You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
_JohnWick_

HOW TO GET YOU A WIN?????

49 comments in this topic

Members
95 posts
2,649 battles

I have been debating whether or not to start this thread, because all the typical answers will be shot back at me....

BUT HOW DO YOU WIN??????  especially in a BB????

Almost every game in the last 3 days has me doing over 100k damage and NO WINS!!!!  I'm not the greatest player but MY GOD, some of my teammates are BRAIN DEAD!!!!!!

THE FRUSTRATION LEVEL IS THRU THE GOD DAMN ROOF RIGH NOW.

• Cool 7
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1

Members
3,797 posts
13,766 battles

Just unlucky draw of teams it looks like.

You are doing good dmg and at least trading with 1:1 kd. 

Only suggestions make sure to kill DDs when given the chance (even in a BB, if you arent already doing that).

Div with other good players, to gain some control over the competency of your teammates. 

[WORX]
Members
11,394 posts
19,183 battles
1 minute ago, _JohnWick_ said:

I have been debating whether or not to start this thread, because all the typical answers will be shot back at me....

Almost every game in the last 3 days has me doing over 100k damage and NO WINS!!!!  I'm not the greatest player but MY GOD, some of my teammates are BRAIN DEAD!!!!!!

Ok channel that frustration to a goal... While playing a BB, try to sink EVERY cruiser in all the matches you partake in within 10min or less.

Now, I am not saying you'll win every match you partake in. Your odds of your team winning "should" go up considerably.

If you or your BB core let a cruiser alive for the whole 20 min, BB fail even if you win the match.

Try it.

• Boring 1

[5D]
Members
1,102 posts
14,283 battles

100k at t10 is not even one BB HP with Heal , trading 1:1 is not enough , you want to win you need to pump the number  , more dmg and more kill , remember there no team  it only you versus 23 other player

• Boring 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,789 posts
16,929 battles

Remember something else as well. DD’s are the most important class of ships in the game IMO. Once all your DD’s are gone with nothing to show for it. It’s going to be a VERY steep hill to climb.

• Thanks 2

[0456]
Members
3,822 posts
10,091 battles
38 minutes ago, _JohnWick_ said:

Well it looks for a start like you were trying your luck recently with FDG which you don't have a ton of experience in- in a tier that you don't have a lot of experience in. FDG is like your 12th most played battleship- 28th most played ship in general terms. So expecting you're going to bust it out and do well is a stretch. 

If you really want to shift luck more in your favour I recommend a ship you've played a bit more often in a tier where you have a bit more experience. 

May I recommend North Carolina? 

Edited by _ENO_

Members
95 posts
2,649 battles
28 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Do your games look something like this?

59DDA9BF-C540-4B44-89C4-57F1A33BE725.jpeg

95F5CD62-F172-4555-A1C8-002A5335FDE0.jpeg

FEC25478-F2DC-4D53-A9D4-AD57924C6CB8.jpeg

Yes exactly like that.... or top tier bb's sitting at the back and sniping... not pushing in.... drives me crazy.

Members
95 posts
2,649 battles
1 minute ago, _ENO_ said:

Well it looks for a start like you were trying your luck recently with FDG which you don't have a ton of experience in- in a tier that you don't have a lot of experience in. FDG is like your 12th most played battleship- 28th most played ship in general terms. So expecting you're going to bust it out and do well is a stretch. 

If you really want to shift luck more in your favour I recommend a ship you've played a bit more often in a tier where you have a bit more experience. 

May I recommend North Carolina? 

I just got FDG... so i'm trying to grind it to tier 10.

As far as the NC goes, I got the IOWA recently so I'm not really focusing on tier 8 bbs unless its the MASSA i'm playing.

[0456]
Members
3,822 posts
10,091 battles
1 minute ago, _JohnWick_ said:

As far as the NC goes, I got the IOWA recently so I'm not really focusing on tier 8 bbs unless its the MASSA i'm playing.

You asked how to win. Playing new ships in less familiar territory isn't the way- 

Anyway, I gave a suggestion- take it or leave it. 

Looks like you left it. 

Edited by _ENO_
  • Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,789 posts
16,929 battles
2 minutes ago, _JohnWick_ said:

Yes exactly like that.... or top tier bb's sitting at the back and sniping... not pushing in.... drives me crazy.

I try to get the CV NB stars for our clan. When it starts out with a couple games like that. It’s setting a trend. The only time I push on is when I’m pressed for time. I play knowing I’m in a unfavorable trend of MM. (there will be no wins)

I saved those for reference. Awhile back. I believe the topic of games ending under ten minutes was discussed and a “official” reply was either they don’t exist or very rarely exist. 

I’m here to tell you. Once your DD’s are gone, especially like those I shared with nothing to show for it. They are shorter than ten minute games. They are unwinnable. All you can do is make lemonade out of lemons and farm damage. Can’t change the future of the match outcome. You can mitigate the damage by trying to help your BXP.

Members
3,797 posts
13,766 battles
2 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

I’m here to tell you. Once your DD’s are gone, especially like those I shared with nothing to show for it. They are shorter than ten minute games. They are unwinnable. All you can do is make lemonade out of lemons and farm damage. Can’t change the future of the match outcome. You can mitigate the damage by trying to help your BXP.

They arent completely unwinnable. But it depends on the intelligence/capabilities of the remaining players. You have to try to bait them, get them to overextend 1by1 and then eliminate them while staying alive. 

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,789 posts
16,929 battles
1 minute ago, Rollingonit said:

They arent completely unwinnable. But it depends on the intelligence/capabilities of the remaining players. You have to try to bait them, get them to overextend 1by1 and then eliminate them while staying alive. 

If I was putting $20 bills on the outcome. I’d put it on a “L”

[SALVO]
Members
5,257 posts
4,510 battles
2 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

I’m here to tell you. Once your DD’s are gone, 

That's the thing. Tired of losing matches?... Be the DD yourself, or at least support the little guys, like be right up there with them.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

Members
3,797 posts
13,766 battles
Just now, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

If I was putting $20 bills on the outcome. I’d put it on a “L”

I would too, but Ive seen comebacks after all of a teams DDs manage to yolo their ships. 

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,789 posts
16,929 battles
1 minute ago, ArIskandir said:

That's the thing. Tired of losing matches?... Be the DD yourself, or at least support the little guys, like be right up there with them.

This is true. The majority of what I play are DD’s. I’m not the best, but I can generally live past the five minute mark. 
What is tough is referring to what I mentioned about the NB stars. I don’t mind playing CV. I normally don’t with clan mates because the majority of our group despises CV’s. Just trying to get the stars. Other than that, yes the majority of my games are in a DD

[VORTX]
Members
400 posts
6,240 battles
21 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Remember something else as well. DD’s are the most important class of ships in the game IMO. Once all your DD’s are gone with nothing to show for it. It’s going to be a VERY steep hill to climb.

This all day long. If the DDs are running around without challenge, you are going to lose. DD on the flank is a loss. DD running uncontested in a cap, well that’s going to be a loss too. You have a CV? Damn well better be hunting the DD. At least spot the bastard so the rest of you can kill him. Can’t kill what you can’t see and DD is king of that game. The only time DD isn’t the most important ship to kill is arguably double CV games. Just yolo and move on with those. No point trying. It’s just going to be CV vs CV in the end. 

getting wins is mostly luck as to who your team are. Average Joes at best can fend off one or two dedicated ships. Three on a good day. That leaves a whole lot of work for the rest of the team. All you can do is okay you’re best and try not to throw the monitor out the window on a losing streak. Switch to coop. It’s actually relaxing. 

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,789 posts
16,929 battles
19 minutes ago, _JohnWick_ said:

In the current meta, division when you can

[SALVO]
Members
25,453 posts
27,411 battles
7 hours ago, _JohnWick_ said:

Try telling a Slava or a Conqueror or Thunderer to not sit way back and snipe.  WG designed them to do EXACTLY that.  If you're in an FDG, you're in a BB that *is* designed to close the range.  And it seems rather hypocritical of you to demand that sniper BBs do what they're not designed to do while you're in a BB that is.

The problem that I see from your earlier comments is that you're on a lot of teams where you have bad DD players who are dying early.  The fault lies with them.  Mind you, I have no doubt that those DD players would cry about a lack of support, but in the end, they made the bad decision to try to forcibly take a cap when perhaps they should have fallen back to preserve their ship.  But also, perhaps some responsibility lies with the radar cruisers for not getting close enough to make use of their radar, *if* there was some terrain to use for cover.  (I'm not so dumb as to be demanding that radar cruisers get close to caps without any island cover.)  

Getting back to BBs, I think that the people who most demand that BBs get close enough to brawl are people already in brawling BBs who want their team's other BBs to move up with them, and to hell with the fact that that's not what some other BBs are designed to do.  They like to brawl and they'll complain about a lack of support and insult other players if they don't happen to want to play the way that brawl happy players want to play the game.

Also, in the mid tiers, BB players often learn that even if they do close on the enemy when facing even odds, far too many cruiser players are gutless and will run away, abandoning their BBs with no way to fall back.  So BB players will often tend to prefer fighting in the mid range so that they have some chance of falling back if things start to look bad.  And I can't blame them one bit.  If you can't trust your cruiser team mates to have your back, why should you push into the enemy knowing that those cruisers might leave you high and dry?

EDIT:  The downvote represents the typical "I like to brawl and I ***DEMAND*** that you come  brawl with me, or I'll get salty as eff" type of player. 

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 5
  • Meh 1

[REVY]
Members
2,495 posts
13,391 battles
3 hours ago, _JohnWick_ said:

welcome to random battles.

I wish there was something to say, but I too have been searching for elusive wins.

But randoms will remain random

btc37ydefahz.jpg

• Funny 1

Members
1,342 posts
4,912 battles

If your entire team rushes off to do some selfish me me me me they are all good as dead.

Plan your shots timing accordingly. I usually with the Pommern stay on HE until the DD's and Radar cruisers are out. Sometimes I'll just conserve and wait until my teammate is burned out or killed by the enemy ship I want to see burned down enough to delete in one or two turrets worth.

My last awarded double kill was in the Prinz Eugen in Random and I had blasted one particularly difficult human and backed up while trying to tank him at bow on.

His little DD friend comes around and attacks me from astern. In the high desperaton and amount of firepower coming and going I did not know I had anyone back there on my stern until the double kill achievement awarded and a dual kill message with my name on it came up.

With BIG BB's I go back to my young adult days lolling around in a giant Mercury or some 4 door tank of a car thats 30 feet long in downtown Baltimore. The particular bumps and temporary screams from those who are in your way does not translate easy to the video game. Some cars today are small enough to fit into the trunk now. Just tip em in.

The NUMBER ONE CLUE I SEEK IN THIS GAME or ANY online war game? Im going to the front packing for the bear with lots of firepower and battle thinking ahead....

Oh wait why are all of my teammates still back there at spawn bumping into one another at 2 knots on 40 acres of water? They are all interested in you being detected first, killed first and your futile efforts will reduce a enemy to where your grateful brain dead teammates can now delete from the game.

Edited by xHeavy

[STW-N]
Members
4,168 posts
9,886 battles

Well, a good question to ask is this:

• Who are you doing 100k damage to?
  • What type of damage are you dealing?

100k damage done to cruisers means a lot more than 100k damage done to battleships. Heck, 40k damage to destroyers means a lot more than 120k damage done to battleships.

In addition, while in some ships it's quite tempting to light up the nearest enemy BB and burn them down, that may not be the best target to win a battle.

Consider this battle:

Most of the damage this Smolensk did was HE/fire damage to battleships, which is the type of damage battleships are best able to recover from. Consequently, while he was busy padding his damage, the lighter enemy ships capped and managed to win on points. Did the battleships have fun? Most likely not. But they served their purpose: keeping the Smolensk busy while the rest of their team capped.

For a battleship, generally my strategy goes as follows:

1. See where you spawned and the composition of both teams. Any radar cruisers, destroyers to pay attention to, particularly dangerous battleships like Ohio or CVs? Mark priority targets.
  2. See where your team goes and try to set up a crossfire, although in some cases this may not be an option. Three battleships on the same flank is much less effective than 2 battleships on one flank and a third setting up a crossfire.
  3. Keep track of the enemy ships, especially enemy torpedo ships, carrier planes, and anything that can citadel you. The last thing you want is to suddenly have a destroyer emerge at 2 km away from behind an island.
  4. Judge the enemy team's strength relative to your own team's and position accordingly. Is the enemy lemming rushing your flank? Be in a kiting and angled position by the time they spot you. Are they relatively equal? Try to get a safe crossfire position. Is the enemy extremely weak? Push forward with your teammates and try to get behind the enemy team.
  5. Prioritize targets: generally my order goes destroyers/carriers > radar cruisers > other cruisers > battleships. Things that turn broadside jump up the target list, however, unless there are special circumstances, as well as ships like Ohio, FDR, Shikishima, Stalingrad, etc. i.e. any ship that indicates that its commander is a step above the rest.
  6. Know your armor and armament as well as the enemy's. Can you overmatch the enemy's bow with AP? Where is the enemy citadel? Should you switch to HE or keep using AP and aim higher? All of these are questions to keep in mind while aiming.
  7. Check the mini-map—basically what I do whenever my guns are reloading is take a look at the mini-map. Believe me, it helps.

Personally I have some predilections in battleships that aren't always advisable—I personally at times attempt to force drive-bys. Generally most people will find their personal favorite lines/preferences and stick with them. The tips I give are likely not perfect but imo are a good starting place.

• Cool 1

Members
43 posts
7,540 battles

I rarely play Random. I am trying to sharpen my game skills Coop. I feel your frustration. I resolved to play in Coop with my chat off. Newer players are up against players who, have mastered their skills over time. So, we are not in a great position. 

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,743 posts

deal meaningful damage, have a consistent map presence and concentrate on removal of ships from the field over simple damage done.

so... HE spamming from the rear of the pack, on the 10 line, against the enemy BBs who are not pushing into you and similarly playing passive is much more prone to lose you matches then setting up mid map, not yoloing but far enough forward to support your DDs and threaten the caps without being focused too much in return, and targeting the important ships on the enemy team. \

basically dont hope that your DDs and CAs can win for you... you be the winning factor.

[TMS]
Members
3,606 posts
34,722 battles
13 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Do your games look something like this?

59DDA9BF-C540-4B44-89C4-57F1A33BE725.jpeg

95F5CD62-F172-4555-A1C8-002A5335FDE0.jpeg

FEC25478-F2DC-4D53-A9D4-AD57924C6CB8.jpeg

I'm failing to see a trend :Smile_hiding: