Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CheezWeez

Nelson

18 comments in this topic

[YETI]
Members
23 posts
1,534 battles

I've been saving my Free XP for Nelson, but I only have 120k, and I feel that they lowered the amount of Free XP you gain in battle. Should I keep saving for her or spend my Free XP on getting the last leg to the British light cruiser line?

Members
3,832 posts
13,815 battles

Save it for the Nelson (or any FXP that tickles your fancy).

Playing through the remainder of the tech tree will only benefit you in the long run. 

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,176 posts
5,512 battles

I took her out last week in a triple nelson div. Most fun I have had in game for quite some time. She uptiers very well because of her fire starting ability, and as top tier she is a BEAST with the super heal and gun layout. Our div with 3 of them pushed where ever we wanted uncontested. 

I highly recommend 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,725 posts
19,926 battles
8 minutes ago, CheezWeez said:

I feel that they lowered the amount of Free XP you gain in battle

They haven't. It's 5%. It's always been 5%. Have you run out of FXP multiplying flags?

Also, Nelson is one of the best premium ships in the game, for the price.

[YETI]
Members
23 posts
1,534 battles
6 minutes ago, Lert said:

They haven't. It's 5%. It's always been 5%. Have you run out of FXP multiplying flags?

Idk, maybe I have

I am still loading papa and ouroborus tho, and I used to never use camo

[-A-8-]
Members
508 posts
20,550 battles

FWIW I'd always recommend saving free XP for the ships you can get with it.

If, and it's a big if, you do use it on the tech tree you should save it for things like the upgraded hull, fire control etc. Personally I've never used it for this as I find playing the ships stock can help you learn a lot about how to get the best from them.

[CDOH]
Members
586 posts
7,550 battles

Not a fan of the Nelson in the current meta.  It a Citadel Pinata.  It can be citadeled from almost any angle.  Especially through the nose.  It has been seriously power crept by the likes of Sinop and other 406 calibler BBs.  Would recommend researching the ship before purchase.

[_BDA_]
Members
107 posts
3,506 battles

I would recommend that you save up free XP for Nelson instead of free XP-ing the British CL line.

The reasons for this are as follows, grinding out the line will help you gain more experience and in tern make you a better player. Plus you'd be getting a free tier 7 premium which is not only fun to play but will also help you with credit earning and training your British BB captains (and other British captains if you are so inclined.)

However, I say all of this assuming you like and know how to play the Nelson, neither of which are guaranteed. She can be rather unforgiving with her slow speed and high citadel. However, in exchange for this you get the absolutely ridiculous British "Zombie" Heel, fantastic HE shells, and troll 32mm midship plating. 

My advice would be to research the Nelson further (such as reading this review by Little White Mouse

beware that some the info such as the AA is out of date) and if you like it, save up your Free XP and get it. If you don't then just keep hoarding it. I would still not recommend that you Free XP the British CLs for reasons stated earlier outside skipping stock modules.

Hope this helps.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,073 posts
53 minutes ago, Rothgar_57 said:

Not a fan of the Nelson in the current meta.  It a Citadel Pinata.  It can be citadeled from almost any angle.  Especially through the nose.  It has been seriously power crept by the likes of Sinop and other 406 calibler BBs.  Would recommend researching the ship before purchase.

If anything else, Nelson is good for 2 things.

1. Getting achievement missions done.  It prints heal a fire related achievements.

2. It's a good Narai BB.  Sharn takes the crown as the best for me but for the price of Nelson (no money), if I didn't have Sharn, Nelson would be king of the Narai BBs.  I understand that this is an opinion, but it is mine.

OP, don't use FXP to skip ships unless you absolutely cannot stand a ship.  FXP ships can only be had with FXP.  You can evenually grind your way through a line, even if you do it slowly.

[YETI]
Members
23 posts
1,534 battles
1 hour ago, cheekywarship2018 said:

I would recommend that you save up free XP for Nelson instead of free XP-ing the British CL line.

The reasons for this are as follows, grinding out the line will help you gain more experience and in tern make you a better player. Plus you'd be getting a free tier 7 premium which is not only fun to play but will also help you with credit earning and training your British BB captains (and other British captains if you are so inclined.

I get what your saying, but British BBs are my last priority, I want to get the Goliath, Daring, and Mino first and then maybe the bbs for the Research Baeru. I do have QE, but it will still take me some time to get all the other TXs

And if I wanna train other captains, I don't really wanna spend Captain XP in retraining, and precious dubloons redistributing (as I am free to play). (And Nelson won't have her own specialized captain this way)

Although that might be useful if I do get UK bbs

[A-D-F]
8,073 posts
15 minutes ago, CheezWeez said:

I get what your saying, but British BBs are my last priority, I want to get the Goliath, Daring, and Mino first and then maybe the bbs for the Research Baeru. I do have QE, but it will still take me some time to get all the other TXs

And if I wanna train other captains, I don't really wanna spend Captain XP in retraining, and precious dubloons redistributing (as I am free to play). (And Nelson won't have her own specialized captain this way)

You don't technically need to put a BB captain in a BB.  You can put any brit captain in the Nelson and train them up, for their cruiser/DD/CV.  The skills won't match up perfectly of course but in practice, any premium is better than no premium.  It isn't really going to make THAT much of a difference, for the time they are going to be in the premium.

For a good while, the only premium BB I had for UK in Narai was the Hood.  I got it for free out of a crate drop.  I stuffed all my captains in the Hood and trained them up in that operation.  My UK CV captains learned how to CV, in a battleship. :Smile_teethhappy:

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,472 posts
17,844 battles
2 hours ago, CheezWeez said:

I've been saving my Free XP for Nelson, but I only have 120k, and I feel that they lowered the amount of Free XP you gain in battle. Should I keep saving for her or spend my Free XP on getting the last leg to the British light cruiser line?

Get the Nelson; it's still a steal. Fun in randoms and excellent in Narai. 

125 Best You Can Do It Memes That'll Cheer You Up

[_BDA_]
Members
107 posts
3,506 battles
12 minutes ago, CheezWeez said:

I understand your feelings and at the end of the day, it is your resources so you do with them what you want to do. 

One thing of note though is that Nelson is great at farming Narai, and though the economy it isn't what it used to be can still net you a fair amount of credits, commander XP, and Free XP and it doesn't really matter what captain skills you have. It can also help retrain your other British captains saving you more Elite Commander XP.

Also, it may not be optimal but you can still run Nelson with any of your other British Captains and still get decent results in Randoms.

Edited by cheekywarship2018

[BUF]
Members
57 posts
5,728 battles

I believe that Sea Lord Mountbatten did a YouTube video showing how to angle the nelson.  Angle your stern to the enemy and it makes it very difficult to do any real damage to the ship.

I really like the Nelson in Narai, get into the harbor and nose into the north heal zone with your stern facing south and just pound everything coming up the channel.  You just clean up on credits, xp and fxp as long as you know how to aim.

[IMP]
316 posts
5,397 battles

Nelson is VERY fun to play, I highly recommend it. Also it doesn't suffer that much when you get thrown at Tier IX games, I've had fun blasting Georgias for 12k and double fires. They hit back and very hard indeed, but what doesn't hit Nelson hard anyways?

[ALLY]
Members
342 posts
19,482 battles

Cheez,

Everyone will have a different opinion of what you should do.  You appear to be a new(er) player and I suspect you want to rush up the levels as quickly as possible or get a premium ship to rush up the Tiers.  Lots of people do it, and personally I think the majority do, including myself.  Lot's of people will tell you that you should take your time and learn while grinding the specific line instead of trying to rush up the line.  Now that I have as many battles as I do, it makes perfect sense to me and that is what I do.  Not everyone feels that way.  Right now I have 2 million Free XP and I am wondering should I get the Smalland or two Tier 9 Free XP ships to get more steel for the snow flake event (leaning toward the two T9).  The reason for this is because I do not use free xp for anything other than the free xp ships except for very rare occasions.  At some point I will be like some of the other players and have enough free xp to get numerous RB points and all those ships also, but it is going to be awhile.

Now as for the Nelson, personally I like it a lot and highly recommend the ship if you like that play style.  It was my second free xp ship after the Mighty MO.

Only you can decide what is the best decision for yourself.  There is a lot of merit to grinding the lines slowly and learning how to play them better, but a lot of people prefer getting to the top and then learning how to play them.  Enjoy no matter what your choice is.

C130 signing out

[90THB]
Members
196 posts
6,619 battles

There is a fairly recent video on YouTube from iChase showcasing the Nelson and how to abuse her 32mm armor sections by kiting away to keep her in battle longer.  She's a great ship, AP will punish pretty much everything and she has the really good HE that the RN BB line is known for.  And for the asking price vs what you get in return, Nelson is among the best bang for your buck as far as resource ships.

Sign in to follow this