Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Chumbucket

Splash screen ship

22 comments in this topic

[EXPN]
Beta Testers
55 posts
4,499 battles

Does anyone know what ship is on the launch screen when you start the game now? I thought it might be the Bogatyr, but it doesn't have the same turrets? Any one know?:fish_viking:

Members
59 posts
1,696 battles

this one? I think it's the Aurora

20201007160029_1.jpg

Edit: the reason I have an old screenshot of it is because I was wondering what the heck this ship was at one point too and took one to ask about it (not here though)

Edited by Skipper30087

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,212 posts
22,502 battles

Do you happen to have a screenshot? I know the splash screen you mean but it doesn't appear every time and I can't quite remember the details very well. Definitely a Russian protected cruiser.

<Edit> Someone posted a screenshot as I was typing. Sure does look like Aurora. I put a black camo on mine to compare

G5iZ8d1.jpg

Details are easier to see with a white camo and from the opposite angle:

xKS1Bsd.jpg

Edited by Lert

[SR-_-]
Members
5,018 posts
46,796 battles
16 minutes ago, Chumbucket said:

Does anyone know what ship is on the launch screen when you start the game now? I thought it might be the Bogatyr, but it doesn't have the same turrets? Any one know?:fish_viking:

Aurora.

[EXPN]
Beta Testers
55 posts
4,499 battles

YES! this bad boy! the Aurora? that looks like a Russian crest on the Bow!   This boat looks SAVAGE!!

20201007160029_1.jpg

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,212 posts
22,502 battles
1 minute ago, Chumbucket said:

YES! this bad boy! the Aurora? that looks like a Russian crest on the Bow!   This boat looks SAVAGE!!

Russian protected cruisers just have a savage, no nonsense look to them, I love them. Game play wise Aurora is - ... not a bad ship per se, but nothing special. Functional, but I think St Louis and 130mm Bogatyr are better ships.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,716 posts
13,410 battles

Both Aurora and Diana show up in one of the intros, with both of them in a black paint job (and both are probably supposed to represent Aurora). All 3 ships of the class fought in the Russo-Japanese War, but only Aurora was at Tsushima and still survives to this day.

Mikasa shows up in the same intro, and is likewise still around.

The difference between the two is, Aurora in game has gun shields (Which were added post Tsushima) and Diana lacks them (matching the classes appearance during the Russo-Japanese War).

The lead ship, (or second ship depending on which nations convention you're following) Pallada hasn't made an appearance in game yet.

[EXPN]
Beta Testers
55 posts
4,499 battles

actually,  I saw one that is black, and look just like that screen shot, but has big 2 barrel turrets

[O_O]
Members
7,158 posts
18,012 battles

One is Diana.  The other is Mikasa.  We hashed this out here on the forum several weeks ago.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,212 posts
22,502 battles
4 minutes ago, Chumbucket said:

actually,  I saw one that is black, and look just like that screen shot, but has big 2 barrel turrets

Oleg, a 152mm Bogatyr, is a T3 premium with a black permacamo.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,212 posts
22,502 battles
12 minutes ago, Chumbucket said:

20201007160029_1.jpg

On second thought, the superstructure behind the gun looks a lot more like Diana:

xCzxeuE.jpg

But the gun doesn't have a gun shield, but that was mentioned by @SgtBeltfed

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,716 posts
13,410 battles
5 minutes ago, Chumbucket said:

The one with big two barreled turrets is Mikasa (also in an all black paint job), and she's apparently shooting it out with Diana (or Aurora depending on which scene you're looking at)

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,212 posts
22,502 battles
3 minutes ago, Chumbucket said:

MIKASA! 

Mikasa, in game with standard permacamo:

IAMpJo8.jpg

[TFFOX]
Members
1,130 posts
4,329 battles
13 minutes ago, Chumbucket said:

you have a chance of obtaining her out of "Junior Recruiting station containers" which can be purchased in the recruiting station for 500 recruitment points

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
4,013 posts

The Aurora is a credible warship for her time. She I would imagine would have been quite the gorilla in the saloon fight in her day.

Thats one of the reasons the new UK Dreadnought when built instantly made Aurora and all other armored warships before obsolete. And it was not long before the design was improved on.

The Japanese was the superior force at Russo-Japanese war. The Russian Fleet had to coal, essentially a quest of coal for 6 months around the world to fight near Japan at sea.

It would not be the only epic water journey to war. The USS Oregon BB was in the Pacific when the war orders came. She painted to slate grey in a day for warpaint, coaled and then proceeded on 14000 mile run while looking for more coal coming up from the South Atlantic with several destinations to be determined. At one point the Oregon's engineer though to see maybe they can use seawater as the feed stock for her boilers but the Captain knew there will be a fight decided to just keep the distilled fresh water going through the boilers to keep them sharp for the upcoming battle. The Oregon held other records as well in her Service history.

My expertise in interests came from Steam Locomotives as used in railroads and in mills etc prior to that. And to feed a boiler with water and coal and drive it 60 miles requires tons and tons of everything, particularly lube oil and other things. I cannot wrap my head around what the Oregon must have gone through to run 14000 miles, what with all that ash and so on to be disposed of regularly.

The WG needs to bring back the black camo as a option for all ships. I used it one winter quite a bit and in battle made a difference in storms with that matte dull non reflected covering. Not to mention making certain ships look sinister.

Edited by xHeavy

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,716 posts
13,410 battles
39 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

The Aurora is a credible warship for her time. She I would imagine would have been quite the gorilla in the saloon fight in her day.

Thats one of the reasons the new UK Dreadnought when built instantly made Aurora and all other armored warships before obsolete. And it was not long before the design was improved on.

The Japanese was the superior force at Russo-Japanese war. The Russian Fleet had to coal, essentially a quest of coal for 6 months around the world to fight near Japan at sea.

It would not be the only epic water journey to war. The USS Oregon BB was in the Pacific when the war orders came. She painted to slate grey in a day for warpaint, coaled and then proceeded on 14000 mile run while looking for more coal coming up from the South Atlantic with several destinations to be determined. At one point the Oregon's engineer though to see maybe they can use seawater as the feed stock for her boilers but the Captain knew there will be a fight decided to just keep the distilled fresh water going through the boilers to keep them sharp for the upcoming battle. The Oregon held other records as well in her Service history.

My expertise in interests came from Steam Locomotives as used in railroads and in mills etc prior to that. And to feed a boiler with water and coal and drive it 60 miles requires tons and tons of everything, particularly lube oil and other things. I cannot wrap my head around what the Oregon must have gone through to run 14000 miles, what with all that ash and so on to be disposed of regularly.

The WG needs to bring back the black camo as a option for all ships. I used it one winter quite a bit and in battle made a difference in storms with that matte dull non reflected covering. Not to mention making certain ships look sinister.

Aurora isn't an armored cruiser. She's a protected cruiser, which in layman's terms is just a general purpose cruiser. She personally was made obsolete simply by newer, bigger, faster, better armed and protected cruisers. Nothing to do with HMS Dreadnought there.

HMS Dreadnought obsoleted the mixed battery battleships we now call pre-dreadnoughts.

HMS Invincible (the first battlecruiser) did the same to armored cruisers (look at SMS Blücher to see what happened there)

[-K_P-]
Members
446 posts
3,903 battles
2 hours ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Mikasa shows up in the same intro, and is likewise still around.

Well half of her is, she is solid concrete below the waterline..:fish_book:

2 hours ago, xHeavy said:

Ash would have been sent up the coal hoists to be tossed overboard from the gun deck.  Easier than when they were transferring enough coal onto the ship for that distance, at least they didn't need to find a place to store the ash. (comment based on visit to the USS Olympia, assuming USS Oregon had similar systems)

Edited by Crij

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,716 posts
13,410 battles
6 minutes ago, Crij said:

Well half of her is, she is solid concrete below the waterline..:fish_book:

Aurora isn't much different, she's rebuilt from the waterline down.

[-K_P-]
Members
446 posts
3,903 battles
23 hours ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Aurora isn't much different, she's rebuilt from the waterline down.

Major difference, Aurora is floating, Mikasa was moved ashore and everything below the waterline was scrapped, so now the park around her hull is the old water level.

mikasa-battleship-2.jpg

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,716 posts
13,410 battles
1 hour ago, Crij said:

Major difference, Aurora is floating, Mikasa was moved ashore and everything below the waterline was scrapped, so now the park around her hull is the old water level.

mikasa-battleship-2.jpg

Not really, in both cases, all that's remotely original is above the waterline. Mikasa because that's all there is, and Aurora is a modern barge from the waterline down.

Sign in to follow this