You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
shadragon

Welcome to World of Whack-A-Mole

53 comments in this topic

[SHADR]
Members
72 posts
2,658 battles

The days of World of Warships being even a semi-realistic naval combat simulator are over. 

There are no sweeping maneuvers any more. There is no flanking, screening or counterattack. Angling your ship to maximize armour? Fuggetaboutit. It's just a game of hide behind smoke or cover and shoot the first thing you see into oblivion. Anyone who does try to play a battleship like a battleship is melted to the water line in the most unrealistic way. I don't know of any DD in history that ever took out a BB with guns alone. It's now World of Whack-A-Mole.

As a result, we have DD's burning down battleships with impunity from behind a smokescreen. You can't see them, but they can see you perfectly. Supposedly through relaying of information from others, but this communication is somehow undetectable. In real life, if a ship broadcasts and their radio is triangulated in seconds. Not in WoW though. They can give your position, in real time, to the centimeter. This results in five arcs of shells coming towards you, each hitting perfectly amidships while you see nothing but islands and smoke. 

Sixteen inch guns going off inside a smoke screen don't dissipate the smoke any faster. Ships inside smoke have no negatives to hit other targets as long as someone on their team can see them. 

Six BB HE shells (each with 154 pounds of high explosive in a 1,900 steel body) can explode within meters of a DD with a 14-19mm thick hull and they shrug it off. If there is no shell contact they take zero damage. Yet, in WoW, that DD can start continuous fires on that same battleship with 6" thick armour. DD's can approach a battleship in broad daylight and calm weather, with thirty binocular wielding lookouts surrounding the superstructure, unseen. 

Some obvious game balancing is required. 

First, if you are in smoke, but one of your team can see a target. That target should appear on the smoke bound ship mini-map only. Use that for targeting and nothing else. If you do not have direct LOS to the target, you see it on the mini-map only. If in smoke, all you see is smoke. You don't see terrain, you don't see friendly ships (unless of a proximity detection) you just see a misty haze surrounding you. That's realistic. If in smoke, you are blind as a bat, save for your mini-map.

It cuts both ways. Have a cruiser and use radar; you see the target on the mini-map only as well.  

Firing inside smoke should dissipate that smoke field quicker. 

BB superstructure fires should have minimal HP loss. All combat systems are armoured and isolated, designed to be out of harms way. Breach a citadel, then fires can nom nom nom hit points. However, setting fire to the foredeck should not affect the combat capabilities of the ship. 

Last, BB ammo should have a proximity radius with reduced explosion damage in case of a near miss. A 1,900 pound HE grenade in essence throwing red-hot steel fragments at your DD hull will hurt, badly. I'm a DD driver and I still feel they are too powerful. No ship class should be invincible. 

Any game mechanic that encourages camping should be re-examined. Over the years WoW has gone from maneuver to trench warfare. A solid step backwards in my opinion. 

• Cool 10
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 5
  • Meh 6

[-FUA-]
Members
2,542 posts
14,702 battles
2 minutes ago, shadragon said:

Any game mechanic that encourages camping should be re-examined. Over the years WoW has gone from maneuver to trench warfare. A solid step backwards in my opinion. 

So many good points, but in my opinion, it will fall on deaf ears... most of these sentiments have been expressed.. repeatedly... but the game just continues to becomes less, instead of more... 

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
2,039 posts
14,276 battles
10 minutes ago, shadragon said:

Angling your ship to maximize armour?

Is not, and never was a real tactic in Naval warfare.  Tank warfare, maybe, but never on the seas.  

• Cool 3

[KWF]
Members
6,717 posts
7,321 battles

100% agreed, and in fact I propose we even use absolute historical figures of produced ships. 

So a Yamato and a Musashi versus 75 Gearings.

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
2,039 posts
14,276 battles
11 minutes ago, shadragon said:

Six BB HE shells (each with 154 pounds of high explosive in a 1,900 steel body) can explode within meters of a DD with a 14-19mm thick hull and they shrug it off.

Play the Alaska or other large/supercruisers, they don't get the bb penalty.  

Members
1,701 posts
2,065 battles
34 minutes ago, shadragon said:

There are no sweeping maneuvers any more. There is no flanking, screening or counterattack. Angling your ship to maximize armour? Fuggetaboutit. Anyone who does try to play a battleship like a battleship is melted to the water line in the most unrealistic way.

This is how I win games so I think you're talking out your :etc_swear:.

• Meh 1

[META_]
Members
2,317 posts
8,113 battles
24 minutes ago, shadragon said:

The days of World of Warships being even a semi-realistic naval combat simulator are over. 

There are no sweeping maneuvers any more. There is no flanking, screening or counterattack. Angling your ship to maximize armour? Fuggetaboutit. It's just a game of hide behind smoke or cover and shoot the first thing you see into oblivion. Anyone who does try to play a battleship like a battleship is melted to the water line in the most unrealistic way. I don't know of any DD in history that ever took out a BB with guns alone. It's now World of Whack-A-Mole.

As a result, we have DD's burning down battleships with impunity from behind a smokescreen. You can't see them, but they can see you perfectly. Supposedly through relaying of information from others, but this communication is somehow undetectable. In real life, if a ship broadcasts and their radio is triangulated in seconds. Not in WoW though. They can give your position, in real time, to the centimeter. This results in five arcs of shells coming towards you, each hitting perfectly amidships while you see nothing but islands and smoke. 

Sixteen inch guns going off inside a smoke screen don't dissipate the smoke any faster. Ships inside smoke have no negatives to hit other targets as long as someone on their team can see them. 

Six BB HE shells (each with 154 pounds of high explosive in a 1,900 steel body) can explode within meters of a DD with a 14-19mm thick hull and they shrug it off. If there is no shell contact they take zero damage. Yet, in WoW, that DD can start continuous fires on that same battleship with 6" thick armour. DD's can approach a battleship in broad daylight and calm weather, with thirty binocular wielding lookouts surrounding the superstructure, unseen. 

First, if you are in smoke, but one of your team can see a target. That target should appear on the smoke bound ship mini-map only. Use that for targeting and nothing else. If you do not have direct LOS to the target, you see it on the mini-map only. If in smoke, all you see is smoke. You don't see terrain, you don't see friendly ships (unless of a proximity detection) you just see a misty haze surrounding you. That's realistic. If in smoke, you are blind as a bat, save for your mini-map.

It cuts both ways. Have a cruiser and use radar; you see the target on the mini-map only as well.  

BB superstructure fires should have minimal HP loss. All combat systems are armoured and isolated, designed to be out of harms way. Breach a citadel, then fires can nom nom nom hit points. However, setting fire to the foredeck should not affect the combat capabilities of the ship. 

Last, BB ammo should have a proximity radius with reduced explosion damage in case of a near miss. A 1,900 pound HE grenade in essence throwing red-hot steel fragments at your DD hull will hurt, badly. I'm a DD driver and I still feel they are too powerful. No ship class should be invincible. 

You claim you're a DD driver yet feel they are too powerful. Look into the stats. You suggest action that would render one of  the few ships in the game that can still be used aggressively rather than hiding behind islands (in the trenches) even more difficult to play than now.

How long does it take for an Akizuki to gun down a T10 BB without help? I tried this a couple days ago,  well over 8 minutes into the effort was detected for the third time (hydro) and blatted by 2ndaries. That resulted in 11 fires, most of the damage was healed, and he finished the battle with a Dreadnought. I got a pile of defended ribbons. (and actually a lot more than that, the Battlechat complaining was hilarious)

Splash damage would be interesting, to say the least, from ruptured deformed steel to flooding, to crew kills... oh, wait a second, other than the capt, we have no crews. Never have. Because this has never been a simulator, WG has been clear it's ARCADE.

There have been a couple naval combat sims out there, the average battle (all bots) EVEN with acceleration factored in, were well over 3 hours, and vs real live humans, it would never happen... most of us have lives, jobs, how difficult is it to get 7 people together for a couple hours to run some CBs?? You know, RL and stuff like that.

spud

• Cool 10

[HINON]
Members
9,245 posts
13,933 battles
56 minutes ago, shadragon said:

there were days when it was semi realistic? when was that? before the game became public? because ii dont remember this game being any sort of realistic except in the way ships look

Edited by tcbaker777

[HINON]
Members
9,245 posts
13,933 battles
1 hour ago, shadragon said:

they tried doing that once, it didnt work out very well as everyone knew it wouldnt, do you have any idea how much trolling could have been done with that? "Oh youre a Minotaur trying to smoke up? here, let me take my Yamato and fire and knock half the time for your smoke screen to be up off thereby screwing you over" it was a idiotic idea to even be thought up of on WG's part, luckily they still had some common sense back then, nowadays i wouldnt doubt that theyd put that in even if every single player was against it

Edited by tcbaker777

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,709 battles

They never began.

You had me until you mentioned the DDs.

The only mechanics that encourage camping are the combat mechanics.

Offense ramps up faster than defense, which makes people scared to be hit. Unfortunately, the only way to fix that is to decrease offense or increase defense, both of which would slow combat to a crawl, and make flanking and such somewhat pointless.

But that doesn't mean WG is doing nothing about camping. CVs, and soon subs, provide discouragement to sit still.

Beta Testers
1,830 posts

speaking of cutting both ways, are you just as happy if your BBs cant fire on anything that they themselves havent self spotted and must move in to <6km range to be able to fire at the DDs? None of this I have 20Km range guns so I can shoot from 19KM away. If you change the spotting mechanics... its a blanket change.

• Cool 3

[BEA5T]
Members
5,504 posts
26,109 battles

Not to pile on but..........

This is a hokey, young adult naval, FPS arcade game in a Cooperative, FFA environment.   "Everything" is not real.....  Pick something......anything.  It's not using real naval physics or technologies in this game.  Radar = massive joke as an example.  AA and the lack of Proximity ammunitions and dedicated Flak/AA picket ships.....  ETC......

How bad is it"   Take a 18 inch, rifled gun that shoots a 3,000 pound HE projectile well over 42 KM's (26 miles or so) and hit a DD amidships.....  That one HE round would kill a great many of the crew by over-pressurization and blast effects; the EMP would take the entire ship's electrical systems out; and, the damage.............oh my.   I have posted Harpoon test damage pictures before.......488 pounds of a high tech explosive:

image.thumb.png.4b8c64ce74d07143f0c609849e3ad04f.png

Now, multiply that by six or so to come close to ONE, eighteen inch Yamato rifle.....  Imagine, the 5 and 6 Inch secondaries (127 through 155 mm) that can cause a M1 tank to lose contact with the terrain if they land danger close (been there, done that....)  Then, hitting a DD ten or 20 times and somehow, that DD "just keeps coming?"  Not going to happen......ever.  Even if a DD surprised a BB, that DD CPT would have to clean his uniform pants and pray to the Schwartz, that the BB crews were not at battle stations and ready.......   The AA gun crews would shred that DD to pieces even BEFORE the secondaries started.   Do we want real???  No.

Exposed Torpedoes and high explosives in WW2 seriously made sailors a might nervous:  especially, the IJN because the Long Lances had compressed Oxygen and..............a 1080 pounds of explosives times 2, 3, 4 or 5 others that would sympathetically detonate........and, blow that ship into pieces.......

No, an arcade game; and, that's all there is.  WoTs is even stupider in game mechanics.........  But, what do I know: as a DAT with over two decades of experience......  

Let's stick to wonky game mechanics.............reality, really..................really sucks.

Edited by Asym_KS
  • Cool 3

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
4,090 posts

I don't worry about the arcadey effect in the Wows. Sure the ships are pretty and so forth.

However real life world war two Battleship combat such as it was Validated the USA's armor theory, forget the bow and forget the stern. But everything from the collision bulkhead aft has armor etc where necessary.

DDs have suffered battleship rounds. One had a story in his  Mess Deck room where a BB round penetrated the hull through the space and out the other side of the ship's hull before hitting the water and detonating. The problem is that the DD was so thin that the BB rounds arming system took too long. In milliseconds its already through the DD leaving holes.

There are incessant reports from the war in which cruisers were supposed to be ready to fight but were not and some were sunk in three minutes or less at night when the japanese caught them for a variety of technical problems.

In the Yamato and Musashi Reedit people managed to invest the time and effort to document all of the hits and torp hits that brought down the warship. Yammy in real life endured eveyrthing from 100 pound AP bombs all the way through to the big stuff of 2000 pounds from aircraft mainly on the forward two turrets and armored bow I think 15 in total pretty much battered the turret crews into oblivion. Most of the torps were put in one side. Counter flooding righted the ship at a price but eventually it was sunk after like 15 torps or more ripped that one side wide open.

The south dakota lost power for almost 9 minutes. She was with the USS Washington at the time THE ELITE shooter in the entire navy, in 9 minutes she reduced the enemy BB that was trashing the SD. The benefit came when post damage reviews validated the US Armor layout from such a punishment. The Japanese tried to hard to sink the SD almost a dozen times to the point that she was listed as a classified a ghost BB that kept getting into more fights with the Japanese.

In Normandy the Texas took a german 280 mm round through her stack and it took out a number of her boilers. It goes without saying that the BB's all the way to the DD's present at Normandy and other places where Naval Gun support made all the difference. One Cruiser I think were able to clip off the church steeple about 9 miles inland after it was learned that there was german spotters in that steeple. Not anymore.

One of the UK BB's I think KG5 or the Rodney or even Warspite in the Med landed a round on a German Tank group. That one round jammed the German tank hatches and then set the thing on fire. The british about a half mile away had to sit and endure the high screams as the german tankers roasted to death in a steel coffin from that specific strike it took some time.

Bismarck and what she took in the way of punishment over about a hour of her sinking, there was a future German Count who was manning the port director aft station he was one of the 118 or so survivors of that sinking. He had a report first hand from a Specific engine room hatches being jammed by debris and battle damage trapping 200+ who were entombed and went down with the warship. Eventually the seawater invaded their space under great pressure and killed all of them together in a short time as the bismarck fell to her grave about two miles down.

We paid for many lessons in blood in ww2 and after. The USS arkansas BB was stood on her aft stern end and rotated in one of the last big thermnuclear bomb tests. The armor on the Arkansas was totally punched in on her entire hull on that side. I think it was up to 16 inches plate armor dished in 2 to 5 feet into the interior of the ship. The radiation took care of the rest there was no recovering that one.

Finally but not last. The Japanse handed the Americans a defeat in Pearl. Ultimately they screwed up becuase they disposed of obsolete ships that were later raised in most cases and sent back to the fight. If the Pearl was on full alert and the battle fleet were at sea intercepting the japanese carriers, we would have lost all of them in a day and over 20,000 sailors at sea. 20 knots and so on were liability  against the modern japanese fleet picked for that strike. 9 hours later they attacked Philliphines and repeated the surprise all over again. Then proceeded to sink the prince of wales which was with another cruiser off SIngapore give or take with no air cover. The air finally arrived 8 minutes and could only circle. The wales had suffered many technical problems versus the Bismarck which was able to hammer the wales with damage that never really got repaired. Recent visits to the bismarck on the seamount below showed the warship to be essentially intact where it counts. However she was utterly and totally trashed. Same with the HMS hood which is in three major sections not far away.

I can go on. But anyone with a book reference of BB's will see that information and more. Thats one of the biggest reasons we retired the Iowa class pernamently. They are stricken from Navy rolls and are quietly rusting in museum duty for the next couple of lifetimes. There is no point with today's weapons to fill a Iowa with 2500 men and women and send out to be sunk easily. Her day is finished. However there are innovations like the railgun which shows a great deal of promise among other things. I love the BB as much as anyone. However warfare changes constantly. And at the same time really does not change much.

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
21,648 battles

I'm a DD driver and I still feel they are too powerful. No ship class should be invincible. 

If you think DDs are invincible then you're no DD driver.

Actually, you AREN'T any kind of a DD driver, as about 90% of your DD experience was done in DDs below the tier 5 +2/-2 barrier. So really you have little or no knowledge of how those DDs you're disparaging work in the "real" game. You are terrible at DDs above tier 5, and when I say terrible I mean "WHOA!". 

Maybe you should play a bit more of those tier 6, 7, and 8 DDs you stink so bad in. Maybe you'd learn that DDs aren't "invincible"; a fact I would have thought you would have taken to heart by your abysmal performance in the type so far. Yes, they are harder than they look. And NO, you have no mid or high tier DD skills at all.

You sound like a BB guy who did ok in cruisers and then tried DDs and got hammered. You went back to BBs but kept getting killed in all of them except for a few premiums you did OK in, so now you blame DDs for your lack of skills. Your lack of skills comes from not having any higher tier skills which comes from not playing higher tiers enough. Quit posting, start playing, quit crying. 

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 3

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
4,090 posts

I have lived long enough to see PC Gaming deevolve from simulators with exacting detail and so forth to simple idiot proof acrade shooters dumbed down for the current generation to just jump in and have a go.

They are not there to learn realism. That horse left the barn 20 years ago. What they will learn in any game product is to uses it's weaknesses in design to generate unrealistic  statistics and big peeners. Oh look at me I pwn em all.

Whatever. You can have a warship in Wows with a million hitpoints, a living crew and so forth like a madden football in stats beyond belief to the nth degree of detail. You are still going to be blapped in a short time frame when the red team applies enough firepower. Take the mighty Kremlin. I come around from a mile and change and close in to launch 15 torps into it. if I did it right the Kremlin is deleted along with the 3000 crew and all that blood, treasure and craftmanship that went to building the thing. poof. Next. Now if you Yolo'ed in even the worst WOWs player will blap you. And that will probably influence your team towards defeat.

Its not a realistic sim. You could not build realism into a multiplayer online shoot. You can however try and in some cases do a good job. In one game I did alot of chopper flights shuttling troops to invade enemy held bases kilometers across the map. Flights take up to 15 minutes at times. What does everyone do in the back? Spam all their ammo. Land and dump them and all are killed and respawned waiting for you to take em back in. There is nothing there in the so called community.

I am actually on you tube in the subway map where I am spamming my machine gun into the ceiling above the stairway in battlefield. that was all I did that map because a hacker got into the roof space and was killing all of us with C4 until we see him up there. Its unrealistic and all about stats. Whoopie.

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,358 posts
12,332 battles
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

If you think DDs are invincible then you're no DD driver.

Actually, you AREN'T any kind of a DD driver, as about 90% of your DD experience was done in DDs below the tier 5 +2/-2 barrier. So really you have little or no knowledge of how those DDs you're disparaging work in the "real" game. You are terrible at DDs above tier 5, and when I say terrible I mean "WHOA!". 

Maybe you should play a bit more of those tier 6, 7, and 8 DDs you stink so bad in. Maybe you'd learn that DDs aren't "invincible"; a fact I would have thought you would have taken to heart by your abysmal performance in the type so far. Yes, they are harder than they look. And NO, you have no mid or high tier DD skills at all.

You sound like a BB guy who did ok in cruisers and then tried DDs and got hammered. You went back to BBs but kept getting killed in all of them except for a few premiums you did OK in, so now you blame DDs for your lack of skills. Your lack of skills comes from not having any higher tier skills which comes from not playing higher tiers enough. Quit posting, start playing, quit crying. 

Pretty sure that's not how America works anymore. We have two generations that never stop complaining, one of whom is about 50% justified, usually because of the actions of the other complaining generation. Meanwhile, the other three living generations feel like we are banging our collective heads against a wall. 

• Cool 2

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,763 posts
6,907 battles

Well, you'd need to entirely change the economic model of the game too.  The only ships that could make credits in a match would be DDs, CLs might be able to break even, CAs would cost you money to run and BBs and CVs would hemorrhage money.  Doing that we could have the true relative power of ships modeled.  Most matches would be mostly DDs with two or three cruisers.  BBs would most likely only show up rarely, and then often in a division as clan mates/friends blow a bunch of credits together.

Edited by Helstrem

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,208 posts
20,495 battles

It’s not a historical naval simulator. It’s a war game based on ships and “paper ships” from WW1 to slightly post WW2. 

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
21,648 battles
2 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

Meanwhile, the other three living generations feel like we are banging our collective heads against a wall.

Let me know how your head feels AFTER this Tuesday rolls by. Personally, I'm terrified that either one will win.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,358 posts
12,332 battles
7 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Let me know how your head feels AFTER this Tuesday rolls by. Personally, I'm terrified that either one will win.

I know we aren't supposed to talk politics on here, but I am pretty sure it's a choice between a bad candidate and a terrifying candidate. The funny thing is, the people who already decided will immediately assume the other guy is the terrifying one. Then again, anyone who honestly thinks I am calling their candidate the terrifying one should seriously ask themselves why they are voting for them in the first place. 

Sorry mods, that was about as apolitical and generic a response as I seriously could give on this one.

Edited by Shannon_Lindsey
  • Cool 2

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,709 battles

Its not a realistic sim. You could not build realism into a multiplayer online shoot. 

I take it you never played World War 2 Online? I've heard war described as "days of boredom punctuated by minutes of sheer terror". WW2OL did that splendidly, your clan (combined with others) would spend hours staging for a major push, bringing equipment from the spawns of multiple towns and cities, (on a 1/8 scale map of Western Europe, you could spend half an hour or more bringing a Matilda to the staging are) for a massive battle, featuring hundreds of players, along a several mile front, that might not even last 30 minutes. And all the vehicles were fairly accurately modeled, both graphically and mechanically.

You can certainly do a sim shooter, it just becomes a question of why would you, given that putting the same (or fewer) resources into a more "arcadey" experience nets you an exponentially greater return?

That's why PC gaming has "devolved", because a wider variety of people are gamers now, and you aim at the market that exists, not the one you wish existed. 

It only used to be us geeks and nerds that were gamers lol, (and a lot of us were very picky) now it's gone mainstream.

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles
2 hours ago, shadragon said:

Angling your ship to maximize armour?

2 hours ago, comtedumas said:

Is not, and never was a real tactic in Naval warfare.  Tank warfare, maybe, but never on the seas.  

They made the mistake of making angled on the horizontal armor the strongest when ships were designed to take damage through the broadside and not the bow/stern. The only way to do git rid of that would be to drastically increase damage from hits and at the same time drastically reduce the hit rate making having all your guns online more valuable.

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,709 battles
25 minutes ago, Umikami said:

I dunno, I'd be more terrified if neither of them wins and the question is left up in the air.

At least you're on the other side of the world, and not just across the river lol.

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 1