You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

NA players not located in NA

69 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,067 posts

Hi all. 

Playing a bit of 'ships this morning and more than one individual identified they were playing from Asia. Which of course got me wondering "How many NA players are playing from outside NA?" 

I would like to see "official" numbers but of course we won't get any. Seems to me as bad as lag is some days in NA, playing from Asia would tend to really increase that lag or delay. 

Any ideas what percentage of players are from outside the NA region? 

• Meh 2

[ARGSY]
Members
21,615 posts
15,672 battles

Pretty much all of Latin America by definition (unless they're on EU with Spanish or Portuguese speakers to interact with), probably a fair chunk of Australia and New Zealand (because English is the primary language on NA), and likely a few from Europe as well. 

I played from Australia on one occasion - if your timezone and playing opportunities are right, you can potentially get four daily crates in a single session for less than the work of three b/c of the server reset (except you don't get four the very next night). 

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,047 posts
10,782 battles
6 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Hi all. 

Playing a bit of 'ships this morning and more than one individual identified they were playing from Asia. Which of course got me wondering "How many NA players are playing from outside NA?" 

I would like to see "official" numbers but of course we won't get any. Seems to me as bad as lag is some days in NA, playing from Asia would tend to really increase that lag or delay. 

My clan has members from Europe, Australia, and South America, so there are players from all over on the server. At this point, the server someone plays on is more about their ideal prime time than geography.

[-AGW-]
Beta Testers
96 posts
11,922 battles

I migrated back from SEA earlier this year. Started on NA in WOT closed beta, went to SEA when they formed that cluster / server / region and always regretted it. I'm American, living in Japan since the mid '80s.

The pings for me, be they 50 to the old Singapore server or 100 to wherever I'm connecting to in NA make little difference. This isn't COD.

• Cool 1

[IRNBN]
Members
3,691 posts
10,730 battles

One of the things that keeps the community vibrant despite WG's best efforts to drive us off is the trans-national motif seen on the servers.

I have accounts on EU and CIS. I frequently see players from all over the world. It's rather refreshing.

Interesting how the global community manifests itself. My fave YouTuber is an Indonesian dude living in Belgium and plays on NA. Can't get much more global than that. :Smile_glasses:

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1

Members
3,415 posts
40,676 battles

There could be many since the great migration from last year. Mostly from SEA server. 

It's not a bad thing. In the wee hours, it's nice to have folks from down under chuck torpedoes and shells in game.

It's better than having an all bot team.

As for South America, my Spanish is rusty if not terribly non functional. Even if those players say something, I don't have time to google translate it.

To date, I think I was only cursed out by one spanish speaking player.

I am not sure where these players come from that do speak Spanish or Portuguese. And yes, Portuguese is different.

I just know that they play. Sometimes a bit curious about the game. Maybe because they are new to it.

Because the Latin American market in terms of revenue is a trillion dollar industry, I am a bit surprised that WG has not went all in and mobilized a lot of Spanish speaking streamers that appeal to that market.

Maybe it's because I am not aware of it? But maybe WG doesn't have a way to fully understand that just yet. I guess small steps.

I do know exactly what appeals specifically to males of latin america and I am not going to share that with WG. Oddly enough, they have not figured it out yet.

Because if they knew what I know, they could get a huge number of players in a matter of days with just a few things I suggest. In fact, they could get it done before Christmas.

But I won't make it easy for them.

Fix CVs. Then we will talk.🤣

• Funny 2
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 2

Members
3,415 posts
40,676 battles
7 minutes ago, Balon_Greyjoy said:

One of the things that keeps the community vibrant despite WG's best efforts to drive us off is the trans-national motif seen on the servers.

I have accounts on EU and CIS. I frequently see players from all over the world. It's rather refreshing.

Interesting how the global community manifests itself. My fave YouTuber is an Indonesian dude living in Belgium and plays on NA. Can't get much more global than that. :Smile_glasses:

Variety is the spice of Life. He who controls the spice, controls the universe.

• Funny 2

[PDCB]
Members
490 posts
8,775 battles

I don't know the exact numbers but I would guess that between 70-80% of the NA playerbase are from the USA/Canada, followed by Latin America and then players from other regions. We have plenty of players from SEA, who left their own server because the playerbase is very passive there.

[PHD]
Members
192 posts
10,787 battles

Australian here checking in. I play in the NA server because I don't want to play on the SEA server, been there done that with WOT.  I have fibre optic internet so my ping is sub 100.

• Cool 1

[RBMK2]
[RBMK2]
Members
582 posts
12,218 battles

Our sister clan RBMK3 is composed primarily of Aussie, NZ, and Tazmania folk.

Great group.

edit: autocorrect 

Edited by contag10n

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,385 posts
20,933 battles

We are a most spanish speaking clan.

Members are from all america, and even have a couple of US players in rank. Also a couple of spanish infiltrates but we are fond of them :Smile_teethhappy:

[SPTR]
Members
27,186 posts
16,907 battles

Playing on NA from Australia since this Acc was created.

Initially created as my WoT/RL friend had a NA acc too so I could get some help learning that game.

Friend had NA acc despite living in Australia also, because SEA server didn't existed at the time of their acc's creation.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,690 posts
19,844 battles

Netherlands, europe. Playing on NA because many years ago when they were setting up the EU server for Tanks I stayed on the NA server because that's where all my buddies were from and being unemployed at the time the timezone difference didn't bother me.

Members
1,465 posts
7,121 battles

As of late we have been getting a lot of players coming over from the China and Asia servers. Not sure why but, some of their clans are now here. One which was broken up by WG on the SEA server for reasons posted else where. 

Edited by USMC2145

[NSEW]
Members
2,099 posts
11,325 battles

I'm at across the pond (Soon to be leaving the EU place).  NA used to be my prime account, until friends moved onto other game titles.  Then I revisited my many years dormant EU account and played long enough to afford the 10k steel camo (hindsight, never do it).  Doesn't matter which server for me (ping/latency depending) .To me it was all about enjoying the time with friends online.  Chewing the fat, clicking buttons, passin' wind aggressively amongst friends.

[POP]
Members
4,651 posts
12,351 battles

I agree that most of the population is probably US/Canada, followed by South America and then some Australia/NZ and Europe. My clan is mostly US, a handful of Canadians, a few EU people, and a decent sized (but fluctuating) group of Southeast Asian players. 

[CO-OP]
Members
1,741 posts
25,979 battles

Only impact I've noticed is that some of the players from South American countries are victims of crappy internet so may not appear in battle or suddenly disappear.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
377 posts
3,136 battles
2 hours ago, Balon_Greyjoy said:

2 hours ago, Balon_Greyjoy said:

I frequently see players from all over the world. It's rather refreshing

Indeed.  I find it to be refreshing as well.

Members
3,415 posts
40,676 battles

I am from the US, and the State I am from seems foreign to the other 49. Texas.

I  run into the new players at night. 

Most of them suspect I am not from around here. When I ask where do they think I come from? ☝️

I must confess, I use rather archaic words, the occasional Queen's English, and a touch of other languages. 

But I am from Texas. I swear. Not some lone star out in space.☝️🚀

You know. The Lonestar State.

😏

Members
237 posts

I live in the UK I moved over from the EU server last Dec, really glad I did it is much more enjoyable here.

Although I live in the UK I lived for a good chunk of my life in NH/MA and still have most of my family over there.

[YIKES]
Members
236 posts
5,860 battles

Germany

[FML]
Members
4,088 posts
15,958 battles
11 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Hi all. 

No idea about percentages, but I started WoT on the NA server and when I started WoWS there was no SEA server.  I thought about migrating to SEA but given my friends and clan were here I thought it was pretty pointless.  Particularly because the lag is rarely a problem, even with a ping of ~220-240 range.