Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
buzz_bomb

Priority AA and fighter

18 comments in this topic

[TF16]
Members
92 posts
6,262 battles

Sometimes when I'm under a dive bomber attack and the enemy planes are coming directly from my bow or directly off my stern I can't tell what side of the ship to prioritize my AA. This gets harder to tell especially if the ship is wider. Is it one of those things where there is actually a distinction and if I choose wrong I don't get the benefit? 

Also when I'm on a ship with a fighter consumable is there some strategy to exactly when I should trigger it as enemy planes approach to maximize the effect? Many times when I use it I don't feel it catches the planes in time especially if they come in for a pass and swing wide. I've noticed this as well bombing ships as a CV it only tends to shoot bombers down if I linger inside the circle. 

[SALVO]
Members
2,518 posts
6,693 battles
10 minutes ago, buzz_bomb said:

This gets harder to tell especially if the ship is wider. Is it one of those things where there is actually a distinction and if I choose wrong I don't get the benefit? 

Yes it can be hard to tell.  Though you should be trying your hardest to turn and not give the DB a straight pass over your ship. 

10 minutes ago, buzz_bomb said:

Also when I'm on a ship with a fighter consumable is there some strategy to exactly when I should trigger it as enemy planes approach to maximize the effect? Many times when I use it I don't feel it catches the planes in time especially if they come in for a pass and swing wide.

Fighters have been nerfed rather hard.  You need to launch them so they are well deployed before the enemy gets in range. Even when in range fighters will add an additional 1.5 second delay ( I could be wrong on the exact number)   after the enemy has entered their zone before they engage.  After the strike there is also an immunity period. 

Edited by eviltane

Members
81 posts
7 minutes ago, buzz_bomb said:

Sometimes when I'm under a dive bomber attack and the enemy planes are coming directly from my bow or directly off my stern I can't tell what side of the ship to prioritize my AA. This gets harder to tell especially if the ship is wider. Is it one of those things where there is actually a distinction and if I choose wrong I don't get the benefit? 

Also when I'm on a ship with a fighter consumable is there some strategy to exactly when I should trigger it as enemy planes approach to maximize the effect? Many times when I use it I don't feel it catches the planes in time especially if they come in for a pass and swing wide. I've noticed this as well bombing ships as a CV it only tends to shoot bombers down if I linger inside the circle. 

To be honest, it doesn't really matter. Better to focus on maneuvering.

A potato CV will blunder into AA on their own, and a good CV knows how to beat any AA.

[XXX]
Members
599 posts
1,450 battles
10 minutes ago, eviltane said:

Yes it can be hard to tell.  Though you should be trying your hardest to turn and not give the DB a straight pass over your ship. 

Fighters have been nerfed rather hard.  You need to launch them so they are well deployed before the enemy gets in range. Even when in range fighters will add an additional 1.5 second delay ( I could be wrong on the exact number)   after the enemy has entered their zone before they engage.  After the strike there is also an immunity period. 

Yeah even with fighters up a CV will usually get at least one strike through no matter what...which defeats the point of fighters IMO. If they're not enough of a deterrent to stop a CV striking you on low health, what's the point of them?

Members
1,581 posts
11,076 battles
5 minutes ago, Yandere_Roon said:

Yeah even with fighters up a CV will usually get at least one strike through no matter what...which defeats the point of fighters IMO. If they're not enough of a deterrent to stop a CV striking you on low health, what's the point of them?

They're a placebo to make surface players feel better so they stop complaining about CV being OP. Cause god forbid a CV player suffer some hardship.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,840 posts
4,733 battles
1 hour ago, buzz_bomb said:

Yes.  But it shouldn't come to that.  With a bow/stern-on attack you should be turning the ship, so coincidentally you know which side will present.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,840 posts
4,733 battles
55 minutes ago, Yandere_Roon said:

They kill planes.  Maybe not *all* the planes, but it adds up.

[SALVO]
Members
5,330 posts
4,560 battles

You get a choice in this situation you must give a little bit of side to the planes and select to buff that side. If it comes from bow or stern, you decide which side to present, the choice is on you.

As they are now, fighters work more as dissuasive than a punitive measure. Pop your fighter before the CV "select" you for a strike, as in you see it casually flying around your bearing at the limit of your air detection range. Hopefully, it will be discouraged by the Fighters and choose another target for its current drop.

Members
1,581 posts
11,076 battles
25 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Played a game in Kansas yesterday where I was focused by 2 CV and shot down 40 planes, I used 4 fighters and they never shot down a single plane. I've also never seen a single fighter kill in any other ship since the 9.9 update. WG completely broke ship fighters in that update.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,997 posts
10,434 battles
1 hour ago, Yandere_Roon said:

40 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

^This. Properly deployed fighters will not stop a CV from striking you if you are alone. What they will do is make the CV pay significantly for that strike.

11 minutes ago, Rouxi said:

Played a game in Kansas yesterday where I was focused by 2 CV and shot down 40 planes, I used 4 fighters and they never shot down a single plane. I've also never seen a single fighter kill in any other ship since the 9.9 update. WG completely broke ship fighters in that update.

I had lots of fighter kills in the games I played this last weekend, several of them in Kansas, no less.

Members
3,420 posts
40,888 battles

You can disguise them as tie fighters. That usually works.

Members
3,420 posts
40,888 battles
18 minutes ago, Rouxi said:

I don't think it's broken, I think the pilots are just cross-eyed.

• Funny 1

Members
1,581 posts
11,076 battles
1 minute ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

I don't think it's broken, I think the pilots are just cross-eyed.

I just watched the replay for that game and I was slightly off it was only 2 fighters. Anyway the 2nd fighter literally just circled over my ship while the CV was attacking me without doing anything. I think the pilots are blind.

[SALVO]
Members
5,330 posts
4,560 battles
21 minutes ago, Rouxi said:

I've also never seen a single fighter kill in any other ship since the 9.9 update. WG completely broke ship fighters in that update.

Fighters have become quite useless, even under heavy attacks and already having the fighters in position, I think I haven't killed more than 3 planes in a match, with zero being rather common. Before the nerf it wasn't uncommon for me to rack 4-5 kills in a regular match, under heavy attacks I usually managed 7-8 kills. 

[YORHA]
Members
5,143 posts
10,315 battles

They are a cost to the CV player.  The problem is very few skimmer players understand how they work.  Most put them up too late and don't use them in conjunction with their AA.

If you put up 4 fighters in time they will potentially kill 4 planes and that's it. Once a fighter gets one kill it is done.  So if you are up against a flight of 6 planes 2 are guaranteed to get through.  That's where you AA and Priority sector comes in.

Unless you are up against a Kaga those strikes will take a toll.  After a while the CV will not have enough planes to get a strike through the combination of Fighter cover and AA with PS running correctly.  AA and Fighters are not  should not ,and were never intended to be a solid wall against a strike.  Anyone who thinks they should be is playing the wrong game.  Just as anyone who says fighters are useless probably hasn't played CVs  in randoms very much.

But teamwork is the strongest defense against a CV.  Even a good one.

Edited by JCC45

Members
3,420 posts
40,888 battles
2 hours ago, buzz_bomb said:

Actually, don't bother with sector priority. You only are giving up a side and if the CV decides to swing back on the weak side,  they can without much resistance.

It is far better to execute a quick turn horizontal of his attack run so they are only capable of a low percentage drop.

If you got a fighter, then deploy it anyway, but before they approach the outer edge of your AA bubble.

This will ensure best deployment.

A CV will likely only land 1 bomb in a turn, but that is better than all of them.. they will swing around to try for the back end, so be prepared to snap another turn. 

Now these tactics work best on BBs. There are specific ones for other ship types.

If anyone wants to know, let me know. I have bombed just about every ship type out there. Some dodge gud and some don't. I have laughed at both and have only been impressed a few times, but I don't mind telling anyone the right way to do it. Because you still have to execute it. And that does take some practice. 

Members
3,420 posts
40,888 battles
11 minutes ago, Rouxi said:

I just watched the replay for that game and I was slightly off it was only 2 fighters. Anyway the 2nd fighter literally just circled over my ship while the CV was attacking me without doing anything. I think the pilots are blind.

You need to fire those guys. That is inexcusable.

If they keep that up, they won't have a ride home.

[-BUI-]
Members
2,405 posts
6,423 battles
2 hours ago, buzz_bomb said:

It's probably best to wait to deploy your Priority AA when you know for sure you can keep the planes in it for extended time....so if they're coming head on to you, don't use it, wait until after that first drop and they attempt to turn around to try to prevent the 2nd drop.   If you do pick the wrong side you could get hit twice instead of once, as it whatever side ISN'T priority loses some AA power for the duration.    Its unlikely your priority side will stop the first attack anyway (unless the plane group is already damaged and -1 attack group), so there is often little reason to try to use it too soon.    You should also be turning, try to turn in such a way if you DO pop your priority earlier, you keep the planes on that side for as long as possible.   

My suggestion for the fighter is to pop is the moment your AA begins to fire at the latest.   Really the fighter should be used as a "deterrent" and popped as early as possible, yes this will sometimes mean it gets "wasted" in the fact doesn't kill any planes, but what its real job is to try to get the CV to ignore you for a little bit.   Fighters in general suck though and you should not depend on them.   I often will take nearly dead drops of planes, like 1-2 planes and if someone has a fighter nearby, I'll try very hard to get it to "latch" on me to get rid of it for the least losses I can.

Sign in to follow this