Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Landtuber

Glass Cannons (Myoko, Mogami) - am I a bad player for not getting into caps?

14 comments in this topic

[SCSA]
Members
26 posts
2,203 battles

I've been having a blast playing the IJN T7 and T8 cruisers, but I've learned that angles and some distance are critical as they are very fragile.  However, while I often am doing twice my HP in damage done, I'm rarely able to help cap as there are 2-4 BB's out back blasting away 8-10km from the cap. 

I know Random battle are, well, random, but is it overall better to play a cruiser that can get a bit more up close and personal for my teams sake?  Trying to balance having a good time in game versus helping my team out as best I can.

Members
141 posts
8,949 battles
2 minutes ago, Landtuber said:

I've learned that angles and some distance are critical as they are very fragile

That is what the Jap CAs are, it is a long range sniper, with good concealment. Use torps often to deter enemy.

When you had bad time, you met opponent who knew that fact.

[1CVDV]
Members
226 posts
11,715 battles

jap cruisers,however good they may be a still squishy boats with minimal armor.think of them this way:the longer they are in the game the stronger they become.if a cap has island cover try to contest/take it.open water caps are a bit trickier,use mm to determine the danger and use your best judgement to determine if its worth it.remember:i dead ship does nothing!

[HMCSH]
Beta Testers
1,618 posts
20,808 battles

Yeah......not sure why someone would call these two ships  "long range". Your biggest assets are stealth and the ability to burn, burn, burn! Kiting and juking are must have skills and once attained the risk reward values go up.

• Cool 2

[SCSA]
Members
26 posts
2,203 battles
3 minutes ago, Saxon29 said:

open water caps are a bit trickier,use mm to determine the danger and use your best judgement to determine if its worth it

Can you please explain MM?  One of the captain skills for who is targeting you, incoming fire or locate the nearest ship?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,712 posts
19,894 battles

Something that visible and soft should not be capping until later in the match when there are caps of opportunity you can take at less risk than early in the match when everyone is paying attention to the caps.

16 minutes ago, Landtuber said:

Can you please explain MM?  One of the captain skills for who is targeting you, incoming fire or locate the nearest ship?

Matchmaking. Look at the enemy team list, look at their positioning on the map, make your judgment from there.

[SCSA]
Members
26 posts
2,203 battles

Ah - thank you!  I thought I was missing an acronym for a certain skill that was necessary.

So far the replies are all the same - play to the boats strengths and don't cap early.  That is reassuring to know I haven't been doing it wrong, thank you!  I'll ignore the comments in randoms about "get in there" then if there is too much heat on the cap early on.

[GOCRY]
Members
639 posts

Chances are that you know how to play your ship better than someone else in chat.  Last Saturday, I was in my Jervis, and had a Belfast tell me that I needed to get into the cap.  I politely refused, as the Reds had an Atlanta, and I didn't know where he was.  The Belfast decided that he needed to cap instead, and, surprise, surprise, the Atlanta showed up and he got blapped by two Colorados.  I'm not positive that the Atanta radared the Befast in his smoke, but it's the most likely explanation.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,087 posts
17,146 battles
1 hour ago, Landtuber said:

I've been having a blast playing the IJN T7 and T8 cruisers, but I've learned that angles and some distance are critical as they are very fragile.  However, while I often am doing twice my HP in damage done, I'm rarely able to help cap as there are 2-4 BB's out back blasting away 8-10km from the cap. 

I know Random battle are, well, random, but is it overall better to play a cruiser that can get a bit more up close and personal for my teams sake?  Trying to balance having a good time in game versus helping my team out as best I can.

No that is fine. They certainly can cap but that is more of a late game activity for them.

Members
3,420 posts
40,821 battles

If you can determine which ships are entering a cap based on heading and you have yet to fire the guns but the torps would hit that entry point now based on the future, then fire the torps into that projected path to "seal the corner". They can't see you yet, so break off, open fire kiting away, and watch the magic happen.

If a team presumes you are too far to fire torps in the kited position at your max gun range, then they will push right into the torps you fired into the projected path, without firing up hydro.

Because your gun range is farther than torp range. They will guess wrong that you didn't use torps, used them at that range and they will despawn by the time they reach, or you fired them in the wrong direction based on the kited position.

They will all huddle in to the kill zone. When they do realize what has happened, you have already fired your next set undetected in a wide pattern to spray the whole cap. Because the initial hits will throw them in to confusion. They will scatter based on team mates firing on them and your wide spread clips them to pieces causing floods.

Yes, I think like that. 😏

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,232 posts
24,629 battles

IJN Cruisers are not Capping Cruisers.  They're intended for medium range and for Zao in Tier X, long range combat.

Several reasons why IJN Cruisers should not be up front with the Radar Cruisers and Destroyers at or near the cap:

1.  They all have very long hulls with just as long, exposed Citadels.

2.  Their turret traverse tend to be on the lackluster side.  It takes them longer to react to a sudden emergency.

3.  With the bad turret traverse, you will be tempted to turn and use the hull to speed up the process of swinging your guns to fire at the target.  Doing so may expose your Citadel.

Even with very sneaky Zao in Tier X, the idea of trying to creep with the DDs and Radar Cruisers near the caps is horrifying.  Minotaur is even Stealthier than Zao, and the idea of capping with even her is scary.  Cruisers in a cap and making a mistake, or spotted by the enemy and getting focused down will end in disastrous results.

IMO, generally for a Cruiser, the closer you are to the enemy, the less options you have.

IJN Cruisers excel as medium (long range for Zao) skirmishers, especially on the Kite.  Remove them from those duties and you start getting into very sketchy situations where they're not as good in.  For me, they are not high match impact ships like a Radar Cruiser trying to swing games.  You are a Damage Farmer.  Trying to play up close like a Radar Cruiser Baltimore, Des Moines with an IJN Cruiser is a bad idea.  Bad things will happen and your Damage Farming will come to an abrupt end.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

Those cruisers at that tier are def NOT cap'ers. No heal, no armor, 16" guns more common...

They have good enough concealment to break contact most of the time but any closer than 11-12km to enemy cruisers or BB is asking to have your ticket punched.

They specialize as flankers and harrassers and excell at burning things down. They can serve as decent DD hunters (especially one of the countless dumb ones) with proper capt skills.

If I had to cap it would only be once I was sure the cap was clear of enemy guns 180mm+ and battleships were all preoccupied with targets on other flank.

Edited by thebigblue

[WOLF3]
Members
390 posts
10,749 battles

No, you are not doing anything wrong by not caping. Your best postions are with your detection just outside the red dds that are capping so you can get shots then go dark.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,232 posts
24,629 battles

Even for Myoko in Tier VII, she's not that stealthy.  The firepower in Tier VII alone is something to be scared of already, never mind Tier VIII-IX ships that are looking for fresh meat.  So hanging around in an IJN Cruiser at ranges where you're going to be easier to hit is just a bad idea.

You have a LONG HULL.  You are going to be easy to hit if you hang near the caps.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Sign in to follow this