Capt_Ahab1776

Boomers vs Zoomers

14 comments in this topic

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,789 posts
16,929 battles

Was talking to a clan mate today and the conversation went to competitive and casual, skilled and average. He made the comment “zoomers are generally more competitive.” He was responding to me eventually learning the term “Boomers” was not actually referring to “Baby Boomers”. Originally I thought it denoted that age group of people. It’s actually referring partially to Baby Boomers but also the children of Baby Boomers, Gen X’rs (my age group), and Gen Y’rs. 

Nothing derogatory to any. Just a general difference in the age groups and how they generally play. There are exceptions to every rule. I suspect most MMO games have the two camps. Competitive and casual. Nothing is wrong with either, they are just different approaches or outlook to the game. 

I’m sure there are people in their 20’s and younger who fit in the casual camp. As well as the “boomer” group who are as competitive as anyone you would ever meet.

Anyways just a little down time while at work and was just mulling over what we had talked about. Hope everyone has a good weekend, a safe as you can Halloween, and good luck over the weekend.

Plus a thank you to WG for allowing the casual crowd to hang out here too. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
23 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

the casual crowd 

Many people tend to mellow out with age. My Dad was highly competitive in college and probably would have tried out for the US Olympic Team had he not been drafted and sent to serve in the occupation forces after WWII. When we were growing up he wouldn't tolerate a pet in the house. Toward the end of his life, however, he had a black and white cat that pretty much lived on the arm of his chair and another one that hung out in the kitchen counter windowsill.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,789 posts
16,929 battles
20 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Many people tend to mellow out with age. My Dad was highly competitive in college and probably would have tried out for the US Olympic Team had he not been drafted and sent to serve in the occupation forces after WWII. When we were growing up he wouldn't tolerate a pet in the house. Toward the end of his life, however, he had a black and white cat that pretty much lived on the arm of his chair and another one that hung out in the kitchen counter windowsill.

Yeah, it happens. My dad is a Vietnam vet that served with the Navy. He was pretty strict growing up with. He mellowed out as he got older.

Speaking for myself and video games. I grew up with the Atari 2600. I was the competitive kid with the game Combat. As I got older it was Galaga, pro wrestling, Punch Out boxing. Have to keep in mind there was no MMO at that time. Unless you take into account when people used to play chess over distance. Like two people have a chess board laid out. They mailed each other their moves so the person they was playing  would move the appropriate piece as you did on yours. Talk about lag time lol. 

As I got older, same as a lot of other people I just mellowed out. I’m not as sharp with memory recall as I used to be. I think I’m a Ju Jitzu Samarai warlord chieftain of fat fingering commands on the keyboard. I sometimes forget why I walked into a rom. Plus, now I’m knocking on having to blurt things out when I think of it or I’ll forget what it was later LoL. 

It wouldn’t pay for me to be competitive now, I’d be miserable. So I just do the best I can and have fun. Keep the basics down and try to win.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[SALVO]
Members
25,453 posts
27,411 battles
56 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Was talking to a clan mate today and the conversation went to competitive and casual, skilled and average. He made the comment “zoomers are generally more competitive.” He was responding to me eventually learning the term “Boomers” was not actually referring to “Baby Boomers”. Originally I thought it denoted that age group of people. It’s actually referring partially to Baby Boomers but also the children of Baby Boomers, Gen X’rs (my age group), and Gen Y’rs. 

Nothing derogatory to any. Just a general difference in the age groups and how they generally play. There are exceptions to every rule. I suspect most MMO games have the two camps. Competitive and casual. Nothing is wrong with either, they are just different approaches or outlook to the game. 

I’m sure there are people in their 20’s and younger who fit in the casual camp. As well as the “boomer” group who are as competitive as anyone you would ever meet.

Anyways just a little down time while at work and was just mulling over what we had talked about. Hope everyone has a good weekend, a safe as you can Halloween, and good luck over the weekend.

Plus a thank you to WG for allowing the casual crowd to hang out here too. :Smile_honoring:

I'm sorry, but I find "casual" players to be selfish.  Normal players are trying to play to win.  Casual players don't give a crap about winning, only about shooting stuff.  And their style of play impinges on normal players' enjoyment of the game.

• Meh 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,789 posts
16,929 battles
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I'm sorry, but I find "casual" players to be selfish.  Normal players are trying to play to win.  Casual players don't give a crap about winning, only about shooting stuff.  And their style of play impinges on normal players' enjoyment of the game.

Really?

[SALVO]
Members
25,453 posts
27,411 battles
1 minute ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Really?

I'm not joking.  I meant what I said.  And there are CC's who feel the exact same way, having said so in one of their videos.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,789 posts
16,929 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I'm not joking.  I meant what I said.  And there are CC's who feel the exact same way, having said so in one of their videos.

We may be talking about two different things. I’m casual and I want to win.

[SALVO]
Members
25,453 posts
27,411 battles
1 minute ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

We may be talking about two different things. I’m casual and I want to win.

The way most people (I think) define a "casual player" is someone who doesn't care about winning and only wants to shoot stuff and blow up things.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,789 posts
16,929 battles
6 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The way most people (I think) define a "casual player" is someone who doesn't care about winning and only wants to shoot stuff and blow up things.

Um, I am referring to wanting to win but not to the point of making it a job.

Some people are blessed with talent with this. I admire them and feel respectfully envious. Can anyone improve? You bet. Will everyone have purple numbers? Not a chance. 

Having said that, I do feel every one should try their best. It may not be as good as you personally. People will top out to their abilities some higher than others. Everyone has bad days.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,859 posts
11,646 battles
12 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I think that's the selfish player . The casual player wants to win but doesn't play every day doesn't learn every nuance or mechanic of the game . Doesn't study tactics and watch videos all that much plays after work and maybe one day on the weekend  . That's me I consider myself casual but I want to win I always try to help the team first . 

Edited by clammboy
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
25,453 posts
27,411 battles
30 minutes ago, clammboy said:

I think that's the selfish player . The casual player wants to win but doesn't play every day doesn't learn every nuance or mechanic of the game . Doesn't study tactics and watch videos all that much plays after work and maybe one day on the weekend  . That's me I consider myself casual but I want to win I always try to help the team first . 

Sorry, but you don't sound like a casual player to me.  To me, what separates the casual players from the non-casual players is the desire to win.  In almost every past thread on this discussion, truly casual players will readily admit that they don't give a frick about winning.  They only care about shooting things and blowing stuff up, and perhaps even doing stuff just for laughs in random battles and to hell with how the more competitive players who are trying to win may feel.  And that's why they're selfish.  

If you're trying to help the team win and giving your best effort, no matter how good you are, you're not selfish in my book.  You're a team player and that's not a bad thing.

40 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Um, I am referring to wanting to win but not to the point of making it a job.

Some people are blessed with talent with this. I admire them and feel respectfully envious. Can anyone improve? You bet. Will everyone have purple numbers? Not a chance. 

Having said that, I do feel every one should try their best. It may not be as good as you personally. People will top out to their abilities some higher than others. Everyone has bad days.

Ahab, I'm not a purple player either.  I'm very much an average player, or perhaps slightly above average.  If you want to win and are truly giving it your best, that's usually good enough for me.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
6,916 posts
22,666 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

I think your incorrect definition (not saying you originated the definition...just that it is incorrect) there is in the word "players"...casual players play casually...but they still play...what you are defining as casual players are people that aren't actually playing.

[SALVO]
Members
25,453 posts
27,411 battles
5 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

I think your incorrect definition (not saying you originated the definition...just that it is incorrect) there is in the word "players"...casual players play casually...but they still play...what you are defining as casual players are people that aren't actually playing.

Guess I have to disagree, Khaos.  I've run across too many players who define themselves as casual using the definition I wrote out (i.e. shooting stuff, blowing stuff up, not caring about winning, doing stupid things for the lulz in random battles even if it leads to their team losing) to believe that "my" definition is incorrect.

[PVE]
Members
6,916 posts
22,666 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

Guess I have to disagree, Khaos.  I've run across too many players who define themselves as casual using the definition I wrote out (i.e. shooting stuff, blowing stuff up, not caring about winning, doing stupid things for the lulz in random battles even if it leads to their team losing) to believe that "my" definition is incorrect.

By clarifying you didn't originate the term I was referring to their definition being incorrect not yours (sorry should have clarified that better by not using the word "your" above there).

They may be playing (because trolling is a game in & of itself to them)...but they are not actually playing WoWS.

The times of shooting & blowing stuff up may be (even if they are shooting "non vital" targets just for fun they are contributing) but intentionally doing things to lose is by definition not playing the game (no matter what game they think they are playing).

Kinda like moving your queen up to the enemies pawn to be taken the 1st possible chance you have (3rd move of game IOW)  just to show your opponent how much you don't care about the game is not "playing" chess.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

Sign in to follow this