Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ga1

Aircraft in torpedo attack squdron

7 comments in this topic

[A-M-F]
Members
8 posts
5,018 battles

I was in a game where the attacking torp squadron consisted of 5 planes.  I thought that the largest squadron was 3, how do you get more than that?

[KSC]
Members
784 posts
10,876 battles
49 minutes ago, ga1 said:

I was in a game where the attacking torp squadron consisted of 5 planes.  I thought that the largest squadron was 3, how do you get more than that?

As tiers go up, so do squadron sizes.  That being said, the largest amount of torpedo planes that can "attack" at a single time is 4 planes per attack from the Kaga.  The squadron is 12 planes when leaving the CV, so that's up to 3 attacks (assuming no plane loss).

[WPORT]
Members
6,589 posts
11,600 battles
1 hour ago, ga1 said:

An entire squadron takes-off from the deck of the CV.
The total number of planes in the squadron is greater than the number of planes that perform a single attack run.
If planes are lost during an attack run, some of the remaining squadron may try to "fill-in" in order to complete the attack run at "full strength" or as close as possible under the circumstances.

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,289 posts
12,973 battles

Largest attacking flights of torpedo bombers belong to Kaga at 4 each.

Most torpedoes that a carrier can put in the water at a time is 6, which is 3 planes dropping 2 torps each from Midway.

Number of planes flying over can be anywhere from 12 to 1,  depending on the CV. Assuming you were seeing the planes that were not part of the attacking flight, there could easily be 5.

If you were counting torpedoes in the water, it would have to be a Midway, and either a torpedo hit something on it's way to you (possibly before it armed, so no boom), RNGsus put 2 torps on top of each other so it looked like 1 torp, or RNGsus stuck a torp way out on the edge of the drop cone, and you didn't notice it.

Edited by SgtBeltfed

[SEAST]
Members
53 posts
9,722 battles
On 10/31/2020 at 1:13 PM, SgtBeltfed said:

Most torpedoes that a carrier can put in the water at a time is 6, which is 3 planes dropping 2 torps each from Midway.

The number is now 8. 2 planes from FDR drop 4 torps each.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,289 posts
12,973 battles
15 hours ago, _Thanagor_ said:

The number is now 8. 2 planes from FDR drop 4 torps each.

Ah, didn't know about that one. But it's still an even number.

Sign in to follow this