You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
WhenThereWereGiants71

I am a Whale !!

38 comments in this topic

Members
35 posts
4,153 battles

Ok,  Yep, My inventory of Warships, well, to say the least, is on paper is outstanding; I have also found out that there is a training period for each.   I still do more than my share of " Returning To Port" a lot.    Yep at 71  yrs old, I still have a whole lot to learn.  Bismarck, Yamato, KGV, Jean Bart, and a lot more.  I show up on the Random Battle site, and I provide Target Practice for the " Other Side" more often than not. A lesson to be learned.   Practice, Practice Practice.  Yep, I have dropped a lot of GOLD. And well, WG, there is a real reason for " Co Battles, and I find myself losing to bots there too.   So.  In conclusion.  I will still go after the Dream Ships.  I will still provide Target Practice for the Elite Players.  But I will apply what I am learning returning to Port.  I will get better lets, Hope So!!    Thanks   Innkeeper70.  

• Cool 22

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,062 posts
22,582 battles
7 minutes ago, Innkeeper70 said:

Ok,  Yep, My inventory of Warships, well, to say the least, is on paper is outstanding; I have also found out that there is a training period for each.   I still do more than my share of " Returning To Port" a lot.    Yep at 71  yrs old, I still have a whole lot to learn.  Bismarck, Yamato, KGV, Jean Bart, and a lot more.  I show up on the Random Battle site, and I provide Target Practice for the " Other Side" more often than not. A lesson to be learned.   Practice, Practice Practice.  Yep, I have dropped a lot of GOLD. And well, WG, there is a real reason for " Co Battles, and I find myself losing to bots there too.   So.  In conclusion.  I will still go after the Dream Ships.  I will still provide Target Practice for the Elite Players.  But I will apply what I am learning returning to Port.  I will get better lets, Hope So!!    Thanks   Innkeeper70.  

Practice will make perfect, one day, soon... :Smile_hiding:

Keep plugging away. Take a look at some of the Youtube resources by community contributors and others. Us old guys have a bit more of a learning curve - especially, I find, when attempting to implement those "tricks" as reactions times are somewhat slower.

Hope you have as much fun as I do with this game, fellow whale!

• Cool 3

[NSEW]
Members
2,096 posts
11,302 battles

Hi, 

It doesn't matter whether you're a "whale" or "goldfish".  What matters is that you enjoy the game, and in time you will learn the intricacies of the game to improve over time.  Which indirectly, helps your team/games in the process.  Don't let the players that whale on the "whales" get to you.  They are just itching to find any excuse to turn off their filters from brain to mouth.

Welcome to WoWS, fair winds and following seas.

• Cool 1

[KILL]
Members
997 posts
11,536 battles

you need to post some videos of your battles.   your doing something really wrong in every single ship.   Well, at least Battleships, a.k.a. the only ones that matter.

I hope this isn't stat shamming, i didn't post any stats :cap_cool:

• Meh 2

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,371 posts
20,815 battles

Congrats!!

Hope you are enjoying!

My advice is play 1/2 lines you like from the very beginning. Don't skip tiers, as they are a progression ( well, sort of :Smile_teethhappy:).

If randoms are too fast paced  for you, use co-op, you will learn hot to aim consistently. Don't worry about killing or being killed, not yet. Once you learn to put the bullet where you aim, focus on dealing damage consistently.

Then start playing low tiers in randoms. There you will learn about positioning and angling.

There is where you will learn the intricacies of the game. Every time you get punished by an unseen ship, you need to understand what of the mechanics of the game triggered. Broadsiding, being to close or too far , etc.

If you are on the mood, look for a clan that plays casual, so you can division and surely a mate will help you.

I play regularly on the night, is you see me online don't doubt in ask for division.

Fair seas

Members
3,411 posts
40,499 battles

Have fun. Enjoy the ships as much as the battles you partake in.

Everyone starts out their own way and it doesn't matter how.

So long as you enjoy it.

It is what you get out of it that matters.

And don't let some snot nosed kid tell you any different.

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman

[REVY]
Members
8,079 posts
6,118 battles
1 hour ago, Innkeeper70 said:

I am a Whale !!

"From hell's heart I stab at thee"

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,445 posts
17,695 battles

I'm glad that you're enjoying the game but I'm not sure why you made this thread. You don't seem to be asking for advice just posting your mantra of sorts.

If you're concerned about stats then don't worry too much about your win rate with the number of random matches that you've had. I'd be more concerned with your PR (Personal Rating) and the damage that you do each match. Also, perhaps stay in the low tiers and concentrate on one type of ship, Battleships are the most forgiving, instead of jumping around. High Tier matches are also far less forgiving of mistakes as the ships can do so much more damage, and so quickly, than in lower tier matches. 

If you have any specific questions just post them in the forum. There's a lot of really smart and experienced people here that will try to help. 

As always, have fun!

Go Have Fun | Funny As Duck

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
3,057 posts

... at 71  yrs old, I still have a whole lot to learn.  ...

1 hour ago, Khafni said:

.... Us old guys have a bit more of a learning curve - especially, I find, when attempting to implement those "tricks" as reactions times are somewhat slower. ...

Y'all keep talking about age and I'll have to take my birthday candles and go home .... wait, strike that, I can't carry that much weight anymore! :Smile_veryhappy:

Just keep having fun, Innkeeper ... after all, that IS what games are for.

• Cool 1

[FORM]
Members
1,798 posts
12,135 battles

I will apply what I am learning returning to Port.  I will get better lets, Hope So!!    Thanks   Innkeeper70.  

Kudos on having a great mindset! Have fun with it, and if anybody gets salty at you because you don't perform like some Superstar, remind them it's all just pixels.

• Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Members
872 posts
20,700 battles

Hello,

My name is kyesac and I am a Whale.

Not a full grown adult whale, but I am in the whale category.

[0456]
Members
3,822 posts
10,091 battles
1 hour ago, WES_HoundDog said:

you need to post some videos of your battles.   your doing something really wrong in every single ship.   Well, at least Battleships, a.k.a. the only ones that matter.

I hope this isn't stat shamming, i didn't post any stats :cap_cool:

Yeah... Wowzers. 

Innkeeper go ahead and spend money on whatever- but there are a lot of resources available to someone who wants to learn how to get anything back for the investment. You're literally just throwing your ship away every battle... and the game can be WAY more fun than that. 

Think chess instead of... another game where you die immediately- whatever that is. 

[SALVO]
Members
2,499 posts
6,666 battles
2 hours ago, OldInnkeeper71 said:

But I will apply what I am learning returning to Port.  I will get better lets, Hope So!! 

Hey if you like and want to improve a bit on your random games. As long as you are willing to use voice comms. I would be more then happy to play some games with you and show you a few things that will make your battles a lot more successful with a bit of work.

Edited by eviltane
  • Cool 4

Members
2,091 posts
32,322 battles
22 minutes ago, eviltane said:

Hey if you like and want to improve a bit on your random games. As long as you are willing to use voice comms. I would be more then happy to play some games with you and show you a few things that will make your battles a lot more successful with a bit of work.

+1 - too bad there isn't more of this going around

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,931 posts
1 hour ago, Jolly_Rodgered said:

Go Have Fun | Funny As Duck

The correct course of action is to do what you were going to do, regardless.  The only way to "win" at relationship mind games, is to choose not to participate.   The problem will then solve itself, one way or the other.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,669 posts

71  yrs old

I hope you a long sojourn here because you're a tad older than me and now I don't feel so aged.

[SAPP]
Members
97 posts
8,602 battles

Hello OldInnKeeper71.  I'm 53.  Newly retired.  I've had somewhat the same issue.  Holding onto a 46% win rate.  I used to try and grind out for a few wins.  Now, when I start hitting 3-4 losses in a row I call it quits.  I've learned a lot from many of the Youtubers out there.   Destroyer KuroshioKai is one of my favorites.  Outstanding tutorials.  Best of luck to you, Sir.

[FML]
Members
4,078 posts
15,891 battles
3 hours ago, OldInnkeeper71 said:

So.  In conclusion.  I will still go after the Dream Ships.  I will still provide Target Practice for the Elite Players.  But I will apply what I am learning returning to Port.  I will get better lets, Hope So!

Great mindset!

If you’re interested, I’ve copied below a collection of resources directed at new and intermediate players, but you might find them helpful. Good luck!

There are a range of great resources to help new players; both on these forums and on youtube etc; I strongly encourage you to read the following: 

• How to set up your game client to get the information you need to win: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSCb96CLCs4
  • (For brand New Players - a full comprehensive guide) iChase's How to get good at World of Warships - I wish this was around when I started!
  • (For New Players) - Wargaming's 'How It Works' series that explains the game's mechanics - important to learn these as it differs to real life.
  • (For New Players looking to become Intermediate) my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide to understand how to get the best out of your ship every battle and how to deal with enemy ships of the same type. 
  • (For Intermediate players) LittleWhiteMouse's guide to How to take control of your winrate:  https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/75077-how-to-control-your-win-rate/
  • For players at any level who are interested in personalised feedback on a particular battle, get in touch with Lord_Zath and his replay centre - its an amazing service that you should take advantage of.  
  • You are under absolutely no obligation to spend money on this game - it is entirely free to play including at high tiers. 
    • Understanding the economics of WoWS and tips for playing as free-to-play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDgwH2w-k7U
    • Still, if you are interested in buying a premium ship, a discussion on what premium ships are good value for newer players can be found on my New Player Guide Premium Ships for New Players.
      • The second post in this thread has some good advice on how to rapidly become a better player through teamwork and positioning - see Section 3 - its worth a read!

• Cool 1

[0456]
Members
3,822 posts
10,091 battles
9 minutes ago, IRISHSDOWN said:

Hello OldInnKeeper71.  I'm 53.  Newly retired.  I've had somewhat the same issue.  Holding onto a 46% win rate.  I used to try and grind out for a few wins.  Now, when I start hitting 3-4 losses in a row I call it quits.  I've learned a lot from many of the Youtubers out there.   Destroyer KuroshioKai is one of my favorites.  Outstanding tutorials.  Best of luck to you, Sir.

Breakpoint fan? 

[WKY12]
Members
799 posts
12,900 battles
1 hour ago, Burnsy said:

The correct course of action is to do what you were going to do, regardless.  The only way to "win" at relationship mind games, is to choose not to participate.   The problem will then solve itself, one way or the other.

My man over here dropping facts.

[CDOH]
Members
547 posts
7,428 battles

You have played only 851 random games.  That is not very much.  I feel it takes at least a couple thousand games before you have a basic understanding of whats going on.  Don't level up to fast play low and mid tiers. Continue to play all ship classes and nations.  

I would recommend watching some tutorials on youtube and or joining an active clan.