Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SteelRain_Rifleman

my arms hurt, or I can't put ma arms down!

9 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,480
[SR-_-]
Members
5,018 posts
46,903 battles

https://www.healthgrades.com/right-care/bones-joints-and-muscles/when-to-see-a-doctor-for-arm-pain

 

Unless there is an injury that obviously needs a doctor’s care, such as a fracture, some arm pain can be managed at home. Pain caused by repetitive use of your arm, such as repeated bending or flexing, will often ease if the activity is stopped. However, the longer you continue the activity, the worse the pain can be and the worse the damage may be to the bone, joint or soft tissue—muscles, ligaments, tendons and bursa.

 

If you have arm pain but no obvious injury that needs emergency care, you should see your doctor as soon as possible if the pain is severe, you have trouble moving and using your arm, or the sensation to your arm, hand or fingers is abnormal.

 

See a Dr.

Now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,284
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,736 posts

As you get older, activities that once were "everyday" can now cause you pain. This is just the way life is. Our bodies are programmed by our DNA to die off after sufficient time has passed to allow for the reproduction and raising of viable offspring. Life doesn't want the old models to stick around too long because they have served their purpose and now are just competing for resources. You don't have to run to a doctor for every little ache and pain. Learn the pain signs of a possible serious illness and learn to deal with the rest. Discussing how to manage chronic pain is too long a topic for a gaming forum but there are many websites that will guide you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,475
[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,801 posts
24,966 battles

I've torn the rotator cuff in both shoulders over the years, gotten the surgery for each, and now have reinjured my right shoulder. Just gotta live with the pain until COVID is done. Actually, I'm procrastinating, not only for COVID, but because the dang physical therapy after the surgery hurts like heck (but it is essential).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,480
[SR-_-]
Members
5,018 posts
46,903 battles
1 hour ago, Khafni said:

I've torn the rotator cuff in both shoulders over the years, gotten the surgery for each, and now have reinjured my right shoulder. Just gotta live with the pain until COVID is done. Actually, I'm procrastinating, not only for COVID, but because the dang physical therapy after the surgery hurts like heck (but it is essential).

I tore my right one a few years back. It's rough recovery.

But I recovered a few months early by doing all the exercises all the time when I had free time.

I even do them today for maintenance.

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,480
[SR-_-]
Members
5,018 posts
46,903 battles
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

As you get older, activities that once were "everyday" can now cause you pain. This is just the way life is. Our bodies are programmed by our DNA to die off after sufficient time has passed to allow for the reproduction and raising of viable offspring. Life doesn't want the old models to stick around too long because they have served their purpose and now are just competing for resources. You don't have to run to a doctor for every little ache and pain. Learn the pain signs of a possible serious illness and learn to deal with the rest. Discussing how to manage chronic pain is too long a topic for a gaming forum but there are many websites that will guide you. 

I must be a supermodel. My old man was 48 when he met my Mom. My sister was born 7 years later as his last child.

Some models are better than others.

I have a slew of injuries, but I manage to get better each time because I hammer that doctor with questions.

I do my research.

I am sharing some today since most people are probably going to be doing activities, but not necessarily have access to a doctor right away.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,475
[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,801 posts
24,966 battles
2 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

I tore my right one a few years back. It's rough recovery.

But I recovered a few months early by doing all the exercises all the time when I had free time.

I even do them today for maintenance.

 

 

My second round of recovery was way faster because I knew and followed the drill. Gotta get that range of motion back, strength will follow.

Edited by Khafni

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,480
[SR-_-]
Members
5,018 posts
46,903 battles
42 minutes ago, Khafni said:

My second round of recovery was way faster because I knew and followed the drill. Gotta get that range of motion back, strength will follow.

Yes. I do all kinds of range of motion. And I managed to avoid damaging the left arm this way.

I am however recovering from bad hands and wrists. I overtorqued them at work and strained them to the point of painful.

I managed to rehab them to manageable level, but the Dr won't let me work 12 hours anymore. Just 8 will be my limit.

I am only being monitored for tingling and numbness in the right hand. Dr thinks possible nerve issues. So he is going to be watching me until next year.

So long as anyone stretches rigorously as often as possible be they young or old, they will reduce or prevent onset of injury.

My biggest issue was work. It's too hot. Can't cool down. Dehydration issues. High humidity. Unable to evaporate perspiration. No matter how much hydration I took, it came out twice as fast.

And my muscles and joints paid for it.

So my Dr, based on what I described as my work environment, limited my exposure to these harsh conditions.

I have yet to return to the work conditions as I was sent to another assignment.

It seems my old job will not accommodate me. They require 12 hours or work somewhere else.

So I am allowed to somewhat see which division will take me.

However, seems like that is not as easy as it seems.

But I am sticking with my Dr recommendation. I am not going to put myself in a bad work environment again.

Once I completely heal. I will be fine. I will only have the back issues, but that again is just avoiding 12 hour shifts.

It seems that 12 hour shifts are not healthy.

I have been working for this company for 14 years and many co-workers left instead of me because of the work conditions. But I guess I was young and adapted better at the time, I just didn't see the danger.

Now I do. And I will always remind others of the danger, and also how to treat the injuries.

I have enough knowledge of injuries that I could probably get a job in sports medicine or be a trainer for some celebrity.

I know pain and how to treat it.  LOL.

I also know how to recognize dangerous situations. It's even better than Spidey sense.

So I urge people to always listen to their bodies. Don't do something that is unsafe. Watch out for potential hazards.

Don't rush.

Work smarter, not harder.

Gravity is not your friend.

Head on a swivel.

Stretch before you work. Stretch after. Stretch before workout. Stretch after.

Hydrate always.

Caffeine is useful, but nobody ever died from B vitamins.

Get some sun. Posture is everything.

Relax. Balance.

It's okay to vent, just do it where nobody sees you. LOL   Trust me, you will feel great.

The only good Dark Side is the one that makes you and everyone else laugh.

Free your mind, but don't close it.

Question everything.

There is always someone more clever than yourself.

Sometimes what is within must be taken outside.

Our biggest fears are taking big steps in directions unknown. But the unknown is where the adventure begins.

I have been Boldly Going since I could walk it seems. But I didn't know how much, until I had sense enough to know what Boldly Going meant.

Now, I do it but I look both ways. LOL 🤣

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,284
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,736 posts
13 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

My biggest issue was work.

Many jobs take a toll on your body. In the past, aging workers were just considered disposable and fired if they couldn't physically do their jobs anymore. Today, there "should" be laws in place to prevent this. You might try to seek legal recourse but then again the odds are generally stacked in favor of the employers, who have the money. Your doctor might be able to help you file a workman's comp claim though. Other than that, all I can say is that it sucks to be in a position where the company you work for can't or won't accommodate an aging employee.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,480
[SR-_-]
Members
5,018 posts
46,903 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Many jobs take a toll on your body. In the past, aging workers were just considered disposable and fired if they couldn't physically do their jobs anymore. Today, there "should" be laws in place to prevent this. You might try to seek legal recourse but then again the odds are generally stacked in favor of the employers, who have the money. Your doctor might be able to help you file a workman's comp claim though. Other than that, all I can say is that it sucks to be in a position where the company you work for can't or won't accommodate an aging employee.  

I am not that old that it is considered age discrimination. It's more about them potentially thinking I am just disposable.

The growing trend in my industry is to hire people who don't know their rights and that means individuals that have a limited educational background.

This gives employers the ability to extend hours without that employee filing a complaint or raising an objection to an unsafe task or environment.

It's straight up exploitation.

I am the rarest of the rare, a smart, educated, technician with industry experience that spans several industries. And I am well familiar with shady and ethical practices. Enough so that I can spot them or mitigate them by reminding my employer of the law.

Employers in this particular industry don't like smart. They want you to look the other way.

It's a business of money. If you cost them money. You are not needed. Even if you have experience that would be extremely valuable in starting and building a plant anywhere in the world.

Because I am ethical. I am fighting a company culture that is over a century old. And you are correct, they do have the government's pocket. You might say that it went both ways this year.

It is a good chance that I will be on top though because some injuries don't look good when you show them to a 6 person jury. Televised.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×