You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Pirate_Named_Sue

So Match Making ...

10 comments in this topic

[VORTX]
Members
411 posts
6,289 battles

Alright, alright, alright. Yes, I realize that eventually you get to an average that reflects your talents as a player and other numbers are more important than wins rate and really streaks are just annoying, but ... 

Yet, here we are. Another MM thread. I am not here to say its rigged or is completely bogus or whatever, but there is something about it thats wrong. For me, It has to the do with the streaks. It is rare when I have a day that is 50/50 or remotely close to it. Its usually 80/20 one way or the other. Today for example, we are at 7 straight losses. Not quite a record for me, I want to say 12 is the record. MM wins seem to flux hot and cold, never warm or cool. It is ONE OR THE OTHER. Maybe its just me, but  my stats for the last couple of weeks are attached as evidence. Of course, this isn't broken down into daily unfortunately so you don't get the real day to day picture and the timing breakdown of it is ... odd. It is what it is. When you flip a coin, the odds are 50% every flip. Eventually its going to go on streaks one way or the other; but how often does it do that, and for long are they usually? Add in the randomness of good players mixed with poor and many that don't give a rats tail? Is that all this is? It's still frustrating. 

I have days I play poorly, and days I play well. Today I played decent. Im 5/7 games I was top three. 6/7 were blow outs (half the enemy team is still alive, I'd call that a blowout). Two games I whiffed on, admitingly positioning poorly in one and completely screwing the pooch on the second. 

Playing well, is fun. Winning is fun. Playing consistently decent and losing time and time again in a row, in blow outs, is deflating (at the least). Winning game after game in a row is great, but it really does make you wonder ... 

How do other players feel? Are you finding yourself in streaks constantly one way or the other? Or does the win/loss rate actually feel balanced? Are there steps WG should (or even can) take to make the MM feel better balanced? 

Anyways, break time for a bit and we'll come back and play some more later if I have time; maybe score that elusive win for the 50% win bonus carrot. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 1.01.41 PM.png

• Meh 1

[BOTO]
Members
1,358 posts
16,577 battles
14 minutes ago, Pirate_Named_Bob said:

Alright, alright, alright. Yes, I realize that eventually you get to an average that reflects your talents as a player and other numbers are more important than wins rate and really streaks are just annoying, but ... 

Yet, here we are. Another MM thread. I am not here to say its rigged or is completely bogus or whatever, but there is something about it thats wrong. For me, It has to the do with the streaks. It is rare when I have a day that is 50/50 or remotely close to it. Its usually 80/20 one way or the other. Today for example, we are at 7 straight losses. Not quite a record for me, I want to say 12 is the record. MM wins seem to flux hot and cold, never warm or cool. It is ONE OR THE OTHER. Maybe its just me, but  my stats for the last couple of weeks are attached as evidence. Of course, this isn't broken down into daily unfortunately so you don't get the real day to day picture and the timing breakdown of it is ... odd. It is what it is. When you flip a coin, the odds are 50% every flip. Eventually its going to go on streaks one way or the other; but how often does it do that, and for long are they usually? Add in the randomness of good players mixed with poor and many that don't give a rats tail? Is that all this is? It's still frustrating. 

I have days I play poorly, and days I play well. Today I played decent. Im 5/7 games I was top three. 6/7 were blow outs (half the enemy team is still alive, I'd call that a blowout). Two games I whiffed on, admitingly positioning poorly in one and completely screwing the pooch on the second. 

Playing well, is fun. Winning is fun. Playing consistently decent and losing time and time again in a row, in blow outs, is deflating (at the least). Winning game after game in a row is great, but it really does make you wonder ... 

How do other players feel? Are you finding yourself in streaks constantly one way or the other? Or does the win/loss rate actually feel balanced? Are there steps WG should (or even can) take to make the MM feel better balanced? 

Anyways, break time for a bit and we'll come back and play some more later if I have time; maybe score that elusive win for the 50% win bonus carrot. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 1.01.41 PM.png

You need to look long term.  Your WR has improved 4% in the past 6 months so you're obviously getting more winning streaks than losing streaks.  As you improve as a player you'll more than likely see fewer streaks.

[VORTX]
Members
411 posts
6,289 battles
33 minutes ago, Lert said:

Ahh this is great. I’m curious to view a further breakdown and view the frequency of them. I’m sure the results would correlate positively with what we see in WOWS. It just always feel like you are at the crest or the base of the wave with very little in betweens.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,705 posts
19,894 battles
Just now, Pirate_Named_Bob said:

Ahh this is great. I’m curious to view a further breakdown and view the frequency of them. I’m sure the results would correlate positively with what we see in WOWS. It just always feel like you are at the crest or the base of the wave with very little in betweens.

Unfortunately taking into account teams would require a lot more in depth programming than I can reasonably bother my friend for, but I still think that linked thread serves as a decent example of what can be expected. I hope it helped.

[VORTX]
Members
411 posts
6,289 battles
49 minutes ago, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

You need to look long term.  Your WR has improved 4% in the past 6 months so you're obviously getting more winning streaks than losing streaks.  As you improve as a player you'll more than likely see fewer streaks.

I don’t want this post to be about my personal stats. I’m a reasonable player and am aware of that, as long as I know when to switch to coop after too many beers! I provided them simply to demonstrate the streaks going one way or the other. You’re either great or you’re sh*t isn’t a satisfying way to be. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,164 posts
14,749 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

This, some days you are the club and some days you are the seal. Roll with it and play the best you can no matter what is happening.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
1 hour ago, Pirate_Named_Bob said:

It has to the do with the streaks.

This is a random scatter of dots generated in Excel. See any "streaks"?

IkJrjoKmGSPJxPr2OI3NvjS2uYo2Y2jn06_0ANuC

You are going to encounter winning and losing streaks randomly if you play at an average level. That said, if you are consistently winning or losing more games than average then it's probably you that's influencing the outcome if you don't, say, division regularly with a "potato" or a "unicum." The ship you play also is definitely a factor. I know that I tend to win more games with certain ships because I simply play better with them than I do with others. If you see me in my Massachusetts, you can pretty much figure that you have a good chance of winning. Conversely, if you see me in my Minotaur then good luck as you're gonna need it. 

[TRU]
Members
696 posts
20,151 battles

I feel your pain OP.   I was on fire a couple days ago but yesterday nothing worked.  Games were over very quickly.

Biggest letdown is when you see all 3 of your DDs yolo into radar.  In one game, our CV was the first one to die.  When asked why he/she moved his ship so far to the front, they typed "secondaries lol."   

[WORX]
Members
11,442 posts
19,183 battles
2 hours ago, Pirate_Named_Bob said:

For me, It has to the do with the streaks

If you dont like streaks, then WOWS is not the game for you... The games format is what and objective.

• Its12 vs 12
  • For every winner someone has to lose
  • for every lose, someone has to win

But if you pay attention, this situation is not new... Its in

• Cricket
  • Futball
  • Baseball
  • Football
  • Tennis

Again MM is the scapegoat is this equation, the danm thing takes all the blame... What I pointed out, its not MM fault.. But yet, people bash the MM as if its doing this on purpose. As you can see, MM did not blame for your streaks.