Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Landtuber

Help picking next line to research please - SO MANY SHIPS TO CHOOSE FROM!

17 comments in this topic

[SCSA]
Members
26 posts
2,207 battles

Hi forums,

I'm a casual player who has been off and on for some time, but back to it again and having a blast in the coop and randoms with the various tech tree ships I've unlocked so far.  I would love to play some clan battles but not sure I play enough to be competitive. The last time I played a lot I was pushing up to Zao, but have read a few things now that support it's really not worth it in the current state.  Now I'm trying to figure out what lines to push up and there are SO MANY SHIPS (tech and premium) that I can't figure out where to spend my time.  My favorites are listed below (and what I like about them), and in general what makes me like a ship are: 1) Very accurate guns at the ideal range for that ship.  2) I prefer weaker armor to get better rudder shift.  3) I'm fine playing team support in DD's rather than points (except in COOP, because you know, YOLO). 4) Close range encounters are more fun than long range sniping (except Mogami as the guns are SO accurate).

I'm hoping some of the Veterans can make some recommendations for a CA, DD and BB based on what I enjoy and their experience.  Tech tree is ideal of course, even if there is a premium that is really just a better version of that tech tree ship I can try the tech tree version to see if I like it, then could potentially splurge for the ship.

I currently have researched (but can grind a new line if needed):

BB's: German, Russian and IJN lines up to T6.

DD's: American and IJN to T6, Russian DD to T7

CA: IJN to T8

CV: IJN to T4 (not a huge fan of the playstyle so never really pushed it)

My favorites are:

Mogami (T8 IJN CA) - I love the accurate guns and concealment build, despite the paper armor.

Myogi (T6 IJN BB) - Not exactly sure why, but I just do really well in this ship it seems.  Has thinner armor, but handles well and packs a punch.

Bayern (T6 German BB) - Fun to just go straight in and brawl, seems to take hits relatively well and has solid shells (if the target isn't angled too much).

Farragut (T6 American DD) - Seems to be good at everything, although it's hard not to rush in and potato some games....

Any suggestions would be appreciated!  Hoping some Veterans can give me some guidance so I can make the best use of my time in game.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
5,337 posts
4,560 battles
19 minutes ago, Landtuber said:

Hi forums,

I'm a casual player who has been off and on for some time, but back to it again and having a blast in the coop and randoms with the various tech tree ships I've unlocked so far.  I would love to play some clan battles but not sure I play enough to be competitive. The last time I played a lot I was pushing up to Zao, but have read a few things now that support it's really not worth it in the current state.  Now I'm trying to figure out what lines to push up and there are SO MANY SHIPS (tech and premium) that I can't figure out where to spend my time.  My favorites are listed below (and what I like about them), and in general what makes me like a ship are: 1) Very accurate guns at the ideal range for that ship.  2) I prefer weaker armor to get better rudder shift.  3) I'm fine playing team support in DD's rather than points (except in COOP, because you know, YOLO). 4) Close range encounters are more fun than long range sniping (except Mogami as the guns are SO accurate).

I'm hoping some of the Veterans can make some recommendations for a CA, DD and BB based on what I enjoy and their experience.  Tech tree is ideal of course, even if there is a premium that is really just a better version of that tech tree ship I can try the tech tree version to see if I like it, then could potentially splurge for the ship.

I currently have researched (but can grind a new line if needed):

BB's: German, Russian and IJN lines up to T6.

DD's: American and IJN to T6, Russian DD to T7

CA: IJN to T8

CV: IJN to T4 (not a huge fan of the playstyle so never really pushed it)

My favorites are:

Mogami (T8 IJN CA) - I love the accurate guns and concealment build, despite the paper armor.

Myogi (T6 IJN BB) - Not exactly sure why, but I just do really well in this ship it seems.  Has thinner armor, but handles well and packs a punch.

Bayern (T6 German BB) - Fun to just go straight in and brawl, seems to take hits relatively well and has solid shells (if the target isn't angled too much).

Farragut (T6 American DD) - Seems to be good at everything, although it's hard not to rush in and potato some games....

Any suggestions would be appreciated!  Hoping some Veterans can give me some guidance so I can make the best use of my time in game.

Don't be picky, try everything

• Funny 1

[WORX]
Members
11,454 posts
19,196 battles
26 minutes ago, Landtuber said:

What you like now, you may not like in the future. Try it all, then once you get to say 10k minimum.. Then start narrowing down to what you like (or in my case dont like). 

For me, I stay away from high tier game play and CVs ships. Its not my cup of tea.

[FML]
Members
4,091 posts
15,976 battles
24 minutes ago, Landtuber said:

Hi, and welcome back. 

Based on your criteria of accuracy but not sniping, I suggest you stick with Russian battleships. The T7 Sinop is an exemplar of the top tier battleships, so once you master her the others flow naturally. The T10 Kremlin is quite strong, and usable in clan battles. They are all strong frontally and when angled, but die easily if caught flat broadside. 

If you are interested in a quick guide to how all the other tech tree ships play, have a look at my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide! 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
1,094 posts
9,408 battles

For Coop:

Bismarck/Tirpitz are a blast. Tirpitz deletes hydro to add torpedoes. FDG is just okay and GK is good, if you can stomach the grind through Gneisenau

IJN alt DDs are amazing: Akizuki, Kitakaze, and Harugumo are all fantastic. The T7 in your way is a dud, but it's worth it

The US DD line is good also if you like Farragut. I haven't set aside the time to try Gearing yet, but Fletcher is good enough.

Zao has been left behind. It can still do work, but other lines are simply a little better or more fun. I don't play the T8, T9, or T10 in this line any more 

The IJN BBs are still good enough. Amagi and Izumo are a bit different but Yamato still does Yamato things just fine.

[CO-OP]
Members
2,042 posts
26,089 battles

If you're completely flummoxed, I suggest that you wait until next week when the Test Server goes live again.  You can try out every tech tree ship and see which one(s) you like and save yourself a lot of unpleasant grinding a line you don't like.

• Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Members
913 posts
20,935 battles

I hate to regrind lines that I have already ground out.  I played only BBs / CAs / CLs and the first line I reset was the IJN CA line.  And I missed my Zao.  Next time through I reset the RN CLs.  Not as bad, but I did miss my Mino.  I decided to grind the 2 IJN DD lines because they are the cheapest to regrind.  I can switch them off every 3 months to get the double bonus.  Turns out I like DDs now so I am grinding those.  No CVs, so a DD line will be reset next time.

[SCSA]
Members
26 posts
2,207 battles

Thank you all for your input - keep the suggestions coming!!

46 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

If you're completely flummoxed, I suggest that you wait until next week when the Test Server goes live again.  You can try out every tech tree ship and see which one(s) you like and save yourself a lot of unpleasant grinding a line you don't like.

Great idea, thank you :)

[WOLF9]
Members
4,651 posts

Well, the US DD line is pretty solid all the way up.   Gearing isn't QUITE as good as it used to be, but that doesn't make it bad.    I'm on Fletcher right now.   LOVED Mahan, and it's still my go to DD.   Benson was a bit of a rocky start- because it marks a real shift away from gunboating and towards torpedo boating.   Once I figured that out,  Benson was excellent!   The last 50k xp just flew by in huge chunks!!   Fletcher is still 100% stock, because I'm being cheap and saving my resources for other things- so I won't say anything about it.

Some lines I found fun, that you may want to try:

US  Light cruisers.    Yes, you don't get torps after Omaha.  No, I didn't care one bit- because they come with THOSE guns!   As a US DDer, I had no trouble adjusting to the "floaty" shells, and find them to be just as accurate as the player is.   Plus, the large number of guns makes up for a lot of not so well aimed or lol RNG shots.   You get both good HE AND good AP.   (don't neglect the AP, just because they are "only" 6" guns- it hits hard, and you have a heavy broadside and a good rate of fire.)  Plus very good AA, and an excellent mix of consumables.   You can equip  DFAA,  Hydro AND radar at the same time.    Dallas; Helena; and Cleveland are excellent and very solid ships- heck, Dallas ATE 3 cruisers  in under 3 minutes 2 nights ago  with AP salvos, lol.    Seattle takes more skill, but is just as murderous as Cleve- just squishier.  Worcester is the original 6"  mini gun spammer.

For that matter, the heavies are nice, too.   You just trade some consumable versatility for  the best 8" AP performance.   And, aside from Pensacola, they're better protected.

French DD's.   The OG no-smoke destroyer line.   BUT, they get blinding speed, excellent guns, and pretty good torpedoes.   Starting at tier 6, you get a reload booster as well.  They do suck at AA though.   These are tiny light cruisers without the citadel, more than they are destroyers.  Maybe that's why I find them so fun to play.   I'm on Vauquelin, right now, and have loved every one- even Siroco!   I also have Le Terrible and Marceau, and love them both as well.    They definitely continue the offensive juggernaut schtick that began with the French cruisers.

I also really liked French battleships- especially once I got to Lyon!   And Alsace is my favorite BB in the game.

There's a soft spot in me for Soviet DD's- ESPECIALLY  for Podvoisky and Minsk  (and Leningrad, which is essentially the same ship with 8km torps.)  Surprisingly,  It was the alternate line, ending in Grozovoi that I ended up going down first.   I very much enjoy the tier 8, Ognevoi- which I'm working on now.

The original US BB line was the first I got to tier 10 in, and I liked them all.   Montana is a worthwhile ship to grind for.

Members
1,797 posts
5,635 battles

No reason not to continue on to Ibuki if you like Mogami. Damn near the same ship with a heal added. Mine is still stock - hasn’t been a priority, but certainly possessed of the accuracy and shell flight to be effective from her detection radius to mid range. In the same vein, if you like idea of a 203mm Mogami (I played mine half and half) but with forward firing torps and a heal - Atago is for you. I assume IJN get a bad rap in the current meta because you cannot just part behind an island and lob shells or point your bow at people from 20 km away and left click. You know - “skilled” game play. 

How accurate do you need?  You’re not gonna find too many accurate BB...merely those that are accurate enough. I can recommend Georgia without reservation. Many recommend Thunderer. Both are accurate. You can forget the Germans. North Carolina is an excellent BB, as is Massachusetts. The N.C. is the more accurate of the two and does this neat trick where it lofts shells nicely behind islands to punish cruisers slightly out of position. The Russian gimmick is good short to mid range accuracy, so you might like that. Don’t believe the “easily deleted from the side” hype. FLAT broadside, perhaps. Angled slightly, Kremlin will bounce shells from my GK as close as 10-12 km with no problem at all. 

You like Farragut? Bless your heart. Seriously, why? I’m inclined to recommend the Grozovoi line based on what I assume you like - good gun boating against other DD, general purpose utility. If you know me, you know I hate Fletcher and didn’t like Benson...or Mahan, or Farragut. Back in the day, I used the American DDs to ambush and cap contest against other DD. They’re not necessarily best at this anymore and this is often somewhat suicidal at high tier anyway. Mahan/Sims were the last duo I could pull that off in (like two years ago) - sail straight in at full speed to close the gap with the red DD (who will always out spot your garbage concealment) to spot him before he can evade, shoot everything until he dies, go dark. You might consider the Brits. They have a “get me outa here” smoke versus a “I think I’m helping my team with my pew pews” smoke and hydro and seem to be generally more versatile than the KM DD.

[WOLFG]
Members
30,759 posts
9,354 battles

As someone who isnt even a huge DD player, I can heartily recommend these.

Farragut is ok, Mahan was a bit of a struggle, due to its concealment, but Benson and Fletcher are pure gold. If you build for concealment, you'll outspot all the enemy DDs most of the time, (5.8km) and if you spec into torps, Fletcher gets an 81 sec. reload, with 10.5km, 69 knot torps.

Basically, if you liked Nicholas, that's what you get, just with much better torps.

Edited by Skpstr

Members
843 posts
4,679 battles

One thing about the American BB lines is that the Georgia is a better & more fun to play ship than all of them. Unless you really really want a tier 10 ship then either don't play the line at all, or save up coal and get the Georgia.

[ANK-A]
Members
1,341 posts
11,024 battles
On 10/31/2020 at 10:53 AM, macktkau2 said:

One thing about the American BB lines is that the Georgia is a better & more fun to play ship than all of them. Unless you really really want a tier 10 ship then either don't play the line at all, or save up coal and get the Georgia.

While that is true, there is no reason to get Georgia if you don't have Thunderer since it is one of the best BBs in the game.  Play it like a supercruiser and be rewarded.

But, OP seems to like DDs and CAs.  Once you get decent kiting skills, the German CA line is a winner and late game you have your close encounters if you want.  I think the IJN CAs and USN CLs take a little more experience on using terrain and concealment to stay alive and make an impact. 

Edited by YouSatInGum

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

Sounds like Zao is right up your alley. It's a great boat. You just have to play it correctly. You already at tier 8. Besides Ibuki is a fun boat so the grind should be painless.

Russian DD also sound like a good fit with nice gunnery.  I prefer Groz line to Khab.

Russian BB also good guns but one dimensional playstyle. 

German BB are a lot of fun.

Sign in to follow this