You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
NKato

Thinking about getting back into the game...so questions.

53 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
143 posts
398 battles

I'm an original beta player from way back when, and after the beta the game grind got so bad, I decided it was not worth my time. I am considering getting back into the game again, but one of the biggest incentives that almost pulled me back in last year was the Fleet of Fog promo. What stopped me?

The grind. Yes. The grind.

Someone told me the grind has improved since then, and I am willing to cautiously give it another try. However, I am curious about whether or not the Fleet of Fog will ever become available again in WoWS. If anyone has an answer to this, I'd like to know, thanks.

EDIT: I see there's a mention of the ARP Yamato for Black Friday this month. I will probably try to pay attention to that so I can get it, though I would actually like it if the full ARP bundle with all the ships and commanders was also available on Black Friday, too.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,714 posts
19,912 battles

The grind hasn't gotten better, unless you count a bigger presence of XP and FXP signals, but they take some time to gather in large numbers. If you're expecting the grind to magically be gone, you're gonna be disappointed. It'll always be there, since people grinding means population means an active game. That's how F2P works.

• Cool 2

[WORX]
Members
11,457 posts
19,196 battles

If you quit before 0.8 game patch series.... The game is unrecognizable, especially at high  tiers.

The grind, I think doesn't apply to me since I avoid tiers 9 and 10 like the plague. The grind at tiers 8 and below is manageable.

Other points to consider

• Guns, planes and secondaries are king of the game now.
    • Beneficiaries of power creep.
  • No AA
    • At least AA that you remember, experienced and loved before you left.

I think I covered the basics... GL. Hopefully you can find your fun amidst the changes done before you left.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
1 hour ago, NKato said:

I'm an original beta player from way back when

Like Yoda would say, "Play or play not." It's no skin off anyone's nose either way if you want to play WOWS or don't want to play WOWS. 

The ARP ships have been given out in events two or three times. I got all of them and went through the next event to get another Takao captain too. The events were fairly easy. I got rid of all of the clones but kept the Takao, which is now a full-fledged Atago as it now comes with premium permacamo.

Edited by Snargfargle

[PVE]
Members
6,946 posts
22,709 battles
5 hours ago, NKato said:

I'm an original beta player from way back when, and after the beta the game grind got so bad, I decided it was not worth my time. I am considering getting back into the game again, but one of the biggest incentives that almost pulled me back in last year was the Fleet of Fog promo. What stopped me?

Someone told me the grind has improved since then, and I am willing to cautiously give it another try. However, I am curious about whether or not the Fleet of Fog will ever become available again in WoWS. If anyone has an answer to this, I'd like to know, thanks.

EDIT: I see there's a mention of the ARP Yamato for Black Friday this month. I will probably try to pay attention to that so I can get it, though I would actually like it if the full ARP bundle with all the ships and commanders was also available on Black Friday, too.

They did receive "premium" status so all the camos that used to provide zero bonuses now have standard premium camo bonuses (even if just the standard 3%\4%...which they didn't have before).

Subs are in testing so the I-401 should be hitting the premium shop when those drop (just speculative that they will drop when subs drop...but pretty sure they will be on their way eventually)...although at least a few more months is the earliest they (regular subs...not the ARP ones) are expected to drop.

I do believe the other ARP ships were valued at 4500 doubloons but not sure of they are actually available but assuming they will become available again as the article for them becoming premium was worded to say, "Our collaboration w/ARP continues"...this implying that it never ended despite the years of unavailability of them.

Assuming Black Friday...or if not when the subs drop (or both) that they will be available again...although I have no actual insider data one way or the other.

But for sure...the grind will always be there...& don't see any indication of it ever going away (although if you are willing to pay it can be shortened by converting elite XP to FXP...as always).

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,714 posts
19,912 battles
7 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Subs are in testing so the I-401 should be hitting the premium shop when those drop...although at least a few more months is the earliest they are expected to drop.

There is no indication for this other than wishful thinking iirc.

Members
377 posts
209 battles

I'll save you the agro and a few hundred $$$

No point coming back.  Stay away/

Gameplay is toxic and sour.

• Confused 1
  • Meh 3

[FML]
Members
4,091 posts
15,976 battles
3 hours ago, NKato said:

I would have to say that the grind these days is much, much easier. 

Firstly, WoWS premium time now gives +65% XP bonus, rather than 50% of old. 

Secondly, there are a large number of 'economic' signals that you can earn with achievements and/or purchase with in-game currency like credits (silver) or coal from the armoury.  

Thirdly, there are 'dragonic' flags that you can purchase in the armoury for coal or buy from the premium shop with actual $ that give huge boosts to economic gains, like XP.  

A solid battle (like 1.5k base XP) with the economic and dragonic flags could easily get 10-15k XP from a single battle.  Given a T7 ship takes like 90k XP to the next tier, that doesnt take long at all. 

Of course, the flipside is that there are now a lot more tech three lines and nations to grind than the old USN and IJN, so if you want them all then its going to take some time.  But you really dont need them all to have fun - experiment, dabble and see what you enjoy.  

In short: I suggest you come back and give it a go. 

Good luck!

To assist, I have also copied some information in the spoiler below designed with new players in mind to help you get up to speed given the considerable changes that have happened to the game since Beta. 

Spoiler

For new players, I recommend the following nations and tech tree branches as easy to learn and to play: 

• Destroyers: American destroyers are the easiest to play - their fast firing guns, and torpedoes on both sides (at low tier) means that its a fast, fun run-and-gun style, with great smoke screens.  They are very forgiving - rush in, gun enemy destroyers, and if you win and live, then rush up to a battleship and shove him up with torps... once you get more experience, you can do all of those things better, faster, longer etc. 
  • Cruisers: French cruisers are probably the easiest to play at low-mid tiers. Load HE, shoot slow targets at near your max range to set them on fire - when they repair those fires, set more.  Dodge incoming shells (particularly from battleships) by slamming into full reverse and throwing the rudder over into a hard turn - then accelerate away again before the next salvo comes.  Use your long-range torpedos to shoot down narrow alleys where the enemy is coming from - sometimes you'll get a hit, and it'll be great. More fires!
    • DO NOT start on the British Light Cruiser line (ending in Minotaur) - these ships take detailed understanding and experience of the game mechanics in order to play; things like target selection, map positioning, map awareness, spotting mechanics, AP bounce and shatter mechanics, smoke screens, fire detection range in smoke, sonar and torpedo aim all to be functional. Experienced players even struggle with this line.  Steer clear.  
  • Battleships
    • British: These are sturdy battleships that have excellent HE direct damage and high fire chance - unlike most battleships, shooting HE at things will make them go boom. Because of that, and because they have decent armour protection generally, these battleships are easy to learn: aim well, and profit. 
    • German: Much stronger armour, but wonky/inaccurate main guns - you'll mostly be shooting AP shells at enemy battleships and cruisers.  However, your battleships have good to excellent secondary battery (particularly from Tier 7) and are a defining feature of the line.  Because they are meant to be played up close to the enemy, these ships are easier to aim, take solid damage, and encourage your team to push the capture point you're currently on, helping to win games. 
    • French: Low tier these ships arent anything special; however, by mid tier they become multi-barrelled shotguns and by T8+ they become (less armoured) speed demons - a truly varied line that might help you determine what kind of ship you like playing. I found them fun.  
  • Aircraft carriers: Personally, I suggest avoiding them entirely for now - they are very different to play and hard to do well at.  However, as a general principle Royal Navy carriers are easier to play but less impactful on the battle - seek out enemy ships that have just used DCP in order to set lots of fires that stick.  USN carriers are the most traditional and grasping these will transfer to other nations' carriers - they are a bit tricker to play but have more impact on the battle than Royal Navy carriers.  Japanese carriers do far more direct damage with their AP bombs and heavier torpedo plane squadrons, but they are harder to play and you need to understand AP bomb pen mechanics and search for citadels. German carriers are quite different, are the hardest to play and require a skilled hand as they are unlike the others.  See iChase's video guide to get a grasp of the basics of CV play.  Also, TopTier's example shows how to play low tier carriers well - in particular, where you should drive your carrier to stay alive. 

There are a range of great resources to help new players; both on these forums and on youtube etc; I strongly encourage you to read the following: 

• How to set up your game client to get the information you need to win: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSCb96CLCs4
  • (For brand New Players - a full comprehensive guide) iChase's How to get good at World of Warships - I wish this was around when I started!
  • (For New Players) - Wargaming's 'How It Works' series that explains the game's mechanics - important to learn these as it differs to real life.
  • (For New Players looking to become Intermediate) my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide to understand how to get the best out of your ship every battle and how to deal with enemy ships of the same type. 
  • (For Intermediate players) LittleWhiteMouse's guide to How to take control of your win rate:  https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/75077-how-to-control-your-win-rate/
  • For players at any level who are interested in personalised feedback on a particular battle, get in touch with Lord_Zath and his replay centre - its an amazing service that you should take advantage of.  
  • You are under absolutely no obligation to spend money on this game - it is entirely free to play including at high tiers. 
    • Understanding the economics of WoWS and tips for playing as free-to-play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDgwH2w-k7U
    • Still, if you are interested in buying a premium ship, a discussion on what premium ships are good value for newer players can be found on my New Player Guide Premium Ships for New Players.
      • The second post in this thread has some good advice on how to rapidly become a better player through teamwork and positioning - see Section 3 - its worth a read!

Edited by UltimateNewbie

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,388 posts
21,015 battles

I may be wrong, but with 151 battles, you missed a lot of changes in the game.

I've been active since CBT, and the game is quite different now than then.

Some things have improved some get worse.

Overall it's a different beast. There are much more lines, each with its own feats. Its not difficult to find one that suit you.

Some lines have suffer power creep like the Russian DDs.

Get in and have a look, you might find is amazing or a garbage, hard to tell.

[PVE]
Members
6,946 posts
22,709 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

There is no indication for this other than wishful thinking iirc.

Well...the "when subs drop" may be an exaggeration but my indication that I-401 is on it's way was the transfer of ARP ships to premium status & the article stating that "the collaboration w/ARP continues"...as if it never ended.

I do know...as I have a buddy that was a tester back in the day (he later quit because they took his beloved original Fubuki away w/the line split...& the hydro/radar through islands...but mostly his Fubuki) & he knew that subs were being tested as early as the 1st APR collab (even though they weren't announcing it until they could get them to work so they didn't have to listen to all the whining they presently are about them since way back then...& as this was before Chieftain's video obviously they weren't able to (get them to work) at that time...but he informed me of that fact long before Chieftain's video was released...& as the game stood at that time...they wouldn't have worked for the reasons Chieftain mentioned. But w/the rework & the switch from multiple squads per CV to just 1...wah lah).

Just to clarify...he wasn't involved in the testing of subs personally but he was a tester from a time when the only 3 ships in the game were Yubari Sims & Gremy & you had to buy your way into the testing (by purchasing 1 of those 3 ships)...& he knew at least 1 of the devs really well (he even had some Russian "soda" sent to him 1 time from him...2 different types that tasted more like Guiness than soda to me).

So I knew they were trying to get the I-401 into the game at that time (they even came up w/the original sub icon at that time from the testing they were doing)...but since the "colab continuing" statement I'm almost pretty sure that ARP has been working w/them since then (as opposed to the colab ending way back then which along w/everybody else I assumed too) to make subs work just so they can sell it...& I'm assuming the other ARP subs.

I won't blast my buddy's name on the forums but I would be willing to PM it to you...at least his player name (& you are 1 of the few people on the forums I would do that for) if you are interested.

So just to clarify...no...I do not have any insider info as to the ARP subs being released but the timing of the ARP ships being switched to premiums suggests to me (based on what I am aware of) that proof of concept is far enough along that not only subs but the ARP subs are on their way...though their release may be father in the future than initial release of subs...that was purely speculative on my part.

As for wishful thinking... I'm not really an anime fan (although I'm not anti anime either) so even though I am looking forward to subs...I can take or leave the ARP subs (although I won't ever turn down a free premium or a free commander w/points already...I ground for all the other ARP ships the 1st 2 times & got all the duplicate commanders...but not expecting the subs to be free...but that's only based on all the other ARPs becoming premiums).

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,714 posts
19,912 battles

Yeah, all that - that's a whole load of optimistic, wishful, sun-shining-out-my-aft thinking. To tell people "Surely I401 is coming" based on that is like saying we're getting a very snowy winter because today was 1 degree cooler than average this time of year.

[PVE]
Members
6,946 posts
22,709 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Yeah, all that - that's a whole load of optimistic, wishful, sun-shining-out-my-aft thinking. To tell people "Surely I401 is coming" based on that is like saying we're getting a very snowy winter because today was 1 degree cooler than average this time of year.

Again...not wishful...I could care less if the ARP subs never get released.

Members
1,581 posts
11,083 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

A few months ago Tone and Ise were wishful thinking as well. But now that we're getting them and subs I don't see why WG wouldn't add CV subs at some point.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,714 posts
19,912 battles
1 minute ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Again...not wishful...I could care less if the ARP subs never get released.

And yet, you're telling people that surely I401 will drop soon when subs come

1 minute ago, Rouxi said:

A few months ago Tone and Ise were wishful thinking as well. But now that we're getting them and subs I don't see why WG wouldn't add CV subs at some point.

Tone was actually tested in supertest some time in 2016 or 2017 IIRC. I know. I was there. I tested her.

[PVE]
Members
6,946 posts
22,709 battles
3 minutes ago, Rouxi said:

Were the ARP subs CV subs?

[PVE]
Members
6,946 posts
22,709 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

And yet, you're telling people that surely I401 will drop soon when subs come

If you read "all that" you would have seen that I clarified them dropping "when subs come" was speculative...but I'm pretty confident that they are on their way eventually.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,714 posts
19,912 battles
2 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Were the ARP subs CV subs?

I400 series could launch about as many planes as the average non-hybrid heavy cruiser. Are all those heavy cruisers CV hybrids too?

Iona never launched a plane during the entire anime. I can't speak for the manga since I haven't read all of it, but the collab is with the anime project.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,714 posts
19,912 battles
1 minute ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

If you read "all that" you would have seen that I clarified them dropping "when subs come" was speculative...but I'm pretty confident that they are on their way eventually.

Uh ...

2 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Subs are in testing so the I-401 should be hitting the premium shop when those drop...although at least a few more months is the earliest they are expected to drop.

Seems pretty clear to me what you mean.

Tell you what, I'll idly mention that, say, Missouri, or New Jersey, or Johnston, 'should be hitting the premium shop'. See how people like that?

Members
1,581 posts
11,083 battles
4 minutes ago, Lert said:

I400 series could launch about as many planes as the average non-hybrid heavy cruiser. Are all those heavy cruisers CV hybrids too?

One of the subs bombed California and the Japanese had some plans to use them to bomb the Panama canal so they certainly acted like they were CV even if they weren't all that effective in practice.

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles
5 hours ago, NKato said:

I'm an original beta player from way back when, and after the beta the game grind got so bad...

You have 150 battles... tell us about the grind. 

Is this an alt account or something? 

Fact is if this is your original account you barely got a chance to know the game back then making any differences in it now irrelevant.

Jump in. Try it out. Like it stay. Don’t like it go. 

Edited by _ENO_
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Members
3,425 posts
40,904 battles
25 minutes ago, Lert said:

Iona never launched a plane during the entire anime. I can't speak for the manga since I haven't read all of it, but the collab is with the anime project.

It never did.

[PVE]
Members
6,946 posts
22,709 battles
22 minutes ago, Lert said:

Uh ...

Seems pretty clear to me what you mean.

Tell you what, I'll idly mention that, say, Missouri, or New Jersey, or Johnston, 'should be hitting the premium shop'. See how people like that?

2 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

They did receive "premium" status so all the camos that used to provide zero bonuses now have standard premium camo bonuses (even if just the standard 3%\4%...which they didn't have before).

Subs are in testing so the I-401 should be hitting the premium shop when those drop (just speculative that they will drop when subs drop...but pretty sure they will be on their way eventually)...although at least a few more months is the earliest they (regular subs...not the ARP ones) are expected to drop.

I do believe the other ARP ships were valued at 4500 doubloons but not sure of they are actually available but assuming they will become available again as the article for them becoming premium was worded to say, "Our collaboration w/ARP continues"...this implying that it never ended despite the years of unavailability of them.

Assuming Black Friday...or if not when the subs drop (or both) that they will be available again...although I have no actual insider data one way or the other.

But for sure...the grind will always be there...& don't see any indication of it ever going away (although if you are willing to pay it can be shortened by converting elite XP to FXP...as always).

There...edited (all the bold)...

...but might I point out the word "should"...which is a speculative word & not a statement of fact.