You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
WM1957

Ugly Camouflage Question

18 comments in this topic

[PHD]
Members
219 posts
6,460 battles

If a ship has an ugly permanent camouflage, is there a way to not see it but get the benefits?

[RCNW6]
Members
199 posts
3,604 battles
6 minutes ago, WM1957 said:

If a ship has an ugly permanent camouflage, is there a way to not see it but get the benefits?

I *think* there is a mod in the WoWs mod station that makes your camo invisible regardless of which one you have equipped, I think it's called "invisible camouflage" .

[WORX]
Members
11,474 posts
19,211 battles
7 minutes ago, WM1957 said:

Install Aslain mod, other then that.. No, not that I am aware of in game

[PHD]
Members
219 posts
6,460 battles
1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

Install Aslain mod, other then that.. No, not that I am aware of in game

How is this done?

[F4E]
[F4E]
Members
174 posts
26,761 battles

Lower right hand side, above your ships there is a 'cog' you can select that will let you filter out the different kinds of permanent camos.  You will see the standard permanent camo, everyone else will see the ugly.

Edited by Petrishnikov

[CO-OP]
Members
2,054 posts
26,109 battles

There are in-game filters that convert the Halloween camos to standard patterns.  They will still be visible to anyone without those filter settings, but at least YOU won't see them.

Edited by HamptonRoads

[WOLF3]
Members
28,272 posts
24,681 battles
25 minutes ago, WM1957 said:

It depends on the perma-camo in question.

If it's Makoto Kobayashi, some of the anime skins, etc. then the suggestion of the "cog" part in the port UI works.

If it's not one of those, then you're screwed as far as vanilla ingame options go.  For example, I highly detest overwhelming vast majority of the ugly, ahistorical IJN & USN perma-camo in the game.

There are mods to visually replace perma-camo for ships client side, i.e. only you see it, other players will not unless they have the same mod installed.  Ship Skin mods are a pretty big thing but require constant updating.  There is also the issue that if you change the appearance of one ship in a line via mods, you very likely will also accidentally alter the appearance of other ships.  The reason is the game uses the same models and textures across various ships to save space due to common equipment.  You change the look of the dual 127mm gun turrets for the sake of say, an Iowa skin, you will change the appearance of those same turrets across ALL USN ships that use that same dual 127mm gun turret.

Again, ship skins are a deep rabbit hole, and that's just the start.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLFG]
Members
30,780 posts
9,354 battles
1 hour ago, WaywardVariable said:

I *think* there is a mod in the WoWs mod station that makes your camo invisible regardless of which one you have equipped, I think it's called "invisible camouflage" .

There's another one that changes them, and makes all the funky ones look like camo ships might actually have used.

• Thanks 1

[RCNW6]
Members
199 posts
3,604 battles
1 minute ago, Skpstr said:

There's another one that changes them, and makes all the funky ones look like camo ships might actually have used.

Good tip, thanks ! 

[WOLFG]
Members
30,780 posts
9,354 battles
2 minutes ago, WaywardVariable said:

Good tip, thanks ! 

I'd post the name, but I'm at work on my phone right now, sorry.:Smile_sad:

[PVE]
Members
6,953 posts
22,728 battles
1 hour ago, WM1957 said:

Before you install a mod you might have issues with it might help if you let us know which camo it is...some can be filtered in game w/out using mods.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[RLGN]
Members
14,950 posts
26,484 battles
3 hours ago, HamptonRoads said:

There are in-game filters that convert the Halloween camos to standard patterns.  They will still be visible to anyone without those filter settings, but at least YOU won't see them.

This.

I guess I understand why players don’t like some of the camos for historic or aesthetic reasons, but all that’s really ever mattered to me is what the camo does.

Guess that’s just another way I’m a WoWs weirdo... (as in, not liking RN CLs.)

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Funny 1

[FOXY]
Members
1,202 posts
5,484 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

This.

I guess I understand why players don’t like some of the camos for historic or aesthetic reasons, but all that’s really ever mattered to me is what the camo does.

Hey now, I use plenty of camos that i think people find ugly, but i can understand not wanting to see them if you dont want to. Especially the ones with graphic effects.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,272 posts
24,681 battles
2 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

There's nothing out of the ordinary about not liking RNCLs.  Most of the player base doesn't like them either.

[RLGN]
Members
14,950 posts
26,484 battles
16 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

There's nothing out of the ordinary about not liking RNCLs.  Most of the player base doesn't like them either.

I guess?

Up to Emerald things seem pretty negative, but except perhaps for Neptune, Leander and up players seem pretty positive.

My dislike stems from never seeming to be able to get the AP to work, and cursed bad luck in setting up to smoke shoot...

(Finallly in a good spot! (all the targets die or the spotting goes away...) NOOOOOOOOOOOOooooo!!!)

[WOLF3]
Members
28,272 posts
24,681 battles
7 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I guess?

Up to Emerald things seem pretty negative, but except perhaps for Neptune, Leander and up players seem pretty positive.

My dislike stems from never seeming to be able to get the AP to work, and cursed bad luck in setting up to smoke shoot...

(Finallly in a good spot! (all the targets die or the spotting goes away...) NOOOOOOOOOOOOooooo!!!)

RNCLs depend on position to get on to the sides so they can get more pens against Cruisers and Battleships.  If you like to square off "Man to Man" then they're going to suck a**.

These CLs need to play closer than what's typical to Cruisers in general because of the float in their shells.  It also makes engaging DDs easier and that's where RNCL AP is supposed to shine.

The closer you fight = The more dangerous it is

A string of early and mid RNCLs are also just trash.  They were so bad they that IMO, they were made that way to discourage players from playing further down the line, and make them give up with frustration by Tier V.

Danae -> Emerald is an embarrassing low point.  When the RNCL Line first came out, a bunch of us were swarming low tiers to "welcome the line's release" by massacring them.  DD players found out that their piddly guns were easily Citadeling these things.

On 3/4/2017 at 7:02 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Low tier RN CLs get citadeled by everything.  Even DD-grade guns firing HE.  FFS, even DD guns smaller than 127mm will citadel them with HE shells.

Emerald's guns are trash.

Her AP penetrates like a wet noodle.

Her torpedoes are good enough for Suicide Range.

I honestly do not see them as a threat.  Their guns cannot harm me.  Their torpedoes are only good for YOLO rushes but they get blown up long before they're even in range.

"But they'll be dropping those torps in an ambush from an island!"

LOL!  No!  The moment they come around that island they're eating close range AP shells and getting double-triple-quadruple-citadeled!

I do not see Emerald as a threat.  I see them as sources to pad my stats.  One salvo into them by any ship is always a profitable move in a match.

I love seeing Emeralds on the enemy team.  I f--king hate seeing them on my team.

This one is funny, because there were 2 Emeralds in the area.  At first.  The first Emerald I citadeled for good damage (6 hits at the time, 1 citadel).  Someone else finished it off.  Then this 2nd Emerald gets rekt in the following salvo.

Reveal hidden contents

7rzbeFH.jpg

Tier VII Sims using 127mm HE shells.  Got a citadel.

Reveal hidden contents

ncxe9nL.jpg

Tier V Gremyaschy ripping apart an Emerald.  This time I was more serious as I used AP.

Reveal hidden contents

4V2t4fq.jpg

Not Emerald, but her predecessor, Danae.  HE spamming these POS Low Tier RN CLs and you can still citadel them.  Citadeling a Cruiser at that range with DD-grade HE shells.  PATHETIC.

Hide contents

1dqadxd.jpg

If the DD player was feeling vindictive, they'd use stealth to creep up and then open up with AP into the low tier RNCL sides for Citadel damage.

It was funny getting 41k Damage + Dev Strike with Gneisenau because I spanked an Emerald not even 4 minutes into the game :Smile_teethhappy:

I remember using 130mm-Bogatyr in Tier III just mercilessly HE Citadeling those things with impunity.  By doing this, you give them the double middle finger:  Citadeling and setting them on Fire with HE.

People like Fiji, Leander, but past Tier V you got Neptune being a problem child.  Minotaur and Neptune are not for novices or bad players:  One mistake, you'll not get a chance to make a second one.

It's a tough line to like and I bet a bunch of people do not make it to Tier X before getting frustrated in 3 possible spots:  Tier IV, V, and IX.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[RLGN]
Members
14,950 posts
26,484 battles
4 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It's a tough line to like and I bet a bunch of people do not make it to Tier X before getting frustrated in 3 possible spots:  Tier IV, V, and IX.

Thing is I liked Emerald...

4 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Her torpedoes are good enough for Suicide Range.

...because of her torpedoes. (Long story.)

Leander was a disappointment because it had so few of them.

Fiji was just Leander with four more useless guns and a still useless amount of torpedoes.