Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Tpaktop2_1

Spotter returning to the ship

7 comments in this topic

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,984 posts
22,097 battles

To me, this is the first time I have seen this effect in action in a match. I am using the spotter plane and fire a salvo and watch the rounds arc until I hear "Spotter returning to the ship"  and watch the rounds arc suddenly change from their natural arc to a steeper arc. As a result all the rounds landed short. I always thought that the next slavo would be on the normal gunnery range without the spotter plane. However when WG means now, its not soon™ its immediately. Has WoWS always been like this way in changing physics with gunnery arc rounds in matches? How long has this been going on? How many WoWS players lost game achievements in matches as a result of this effect?

spotterr1.jpg

spotter2.jpg

Edited by Tpaktop2_1

[SALVO]
Members
3,725 posts
7,576 battles
12 minutes ago, Tpaktop2_1 said:

To me, this is the first time I have seen this effect in action in a match. I am using the spotter plane and fire a salvo and watch the rounds arc until I hear "Spotter returning to the ship"  and watch the rounds arc suddenly change from their natural arc to a steeper arc. As a result all the rounds landed short. I always thought that the next slavo would be on the normal gunnery range without the spotter plane. However when WG means now, its not soon™ its immediately. Has WoWS always been like this way in changing physics with gunnery arc rounds in matches? How long has this been going on? How many WoWS players lost game achievements in matches as a result of this effect?

spotterr1.jpg

spotter2.jpg

Well .  While I think you did experience some sort of visual bug in the first screenshot. Which is something I have seen before.   The second screenshot shows your rounds landing beside the carrier at the map border ( can't shoot further then border anyway) and outside of your indicated max range after the spotter had returned. 

Edited by eviltane

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,133 posts
13,592 battles

Do you have a replay for this? I've seen the bending shells before where they aren't properly drawn by the engine and have to be "retrofitted in" by the game and it creates this weird effect.

Edited by Compassghost

[SALVO]
Members
9,558 posts
7,008 battles

I'm fairly sure your flying salvo is not "cut short" by your spotter running out, I use it without inconvenience almost on a daily basis. I've seen the effect on your first pick, I think the explanation goes around what Compassghost said.

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,984 posts
22,097 battles
53 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

Do you have a replay for this? I've seen the bending shells before where they aren't properly drawn by the engine and have to be "retrofitted in" by the game and it creates this weird effect.

Here is the replay. I would like to know the answer.

20201102_111517_PASB108-Kansas_15_NE_north.wowsreplay

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,237 posts
4,363 battles

No, the spotter dying didn't cut the range midflight. Once the shells are in the air they're on their own ballistics, what your range is after that is irrelevant. What you're seeing is the visual change from the changing viewpoint. In this case it looks like the game visually bugged out a bit. But the visual tracers are not the actual shell path. And while your shells did land short they're still very close. I'm betting that's due to your aim/RNG, an actual trajectory change like is shown would throw the shells much further off target. So the trajectory stayed unchanged, you just missed a bit low (which is easy to do on a border scraping target). The tracer change is visual only, and comes from the viewpoint change. Odd looking yes, but it doesn't affect ballistics.

• Cool 1

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,133 posts
13,592 battles

Just watched it. Looks like the shells had to be drawn in after the camera switched from spotter to normal since it didn't render your shells in spotter mode. Their trajectory would not have changed, it's just the tail ends were extrapolated rather than properly rendered.

Sign in to follow this