Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ranari

Roma - The Secret to Success

26 comments in this topic

[UN1]
Members
1,280 posts
3,934 battles

A lot of players struggle with the Roma, and rightfully so.  This Italian supermodel doesn't play like a traditional battleship, so I create a how-to video on one of the tactics I use specifically to the Roma to great effect.  For those struggling with this ship, I think you will find it super useful to boost your stats, and most importantly, you fun.

• Cool 2

[UNC]
Members
813 posts
6,081 battles

The problem with Roma is that even landing hits consistently is extremely difficult past 10-12km, nevermind at max range or max spotter range.  Watching the replay you took a lot of shots in the 12-14km range and out of 6 or 9 gun salvoes often only hit one or two shells; getting full pens maybe 1/3 of those that hit.  That is absolutely terrible, and its not the player - its the ship.  I have Roma and really want to love the ship because it is straight up gorgeous but the gunnery just kills it for me.  I would gladly give up 1-1.5km of concealment for better gun performance.  I worry about the coming RM BB line, because the early stats look like the gunnery will be similar to Roma and that just isn't fun.  But at least they go faster than 22 knots, so there is that.

[LEHR]
Members
27 posts
2,491 battles

I haven't seen yours yet, but I will in a minute....     I Built my Roma around the fact it's a Fast Ship for it's Size, Big Guns, Good Reload and Armor, and with the Range Issues - Getting it into peoples Faces to Maximize those Capabilities...     The Build I have and Commander Skills are at 11:05 in the Video....

First Run I tried a Typical Battleship type Build for the Secondary Guns and the Rudder, but I found the Rudder Shift was making my Main Turrets Unusable at Close, Knife Fight type Ranges, and Aiming Systems, while Quite Nice on most other Battleships, didn't seem to be Helping Roma at all...     I also found the Secondary's to be OK, but not Noteworthy in a Broadside Pass where the main Guns would literally Tear another Ship Apart at that Range and with the reload, you'd Typically get in another Salvo if Crossing Over and making them try to Chase you with their Guns...   So I Dropped anything for the Secondary's and went for the Main Turret Rotation to keep the Guns on Target, but the Rudder Shift was STILL Too Fast, Better, but still not Right....   

My Next Change was Dropping the Rudder and going for the Engine Speed Solely to get this Beast Moving Quicker and making it an Ambush/Broadside Combatant...    At the Stock Rudder Shift and the Increased Turret Speeds, I can Keep my Guns On Target AND make a Wake Crossover at the Same Time with the 23.7 Sec Turret Traverse while the Fast Reload allows for another Volley while they're still Struggling to keep their Guns on you...   My Commander is now at 11 Points, and I just Added Basic Firing to the List Above in the Video...    It can Take a beating, the Armor's no Slouch at all and having Superintendent Helps greatly in Staying in the Fight while Adrenaline Rush keeps the Guns all Singing....

I Love the Ship, I think I actually Play it MORE than my Tirpitz...   And I'm DEFINATELY Looking Forward to the Rest of the Battleships we have Coming...   

When I bought Roma, I wasn't looking for another Tier 8 Battleship, Premium or Otherwise...     What I was Looking for was a Nice, Simple Mid Tier Battleship like the Giulio Cesare, but it wasn't Available and wasn't Looking to be ever again with what I was Finding Out about it as I Dug Deeper....    But a Buddy of mine Bought me the Tirpitz, so Despite my Reluctance to Get another Higher Tier Ship with where I was in my Grinds, I Bought the only Available Italian Battleship there was...     I'm STILL Hoping that WG and WoWS will bring the Giulio Back for the Heavy Introduction, I don't Care about what the Ship is Capable of, I just wanted a Good Mid Tier Italian Battleship to work on Commanders with and have Fun in....    I'm Hoping the Rest of the Line is as Fun as the Cruisers and the Roma are, and they're Certainly looking to be VERY Interesting...

[UN1]
Members
1,280 posts
3,934 battles
On 11/3/2020 at 9:31 PM, Uncle_Lou said:

The problem with Roma is that even landing hits consistently is extremely difficult past 10-12km, nevermind at max range or max spotter range.  Watching the replay you took a lot of shots in the 12-14km range and out of 6 or 9 gun salvoes often only hit one or two shells; getting full pens maybe 1/3 of those that hit.  That is absolutely terrible, and its not the player - its the ship.  I have Roma and really want to love the ship because it is straight up gorgeous but the gunnery just kills it for me.  I would gladly give up 1-1.5km of concealment for better gun performance.  I worry about the coming RM BB line, because the early stats look like the gunnery will be similar to Roma and that just isn't fun.  But at least they go faster than 22 knots, so there is that.

When it comes to gunnery consistency, the Roma really is a poor experience.  That's why [in the video] I had to completely change my mindset when playing this ship.  It's not about landing those sweet AP citadels.  It's just about hitting your target, and nothing more.  

[UNC]
Members
813 posts
6,081 battles

So basically what you are saying (and this is not meant to be snarky) is that once you accept that the ship is bad and not fun and adjust expectations accordingly you won't hate playing it anymore.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,752 posts
7,894 battles
24 minutes ago, Uncle_Lou said:

So basically what you are saying (and this is not meant to be snarky) is that once you accept that the ship is bad and not fun and adjust expectations accordingly you won't hate playing it anymore.

Roma pays for her other good qualities with the less consistent gunnery, if they removed that she'd be OP. But bad is not the truth, it's just not fun for easy AP citadels the way some other BBs are. If it were bad you'd be hamstrung on even winning in it.

Edited by MnemonScarlet

[UNC]
Members
813 posts
6,081 battles
5 minutes ago, MnemonScarlet said:

Roma pays for her other good qualities with the less consistent gunnery, if they removed that she'd be OP. But bad is not the truth, it's just not fun for easy AP citadels the way some other BBs are. If it were bad you'd be hamstrung on even winning in it.

Bad really wasn't the right word, honestly.  I have Roma and she is one of my most played ships, but the more I play it the less I enjoy it.  It's just too much work and you still gotta get RNG to cooperate to get decent results.  I don't even mind that citadels are less frequent than other BBs (more would be nice though); its just a frustrating ship to drive because the guns are so ridiculously trolly.  Missing 8 shells out of 9 at 6km is a joke, and it happens all the time.  I have said from the getgo that Roma's dispersion is bugged but I wouldn't begin to know how to prove it.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,752 posts
7,894 battles
1 minute ago, Uncle_Lou said:

Bad really wasn't the right word, honestly.  I have Roma and she is one of my most played ships, but the more I play it the less I enjoy it.  It's just too much work and you still gotta get RNG to cooperate to get decent results.  I don't even mind that citadels are less frequent than other BBs (more would be nice though); its just a frustrating ship to drive because the guns are so ridiculously trolly.  Missing 8 shells out of 9 at 6km is a joke, and it happens all the time.  I have said from the getgo that Roma's dispersion is bugged but I wouldn't begin to know how to prove it.

I won't deny that she can be really frustrating sometimes, I do about ~70k in Roma and a lot of games it's 70k of chip damage. The mediocre (not bad, just very average) accuracy and high pen/shell speed make getting damage a chore sometimes. Especially with the range, 18km is not very fun.

I think someone did a vertical dispersion test recently and found out Roma's vdisp isn't really that bad, it's probably just a combo of the mediocre overall accuracy, the bad range which means getting shots is a chore, and the totally average reload. Those combine to make you work harder to get damage than in a lot of other BBs.

[UNC]
Members
813 posts
6,081 battles
7 minutes ago, MnemonScarlet said:

I won't deny that she can be really frustrating sometimes, I do about ~70k in Roma and a lot of games it's 70k of chip damage. The mediocre (not bad, just very average) accuracy and high pen/shell speed make getting damage a chore sometimes. Especially with the range, 18km is not very fun.

I think someone did a vertical dispersion test recently and found out Roma's vdisp isn't really that bad, it's probably just a combo of the mediocre overall accuracy, the bad range which means getting shots is a chore, and the totally average reload. Those combine to make you work harder to get damage than in a lot of other BBs.

I'd be interested to see the results of dispersion testing for Roma; I must have missed that test.  I average around 77k in Roma, so it's not like I can't make the ship work; its just frustrating as heck to do it and if RNG says nope then you are pretty much hosed.  I had been hoping that as her global stats normalized that WG might give her a little tweak to improve her gunnery; but I see that she is still top third in win rate and middle of the pack for average damage so stats wise she does not appear to need a buff.  I wonder if it would be better or worse if they gave Roma the Russian BB dispersion curve.  With her concealment and a max range almost identical to Vladivostok I think the Russian dispersion curve could be interesting.

I feel like Roma needs just a little something to be more comfortable to play, but I'm not sure what/how without making her OP.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,752 posts
7,894 battles
1 hour ago, Uncle_Lou said:

I'd be interested to see the results of dispersion testing for Roma; I must have missed that test.  I average around 77k in Roma, so it's not like I can't make the ship work; its just frustrating as heck to do it and if RNG says nope then you are pretty much hosed.  I had been hoping that as her global stats normalized that WG might give her a little tweak to improve her gunnery; but I see that she is still top third in win rate and middle of the pack for average damage so stats wise she does not appear to need a buff.  I wonder if it would be better or worse if they gave Roma the Russian BB dispersion curve.  With her concealment and a max range almost identical to Vladivostok I think the Russian dispersion curve could be interesting.

Here's the results, they were quite surprising to me when I saw them. I personally wouldn't want the VMF dispersion curve, since it would make Roma even worse at range than she already is.

1 hour ago, Uncle_Lou said:

I feel like Roma needs just a little something to be more comfortable to play, but I'm not sure what/how without making her OP.

TBH, I can't think of anything either. She'd be OP if they improved her consistency at this point. That's why I wanted Impero to be T9 Roma with all the kinks ironed out, but WG destroyed those dreams.

[LEHR]
Members
27 posts
2,491 battles

I just find that unless I can get it into their Faces, the other Team seems to Avoid it and keep it at it's Weakest, Long Range....      I go Middle, they're on the Flanks...    I Scoot Out some, they're either Middle in an Island Cluster that Blocks all the Possible Shots or the Farthest Side of the Map....     It's like it has a Bubble on Not Today Wrapped around it...    lol

But Definitely, the Chipping get's Olde after a While...    Coming out of a Game on 50% the Damage Output you ought to be Doing is a Sad and Painful Sight, especially when the Hitpoints ARE there to Take and the Game just won't let you Dip into that Till....    I was Bottom Tiered all AM in both the Roma AND the Tirpitz and they BOTH got the Treatment today, but Tirpitz had the Torp's to help Offset RNG being a PitA and Roma only has the Guns to Bail itself Out....

Couldn't Hurt a Jean Bart in a Game this AM, Over Pen's and Bounces, FULL Broadside....    Yet, along comes a Kremlin and Boom, 1st Volley Citadel AND I get the Kill on the Reload...    Jean Bart, Sails away only to Turn back and Thwart the Guns yet again...    lol       It's like Teasing, but not in a Fun Way...    

[UNC]
Members
813 posts
6,081 battles
6 hours ago, MnemonScarlet said:

Here's the results, they were quite surprising to me when I saw them. I personally wouldn't want the VMF dispersion curve, since it would make Roma even worse at range than she already is.

TBH, I can't think of anything either. She'd be OP if they improved her consistency at this point. That's why I wanted Impero to be T9 Roma with all the kinks ironed out, but WG destroyed those dreams.

Thank you for linking that; I realize now that I had seen the thread but the math was beyond me.  I have to assume that the lower numbers in his analysis are better vertical dispersion values.  While Roma's numbers look bad relative to some others, I've never really felt that vertical dispersion was the problem with Roma.  I think the horizontal dispersion is pretty bad given a max range of only 18.1, and I think the sigma could be buffed by 0.1, 0.15, maybe even 0.2 without totally breaking the ship.  Though looking at the fitting tool, Roma's dispersion of 244m @ 18.1km is roughly comparable to a fully upgraded Monarch (242m @ 18.15) or stock FdG (245 @ 18.47) and all have the same sigma of 1.80.  Maybe its just the old "German" dispersion pattern rearing it's head.

Maybe instead of improving the dispersion/sigma they could drop the reload to 28s.  It's a pretty small change that I don't think would make Roma OP; over the course of an entire match it may translate into only 2-3 additional salvos.  I could even see giving up a little bit of concealment for a small gain on the guns. 

I dunno.  Looking at the stats it shouldn't be really any worse than any other BB.  On paper, at least.  It just doesn't translate in game - its a frustrating experience, unless RNG smiles on you for an entire game.  One of my most recent games in Roma, I had a triple citadel salvo on a Buffalo at over 19km; then missed all 9 shells on a Montana at 6km.  There's just no logic to it.

[MR-1]
[MR-1]
Members
1,430 posts
20,352 battles

i love my roma . get in real close seconderies take care of the rest 

[NMKJT]
Members
2,752 posts
7,894 battles
11 hours ago, Uncle_Lou said:

Thank you for linking that; I realize now that I had seen the thread but the math was beyond me.  I have to assume that the lower numbers in his analysis are better vertical dispersion values.  While Roma's numbers look bad relative to some others, I've never really felt that vertical dispersion was the problem with Roma.  I think the horizontal dispersion is pretty bad given a max range of only 18.1, and I think the sigma could be buffed by 0.1, 0.15, maybe even 0.2 without totally breaking the ship.  Though looking at the fitting tool, Roma's dispersion of 244m @ 18.1km is roughly comparable to a fully upgraded Monarch (242m @ 18.15) or stock FdG (245 @ 18.47) and all have the same sigma of 1.80.  Maybe its just the old "German" dispersion pattern rearing it's head.

Maybe instead of improving the dispersion/sigma they could drop the reload to 28s.  It's a pretty small change that I don't think would make Roma OP; over the course of an entire match it may translate into only 2-3 additional salvos.  I could even see giving up a little bit of concealment for a small gain on the guns. 

I dunno.  Looking at the stats it shouldn't be really any worse than any other BB.  On paper, at least.  It just doesn't translate in game - its a frustrating experience, unless RNG smiles on you for an entire game.  One of my most recent games in Roma, I had a triple citadel salvo on a Buffalo at over 19km; then missed all 9 shells on a Montana at 6km.  There's just no logic to it.

Remember, German/European dispersion was just the horizontal figure, which if you look at the curves posted on reddit really isn't that different from USN/RN. It's just that Roma's AP is very BB specialized cause of the fuze/pen/MV combination, and yeah the reload and range just make you feel the discomfort more. I get those kinds of misses even with Champagne on occasion, where none of the shells do what you want. But the reason they stick in people's minds is because even hits can easily become too marginal.

Though after playing my Stalingrad a bunch, I know what buff I'd give it. The RN shell fuze is pretty crap, 0.015, sometimes you have severe difficulties getting through armor with it. But Stalingrad has 0.022, and I bet that would feel great on Roma, vs her current BB standard 0.033. That's the only buff I'd give her, and I bet it would make her more comfortable vs cruisers without having to change how powerful she is or isn't vs other BBs. The 0.022 fuze is almost always enough to deal with BB armor schemes on Stalingrad, assuming you have the angle and pen for the range.

Edited by MnemonScarlet

[UNC]
Members
813 posts
6,081 battles
3 hours ago, MnemonScarlet said:

Remember, German/European dispersion was just the horizontal figure, which if you look at the curves posted on reddit really isn't that different from USN/RN. It's just that Roma's AP is very BB specialized cause of the fuze/pen/MV combination, and yeah the reload and range just make you feel the discomfort more. I get those kinds of misses even with Champagne on occasion, where none of the shells do what you want. But the reason they stick in people's minds is because even hits can easily become too marginal.

Though after playing my Stalingrad a bunch, I know what buff I'd give it. The RN shell fuze is pretty crap, 0.015, sometimes you have severe difficulties getting through armor with it. But Stalingrad has 0.022, and I bet that would feel great on Roma, vs her current BB standard 0.033. That's the only buff I'd give her, and I bet it would make her more comfortable vs cruisers without having to change how powerful she is or isn't vs other BBs. The 0.022 fuze is almost always enough to deal with BB armor schemes on Stalingrad, assuming you have the angle and pen for the range.

No, I knew that was only the horizontal figures and also that the curves weren't significantly different.  That's why I kind of laughed when everyone thought the Germans switching to the US formula would be this sea change in how they performed.  Looking at the reddit post, it appears that Roma's dispersion is about 10m too large for her max range, assuming those numbers are accurate and I haven't missed something.  Per that chart, Italian BBs should be at 233 @ 18km and 242 @ 19km; Roma stock is 244 @ 18.1 IIRC.  Not a huge difference, but I'd take anything we can get.  

A fuse time buff to Roma might actually be very helpful.  I'd still like to see about 2 seconds come off her reload time, but changing the fuse timer is an excellent thought.  Not exactly related, but did you see the huge nerf to RM BB SAP damage that just went into PT?  If I'm not mistaken their SAP is now roughly the same damage as the AP.  Be interesting to see how the AP performs and whether SAP will be universal or if switching ammo is the way to go.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,752 posts
7,894 battles

No, I knew that was only the horizontal figures and also that the curves weren't significantly different.  That's why I kind of laughed when everyone thought the Germans switching to the US formula would be this sea change in how they performed.  Looking at the reddit post, it appears that Roma's dispersion is about 10m too large for her max range, assuming those numbers are accurate and I haven't missed something.  Per that chart, Italian BBs should be at 233 @ 18km and 242 @ 19km; Roma stock is 244 @ 18.1 IIRC.  Not a huge difference, but I'd take anything we can get.  

Yeah, the differences between the non-weird BB dispersion curves aren't very pronounced, IJN is the most different on one end and VMF on the other. The change to USN was nice for a little extra comfort, but doesn't really do much when you think about it.

A fuse time buff to Roma might actually be very helpful.  I'd still like to see about 2 seconds come off her reload time, but changing the fuse timer is an excellent thought.  Not exactly related, but did you see the huge nerf to RM BB SAP damage that just went into PT?  If I'm not mistaken their SAP is now roughly the same damage as the AP.  Be interesting to see how the AP performs and whether SAP will be universal or if switching ammo is the way to go.

I played some Roma tonight, and I take it back, I'd also give her some range. Reload for more volume of fire when in the sad 18km range, or just 20km of range or so. Nights when everyone sits back it's really brutal to get any work at all done, because you have to go into danger zones so much.

Sadly I think the newer RM BBs won't even be as fun as Roma, because of the balancing needed for SAP on BBs to not be overpowered. I saw the damage nerf for the shells, and we'll probably just fire those most of the time due to the reload. IIRC SAP is 33% healable, so the damage won't stick as well as citadels. It'll be more reliable, but that bad dispersion coupled with that will make two new RM BBs fighting each other with the SAP kinda a slapfight.

[UNC]
Members
813 posts
6,081 battles
2 hours ago, MnemonScarlet said:

Yeah, the differences between the non-weird BB dispersion curves aren't very pronounced, IJN is the most different on one end and VMF on the other. The change to USN was nice for a little extra comfort, but doesn't really do much when you think about it.

I played some Roma tonight, and I take it back, I'd also give her some range. Reload for more volume of fire when in the sad 18km range, or just 20km of range or so. Nights when everyone sits back it's really brutal to get any work at all done, because you have to go into danger zones so much.

Sadly I think the newer RM BBs won't even be as fun as Roma, because of the balancing needed for SAP on BBs to not be overpowered. I saw the damage nerf for the shells, and we'll probably just fire those most of the time due to the reload. IIRC SAP is 33% healable, so the damage won't stick as well as citadels. It'll be more reliable, but that bad dispersion coupled with that will make two new RM BBs fighting each other with the SAP kinda a slapfight.

With the current meta it seems like it has devolved into more long range, static gameplay with the resurgence of CVs.  So many players are afraid to stick their nose out of cover these days; I think its a big part of the reason why ships like Thunderer are so successful - comfortable gunnery and reliable damage even at max range.  Roma can't really compete in the current static meta; CVs remove her concealment advantage, and without being able to close the distance she doesn't have the range to do work.

I am concerned about the new RM BBs.  I think they will be a nightmare to balance because SAP is SO strong.  Even with only 381mm guns all the way to t10 I think that WG is going to have to walk a very fine line on these ships to make them competitive and compelling to play without being too strong.  I'm not sure limited range and lower sigma will be enough; I fear that the new trend in extremely long reload times may continue, especially with the t10.  From what I have seen, the armor profiles look fairly good on the RM BBs so the weaknesses will need to be somewhere else; my assumption is gunnery, although I expect that like Roma they will have weak AA and totally forgettable secondaries.

I am still scratching my head at the dispersion values on that reddit post you linked.  I know that they can (and frequently do) tweak premium ship stats so that they differ somewhat from the tech tree, but that 10-ish meter difference in max horizontal dispersion seems kind of suspect to me.  I am curious if it is intended, and if so what is the reasoning for it. 

[UN1]
Members
1,280 posts
3,934 battles
On 11/12/2020 at 1:22 PM, Uncle_Lou said:

No, it's not that.  I've learned to not rely on the Roma to deal those wholloping citadel strikes.  I can rely on other battleships to do that, but not the Roma.  Instead, I've learned I can pretty reliably hit targets at range (even if it's just one shell) and that has a crowd control effect that has a pretty significant impact on the outcome of the game.  

It's once I recognized what I was contributing to the game in my Roma that I started having fun.  No one wants to play a ship they feel like they suck at.  Total truth there.  But when you are being impactful, that can be appreciated.

[UNC]
Members
813 posts
6,081 battles
4 hours ago, Ranari said:

No, it's not that.  I've learned to not rely on the Roma to deal those wholloping citadel strikes.  I can rely on other battleships to do that, but not the Roma.  Instead, I've learned I can pretty reliably hit targets at range (even if it's just one shell) and that has a crowd control effect that has a pretty significant impact on the outcome of the game.  

It's once I recognized what I was contributing to the game in my Roma that I started having fun.  No one wants to play a ship they feel like they suck at.  Total truth there.  But when you are being impactful, that can be appreciated.

Yeah, that post was a bit of hyperbole on my part, and I knew good and well that was not what you were saying.  For that I apologize.

I get what you are saying, but I don't find that crowd control effect at all when I play Roma.  In my experience, many players don't respect Roma as a threat because her dispersion woes are so well known.  Sure, she has great armor for bow-tanking and short of showing her sides can tank with the best of them; but without being able to reliably land those big alpha strikes nobody fears Roma.  Chip damage adds up to be sure and with patience you can accumulate some really nice numbers, but how many players notice when they are being chipped down?  Especially at 1200 HP per chip? 

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad you have found a way to enjoy Roma.  For the price of the ship, its good that players can enjoy it.  I don't hate the ship, but I do find it very frustrating at times and it's just bad for the health of the game to have ships that are frustrating to play.  I do like her as a moneymaker though.  With the Kobayashi camo she prints credits; it doesn't take a great game for Roma to gross 1M credits. 

[UN1]
Members
1,280 posts
3,934 battles
2 minutes ago, Uncle_Lou said:

Yeah, that post was a bit of hyperbole on my part, and I knew good and well that was not what you were saying.  For that I apologize.

I get what you are saying, but I don't find that crowd control effect at all when I play Roma.  In my experience, many players don't respect Roma as a threat because her dispersion woes are so well known.  Sure, she has great armor for bow-tanking and short of showing her sides can tank with the best of them; but without being able to reliably land those big alpha strikes nobody fears Roma.  Chip damage adds up to be sure and with patience you can accumulate some really nice numbers, but how many players notice when they are being chipped down?  Especially at 1200 HP per chip? 

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad you have found a way to enjoy Roma.  For the price of the ship, its good that players can enjoy it.  I don't hate the ship, but I do find it very frustrating at times and it's just bad for the health of the game to have ships that are frustrating to play.  I do like her as a moneymaker though.  With the Kobayashi camo she prints credits; it doesn't take a great game for Roma to gross 1M credits. 

I feel you, bud.  If there is anything I've learned about this game, it's that I don't "click" with every ship.  Roma is just a tough ship to click with.  One great ship that everyone raves about that I am appallingly terrible at, and I do mean truly awful at, is the Vladivostok.  Not saying you're bad at the Roma, but at the end of the day we all play this game for fun, Roma included.  Roma is a tough ship.  

You're absolutely right about one thing though. Maybe I should get the beer can camo.

[UNC]
Members
813 posts
6,081 battles
5 minutes ago, Ranari said:

I feel you, bud.  If there is anything I've learned about this game, it's that I don't "click" with every ship.  Roma is just a tough ship to click with.  One great ship that everyone raves about that I am appallingly terrible at, and I do mean truly awful at, is the Vladivostok.  Not saying you're bad at the Roma, but at the end of the day we all play this game for fun, Roma included.  Roma is a tough ship.  

You're absolutely right about one thing though. Maybe I should get the beer can camo.

I didn't do well in Vlad either, but I didn't give it much of a chance.  I got frustrated after a few games and was sitting on a pile of FXP and jumped to Soyuz.  Georgia is a bit of a bugaboo ship for me.  I keep hearing how great she is, but I find the gunnery to be oddly similar to Roma - very inconsistent hitting and lots of overpens. 

WRT to the Kobayashi beer can.  I actually found a mod that someone on the SEA server put together that replaces just the beer can part of the camo with the model for the original directors.  So you can run the Kobayashi camo and not see that giant can on her head (other players will still see it though).  The only difference is that with the can removed, the directors no longer rotate with the guns.  I don't mind that, because I'm not really looking at that during the game.

[PSA]
Members
5,111 posts
3,732 battles

Let's see:

- Horrible gun accuracy at all ranges with a tendency of overpenning non-angled cruisers.
- Really low main battery range for top tier matches.
- Her great concealment is trumped quickly if a DD or CV can spot her. And CVs are present in pretty much every match now.
- Horrible horrible trash AA to deal with said CVs. Also, exceptionally vulnerable to AP bombs.
- Horrible horrible trash secondaries that can't pen even mid tier DDs.
- Citadel rises very high above the water, and her weak upper belt and even weaker spaced citadel wall means that plunging AP fire from even the weakest guns can citadel her if they aim just right.
- While she has great forward facing turret angles, her rear facing turret angles are exceptionally bad, so Roma cannot kite without risking a good deal of pen damage even if she doesn't get citadeled.
- 15 inch guns can get bow tanked by German and USN heavy cruisers. Long reload on her guns compared to other ships with 15 inch guns.
- Cannot disengage from bad situations without risking a dev strike because her above the water citadel size makes Vanguard's look good.
- HE is laughably bad even by BB standards.

That's not to say that Roma is without merit:

- Ultra high penetration means she can reliably citadel all tier 10 BBs even at max range.
- Ultra high velocity shells makes dodging her shells nigh impossible.
- Very resistant to most HE spam. Can bow tank everything for a good while.
- Very fast turret traverse and generally good agility for her tier. She is quite responsive, which is nice.

But basically, Roma has way too many cons compared to her pros. Way way too many. Is it possible to get good games in her? Of course! But you REALLY have to work hard to get those. A single mistake and she gets punished HARD. If you're lucky and can find yourself in a match without any CVs, she can be pretty decent. But the moment a CV takes a liking to her, it's "game over, man, game over".

I personally love seeing Romas on the enemy team. Because I know it'll be easy damage farming 90% of the time.

EDIT: Can't watch the vid right now, but I'll be sure to watch it shortly.

Edited by KaptainKaybe

[PVE]
Members
12,549 posts
26,104 battles

The secret to success with Roma is not to waste your money on it in the 1st place or leave it in port if you already did. God I hate that ship.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,752 posts
7,894 battles
On 11/15/2020 at 12:41 PM, Uncle_Lou said:

WRT to the Kobayashi beer can.  I actually found a mod that someone on the SEA server put together that replaces just the beer can part of the camo with the model for the original directors.  So you can run the Kobayashi camo and not see that giant can on her head (other players will still see it though).  The only difference is that with the can removed, the directors no longer rotate with the guns.  I don't mind that, because I'm not really looking at that during the game. 

Yeah I use that mod, even though it's like 3 years old now, it still works, thank god. The rest of the camo looks pretty nice once you remove the beercan, so it's definitely a must have if you run beercan and don't hate mods.

On 12/9/2020 at 3:27 PM, AdmiralThunder said:

The secret to success with Roma is not to waste your money on it in the 1st place or leave it in port if you already did. God I hate that ship.

Actually I can see why you dislike it for PVE, the bots angle better than most humans do now. And the reload isn't great for fast PVE matches. I knocked off flakes/etc a few times cause I didn't feel like having a PVP match with Roma, and you do suffer more in PVE comparatively due to the specific mix of Roma's characteristics.

Members
319 posts
4,643 battles

She's fun in some ways, annoying in others, but not really competitive in the opinion of an average player. That said, I enjoy Roma, but it's more of a playstyle thing, I assume. I like how tanky she is from most relevant angles, and while her dispersion is terrible, at least the shells fly fast, so your "shotgun" ends up in the area around the target before they evade. Had to learn to shoot at angled cruisers vs. broadside ones, which is good, but overpens are annoying. On the flip side, it's fun when she clobbers an enemy BB for unexpected citadels. In general, I've found that if you can prevent yourself from having to show sides to a real threat, she's good at holding a flank or pushing, though more competitive ships would do that better. Oh, and her AA is awful, though that's partly because of how most AA is awful these days.

Strangest part is that I get rather high damage games in her (I'm just an average player) but my win rate in her is awful currently (got her about a week ago.) Not sure why, but it does seem that I have the worst luck on my teams when I play her: horrible players, AFK CV on our side vs. awake one on their side, DD's who won't even try to cap in games without CV's, etc. This odd bad luck has nothing to do with the ship, though, but it is odd. Sucks when you get over 100,000 damage and proudly hold a flank... only to see that the rest of your team melted like ice in summer.

Edited by old_radagast

Sign in to follow this