You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sabene

CV Karma - a proposal

129 comments in this topic

[Y0L0W]
Members
572 posts
18,535 battles

CV are more balanced than they used to be but most people in the game hate CVs for the constant annoyance and a ship’s inability to do return damage to a CV. Returning negative karma is the only other option. 

• Cool 27
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 7

[-VT-]
Members
739 posts
34,172 battles
2 minutes ago, Bortt said:

CV are more balanced than they used to be but most people in the game hate CVs for the constant annoyance and a ship’s inability to do return damage to a CV. Returning negative karma is the only other option. 

And this is exactly what is wrong.   Players use karma as retaliation when dealing with CVs.  CV player plays well and he gets karma-blapped almost automatically.  

WG put in karma to reward good play and punish poor play (or afk or whatever).  Karma was not meant to punish good play.

Karma works...except with regards to CVs.   This should be corrected.

• Cool 3
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 12

Beta Testers
754 posts
5,281 battles

Bad Karma because you play a broken class and most people are selfish in a broken class.

To be fair CV main players are the most hated player in the game in random battles. (pending sub launch into random battles) Thats because in order to make the CV class playable they nerfed all other classes AA and will be doing it again soon with a AA cycle cool down/ warm up for DD players.

As to Karma.....it has No meaning in the game. You get nothing if you have high Karma and you get nothing for zero karma. So the argument can be make that Karma in game is useless to start with.

WG needs to fix CV's first, CV players need to stop focusing on damage in a game and be more of a support role. WG needs to make CV be able to be de planed once again as punishment for being reckless with planes.

Until them expect to be hated.

• Cool 22
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 8

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,056 posts

You know karma used to matter. You may remember way back when, back before time, in a dark, desolate area of the universe, players used to TK players. Suddenly, a light came from the east, shining down upon a newly proposed policy. 

"If you go <fill in the blank> days without an incidence, gifts will rain down upon you from corporate HQ." 

IOW, if you behaved yourself, WoWS gave you a free gift. 

Think back - do YOU remember? 

tenor.gif

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 2

[TRU]
Members
695 posts
20,113 battles

Unfortunately OP there are players that literally thrive on griping other players, especially when it comes to CVs.  Really, you should just take note of the griefer's name and report if necessary. Can't do much more than that, nor should you lose sleep over it.  

Case in point, I was around 370 karma until I started the campaign with American carriers.  After many Midway rounds I saw that my karma went down considerably.  I also noticed that about every 5th match there was a player (on either team) who announced that everyone should report myself and the red CV for being cancer.  Usually I didn't have to reply to them as other players jumped on them for being childish which was refreshing.  

It is akin to other players complaining that DDs are cheap ninja stealth classes, or BBs should not be able to one shot broadside cruisers.  

• Cool 5
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 2

[-VT-]
Members
739 posts
34,172 battles
1 minute ago, Battleship_Constitution said:

As to Karma.....it has No meaning in the game. You get nothing if you have high Karma and you get nothing for zero karma. So the argument can be make that Karma in game is useless to start with.

This is baloney, BC.

Karma shows a good player and a good teammate.  In most games the players with the high karma are the better players and they show out as such.  If they are on your team you can depend on them.  If they are on the red team you can bet they are a higher threat than most.

Do you get a physical reward for high karma?  No.  Do you get punished for low karma?  No.

But do you get respect and identified as a good teammate and dependable hand in the game?  You bet you do.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 5

Beta Testers
754 posts
5,281 battles
23 minutes ago, Bortt said:

Explain how they are more balanced?

Sure the lack of being able to cross drop is gone....but thats about the only real change.

Here is a list of what was changed to Help the CV be a cancer to the game again

1. AA nerfed 3 times and expected a 4th coming.
2. Auto usage of consumables for the ship
3. With AA nerf. AA builds are useless
4. Def AA consumable useless on most ships.
5. dual purpose guns are now useless
6. The AI on flack can be tricked
7. Plane factory on board the CV

Notice not a single change to the CV all had to be done to the rest of the classes. So i really dont see the "balance" here.

• Cool 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 3

Beta Testers
754 posts
5,281 battles
2 minutes ago, Sabene said:

This is baloney, BC.

Karma shows a good player and a good teammate.  In most games the players with the high karma are the better players and they show out as such.  If they are on your team you can depend on them.  If they are on the red team you can bet they are a higher threat than most.

Do you get a physical reward for high karma?  No.  Do you get punished for low karma?  No.

But do you get respect and identified as a good teammate and dependable hand in the game?  You bet you do.

No one else can see that karma but you. Its useless.

• Thanks 3

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles
28 minutes ago, Sabene said:

I find myself not wanting to play a CV much.  Why?

Because the attitude of players in game toward CVs is horrible.

Great success.

• Cool 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

[APEZ]
Members
2,516 posts
8,824 battles

Ive read all the threads,  constantly,  about broken CVs and have never seen actual data to support the class being over powered or broken, none.

Yes you occasionally get an OP ship but that happens with many other classes as well,

You can argue that the perception of "no counter play" makes for a feels bad kind of experience, but you can't use that to claim they are OP or Broken - those are two different things happening. 

Facts don't care about your feelings 

Edited by why_u_heff_to_be_mad
  • Cool 7
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 10

[-VT-]
Members
739 posts
34,172 battles

Yes, you can see another player's karma.  Wows-monitor is one mod that does such.  I believe there is another.

And, yes, opposing players with high karma generally are the better players on the red team AND they get focused.  But that is normal and okay.

• Meh 1

[GOB]
[GOB]
Members
2,381 posts

The silly beta boy vent system called Karma needs to go for every class.

DDs get dinged for capping too soon and dying... Capping to slowly and living ( even if they win ) not spotting for island humpers while dodging CV , Radars etc.

Cruiser get Dinged for not instantly killing DDs and shooting down all planes in the first 3 minutes.

BBs get dinged for shooting from the back where they (some) belong OR For in close fighters brawling away and tanking damage doing the push thing.

Its all a silly thing that needs to go away.. 

• Cool 5
  • Thanks 2

[-VT-]
Members
739 posts
34,172 battles
6 minutes ago, Battleship_Constitution said:

No one else can see that karma but you. Its useless.

Yes, yes they can.  And do.  

[-VT-]
Members
739 posts
34,172 battles
2 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

The silly beta boy vent system called Karma needs to go for every class.

DDs get dinged for capping too soon and dying... Capping to slowly and living ( even if they win ) not spotting for island humpers while dodging CV , Radars etc.

Cruiser get Dinged for not instantly killing DDs and shooting down all planes in the first 3 minutes.

BBs get dinged for shooting from the back where they (some) belong OR For in close fighters brawling away and tanking damage doing the push thing.

Its all a silly thing that needs to go away.. 

A new argument!

I'll let you manage that one.  heh

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
754 posts
5,281 battles
7 minutes ago, mpwardawg said:

Unfortunately OP there are players that literally thrive on griping other players, especially when it comes to CVs.  Really, you should just take note of the griefer's name and report if necessary. Can't do much more than that, nor should you lose sleep over it.  

Case in point, I was around 370 karma until I started the campaign with American carriers.  After many Midway rounds I saw that my karma went down considerably.  I also noticed that about every 5th match there was a player (on either team) who announced that everyone should report myself and the red CV for being cancer.  Usually I didn't have to reply to them as other players jumped on them for being childish which was refreshing.  

It is akin to other players complaining that DDs are cheap ninja stealth classes, or BBs should not be able to one shot broadside cruisers.  

Ahh see here is the deal.

DD's caught a stealth fire nerf....well all classes did. Biggest complaint from all classes about the DD....Stealth fire. Boom fixed. As a BB main I dont even mind DD's got the "cant be penned by a BB" thing. Forces us to use HE every once in a while.

CA's CAN and are deleted when sailing broadside by a BB However no change made.....And to be fair not a single complaint about it from CA mains.

so your last point means nothing when These were fixed or not an issue to start with.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
754 posts
5,281 battles
6 minutes ago, Sabene said:

Yes, you can see another player's karma.  Wows-monitor is one mod that does such.  I believe there is another.

And, yes, opposing players with high karma generally are the better players on the red team AND they get focused.  But that is normal and okay.

And you need a MOD to see it. I dont run that mod or care to do so. And willing to bet most dont as well. Again Usless if its not in the game to start.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,750 posts
15,279 battles

Karma is pretty valueless, the only thing karma generates is... the ability to use more karma points in a day. I doubt many people even know they have it as the value is hardly obvious, and I doubt many people use any monitors.

I wouldn't worry about it.

When karma was announced WG suggested they might just use it for something beyond, well, a small safety valve for rage. For instance they mentioned maybe sending people with lots of 'plays poorly' results additional links to 'how it works' videos or similar.

Maybe WG do use it to track the volume of dislike carriers generate, they don't seem to act on it if so and have always refused to release any generalized karma information.

[LANCE]
Members
831 posts
6,178 battles

Easiest way to deal with it OP is simply to get down to 0 karma points and then you don’t have to worry about losing any! That’s where I’m at now! Most I ever had was about 60-ish

It used to bother me (for a very short period of time) but that got fixed when I lost 3 karma points for not providing smoke for a 3 man division ... the stupidity of it was I was in a Halland so no smoke to give! That’s when I finally realized what a complete waste of time it was! My last 2 karma pts disappeared playing a DD when I was accused of “kill stealing” by hitting a BB for its last ~24k HP with a full torp spread! Lol

As for it mattering as to whether it makes you a good player or not? I don’t use MMM or any other monitor that would show it (I’m guessing there’s plenty others that don’t either) so it’s a mute point with me and others that don’t use it!

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,747 battles

Welcome to WoWs...where the developer releases broken content to incentivize monetization...

...and popular CCs trumpet blatant misinformation in order to manipulate the game meta.

Karma imbalance is just a small consequence of these much larger issues.

• Haha 2
  • Boring 2

[GGWP]
Members
134 posts
3,985 battles

1. Karma is useless

2. You deserve to lose karma if you play cv because playing cv makes 22 other player's games less fun

3. I'm happy to see that reporting cv players is making players such as OP not play cv

• Cool 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 10

[RKLES]
Members
964 posts

You grief by playing  CV, expect negative karma.

Maybe the community is trying to tell you something.

• Cool 18
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 9