You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
STINKWEED_

Key Battles Big Hunt - Surprisingly A Lot Of Fun!

26 comments in this topic

Members
3,315 posts
16,572 battles

I started playing The Big Hunt open minded without any big expectations. Although it wasn't a repeat of the last few years Halloween events, it's nice to get something fresh and new instead of the stale re-purposed battle events and ships. One thing that stood out for me is that this mode actually rewards skilled players, something not common to the game. You can play solo or in divisions but a division doesn't guarantee you anything. In fact, my best games have been solo. I've left the portal with a key alone in every battle. Another thing I like is that it lets players decide what combination of equipment works best for them. New or unskilled players are switching to the newest unlocked equipment while the more successful ones only use what works best. The newest unlocked equipment are not always better.

There was a lot of talk about team killing. So far in over two days I rarely experienced anyone on my team leaving the division to kill their teammates. Just the opposite, players are helping each other obtain keys for the rest of their team. There's also some strategy and timing involved. When applied properly it increases your chances of doing well in a battle. 

Suggestions: 

- Kill as many monsters as possible early in the battle. You will need the perks soon after
- If you are in a Gale and you see a Valkyrie stay your distance unless it invites or joins you in a division. His gun range is much further than your torpedo range.  
- The best choice for the Distribution Equipment module for Gale is the gun/torpedo reload. I can't stress how important because it literally decreases the reload time by as much as half. 
- If you find a key early in the battle you are a floating target. Move away from the portal far away from everyone else and try to hide behind an island until the 1-2 min mark. Let the other players battle each other so that when you finally make a run for the portal there will be less of them to deal with. 
- Gale torps work best in ranges 5km and under. You want to make them all count so try to sneak between the islands and ambush solo ships at close range for the kill. 
- Valkyrie - Keep the HE main guns. They have a slower reload and deal a bit less damage however, they seem much more effective against monsters and against other ships. I tried AP a few times against other Valkyries and lost each time.  
- Don't ram the monsters, most of them will survive and you will be toast. I know....

Anyhow, I think WG did a good job this Halloween.   

Edited by STINKWEED_
  • Cool 4
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 5

[1CVDV]
Members
226 posts
11,673 battles

I have only played that mode 1 time(got almost 500k in credit/what ever the payout is for that mode).my question is what is the gold ship.i shot at it once.didnt know if it was allied or foe.i was surprised at how fast my boat got going tho,i thought for a second I was in nitro drag boat,lol

[SALVO]
Members
5,257 posts
4,510 battles

Nice to read positive opinions about the mode... it can be a lot of fun if given a fair chance.

Another element to consider, progression is tied exclusively to damage done, not getting keys. It could be useful to spend your firsts matches in the different ships hunting mobs and racking damage to unlock the upgrades.

• Boring 3

[1CVDV]
Members
226 posts
11,673 battles
10 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Nice to read positive opinions about the mode... it can be a lot of fun if given a fair chance.

Another element to consider, progression is tied exclusively to damage done, not getting keys. It could be useful to spend your firsts matches in the different ships hunting mobs and racking damage to unlock the upgrades.

yeah I was racking up mad damage and 8 or 9 kills,hell I had no clue what I was doing,didnt even know about the keys.like I said earlier was trying to figure out what the gold ship was.unlocked like 6 modules(you can only pick 1 of the 2 at a time I believe).I made it till 90 seconds to portal opening and got crushed by 3 ships/monsters focusing me.pretty fun stuff if you like something different.

[SIT]
Members
74 posts
5,422 battles

I've thoroughly enjoyed it.  Last night I finished getting the gale unlocked to max.
I'm a solo player. This game mode, is the first time I've actually even been in a Div. I've completed it solo a few times, but it is way more fun in a good division. 

After having both ships completely unlocked, i was just about 50K battle points shy of the t8 camo. 

• Boring 1
  • Meh 2

Members
806 posts

I have mostly enjoyed it so far, though the rewards are a bit disappointing. I wouldn't mind if WG didn't allow for ECXP,  but did allow for credits. 

The one change I'd make to the equipment you can unlock is replacing AP with SAP. 

[L-A-G]
Members
26 posts
4,266 battles

Keybattles is just pure enjoyment please dont anyone start quoting historical accuracy although im pretty sure given enough time the Germans would have developed ships like this :)

Also on a side not, honestly what is the advantage of getting a key and getting out, its only a 2k bonus on battlepoints which i dont always get when i get out with a key, and if you stay and win the octogon not only do you get a 2k bonus you get the bb of the other players you kill so it benefits you to wait till octagon imo.

[SIT]
Members
74 posts
5,422 battles

i think it's 2x accumulated battle points for going out through the portal or being the last alive in the octagon.

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,300 battles
8 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I started playing The Big Hunt open minded without any big expectations. Although it wasn't a repeat of the last few years Halloween events, it's nice to get something fresh and new instead of the stale re-purposed battle events and ships. One thing that stood out for me is that this mode actually rewards skilled players, something not common to the game. You can play solo or in divisions but a division doesn't guarantee you anything. In fact, my best games have been solo. I've left the portal with a key alone in every battle. Another thing I like is that it lets players decide what combination of equipment works best for them. New or unskilled players are switching to the newest unlocked equipment while the more successful ones only use what works best. The newest unlocked equipment are not always better.

There was a lot of talk about team killing. So far in over two days I rarely experienced anyone on my team leaving the division to kill their teammates. . 

I've been TKed in every battle, and never had a key. I've stopped playing, finding it both dull and pointless.

• Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[L-A-G]
Members
26 posts
4,266 battles

Teamkilling is up to the individual obviously but i have done it myself when the oppurtunity arose and benefited me most, that is the point of that event, trust very lightly, its not pointless you can trade in for some nice rewards, i have 160k bb already and am having a blast playing and watching all the backstabbing. BTW its not two times accumlated bbs for exiting via portal. Wasnt sure if it made a difference if you were 1st out of 4th out with key but having a key and making it out should be the best reward, not from winning the arena, which most ships making to arena have tons of bb and you end up killing a few of them anyway to max out at 10k

Edited by Steal
  • Meh 1

[SALVO]
Members
5,257 posts
4,510 battles
12 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

I've been TKed in every battle, and never had a key. I've stopped playing, finding it both dull and pointless.

Looks like you are just not really cut for it, I got out with a Key on my third match without TK'ing anyone (I ditch someone tho, but it was a lost cause anyway), won my first Octagon the second time around. 

41 minutes ago, Steal said:

Also on a side not, honestly what is the advantage of getting a key and getting out, its only a 2k bonus on battlepoints which i dont always get when i get out with a key, and if you stay and win the octogon not only do you get a 2k bonus you get the bb of the other players you kill so it benefits you to wait till octagon imo.

Spoken like a true gamer, this mode is all about raking damage. Tonight I'll focus on killing mobs to beef up for Octagon, damn the keys! 

Members
53 posts
19,028 battles
1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

I'm not sure... How do you account for countless hours of free entertainment? 

Countless hours of frustration is not entertaining.  It's not entertaining when you only get a key twice, out of over 30 battles, and never survive to make it thru the portal anyway.  Last year's halloween event was fun.  Played it for the entire duration of the event and was really looking forward to this year's version.  This is nothing but a lost cause for me, and apparently many other people feel the same, if you read the other threads discussing the subject.

• Cool 2

Members
2,386 posts
13,906 battles

Two games... that's all I will be playing...  basically setting up a game where you back stab your division mates isn't fun, it's not engaging.... it is the realm of the treacherous and they can have it...

• Thanks 3

[SALVO]
Members
5,257 posts
4,510 battles
54 minutes ago, blimp66 said:

Countless hours of frustration is not entertaining. 

Nobody is imposing the frustration on you, it is your choice to play or not. If you find it frustrating why do you keep playing?

Edited by ArIskandir
  • Meh 2

[SALVO]
Members
5,257 posts
4,510 battles
21 hours ago, blimp66 said:

It's not entertaining when you only get a key twice, out of over 30 battles, and never survive to make it thru the portal anyway.  

That would be you being bad at playing the game, it's not the game's fault.

• Boring 1
  • Meh 2

Members
66 posts
3,286 battles
8 hours ago, Saxon29 said:

I have only played that mode 1 time(got almost 500k in credit/what ever the payout is for that mode).my question is what is the gold ship.i shot at it once.didnt know if it was allied or foe.i was surprised at how fast my boat got going tho,i thought for a second I was in nitro drag boat,lol

The gold ships are players that you can cause damage to as are red players, you can also invite them to be in a division with you.

An allied player is green and you can't damage him.

This pic shows 2 of my allies(green), 1 gold ship and 2 red ships which I presume are in a 3-man (full) division.

2128638479_RedGreenGoldships2020_10.30-21_26_31.08_Moment.thumb.jpg.e8497403bccaeb626718968e9a686d14.jpg

Yeah and the Valkyrie will hit 145Knts with speed boost.

1552641103_Valkyie145Knts2020_10.28crop.thumb.png.80f394bdcc64a485ebe7041c42573830.png

[ANK-A]
Members
1,319 posts
10,982 battles
52 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Nobody is imposing the frustration on you, it is your choice to play or not. If you find it frustrating why do you keep playing?

Good advice.  Played once. 

The backstabbing on steroids is not my cup of tea. 

I am disappointed that they didn't come up with something that I like...especially since they have done so well in the past....loved space battles and post apocalypse torpedo jousting... wish those were permanent modes.

• Cool 2

[L-A-G]
Members
26 posts
4,266 battles
4 hours ago, blimp66 said:

Countless hours of frustration is not entertaining.  It's not entertaining when you only get a key twice, out of over 30 battles, and never survive to make it thru the portal anyway.  Last year's halloween event was fun.  Played it for the entire duration of the event and was really looking forward to this year's version.  This is nothing but a lost cause for me, and apparently many other people feel the same, if you read the other threads discussing the subject.

4 hours ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

Two games... that's all I will be playing...  basically setting up a game where you back stab your division mates is... so Russian...   it isn't fun, it's not engaging.... it is the realm of the treacherous and they can have it...

Not sure why you two even play this game, this mode is for pure fun, as far getting the key that doesnt do much, what is the big deal with the key, get damage and battlepoints, the key isnt a win, i try to get as much battlepoints as i can then even with a key i port to the arena. Ive grouped with players while in arena, take out the others in there then fight my own division mates its fun as hell. If players dont like this mode dont play it, why do you come here and complain.

[L-A-G]
Members
26 posts
4,266 battles

Also update on the keys and getting out, after about 50 battles i finally realized, call me stupid, if anyone is wondering, exiting with  a key doubles your battlepoints you had which is a max of 5k, i honestly didnt know this, sorry i am sure it was posted somewhere but if anyone else is wondering. Also winning the octagon doubles also. Enjoy

[SALVO]
Members
5,257 posts
4,510 battles
2 minutes ago, Steal said:

Also update on the keys and getting out, after about 50 battles i finally realized, call me stupid, if anyone is wondering, exiting with  a key doubles your battlepoints you had which is a max of 5k, i honestly didnt know this, sorry i am sure it was posted somewhere but if anyone else is wondering. Also winning the octagon doubles also. Enjoy

Yes, you get full battle points by winning, but high damage is what you need to unlock modules and advance the missions. Exiting with a key is cool but you miss the chance to pile up more damage.

Members
2,386 posts
13,906 battles
11 hours ago, Steal said:

Not sure why you two even play this game, this mode is for pure fun,

I do not find games that feature treachery to "be fun"   .. .both times I played the first thing someone did was to invite to a div, and then when I focused on a target, they shot me ... so basically everyone is a target, until they are not, and then they change sides 3 secs later... no.. it's not fun... it is aggravating and seemingly pointless... a grind that just isn;t fun... and you're right.. I am not playing it... WG continues to throw gimmicks on the wall hoping something will stick and it all just falls flat for me.. *you* don't have to like or not lie my choice and you don;t need to critique my choice...

• Thanks 1

Members
3,315 posts
16,572 battles
15 hours ago, Taichunger said:

I finished all the Big Hunt missions, exited the portal with a key about 15 times, won the final battle match a bunch of times. 
Like I said in my original post, the skilled players who are willing to learn and understand the mechanics of this battle mode will have fun and do well. Those who think they can play it like a Co-Op or Random battle are typically the ones who are complaining. 
There is a method and strategy otherwise I wouldn't have 700k-900k damage battles. It wasn't luck. It's spending the time to learn which equipment works with each ship, how to max your repair and reload modules, knowing where the monsters spawn, keeping your eyes on your own division and being ready in case someone turns on you etc.  

• Cool 1

Members
3,315 posts
16,572 battles
15 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

I do not find games that feature treachery to "be fun"   .. .both times I played the first thing someone did was to invite to a div, and then when I focused on a target, they shot me ... so basically everyone is a target, until they are not, and then they change sides 3 secs later... no.. it's not fun... it is aggravating and seemingly pointless... a grind that just isn;t fun... and you're right.. I am not playing it... WG continues to throw gimmicks on the wall hoping something will stick and it all just falls flat for me.. *you* don't have to like or not lie my choice and you don;t need to critique my choice...

So you played twice and gave up? This confirms my point

Edited by STINKWEED_

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,300 posts
9,645 battles
18 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Played about ten battles so far, didn’t get TKd, didn’t TK anyone. You’re playing the mode badly if you get TKd a lot. 

18 hours ago, blimp66 said:

Countless hours of frustration is not entertaining.

Don’t play the mode if you’re frustrated, problem solved. I don’t like it as much as some other things WG has done in the past (DDs on steroids were my favorite, forgot the name of the event), and lack of captain XP awards is suspect given the upcoming captain changes, but kudos to WG for trying a new and different format. Just wish Gale was more nimble, and that its torp launches traversed better.