont understand equating good secondaries with brawling ability. Torpedoes, main armament pen and rotation, armor and speed of heal would seem to all be more important than secondary guns. 

[A-I-M]
Members
3,556 posts
23,348 battles
3 minutes ago, Barazzuolio said:

I havnt played Warspite as a secondary spec? Does her  T6 secondary dispersion really make it worthwhile vs a survivability build? Anyone have an opinion of this?

I had Warspite FULL secondary spec at one time. It was a DD lawnmower at tier, but I think it underperformed overall compared to the semi-survival build I use now. 

• Cool 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,412 posts
4,984 battles

In secondaries, I reach for the Pommern first.

Some of the French warships if properly built and close enough are a problem. The German Tripitz earns grudging respect on her secondaries. Gneisau is really something if you allowed her to get inside your antique shop. Odin is another, but I suspect that the devs gave her overall HP total less than what she really deserves. Armor is good but not Pommern good.

Pommern can get destroyed in certain situations but if you get in close enough and mind your secondaries while they go to work... it usually but not always clears the situation out. Torps are the final word on arguments if there is room to use them.

It takes time to knife fight a BB. It does not go well some of the time. For that I would want either the Repub or the Ohio/Conq etc. But Pommern again would be my first draw. With engine power module so she does not fall down on her face when the rudder is all the way over. (That also exposes the belt above the water making for those who can get to it with AP a chance...)

The American Battlewagons are a PITA but they are not that great in Secondary with the exception of maybe the mass and NC. If you had Atlanta level shooting on the IOWA secondaries she would need like a herd of ships to be destroyed. But suspect her secondaries are nerfed a bit much.

There may be other warships but in sticking on secondaries none of them would stand out. Keep in mind I spend alot of time inside their secondary area trying to delete them with torps when they finally finish reloading.

Edited by xHeavy