Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ScoobsTank

Did the Texas get nerfed?

38 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

91
[TBF]
Beta Testers
141 posts
5,094 battles

Been away from the game for a while and tried playing the texas and W in da  F happened to its AA. It was pretty much a trash ship with only good aa as an offset, now it doesnt even get that? Did it get something in return?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,492
[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,396 posts
4,198 battles

There was a CV rework that was also an AA rework. The effect of this rework was that AA does not do a whole lot anymore.

However, according WG, AA is "fine".

  • Cool 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
994
[WOLFC]
Members
1,990 posts
10,430 battles

Texas was not nerfed. Ever since the CV rework went live there have been constant changes to the AA (as well as CV) mechanics. AA works completely differently than pre-rework, and even post rework the system has undergone several major tweaks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
91
[TBF]
Beta Testers
141 posts
5,094 battles

but it went from 5k aa to 3.5?  How is that not anything but a straight nerf?  Now you might shoot down 1 plane before they launch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
222
[-KAK-]
Members
607 posts
11,755 battles
6 minutes ago, ScoobsTank said:

Been away from the game for a while and tried playing the texas and W in da  F happened to its AA. It was pretty much a trash ship with only good aa as an offset, now it doesnt even get that? Did it get something in return?

 

Like AJTP89 noted, you probably missed the AA rework. It brought major changes to how AA performs.

 

Unfortunately, you'll find that with the AA rework, a lot of former AA ships (e.g. Texas and Atlanta) are shadows of their former glory. Something to keep in mind as you play them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,259
[WORX]
Members
11,381 posts
19,183 battles
8 minutes ago, ScoobsTank said:

Been away from the game for a while and tried playing the texas and W in da  F happened to its AA. It was pretty much a trash ship with only good aa as an offset, now it doesnt even get that? Did it get something in return?

 

AA nerf happened to everyone back in the 0.8.0 patch series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
91
[TBF]
Beta Testers
141 posts
5,094 battles
Just now, Navalpride33 said:

AA nerf happened to everyone back in the 0.8.0 patch series.

every ship had its aa nerfed from 5 to 3.5?

The texas only did one thing (aa) and they stripped that away and its not a nerf?

 

With the ez mode OP cv's in every battle I see why none of the people I used to play are no longer playing.


Thanks guys

  • Cool 4
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
994
[WOLFC]
Members
1,990 posts
10,430 battles
8 minutes ago, ScoobsTank said:

but it went from 5k aa to 3.5?  How is that not anything but a straight nerf?  Now you might shoot down 1 plane before they launch.

Because aircraft and AA work completely differently post-rework. You’re comparing apples and oranges.

One of the changes that was made was a standardization of AA range largely based on the specific weapon system. 5.8km range is typically found on USN ships with 127mm dual-purpose artillery. German ships, in contrast, typically have either 5.2 or 6.0 km range depending on their secondary/AA armament  (105 or 128mm, respectively). IJN 100mm has 5.8km range, etc. Texas has no dual-purpose artillery - her AA is composed entirely of 20mm, 40mm, and 76mm guns.

Edited by Nevermore135

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,213
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,103 posts
14,728 battles
18 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

There was a CV rework that was also an AA rework. The effect of this rework was that AA does not do a whole lot anymore.

However, according WG, AA is "fine".

The Texas is still low on the priority list for any smart CV player as attacking it will be painful. What was lost like all ships was the ability to extend the range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,124
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,936 posts

Look at the DPS it does in it's short range and compare it to the DPS of other BBs with longer range AA.  Not saying it's an AA monster (it never was), but it's not exactly defenseless.

For example, the Congo has 78 continuous AA damage.  The Konig has 112. The Iron Duke has 73.

The Texas has 381.  It doesn't have long range AA like some of the others but it does it's damage close in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
91
[TBF]
Beta Testers
141 posts
5,094 battles
3 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Because aircraft and AA work completely differently post-rework. You’re comparing apples and oranges.

One of the changes that was made was a standardization of AA range largely based on the specific weapon system. 5.8km range is typically found on USN ships with 127mm dual-purpose artillery. German ships, in contrast, typically have either 5.2 or 6.0 km range depending on their secondary/AA armament  (105 or 128mm, respectively). IJN 100mm has 5.8km range, etc. Texas has no dual-purpose artillery - her AA is composed entirely of 20mm, 40mm, and 76mm guns.

Like I said they took a premium ship you BOUGHT just to shoot down planes (because its horrible at everything else) and made it totally worthless at shooting down planes and gave it nothing to offset that stripping of its only ability. But not nerfed at all, gotcha.

 

I understand what you were saying, but that doesnt make it right.

Since it looks like they have just catered to the ez mode cv's I might rei-install in a year or two. Maybe they stop letting cv's totally ruin the game by then. But based on the last changes, I doubt it.


Thanks again for the quick and informative replies.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,124
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,936 posts
2 minutes ago, ScoobsTank said:

Like I said they took a premium ship you BOUGHT just to shoot down planes

 

As a long time CV player, from the beginning, Texas was never super scary.  It's going to hurt, it's not a slouch, but it never was extraordinary.

Also, they have given the thing away for free about 12 times now.

  • Meh 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
994
[WOLFC]
Members
1,990 posts
10,430 battles
1 minute ago, ScoobsTank said:

Like I said they took a premium ship you BOUGHT just to shoot down planes (because its horrible at everything else) and made it totally worthless at shooting down planes and gave it nothing to offset that stripping of its only ability. But not nerfed at all, gotcha.

 

I understand what you were saying, but that doesnt make it right.

Since it looks like they have just catered to the ez mode cv's I might rei-install in a year or two. Maybe they stop letting cv's totally ruin the game by then. But based on the last changes, I doubt it.


Thanks again for the quick and informative replies.

The entire system changed. There is no way ANY ship was going to be unaffected, regardless of its status as a premium.

WG has made it pretty clear that no ship is immune from global mechanics changes. And as others have said, Texas is still a painful target for CVs to strike. The days of “no fly zones” are over, because CVs don’t have the alpha strike they had in the RTS days. The current AA system is based around the idea of attrition. A strong AA ship, sailing alone, will in most cases still be struck. However, a follow-up strike is unlikely, and the CV player will not be able to afford repeated attacks. Two or more ships sailing near each other is another story, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
91
[TBF]
Beta Testers
141 posts
5,094 battles
3 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

As a long time CV player, from the beginning, Texas was never super scary.  It's going to hurt, it's not a slouch, but it never was extraordinary.

Well it wasn't like it would just go swat everything down, it was good just not great. But you could at least help your team mates. Now with the super short range it cant even defend itself from planes let alone do anything to help the team.

I was just under the impression that wg didnt straight out nerf premium tanks and ships. But I guess they dont care how bad they shaft people now.

 

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,124
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,936 posts
6 minutes ago, ScoobsTank said:

Well it wasn't like it would just go swat everything down, it was good just not great. But you could at least help your team mates. Now with the super short range it cant even defend itself from planes let alone do anything to help the team.

I was just under the impression that wg didnt straight out nerf premium tanks and ships. But I guess they dont care how bad they shaft people now.

 

Texas will shoot some planes down.  Like I said it's not defenseless and close in, it throws up some damage.

WG didn't directly nerf the Texas, it just got adjusted along with every other ship in the game. 

WG has directly nerfed premium ships in this game, by name, in patch notes, a good number of times.  Ironically enough the last ones were CVs in the months after the CV rework launched.  Kaga, and GZ were targeted by name in patch notes for nerfs, after they were sold again under the rework.

Kaga and the GZ directly had their dive bombs nerfed and then all the CV planes speed were normalized, slowing down the GZ's signature fastest planes in the game, on the global change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
222
[-KAK-]
Members
607 posts
11,755 battles
6 minutes ago, ScoobsTank said:

I was just under the impression that wg didnt straight out nerf premium tanks and ships. But I guess they dont care how bad they shaft people now.

WG won't rebalance specific premiums. They've considered it before, but there was a major outcry from the playerbase.

Class-wide (e.g. CV nerfs) or game-wide (e.g. AA rework) changes however are completely fair game to them. Heck, some of the changes they made weren't even nerfs to Texas directly, it was just a nerf to a captain skill you might have used on Texas.

 

Edit: As much as I hate what they've done to some ships (Looking at Atlanta mostly), WG needs SOME room to make changes to game mechanics, else you'd never be able to progress the state of the game. Consider this - AFT's range boost used to apply to AA mounts. It doesn't anymore. I had it on my Atlanta - Does that count as a nerf to a premium ship? If so, WG can't really touch any of the AA captain skills ever again. You can carry this logic through to the point where once something's in game, WG can't ever touch it again.

Edited by TheOmegaDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,124
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,936 posts
7 minutes ago, TheOmegaDuck said:

WG won't rebalance specific premiums. They've considered it before, but there was a major outcry from the playerbase.

Class-wide (e.g. CV nerfs) or game-wide (e.g. AA rework) changes however are completely fair game to them. Heck, some of the changes they made weren't even nerfs to Texas directly, it was just a nerf to a captain skill you might have used on Texas.

See above.  They have and they did.

This was after they relented on the tier change idea.  They called out several premium CVs by name and nerfed them, after they were sold to players, during the months after 8.0 launched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,452
[REVY]
Members
8,088 posts
6,118 battles
17 minutes ago, ScoobsTank said:

Like I said they took a premium ship you BOUGHT just to shoot down planes (because its horrible at everything else) and made it totally worthless at shooting down planes and gave it nothing to offset that stripping of its only ability.

No refunds.

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
222
[-KAK-]
Members
607 posts
11,755 battles
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

See above.  They have and they did.

This was after they relented on the tier change idea.  They called out several premium CVs by name and nerfed them, after they were sold to players, during the months after 8.0 launched.

I'm not talking about CVs in the wake of the CV rework. I was thinking more along the lines of putting Giulio at T6, nerfing Missouri's credit rate, or things like Kamikaze, Kutuzov, and Enterprise once it was finally removed.

Any examples of those?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,124
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,936 posts
11 minutes ago, TheOmegaDuck said:

I'm not talking about CVs in the wake of the CV rework. I was thinking more along the lines of putting Giulio at T6, nerfing Missouri's credit rate, or things like Kamikaze, Kutuzov, and Enterprise once it was finally removed.

Any examples of those?

There were some detailed posts that I have read in the past that claimed to be a summary of every premium ship that WG nerfed either directly or that got caught in global nerfs.  I don't know of the validity of it though.  The posts were walls of text, I honestly didn't try to fact check them.

I know for a fact of the CV ones though and they were under the preface that the CVs where still being balanced after they were sold.  I was aware of it and I was fine with it when I purchased them but the sales page never actually said anything about it.

Unless you were an avid reader of the forums, you could have purchased several hundred dollars worth of premium CVs and had no idea in the world that they were still up nerfs.

The sales page didn't "have" to say anything about it, because WG's official stance in the EULA and purchase agreement, is that they can and will change anything at any time.  They just tend "generally" not to with premium ships, of their own choosing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
91
[TBF]
Beta Testers
141 posts
5,094 battles
1 minute ago, TheOmegaDuck said:

WG won't rebalance specific premiums. They've considered it before, but there was a major outcry from the playerbase.

Class-wide (e.g. CV nerfs) or game-wide (e.g. AA rework) changes however are completely fair game to them. Heck, some of the changes they made weren't even nerfs to Texas directly, it was just a nerf to a captain skill you might have used on Texas.

Well I would call stripping the aa from 5 to 3.5 and making it totally worthless against planes to be a straight nerf to the texas. Its not like they left it at 5, they took a ship that was premium and bought only for aa and made totally worthless at aa by shortening its range. Now a ship that used to stop planes shoots down maybe 1.

 

Like I said I see why everybody I used to play with is gone. 
From what I an see they have let the cv ez mode take over and pretty much ruin the game, they must have done a bunch of crying. I'll just re-uninstall and check back later, maybe it will get better

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
91
[TBF]
Beta Testers
141 posts
5,094 battles
5 minutes ago, Sventex said:

No refunds.

Oh I wasnt asking for a refund, I know better then that :)

But i will never buy another ship, fool me once..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,452
[REVY]
Members
8,088 posts
6,118 battles
Just now, ScoobsTank said:

Oh I wasnt asking for a refund, I know better then that :)

But i will never buy another ship, fool me once..........

My recommendation?  If your interested historical ships, consider commissioning a museum quality ship model instead.  WGing can't possibly ruin it if it's a physical object.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,607
[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
Members
1,232 posts
19,419 battles

They stole all of the TEXAS AA in the rework, they even removed her flak bursts. She's now a valueless ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×