You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MannyD_of_The_Sea

My Final Thoughts on Kansas

9 comments in this topic

[A-I-M]
Members
3,413 posts
14,089 battles

Final, as in having finished grinding it out (176,000 XP, should be enough when Minnesota is freed from quarantine).

16 random battles (yes, many flags and many Stars & Stripes camos) and one shakedown Co-op. 62.5% winrate in it

Did I like playing it? Generally, yes. I think that was due to being on good teams more often than bad teams, in my small set of 16 battles played.

Was it fun to play? If the team around and in front of you were good, it could be fun to play. If your supporting cast was bad, you couldn’t do a thing to help the outcome.

Was it a good or a bad ship? Neither, really, it is an amorphous ship, dependent upon those around you. I finished on top of the scoarboard in Kansas much more than I do in other ships, but I feel like the ship was inconsquential in every battle.

I was top of the board with three kills in my final battle last night with a first blood that turned a flank - a half health Atlanta... but it was half-health in open water, meaning that another player or players flushed it out of its spot, and put it within 12km of me for finishing.

I had a Kraken in another battle, mostly mopping up on low-health targets, and having the good fortune that my guns were loaded at the right time. The sole exception was a New Orleans that gave me broadside at 9km. I gave him a hearty b!tch-slapping. But, if all a battleship does well is smack down lower-tier cruisers that make obvious mistakes, how well are you really doing?

I just never felt that the ship was impactful in any battle, despite my ranking on any battle result or overall stats in the ship.

Speed was a factor. In one bitter loss, the greens on my flank beat back the reds so badly I couldn’t keep up. I saw our other flank meeting stiff resistance and moved to help. I got in range about the time our last ship on that flank died, and I was detected. I was on a dead run, away, until I dropped the “run” part and was left with only the “dead” part.

Slow reload. Inconsistency of the guns. Inconsistency of the shells. Poor protection. All these things added up to an overall “meh-ness” to the ship.

That’s it! The game and most ships have their “meta.” Kansas has its “meh-ta.”

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea
Typos
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles

Your better off faildivving Colorados into T8 then taking a Kansas.

Kansas is genuinely worse then most T7 battleships, with DPM almost equal to the Colorado with far worse accuracy.

Gladly happy to be at 180k Exp in Kansas after 30+ games, means I can research mini-soda and FXP to Vermont.

• Boring 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,861 posts
26,403 battles

Agree with the extreme ‘meh-ness’ of Kansas.

Of the 10 games I’ve played so far, 5 PvP, 5 PvE, one was ‘exceptional.’ A 143k damage game in Co-op, mostly because all the greens died so fast, there was plenty of things to shoot when I finally ‘got there.’

The other Co-ops were mostly wasted effort trying to catch the fight, and the Randoms basically similar except for occasionally being the guest of honor at a BBq.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,277 posts
12,148 battles

my final thoughts for Kansas are as follows

"At least its not Oklahoma"

• Haha 1

[REKTD]
Members
309 posts
10,135 battles

I like the tackiness (Tankiness...I would blame “Stupid Apple”...but tankiness is a WoWS thing...) of it, but also the massive range. It allows for a mix playing back at first then charging in if needed. I’ve been able to somehow balance this correctly in most of my matches, making for very fun and close matches.

Lack of speed does hold KS back but I am pretty happy with her. It is a wide ship, looks cool.

Edited by SuperComm4
Auto-correct
  • Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts
3 minutes ago, SuperComm4 said:

I like the tackiness of it, but also the massive range. It allows for a mix playing back at first then charging in if needed. I’ve been able to somehow balance this correctly in most of my matches, making for very fun and close matches.

Lack of speed does hold KS back but I am pretty happy with her. It is a wide ship, looks cool.

Charging in? 20 knots? Lol. No.

You mistook Kansas for Bismark my friend.

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 1

[REKTD]
Members
309 posts
10,135 battles
4 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Charging in? 20 knots? Lol. No.

You mistook Kansas for Bismark my friend.

An excellent catch! There is no “charging”; one must guess in advance where the push will happen! 
Realistically I’ve found that the gun bloom initially draws a lot of fire, and they usually miss due to me being so slow. This encourages other BBs to push, and so I join, in third place naturally...but I can then go broadside as the other BBs start to get targeted. I’ve not really been beat using this tactic, and the charging BBs always survive. My losses were all where the other BBs peeled off and expected KS to lead the charge...

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts
8 minutes ago, SuperComm4 said:

An excellent catch! There is no “charging”; one must guess in advance where the push will happen! 
Realistically I’ve found that the gun bloom initially draws a lot of fire, and they usually miss due to me being so slow. This encourages other BBs to push, and so I join, in third place naturally...but I can then go broadside as the other BBs start to get targeted. I’ve not really been beat using this tactic, and the charging BBs always survive. My losses were all where the other BBs peeled off and expected KS to lead the charge...

my strat has been full speed at beginning until red ships are spotted. Depending on what's been found I continue forward or begin turning sideways. I'll wait until enemy within 15km and/ or broadside before shooting with all 12. Then I'll either straighten out forward or finish my turn about as fast as I can anticipating return fire. I'll be dark again before reloaded so I can hopefully get all 12 back on target with another salvo. Rinse and repeat. I don't trust the armor enough to push very hard. However, I have found that with 14km buffer, engine power upgrade and liberal use of the WASD keys, the Kansas can be a tricky kiter while waiting for help to arrive. In some ways it's like playing a Japanese Cruiser minus the speed, concealment and fun.

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[APEZ]
Members
2,516 posts
8,815 battles
3 hours ago, Akeno017 said:

Your better off faildivving Colorados into T8 then taking a Kansas.

Kansas is genuinely worse then most T7 battleships, with DPM almost equal to the Colorado with far worse accuracy.

Gladly happy to be at 180k Exp in Kansas after 30+ games, means I can research mini-soda and FXP to Vermont.

Have you run the numbers on Colorado vs Kansas,  I suspect you are correct