You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Tier 6 Premium IJN DD Shinonome: Mistakes were Made

24 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
21,581 posts
15,643 battles

...and a price was paid.

Oddly enough, despite the presence of two carriers on each side, that wasn't necessarily what brought me unstuck. This'll teach me to watch my back and not get target-fixated. Maybe.

It didn't help that the reds had a DD on their team that went on an absolute mad rampage. I don't show the whole battle, but by the time I died it was as good as lost.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[PVE]
Members
6,898 posts
22,666 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

...and a price was paid.

Oddly enough, despite the presence of two carriers on each side, that wasn't necessarily what brought me unstuck. This'll teach me to watch my back and not get target-fixated. Maybe.

It didn't help that the reds had a DD on their team that went on an absolute mad rampage. I don't show the whole battle, but by the time I died it was as good as lost.

(Oops...he said Akatsuki...not Akizuki...Doh)

Actually the Shinonome is the T6 Fubuki clone I do believe.

Akizuki only has 1 rack of torps w/a reload boosters...Shininome & Fubuki have 3 racks each...& I think the guns are the same also but might be mistaken about that...& don't remember any other differences between the 2 (such as detection/AA/rudder shift/etc).

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
21,581 posts
15,643 battles
2 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Actually the Shinonome is the T6 Fubuki clone I do believe.

Are you referencing the part where I say "This ship is a baby Akatsuki at Tier 6"?

Note AKATsuki, not AKIzuki. They sound similar but are very different beasts.

Tier 6 Fubuki has only two main-battery turrets; she is the downtiered version of the original Tier 8 Fubuki C hull. It's possible that Shinonome is the Tier 6 downgrade of the old Tier 8 B hull Fubuki, which had three, but don't quote me on that.

[PVE]
Members
4,646 posts
20,526 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

...and a price was paid.

Alas, we have all been there........  :cap_wander:

I've actually been Rammed in smoke by a BOT DD I never saw !

[PVE]
Members
6,898 posts
22,666 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Are you referencing the part where I say "This ship is a baby Akatsuki at Tier 6"?

Note AKATsuki, not AKIzuki. They sound similar but are very different beasts.

Tier 6 Fubuki has only two main-battery turrets; she is the downtiered version of the original Tier 8 Fubuki C hull. It's possible that Shinonome is the Tier 6 downgrade of the old Tier 8 B hull Fubuki, which had three, but don't quote me on that.

Forgot about the Akatsuki :Smile_unsure:Oops...my bad :Smile_hiding:

[ARGSY]
Members
21,581 posts
15,643 battles
Just now, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Off to Gulag! No Vodka for you! :Smile_veryhappy:

• Funny 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,800 posts
4,733 battles
17 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

1660981796_gotogulag.jpg.07ed2a47bf9b8bd0f17b2c1272b5bcab.jpg

• Haha 1

[PVE]
Members
6,898 posts
22,666 battles
36 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Off to Gulag! No Vodka for you! :Smile_veryhappy:

17 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

1660981796_gotogulag.jpg.07ed2a47bf9b8bd0f17b2c1272b5bcab.jpg

Gulag? These are IJN ships we're talking about...

Of course I have no idea what the IJN equivalent to Gulag is but I do know it's Sake rations not Vodka rations that get cut off when you go there...where ever there is.

Members
3,415 posts
40,617 battles
1 hour ago, Asym_KS said:

Alas, we have all been there........  :cap_wander:

I've actually been Rammed in smoke by a BOT DD I never saw !

I got run over by a GK and the player said: Uh, what was that, I think a baby turtle just struck the hull. 

34 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Of course I have no idea what the IJN equivalent to Gulag is but I do know it's Sake rations not Vodka rations that get cut off when you go there...where ever there is.

Look up Bataan Death march.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,800 posts
4,733 battles
54 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

IJN ships owned by a Russian company...

[PVE]
Members
6,898 posts
22,666 battles
25 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Look up Bataan Death march.

Know about it already but I'm looking for a specific term for the prison camps in general actually...not an instance of a forced march from 1 to another.

Example: Russia had the gulags...US had the internment camps...Germany the concentration camps...

Was wondering if Japan had a term (other than just POW camps) for their POW camps during WWII (or others besides Japanese had a term for them)...

Or I suppose just prisons in general...not necessarily POW camps (as Gulags were not just WWII era POW camps & they were the ones I was analogizing).

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[ARGSY]
Members
21,581 posts
15,643 battles
1 hour ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Yeah, but it's the origins of the game we're referencing.

[PVE]
Members
6,898 posts
22,666 battles
23 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

IJN ships owned by a Russian company...

1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yeah, but it's the origins of the game we're referencing.

I know...but unlike many ships in this game all 3 of those IJN ships actually existed IRL so in that regard they aren't wholly owned by the Russian company...now if only I knew the term for the Japanese gulag equivalent the post would have had a much better punchline :-?

[ARGSY]
Members
21,581 posts
15,643 battles
3 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

now if only I knew the term for the Japanese gulag equivalent the post would have had a much better punchline :-?

Yeah, whatever. I used a meme. Shoot me.

(Just... you know... wait until I'm on the Red team or in Key Battles to shoot me. It will be fine then. :Smile_veryhappy:)

• Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
6,898 posts
22,666 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

(Just... you know... wait until I'm on the Red team or in Key Battles to shoot me. It will be fine then. :Smile_veryhappy:)

See... that's where my post fell apart as there was no equivalent meme I could use to respond with so I had to adlib w/just a concept :-o

[RCNW6]
Members
129 posts
3,468 battles
6 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

...and a price was paid.

Good video and very informative for those of us that are trying to learn Japanese Destroyer'ing .

I really liked your idea of lobbing a salvo of torpedoes at the RPF indicator, nice way of "clearing your baffles" so to speak.:Smile_smile:

[ARGSY]
Members
21,581 posts
15,643 battles
16 minutes ago, WaywardVariable said:

I really liked your idea of lobbing a salvo of torpedoes at the RPF indicator, nice way of "clearing your baffles" so to speak.

True, but bear in mind what I said in context - that I did it because I didn't anticipate needing them again before they reloaded. If you guess wrong on this, you are either dead (because you can't kill the surprise, round-the-corner cruiser that's bearing down on you faster than you can run) or cursing missed opportunities (because the battleship that you could have sunk if you'd held on to them was briefly in the right place for a Devstrike).

[PVE]
Members
4,646 posts
20,526 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Oh GoD, the "s" word.......

Members
3,415 posts
40,617 battles
23 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Know about it already but I'm looking for a specific term for the prison camps in general actually...not an instance of a forced march from 1 to another.

Example: Russia had the gulags...US had the internment camps...Germany the concentration camps...

Was wondering if Japan had a term (other than just POW camps) for their POW camps during WWII (or others besides Japanese had a term for them)...

Or I suppose just prisons in general...not necessarily POW camps (as Gulags were not just WWII era POW camps & they were the ones I was analogizing).

The Empire of Japan typically the army, very rarely took on prisoners. The Bataan incident is the exception and most notable.

The IJN Navy however did take on survivors from a sunken ship. And usually dropped them off at a neutral port because they knew the policy of prisoners.

I don't think there was every an official prison per se in the IJN or the Army, but rather a case of exceptions.

If you read the accounts of Anzac soldiers and other units in the Pacific post Pearl, it was grim. Guadalcanal is an example. All Marines lost. They fought to the last man.

At the Philippines retreat, Wainwright had to fight a delayed action and eventually surrender so MacArthur could escape. This was considered a brave act by the IJN Army, however, they detested the idea of prisoners of any kind because a true warrior fights to the end. Surrender is a concept that is blasphemy to them and dishonorable. 

It is not surprising that when Hirohito broadcast the surrender it literally shook the Japanese people to the core. Imagine your revered leader, perceived a God, to suddenly surrender, broke the spirit of the IJN and Army.

So, no. Probably not going to find a similar equivalent to a Gulag in Japan during WW2.

[PVE]
Members
6,898 posts
22,666 battles
2 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

The Empire of Japan typically the army, very rarely took on prisoners. The Bataan incident is the exception and most notable.

The IJN Navy however did take on survivors from a sunken ship. And usually dropped them off at a neutral port because they knew the policy of prisoners.

I don't think there was every an official prison per se in the IJN or the Army, but rather a case of exceptions.

If you read the accounts of Anzac soldiers and other units in the Pacific post Pearl, it was grim. Guadalcanal is an example. All Marines lost. They fought to the last man.

At the Philippines retreat, Wainwright had to fight a delayed action and eventually surrender so MacArthur could escape. This was considered a brave act by the IJN Army, however, they detested the idea of prisoners of any kind because a true warrior fights to the end. Surrender is a concept that is blasphemy to them and dishonorable. 

It is not surprising that when Hirohito broadcast the surrender it literally shook the Japanese people to the core. Imagine your revered leader, perceived a God, to suddenly surrender, broke the spirit of the IJN and Army.

So, no. Probably not going to find a similar equivalent to a Gulag in Japan during WW2.

The article I read said they used them for labor & the army ran some of them but they would turn them over to mining companies & the companies would be responsible for feeding & housing them & army would just supply the guards.

They would generally keep them by the front lines so they would be killed by our forces attacking (7 died in the Nagasaki bomb for instance) & it said Hiroshima had a camp there but didn't mention any fatalities there.

Members
3,415 posts
40,617 battles
On 10/31/2020 at 2:45 PM, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

The article I read said they used them for labor & the army ran some of them but they would turn them over to mining companies & the companies would be responsible for feeding & housing them & army would just supply the guards.

They would generally keep them by the front lines so they would be killed by our forces attacking (7 died in the Nagasaki bomb for instance) & it said Hiroshima had a camp there but didn't mention any fatalities there.

Ah, so they had some. Just not in an official capacity so as not to be mentioned abroad.

When you consider that there would be no means to find out as the axis made sure no one knew of their activities, this makes sense. 

Were it not for the French resistance and intelligence sources in Germany, the allies wouldn't know much of anything.

War is hell.

[PVE]
Members
6,898 posts
22,666 battles
18 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Ah, so they had some. Just not in an official capacity so as not to be mentioned abroad.

When you consider that there would be no means to find out as the axis made sure no one knew of their activities, this makes sense. 

Were it not for the French resistance and intelligence sources in Germany, the allies wouldn't know much of anything.

War is hell.

They didn't have any until 1942 when they took prisoners from Guam & Wake island...& they of course we're confused at 1st as to why the Americans were surrendering as opposed to fighting to the death so didn't know what to do with them at 1st so at that time there was only 1...eventually there was more but I don't think they ever had more than a dozen (if that many).

The article I read had a breakdown of each camp (& business that used them) & the amount of each different nation's prisoners (US/UK/Aussie/etc) & the total death counts from each of them...including a seperated counting of friendly fire deaths.

I'd post the link but don't know how to do that stuff.

Took forever to find it as any mention of Japan & pow in the same sentence just brought up US internment camps.

Eventually entered (into google) "What were POW camps in Japan called during WWII" & it lead me to assorted articles & that 1 was 1 of them (sorry...no clue on the exact name of it though).

Edit: But as for not letting us know about them they did say that there was mail to families (through either red cross or some other similar group...I forget exactly now) allowed in them so they were known about...at least eventually.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Thanks 1

[ARGSY]
Members
21,581 posts
15,643 battles

Okay, people back on topic, please.

Shinonome. My screwup. What might I have done differently, apart from simply going straight in on the carriers and not just trying to gun them down from smoke? (In which case I MIGHT not have been in the right place for the Guepard to catch me out.)

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,800 posts
4,733 battles

Sorry, I suck with torp DDs so won't offer advice.