You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
desmo_2

escaped_pumpkin post op check-in/debrief! (unofficial)

41 comments in this topic

[O_O]
Members
7,168 posts
18,057 battles

Let's discuss this year's Pumpkin Smash event.

escaped_pumpkin_188 checking in.

z9eyB1c.jpg

I actually played 43 games.  I don't know why one didn't log (possibly a late disconnect...I had a couple of those).  If I got sunk on the missing game, I hope the player still got rewarded.  With other things going on, I didn't get in nearly as many games as I wanted.  I missed the last several bounty events, but had previously been a Corgi_captain twice and a Maskarado once.

One thing I was quickly reminded of is that it can be very hard to play well when you are targeted by 3-8 all the time, every game.  When I got sunk early, I was often accused of YOLO'ing.  I wasn't YOLO'ing, everyone just wanted to sink me!  I did manage a few carries, anyway:

a9Uff7g.jpg

Most players I encountered were receptive and enjoyed the chance to sink an event account.  There was a very vocal minority that raged at the sight of a Pumpkin.  Since the events only happen 1-2 times a year, and only for a weekend at that, I don't get the anger. :Smile_amazed:

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[WORX]
Members
14,370 posts
20,934 battles
2 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

escaped_Pumpkin_188 checking in.

z9eyB1c.jpg

With other things going on, I didn't get in nearly as many games as I wanted.  I missed the last several bounty events, but had previously been a Corgi_captain twice and a Maskarado once.

One thing I was quickly reminded of is that it can be very hard to play well when you are targeted by 3-8 all the time, every game.  When I got sunk early, I was often accused of YOLO'ing.  I wasn't YOLO'ing, everyone just wanted to sink me!  I did manage a few carries, anyway:

a9Uff7g.jpg

Most players I encountered were receptive and enjoyed the chance to sink an event account.  There was a very vocal minority that raged at the sight of a Pumpkin.  Since the events only happen 1-2 times a year, and only for a weekend at that, I don't get the anger. :Smile_amazed:

40 games is a lot for a 2 and a half event... That is a 20 game avg... That is nothing to sneeze at, its a grind... One more event to add to your WOWS volunteer experience. 

Who were the top 5 tally, for the must games played for the event ?

[-TKS-]
Members
1,303 posts
11,301 battles
13 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

z9eyB1c.jpg

I actually played 43 games.  I don't know why one didn't log (possibly a late disconnect...I had a couple of those).  If I got sunk on the missing game, I hope the player still got rewarded.  With other things going on, I didn't get in nearly as many games as I wanted.  I missed the last several bounty events, but had previously been a Corgi_captain twice and a Maskarado once.

a9Uff7g.jpg

Play a California next time. You can’t be accused of yoloing if you’re the last ship to the battle line!

[O_O]
Members
7,168 posts
18,057 battles
17 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Who were the top 5 tally, for the must games played for the event ?

I don't know, yet.  I heard several on Discord talking about going over 100. :cap_wander:  The most I ever got in was 80 games during my first Corgi event.

[WORX]
Members
14,370 posts
20,934 battles
Just now, desmo_2 said:

I don't know, yet.  I heard several on Discord talking about going over 100. :cap_wander:  The most I ever got in was 80 games during my first Corgi event.

The record is 210ish games (all time during Femm's tenure)... Mind you, only one person ever made to the 200 game mark in an event period..

[WOLF2]
Members
335 posts
7,759 battles

I ended up hammering out 45 games:

espump13.thumb.jpg.d4b15d36316ecf991787bba4a32116d4.jpg

I also ground out 470k Free XP  in three days -- wish THAT would transfer over to my main account!

freexp.jpg.325242790136b707f2e7f54429eff4ea.jpg

This was my fourth? event (Corgi, Turkey, Maskerado and Pumpkin) and it's always an absolute blast playing ships you don't have access to, and connecting with the community.

It also made me realize I need Bayard in my life :fish_cute_2:

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,198 posts

I was not a pun'kin but can say as a player I enjoyed it. There was a great deal of friendly banter in every match where one was present. I probably came across a half dozen at least, pretty evenly distributed between my team and the opposing team. I bagged one and immediately after the match the rewards were present. Nicely done. 

I took most of a second one's HP pool with the killing shot on the way but a cruiser slid out from an island and bopped it. I am happy to finally see them out and about. Most of the other aforementioned specials I never came across. Even in the corgi heyday the most I encountered was less than this weekend. 

From my pov, I say "GG, job well done." 

Thanks to all who participated.  

[1CVDV]
Members
284 posts
12,814 battles

little disappointed in this years event.i got picked to be a escaped pumpkin,being it the first time for me did not know you had to log onto discord or check emails(not sure what deal was).I wrote to hapa to find out what I missed to do but haven't heard from him.navpride reached out to me on that so thank you pride appreciated it.long story short was looking forward to it but didn't happen this year,maybe next...will say this tho,played many games with opportunity to sink pumpkins,so they were out there....sax29.

[WORX]
Members
14,370 posts
20,934 battles
8 minutes ago, Saxon29 said:

I wrote to hapa to find out what I missed to do but haven't heard from him.

Concerning this, Happa had a finger accident, on the other hand.. He's ok. :Smile_hiding:He may not be typing much for at lease his finger recovers.

Members
569 posts
18,515 battles

There are some people that rage at everything in life. They aren't healthy. 

The good news is your interaction is less than 20 minutes and if they are playing games they aren't out in the real world. 

[O_O]
Members
7,168 posts
18,057 battles
10 minutes ago, Saxon29 said:

little disappointed in this years event.i got picked to be a escaped pumpkin,being it the first time for me did not know you had to log onto discord or check emails(not sure what deal was)

All information was initially put out here on the forum.  If selected, you got a forum PM with the Discord invite.  You had to check in on Discord, agree to the rules, and your log in would have been sent to you in Discord.

I'm not criticizing you by saying this, but reading and following instructions was (and always is) an issue for several players.  If you are interested in participating, you have to read all relevant posts carefully!

• Cool 3

[RBMK]
Members
2,341 posts
36,792 battles
28 minutes ago, HTSMetal said:

I ended up hammering out 45 games:

espump13.thumb.jpg.d4b15d36316ecf991787bba4a32116d4.jpg

I also ground out 470k Free XP  in three days -- wish THAT would transfer over to my main account!

freexp.jpg.325242790136b707f2e7f54429eff4ea.jpg

This was my fourth? event (Corgi, Turkey, Maskerado and Pumpkin) and it's always an absolute blast playing ships you don't have access to, and connecting with the community.

It also made me realize I need Bayard in my life :fish_cute_2:

Yup, it can be filthy with the speed boost upgrade kiting away.

[B2P]
Members
13,459 posts
40,323 battles
51 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I was not a pun'kin but can say as a player I enjoyed it. There was a great deal of friendly banter in every match where one was present..  

Yes I noticed this too. It was really good. A great and enjoyable event.

Members
18 posts
8,554 battles

escaped_pumpkin_142 reporting in. Got 53 games in and would have been more, but Clan Battles takes priority. Had a lot of fun and very few bad experiences with someone being toxic, although I cannot for the life of me understand why some people were. I mean, sink players and get free stuff? That sounds like a winning scenario to me!

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,819 posts
24,974 battles

I only saw one pumpkin this year. More disappointed that I didn't get selected.

Actually, this whole Halloween has been pretty much "meh"...

Edited by Khafni
  • Cool 2

[WORX]
Members
14,370 posts
20,934 battles
5 minutes ago, Khafni said:

Actually, this whole Halloween has been pretty much "meh"...

I would add, the event didn't feel or felt like Halloween at all.

Must be the 2020. What a year!

[WORX]
Members
14,370 posts
20,934 battles
28 minutes ago, CHAOS_in_the_N1GHT said:

I believe the accounts were "rerolls" but not in the intent of "unicum" stats

Not rerolled accts. Its a press account setup.

These accts are temporary... Once the event is done, like Cinderella and the pumpkin... You're a mortal being again and your anonymity is gone.:cap_book:

Edited by Navalpride33

[-BUI-]
Members
2,708 posts
7,103 battles
2 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

I think the anger stems from two major things.

1:  A perception that you are just there to die, even though its not true.   I definitely saw some pumpkins doing some questionable actions this weekend, getting into poor positions and just sitting there, not angling properly, making no attempt to reduce damage from the skies (I literally 1-flighted a pumpkin DD, he never turned...3 passes with 10+ rocket hits, yeah he died).  

2:  They are upset you aren't on there OTHER team, so they can sink you can get rewarded.   I don't know how many pumpkins I saw this weekend, but I'll say that easily 75% of them were on my team.   Its annoying when you want to sink one and get some doubloons and you can't because they spawn green instead of red.  

Just my feelings on the matter.   Along with that DD pumpkin I rocketed, I also got 1 additional one (in the same game no less) for my first and second prize ship sinks EVER in 2+ years of play.   

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,626 posts
24,266 battles

Been a Maketado myself, didn't get to participate this time.

It's hard to please everyone, if you make it difficult to kill you or even survive, reds don't like it, if you die no matter when, your team dislikes it, one for being in their team, two for not living enough.

All in all, only once have someone vocal in chat.

It's really fun, being and playing against.

[WOLF4]
Members
896 posts
12,339 battles

I always enjoy these events (as a regular player) - corgis, turkeys, pumpkins - love seeing them out there - so thanks to you folks that participate as "targets".

After all these years, I finally bagged one during this event - have been close in the past, but it's usually a bit of a crap shoot as to who's shells will finish the job when 6 folks are raining them down onto the same target!

Anyway - thanks again to those that participated as escaped pumpkins.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,236 posts
4,363 battles

55 games for me. Had a lot of fun, was nice to play just to shoot stuff and not be worrying about grinding or anything. I played as a usually do, though if there was a decision between the safe option and the riskier option I tended to take the risk. Tried a few ships as well, definitely going to be FXPing the Nevsky, I liked that ship. I had Moskva and just haven't got around to replacing her yet.

Overall it was well received. A lot of people thought we were bots because we sent the same message every battle, and there were always a bit of good natured complaining from people on my team (are you sure TKs don't count:Smile_smile:?). There were a few people who didn't like it of course,, the usual we lost because you're just going to yolo die, the rewards are crap (seriously, it's free), and other unclear reasons. My favorite was the guy who made some comment in Spanish, I'm not sure exactly what it was but it involved reference to my mother so I'm pretty sure it wasn't a compliment:Smile_teethhappy:.

But most people liked it, the announcement usually triggered some bantering between teams. I learned not to play Kremlin, because despite parking the middle of the map I always survived. I only played Belfast a few times, and didn't club the lower tiers too much:Smile_hiding:And it was always fun when our team took it as a challenge to have me survive.

There were a lot of pumpkins. This is my first time, but other events I saw a few pumpkins total over the whole weekend. This time I usually wasn't the only pumpkin in a match, no matter the tier or time. So clearly we were out there, and I feel if you played a decent number of games this weekend as a player you would have seen a pumpkin. So good all around. I also realize now how much work this event is for Hapa, lot of credit goes to him. He got taken out in a knife related cooking accident, hope he's feeling better.

Now I need to actually try out the Key Battles live. And there's always testing to do. Back to work, back to work....

• Cool 1

[V1-PI]
Members
460 posts
10,746 battles

pumpkin 205 checking in. 

tons of fun as always. 

does anyone know how we did on # of games played?