You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
thesovietmenace

How to HE spam?

9 comments in this topic

[HSSW2]
Members
9 posts
269 battles

(New to the forums, this might be the wrong place)

HI!

I've a WOWS player for months now. I've tried many of the nations and vids and decided the Soviets are my favorite with their good dispersion, concealment, and ballistics. (Or just bc I'm Russian)

But I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to use he cruisers. Does anyone have tips on how to HE? Thanks!!

PS I'm not a noob, 250+ hrs.

EDIT: Oh my god, wow!!! so many responses in just 2 hrs. Im on teir 5 kotovsky, halfway to Budyonny, for those who want to know. I'm aiming for teir X, nevsky first. I have another account, so if my profile doesn't match up, that's why.

thanks!!!!!

Edited by thesovietmenace

[WORX]
Members
11,371 posts
19,183 battles
15 minutes ago, thesovietmenace said:

in WoWS, total Games played matters toward experience,hours may vary.

Game played in what type of ships matters too. A CV only driver with the same games as me, will ask the same question you would

In the end, you never stop learning. You'll always will have questions...Regardless of hours.

How to HE spam ? Depends on ship, tier and the map being played.. Without those basic requirement, its difficult/complicated to explain the "HOW".

Edited by Navalpride33

[SALVO]
Members
5,188 posts
4,493 battles
8 minutes ago, thesovietmenace said:

HI!

I've a WOWS player for months now. I've tried many of the nations and vids and decided the Soviets are my favorite with their good dispersion, concealment, and ballistics. (Or just bc I'm Russian)

But I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to use he cruisers. Does anyone have tips on how to HE? Thanks!!

Welcome!

Russian CLs on low-mid tiers are rather squishy and volatilize when receiving fire, the first rule would be, you don't want to get shot at. Second rule, range is your friend, try to engage near your max range, you have good ballistics and usually good speed, those are your main tools to use. Third rule, learn when to engage and disengage, even if you have a juicy target at hand, always consider the risk on your ship before revealing yourself by opening fire and don't be shy about stop firing and going dark if you get too much attention.

Being newbie, I recommend you pick skills Priority Target and Incoming Fire Alert, it will help you a lot with your situational awareness and general survivability. 

As added note, try to learn to fire without being spotted by enemies, using islands and smoke to mask your position but never remain motionless, don't get too confident... it only takes a passing plane or an experience player (who knows how to blindfire) to ruin your match.

Have fun!

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,687 posts
19,824 battles

Some general cruiser tips: always keep sharply angled to the person you're annoying. Wiggle, play with your speed. People tend to shoot at the easiest target available, make sure you're not it. This means holding your fire the moment you start drawing too much attention and always having an escape.

[NOKAP]
Members
64 posts
5,816 battles

Some cruiser's have better HE than others,

Do you want hard-hitting HE and high fire chance -- IJN cruisers, UK CA's (maybe French cruisers too)

or fast reload and spam shells everywhere and be annoying? -- USN CL's & some RU CL's

Do you want improved pen on your HE? -- German CA's

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,390 posts
4,198 battles
15 minutes ago, thesovietmenace said:

HI!

First question, you say you've been playing for months and 250 hours yet your profile says 44 battles, something doesn't add up? Alt account?

How to HE spam: Point and Click.

How to HE spam effectively, that's harder.

The biggest thing is understanding what you can penetrate. HE on RU cruisers has a penetration of 1/6 the caliber. So 180mm has 30mm penetration and 152 has 25mm. So if you're shooting at anything with more armor you're not going to do much damage. Know what armor your target has. For example, most BBs at T8+ have at least 32mm of plating. Many cruisers have at least 30mm. So you're not going to do much to deck and upper belts.

This however is what the IFHE skill was made for. This increases the penetration of your HE shells by 25%. So 180mm now pens 37.5 which rounds to 38mm, which just happens to be the thickness of the deck armor on high tier USN BBs. 152 now has 32mm of pen, which just happens to be the thickness of many BB extremities. So you can see this is very useful.

However, it comes at a cost, the other method of HE damage. IFHE reduces fire chance by 50%. So if you had a base 10% fire chance, it's now 5%. This is huge, and noticeable. So it forces you to choose between raw damage and fire damage. Fire damage is RNG dependent though, and also on several other things (player DCP management, fire prevention build and modifier, other fires). IMO for the higher tier RU ships IFHE is worth it, the raw damage is better than fires. I can't speak to the lower tiers, I played them before the IFHE rework which changed a lot.

The other part of HE shooting is aim and target selection. First, don't shoot waterline. That's shooting into a thick armor belt which you can't penetrate with HE (unless you're a RN BB, but let's ignore that). You want to shoot at the deck line. This puts shells into the upper belt, deck, and superstructure. All of which you can penetrate depending on the target ship and your guns. This will yield you good damage salvos and set fires. With fires, there are four places on a ship where they can be set, forward, aft, and two amidships. So if a fire is already burning in one of those places you can't set another fire there. If you want to set another fire, shift aim to a non-burning part of the ship. Also, the fire prevention skill reduces the number of fires that can be set amidships to one, so if you see a target with the entire superstructure alight, move to stern or bow.

Damage saturation also comes into play. In addition to a ship's overall HP pool, each part of the ship has it's own HP pool. If this HP pool is depleted (before the ship dies) then hits to that area will do vastly reduced damage. So if a ship has been taking HE spam to the superstructure for a while, hits there will start to do much less damage. Shift aim to an unsaturated part. You can tell because saturated areas are visibly darker, damaged, and burnt out. This is the biggest problem with HE spam, you will often reach a point where you saturate a target, and can't damage them anymore effectively. Fires still do damage though.

Another part of being effective knowing when to change ammo. AP is also an option, especially on high velocity 180s like the Nevsky has. Here the strategy is often to set a fire or two with HE. Then if the target is showing a decent amount of broadside switch to AP into the upper belt. The damage will be better than HE usually. Of course if they angle then HE is still the best option. But don't be afraid of using AP in the right situations.

Finally there's not getting hit in return, because believe me that BB you just set on fire in 3 places is going to be pretty pissed at you, and is going be sending some 16 or even 18 inch care packages that you REALLY do not want to get hit by. The first thing is positioning. With RU cruisers you want to be moving, and at range. 15km or so, closer and it gets hard to dodge in time. Then make sure you have an escape route. When that BB fires at you be able to turn, don't have an island right next to you. Also, think through where you're going, you might be fine now, but in a minute are you going to be in a situation where you can't turn out and open the range without showing broadside to three BBs?. Also, pick your situations. Don't try kiting away from 3 BBs with nothing else to shoot at, that's just too much to dodge and something will connect. One or two you can dodge, if they're on the same line. Don't try to kite 2 widely separated BBs, that just guarantees you're showing broadside to someone. Make it one on one, where his friends either can't shoot at you or are distracted. And be able to turn and disengage if needed. The problem I find myself getting into is I'm going good, going good, then the reds finish off whoever they were shooting at, and all of a sudden I'm fighting 4 ships, and I got too close to disengage, and I'm dead. But at the same time make sure you're useful to the team. You off on a flank kiting some random BB is great for you, but meanwhile the enemy may have steamrolled through a cap and half your team is dead. Whereas you behind a cap making life miserable for anyone trying to push in is much more useful to the team.

Kite, duck, and dodge, you have the speed and stealth to dictate the engagement. So use it, engage when it's advantageous, go dark and reposition when it's not. And use your excellent ballistics and accuracy to stay at a range where you can disengage at will. Then just work over your target of choice until they either die or turn around and give up.

The biggest thing is practice. You need to get a feel for the right range, what targets are good, when a flank is going to collapse. The knowledge and info I listed is good, but the biggest thing is practicing using that. Also, when you die ask yourself why you did. I still do that, and usually I can pick out a mistake I made (often several minutes earlier) that led to me dying. Self analysis is really useful. Admit you screwed up, and figure why so you don't do it again.

Know your targets, know your guns, position with care, and practice. Good luck, RU cruisers are a lot of fun:cap_rambo:

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[WOLF1]
Members
490 posts
1,382 battles

Well most HE spammers are light cruisers, as heavy cruisers with their heavier 8-12 inch guns and longer reload rely more on AP and penetrations rather than fires

For american light cruisers, use the high firing arcs to fire over islands so you can shoot them but they are unable to shoot back, unless they too have american firing arcs

for ships with a smoke, smoke in a comfortably range from the target, make the smoke as big as posible, and then use the max firing angles to be as bow in to the enemy while using all of your guns to not be torpedoed as easily . Remember to always find a way out.

other ships are open water types. Get into range but still undetected via a island in the way or not firing, then turn broadside, fire, and when other ships start focusing you start kiting

Members
367 posts
2,494 battles

The first great long-range HE spammer in the RU CL line is the tier 6 Budyonny. I strongly recommend getting to her and playing there for several battles (100 or so) to get your bearings.

There's a lot of back-and-forth right now on what captain skills to get for HE spammers. As you've just started, aim to get one captain to at least 10 points. Here's what skills I think you should get. Others may disagree on some details - for example, some prefer Adrenaline Rush to Expert Marksman.