Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

CV play make you excited

34 comments in this topic

[PT]
Members
936 posts
2,938 battles

I've played my tier 6 Ryujo sporadically for a few years, mainly for the mission/objective type of games. Recently I decided to move up and bought the Shokaku. This thing is only marginally better than its smaller bro but I'm not sure what is done to me, it makes me want to be a scourge and PITA when I'm playing.

The last game I had was a good example. 2 cvs on both sides, 2 dds. One of the enemy DD captains in a Shiratsuyu decided at the start to mouth off his discontent at 4cvs in the game and started questioning the sexual preferences of myself and to the other CV. Anyway he was lit up by the second CV soon afterwards all by himself in open water with no smoke and we both swopped in with rocket fighters. Within 30 seconds he was sunk. ..and oh boy did he lose his crap... Despite the brutal insults and accusations I couldn't help but laugh and laugh. 

We both then ganged up on a Tirpitz and quickly crippled him with torps. Then another BB with no help from his team was murdered.

Ended up having a great game with 3 kills and 90k damage (I'm not very good in this class usually) I also actually found myself laughing out loud at the enemy teams misery. In any other boat I might have been more sympathetic but in a cv their tears bring me joy..

Not sure what it is about this class, you lose your compassion. Yet it feels good.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Meh 9

[WORX]
Members
11,383 posts
19,183 battles

My thoughts,

CV play makes me the must chilled person in the whole match.. Its so peaceful. I dont have any threats to worry about compared to other ship classes..

The must relaxed class in the game to play...

• Meh 1

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles

Musashi does this too.

Become very sadistic when abusing T7s with T10 ships.

• Funny 1

Members
312 posts
5,540 battles

You definitely check your sympathy at the door, but many times I end up asking myself "Why would insert player name think it was a good idea to sail off on this flank all alone?" Sometimes it's just common sense things like that, though mouthing off to an enemy CV is just asking for trouble :cap_haloween:

[WOLFC]
Members
1,990 posts
10,430 battles
13 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

This thing is only marginally better than its smaller bro but I'm not sure what is done to me, it makes me want to be a scourge and PITA when I'm playing.

With all due respect, this post says a lot more about the driver than the vehicle.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[INTEL]
Members
3,293 posts
17,921 battles
9 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

Musashi does this too.

Become very sadistic when abusing T7s with T10 ships.

Musashi. One of the best T10’s in the game. 

• Haha 1

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,068 posts
22,585 battles
24 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

I've played my tier 6 Ryujo sporadically for a few years, mainly for the mission/objective type of games. Recently I decided to move up and bought the Shokaku. This thing is only marginally better than its smaller bro but I'm not sure what is done to me, it makes me want to be a scourge and PITA when I'm playing.

The last game I had was a good example. 2 cvs on both sides, 2 dds. One of the enemy DD captains in a Shiratsuyu decided at the start to mouth off his discontent at 4cvs in the game and started questioning the sexual preferences of myself and to the other CV. Anyway he was lit up by the second CV soon afterwards all by himself in open water with no smoke and we both swopped in with rocket fighters. Within 30 seconds he was sunk. ..and oh boy did he lose his crap... Despite the brutal insults and accusations I couldn't help but laugh and laugh. 

We both then ganged up on a Tirpitz and quickly crippled him with torps. Then another BB with no help from his team was murdered.

Ended up having a great game with 3 kills and 90k damage (I'm not very good in this class usually) I also actually found myself laughing out loud at the enemy teams misery. In any other boat I might have been more sympathetic but in a cv their tears bring me joy..

Not sure what it is about this class, you lose your compassion. Yet it feels good.

Not that it really matters but how bad a hit did your karma take after that battle?

[A-I-M]
Members
3,511 posts
23,232 battles
8 minutes ago, Khafni said:

Not that it really matters but how bad a hit did your karma take after that battle?

The problem is solved when you reach zero. 

• Haha 1

[-H-]
Members
203 posts
6,448 battles
34 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

While I commend you on taking out the dd driver (to me nothing is more tiresome than dds running rampant), I have issue with the Tirpitz. Here is where we have a t8 BB being taken down by t6 CVs. This is a perfect example of power creep in the current state of WoWs. Tirpitz is essentially defenseless against ships two tiers below, and THAT should not happen.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,990 posts
10,430 battles
9 minutes ago, Concept6 said:

While I commend you on taking out the dd driver (to me nothing is more tiresome than dds running rampant), I have issue with the Tirpitz. Here is where we have a t8 BB being taken down by t6 CVs. This is a perfect example of power creep in the current state of WoWs. Tirpitz is essentially defenseless against ships two tiers below, and THAT should not happen.

The OP was playing Shokaku, a tier VIII, and the identity of the second CV was never mentioned.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,045 posts
1 hour ago, FullMetal_Inferno said:

You definitely check your sympathy at the door, but many times I end up asking myself "Why would insert player name think it was a good idea to sail off on this flank all alone?" Sometimes it's just common sense things like that, though mouthing off to an enemy CV is just asking for trouble :cap_haloween:

What conclusion I have come to is very close to your observation. 

"You see the strangest people when playing a CV." (Nod to old Honda ad). 

You can learn a lot about how not to play certain ships/tiers. A whole lot. You learn what will and won't work against a CV, or average CV player as most of us would class ourselves. 

Yup, there's a ton of learning achieved with playing a carrier.  I can actually state my game play has improved by playing a carrier. 

• Cool 3

[WPORT]
Members
6,597 posts
11,605 battles

A player talks grief & trash at their opposition and their team's players merely for the ship type they chose to play, which happens to be a CV, (for whatever reason).
Then the trash-talking player gets sunk.

Hmmm.... seems like the CV players "did their job", because it is every ship's job to sink opposing ships and capture map areas.

Nothing personal.  

On the other hand, I had a match with two Tier-4 CV's on each team, recently.  I'm training a Hosho Commander, so there's grinding to be done, eh?

An opposing Danae had gone undetected for a while, and was last seen in the middle of the map, sailing towards our base.
Simultaneously, three of our team's players decide to call attention to this situation independently by either pinging the map or typing a chat message or by sending aircraft to scout the last location.
The Danae was found, and myself and the other friendly CV player double-teamed the Danae.  Beautiful cross-drops of torpedoes, with a bomb sortie thrown in for good measure at some point.
The Danae maneuvers and doesn't make it easy.  Gotta give 'em credit for that, and, for something else.
After they were sunk, they pretty much said "Wow!  That was incredible!" and offered a few words of praise for our display of competency. 
This player was a very good sport and genuinely curious as to how we discovered and sunk their ship.
I gave a brief explanation in chat and sent that player a compliment.  Also said that I figured the Rhein driver and myself had more than a few games of experience between us.

That behavior is exactly the good sportsmanship that I want to see and strive to live by with my own actions.

• Cool 1

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,747 battles
1 hour ago, LunchCutter said:

Playing the game as WG intends...

I have just made it to Midway...was fully thinking that I was going to suffer a bit while I upgraded the planes...

:cap_haloween:

Boy have I been wrong. The STOCK planes are fully capable of surviving quite easily in Tier 10 AA...though your damage output does suffer a little.

Once I get all the planes upgraded...I shall become death, destroyer of worlds...

...and I'm better at Shokaku than I was at Lexington and better at Ryujo than Ranger.

Once I get up to Hakuryu...

:cap_tea:

• Boring 2

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,188 posts
12,090 battles
2 hours ago, Concept6 said:

Re-read it - he was playing Shokaku when he beat up on Tirpitz. He says he finally upgraded from Ryujo.

Also - even when AA wasn't bugged (it's still higher than it should be) unless you are a truly oblivious and/or incompetent Tirpitz player not being engaged by other ships - you shouldn't have any issues vs a Ryujo unless he gets some lucky AP hits. And I say that as someone who plays Tirpitz plenty and is used to the focus from CV's due to weaker AA and my more aggressive tendencies paired with cowardly teams usually means I'm on my own (And for the record when I say 'cowardly' I'm not talking strategic play and positioning that puts them at longer range, I mean hiding on the A/J/1/0 line from the start out of battle letting the reds get 3/4 caps and tryin to let them get 4/4). Even Shokaku while more a threat than Ryujo is not a major threat unless it's an actual good CV player who actually knows how to predict my dodge to counter. Hak is a bit more an issue but that again comes to the age old issue that both in favor for and against CVs and surface ships +/-2 AA has been screwed up for years in both systems. Other than most DD's, +2 surface ships wreck -2 CV planes, and in many cases, other than high tiers where some 8's actually have some very good AA, +2 CV's absolutely troll ships with -2 AA.

Then again - half the problem is that few players (and at times it seems even staff) play both CV and surface ships, and fail to see that playing a CV against a competent opposing team isn't 'relaxed' or 'chill' as some seem to think - more so when you have your team screaming at you what they want you to do even if that's spot a ship with AA that shreds your planes if you do spot it, let alone that yes, in some cases CV's are OP but in others anything but. Even fewer see the fact that CV's aren't actually that much different than a surface ship. The ship is still a ship, the planes are the ships turrets, but they are fairly fragile and an automated system damages/destroys them. It's the same as if an opposing ship angles so you start ramming rounds into the turrets/barbettes to knock them out - while yes you now actually damage the ship (as you used to get 0 pens for that) disabling it's weapons reduces or takes it out of the fight beyond a giant torpedo with secondary guns. 

[SALVO]
Members
25,438 posts
27,395 battles
3 hours ago, FullMetal_Inferno said:

The problem is that there are some players who outright refuse to adapt to changing metas.  CVs vs no CVs are a prime example.  When there are no CVs, that DD could kinda sorta play that way.  But in battles with CVs, you have to learn to adapt your play style to the presence of enemy planes if you want to be successful. Whining about carriers isn't going to make one successful in a DD in CV battles, no matter how loudly you complain.  The RNG gods don't listen to whiners.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
25,438 posts
27,395 battles
7 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

Also - even when AA wasn't bugged (it's still higher than it should be) unless you are a truly oblivious and/or incompetent Tirpitz player not being engaged by other ships - you shouldn't have any issues vs a Ryujo unless he gets some lucky AP hits. And I say that as someone who plays Tirpitz plenty and is used to the focus from CV's due to weaker AA and my more aggressive tendencies paired with cowardly teams usually means I'm on my own (And for the record when I say 'cowardly' I'm not talking strategic play and positioning that puts them at longer range, I mean hiding on the A/J/1/0 line from the start out of battle letting the reds get 3/4 caps and tryin to let them get 4/4). Even Shokaku while more a threat than Ryujo is not a major threat unless it's an actual good CV player who actually knows how to predict my dodge to counter. Hak is a bit more an issue but that again comes to the age old issue that both in favor for and against CVs and surface ships +/-2 AA has been screwed up for years in both systems. Other than most DD's, +2 surface ships wreck -2 CV planes, and in many cases, other than high tiers where some 8's actually have some very good AA, +2 CV's absolutely troll ships with -2 AA.

I think that part of the problem is the removal of odd numbered tier CVs.  Without the odd tier CVs, you have people having to spend more time grinding the even numbered tier CVs (not counting the tier 10's, of course).  Having some CVs that are only +/-1 tier difference between the planes and the AA might make the AA situation a little more bearable on both sides.

[BONKS]
Members
957 posts
3,662 battles
17 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

Tirpitz player not being engaged by other ships - you shouldn't have any issues vs a Ryujo

Ermmmm. It’s an easy target for a Ryujo. Easy.

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,290 battles
49 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The problem is that there are some players who outright refuse to adapt to changing metas. 

No, the problem is that even after you adapt to crap, it's still crap.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Boring 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
5 hours ago, Pugilistic said:

The problem is solved when you reach zero. 

When that pesky Karma number starts rising I just play my Midway and it soon goes back down to a nice mellow zero.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

The problem is that there are some players who outright refuse to adapt to changing metas.  

With no CVs and no radar ships a DD can just sidle up to a BB undetected and torp it with impunity until it sinks. I think that this is what a lot of DD players just want to do. Personally, however, I think that having CVs and radar ships present makes for a much more interesting game in a DD. 

• Cool 2

Members
1,825 posts
52 battles
9 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

Congratulations! You have found the primary reason that makes CV play fun.

3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

With no CVs and no radar ships a DD can just sidle up to a BB undetected and torp it with impunity until it sinks.

You know, a couple of years ago when CVs were basically dead, radar didn't exist and torpedoes were laughably stronger than they are now, WG published a chart of the primary cause for the demise of BBs.

The overwhelming majority of BB damage taken (I believe it was 50%+?) was from AP shells aka from BBs themselves. It was followed by HE in a sizeable percentage, then fires. Torps, flooding, ramming and aircraft practically didn't even register on the chart.

Thus your narrative still holds no basis in reality no matter how often you repeat it. A DD that goes unchecked - and that is assuming it goes unchecked in the first place - and have all the freedom to throw as many torpedoes at capital ships as it wants can still have 0 impact on the match as torpedoes are easily avoided. It is likewise not needed to kill said DD since the game is played around objectives and not TDM.

• Thanks 1
  • Meh 3

Members
3,415 posts
40,645 battles
9 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

Yoda: "Gone to the Dark Side you have. Enjoy the screams of DDs fun you do. Hmmmmmm hmmmmmm."

It's when you start to like it that you become disgustingly good at it. Then the nerfs start rolling in.

In RTS, a few players were really good at it, but it's not because of some special magical powers mind you.

It was ignorance.

BBs or other ships sailed alone.

If you are a CV and had a choice between a group of targets huddled together or a single one all by his lonesome, which one would you hit?

Now fast forward to present day and you and your companion CV ganged up on a lonesome DD and Tirpitz.

They can nerf the ship, but players still do some reckless things like sail alone. Because you did attack the easier targets and you did well for it.

That is playing smart.

Congratulations on doing just that.

That is how you CV.

[WOLFG]
Members
30,625 posts
9,257 battles
6 hours ago, Taichunger said:

No, the problem is that even after you adapt to crap, it's still crap.

I've adapted to the ever-increasing amount of static gameplay, and yeah, it's still crap, so I know how you feel.

I totally support you on this point.

Sign in to follow this