Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Whitebuster

Teamwork for portal in Key (Halloween) battle

66 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

108
[PYK]
Beta Testers
208 posts
2,395 battles

I encountered a Key battle game where I divisioned with another loyal player and fought together till the end to obtain a key. However, only I had the key and escaped using the portal. Since my teammate is in my division when I went through the portal, does he also get a bonus for it?

I was expecting both players to be able to escape with the key since we were on the same team. If the teammate doesn't get any bonus, then this game mode is really toxic.

  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,138
[DVYJC]
Members
3,538 posts
8,070 battles

No, every team member needs a key. The only way to cooperate for the entire game is to hunt down as many keys as you have div members, or have only five players left at the end with four going through the portal and the remaining person being the default winner of the Octagon. I have actually done that a few times, and it was very profitable, but it requires everyone to be on the same page and work together, so it's pretty uncommon. I do try to stick with my team. I often get the first key, and I always try to get keys for all my other division mates.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
108
[PYK]
Beta Testers
208 posts
2,395 battles
7 minutes ago, Farm_Fresh_Eggs said:

Working as intended.

That's a shame because this game mode is really fun when everyone is working together and not cucking each other. I don't understand why WG would encourage betrayal during a battle. At least there are a lot of good players who stick with their team to the end. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
108
[PYK]
Beta Testers
208 posts
2,395 battles
6 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

No, every team member needs a key. The only way to cooperate for the entire game is to hunt down as many keys as you have div members, or have only five players left at the end with four going through the portal and the remaining person being the default winner of the Octagon. I have actually done that a few times, and it was very profitable, but it requires everyone to be on the same page and work together, so it's pretty uncommon. I do try to stick with my team. I often get the first key, and I always try to get keys for all my other division mates.

I don't like this mechanism because it encourages jealous teammates who don't have a key to betray his teammates in order to get the key for himself. Both players will be salty in the end.

Even if the traitor manages to get the key and escape, he will feel remorse for such backstabbing.

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,121
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,931 posts
11 minutes ago, Whitebuster said:

 I don't understand why WG would encourage betrayal during a battle.

Because lots of people (including me) find it fun.  It's a once a year thing that is completely optional, but the point of the past Halloween event has always been, do you want to be evil?  Here, in this event, you can.  Go nuts for a bit.

In nearly every other game mode, turning on your teammates is a bad thing and will result in punishment. In this game mode, it's one of the ways to win.

  • Cool 2
  • Confused 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,121
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,931 posts
5 minutes ago, Whitebuster said:

I don't like this mechanism because it encourages jealous teammates who don't have a key to betray his teammates in order to get the key for himself. Both players will be salty in the end.

Even if the traitor manages to get the key and escape, he will feel remorse for such backstabbing.

No he won't.  Not most anyway.  Thee killer isn't "jealous", he is winning.  Nobody is sinking the key holder at the last second, running through the gate and then sitting at their keyboard and hanging their head in shame lol.

The vast majority of video games allow you to do things that would get you into some serious problems in real life or do things in the game that you never would in real life.  They are an escape from reality. That's sort of the point of them.

  • Cool 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
108
[PYK]
Beta Testers
208 posts
2,395 battles
8 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Because lots of people (including me) find it fun.  It's a once a year thing that is completely optional, but the point of the past Halloween event has always been, do you want to be evil?  Here, in this event, you can.  Go nuts for a bit.

In nearly every other game mode, turning on your teammates is a bad thing and will result in punishment. 

I can understand if it's a once-a-year thing. WG tends to use its Halloween game modes to test new content like submarines. I hope that WG won't implement this as a permanent game feature in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,411 posts
40,435 battles
7 minutes ago, Whitebuster said:

I encountered a Key battle game where I divisioned with another loyal player and fought together till the end to obtain a key. However, only I had the key and escaped using the portal. Since my teammate is in my division when I went through the portal, does he also get a bonus for it?

I was expecting both players to be able to escape with the key since we were on the same team. If the teammate doesn't get any bonus, then this game mode is really toxic.

It was toxic last year with that mode also creating the idea of team up, then plunge the knife 🔪, twist it, and donkey kick the player while taking his stuff.

This mode is a variation of the theme.

Last year I played it but it was just so immoral. The players I did try to help and get it done were few and far between. The trucing was about the only way to get any cooperation. While that went against the grain of the mode, it was the only way to make the game fun. It was what that truce was broken repeatedly over and over that a player realizes that this mode could potentially make you dead inside if you keep playing it.

So midway of the event, I just stopped. Last year's event was just not worth losing your soul.

I am glad I am wary of the current event and I am not surprised that it is just more of the same.

I guess with WG team over there being shut in, this was probably all they could come up with.

One could hope that a fun event will be in store for us next year. But I am not sure when this nightmare year will come to an end. 

We may start to see this sort of thing in the future as the current events in the real world are being dragged out far longer than expected, and has seriously caused collateral damage to us all.

There has come a point to it all that if you want to fix something like this game, then apparently it has to be done with a full team at Lesta. 

Right now, I am not holding my breath about it. I just play the ships that make me happy and that's it. Some ships are probably not going to see any sea duty for the rest of the year.

I feel the quality of the game has dropped off and it's partly because of the current situation and also the detached decisions that were made over the course of the year.

I urge players to just play your way and have fun. Don't dive into an event if it might make you feel even worse than you are feeling now.

That is self harm.

Just do what you like and maybe WG will figure a way how to get quality content back up. Just don't expect it to be fast. They appear to be struggling. 

It seems there are issues across the board. Once entropy sets in, it's hard to get it out of a system.

Instead players, focus on what makes the game fun for you. Maybe WG will notice this and work to enhance it with small adjustments.

I fully intend to maintain an even strain. But I am not going to endeavor on the side of extraordinary.

It seems that it's not going to make me feel better if the ships have some issues.

So, if a ship has an issue, then I am not using it. I might ask well shift my attention to ships that have fewer issues and also are capable of fun.

For now, I will focus on the DD, BB, and cruisers. These will be the ship types that are fun and I have shifted resources to ensure that. That meant putting one particular nation on the chopping block. 

I am not sure I will revisit that nation at all. Other trees, I just reset the lines that are not fun.

I will use the resources to get a leg up on captain skills instead.

It seems a sound investment, since WG made it so easy for me to make the choices clear. It also helps that some things I can leave off my wish list.

If it sucks, I am not going to waste my time despite some thinking I might be good at some things. It's just not fun to do if the ship is crap.

WG had STs and who knows what else in the content development cycle. But all that did was make the community even more angry.

It's like watching a bunch of baboons try to put together a storage unit from IKEA.

And it's your storage unit. There are expectations, but those howling baboons just turn around and show me that red behind. Then they throw the results of their recent lunch at you for giving feedback.

I see how the game has devolved into a reflection of society.

And I wonder if others in the community are starting to see what I see.

Let's hope next year is better. Because I already have had it up to ^ here with this year.  

  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,411 posts
40,435 battles
13 minutes ago, Whitebuster said:

That's a shame because this game mode is really fun when everyone is working together and not cucking each other. I don't understand why WG would encourage betrayal during a battle. At least there are a lot of good players who stick with their team to the end. 

I get the feeling that betrayal is acceptable behavior.

I am as shocked as you are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,121
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,931 posts
1 minute ago, Whitebuster said:

I can understand if it's a once-a-year thing. WG tends to use its Halloween game modes to test new content like submarines. I hope that WG won't implement this as a permanent game feature in the future.

You are safe there.  There is nearly zero chance that WG is going to make killing your teammates beneficial in the "normal" game modes.  The halloween thing has always been a one off, once a year, murder your friends at the end, thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,411 posts
40,435 battles
11 minutes ago, Whitebuster said:

I don't like this mechanism because it encourages jealous teammates who don't have a key to betray his teammates in order to get the key for himself. Both players will be salty in the end.

Even if the traitor manages to get the key and escape, he will feel remorse for such backstabbing.

I don't think for one second that any player that stabbed my back last year ever felt any remorse.

They all slept like babies. 

I have yet to see proof otherwise.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,121
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,931 posts
Just now, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

I don't think for one second that any player that stabbed my back last year ever felt any remorse.

They all slept like babies. 

I have yet to see proof otherwise.

 

Of course not.  It's a video game.  Nobody goes to bed after a night of an online first person shooter thinking "Gee golly gosh I sure wish I didn't shoot all those other players in that video game".

You are taking this waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to seriously.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,411 posts
40,435 battles
10 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

No he won't.  Not most anyway.  Thee killer isn't "jealous", he is winning.  Nobody is sinking the key holder at the last second, running through the gate and then sitting at their keyboard and hanging their head in shame lol.

The vast majority of video games allow you to do things that would get you into some serious problems in real life or do things in the game that you never would in real life.  They are an escape from reality. That's sort of the point of them.

Any simulation can become a reality, especially if you desensitized the guilt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
108
[PYK]
Beta Testers
208 posts
2,395 battles
1 minute ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

I don't think for one second that any player that stabbed my back last year ever felt any remorse.

They all slept like babies. 

I have yet to see proof otherwise.

 

lol how can you know? Maybe they have sold their soul in order to win. You can't see them crying in front of their screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,121
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,931 posts
1 minute ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Any simulation can become a reality, especially if you desensitized the guilt.

What guilt? O.o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,411 posts
40,435 battles
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

Of course not.  It's a video game.  Nobody goes to bed after a night of an online first person shooter thinking "Gee golly gosh I sure wish I didn't shoot all those other players in that video game".

You are taking this waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to seriously.

You talk to these players, you cooperate with them to achieve a goal, then you betray the whole lot to get a key. And those betrayed are supposed to laugh that off?

You want a team, play like one. Fake it and you already have lost something of yourself.

Besides, it's a blatant theme of betrayal.

 

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,121
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,931 posts
5 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

You talk to these players, you cooperate with them to achieve a goal, then you betray the whole lot to get a key. And those betrayed are supposed to laugh that off?

 

 

Yes.  That's a large and intended part of the game mode.  By WG.  On purpose.

I suggest the person who just spent the game working me, kill me before I kill them.  Because I am going to or die trying.  I am not fragile.

  • Cool 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
390
[BUOY]
Members
1,095 posts
15,139 battles

Last year's 3 man teams were better than this year's FFA IMO, but the biggest loss and the thing that will kill the mode isn't the treachery but (again IMO) the no XP aspect.

In the games I've played most divs I've gotten on haven't backstabbed but rather made it their goal to slaughter the other players for the keys / get to the keys first and then turtle up... and if you lose someone and there's a guy left you don't like your odds against... well... just invite them (they usually accept) since it is a completely mercenary atmosphere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37
[SIT]
Members
74 posts
5,361 battles

I was in a match where my teammate had a key and i didn't. We were the last 2 players left. He missed going through the portal, and we had to fight to the death. If he had been a few seconds faster I would have won by default, and he would have made it through the portal for the win win. Instead, i had to kill him. 

I've had great teamwork in there with some folks, and been backstabbed many times.  Any gail is suspect. It doesn't really bother me, just makes me wonder how they are in real life. If it is blatant, and their name is memorable i take note. Maybe I shall reap vengeance on them later.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,411 posts
40,435 battles
4 minutes ago, Whitebuster said:

lol how can you know? Maybe they have sold their soul in order to win. You can't see them crying in front of their screen.

If they cried, I wouldn't know. But I never saw a single player ever appear from that event again after that. So either they changed their IGN, stopped playing, or make sure I am not on.

It's not like I cursed them out. You can't type like that in chat. Nope, I just took someone's word at face value and it cost me.

Any game mode that encourages deceit is one for the record books as either brilliant, or just plain terrible.

You are free to decide that. LOL 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
108
[PYK]
Beta Testers
208 posts
2,395 battles
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

Yes.  That's a large and intended part of the game mode.  By WG.  On purpose.

I suggest the person who just spent the game working me, kill me before I kill them.  Because I am going to or die trying.  I am not fragile.

I don't feel the same. I hate it when a player backstabs me for his own advantage. I also hate betraying other players for my own advantage and it doesn't feel right to do so. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,121
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,931 posts
6 minutes ago, Whitebuster said:

I don't feel the same. I hate it when a player backstabs me for his own advantage. I also hate betraying other players for my own advantage and it doesn't feel right to do so. 

Then I would suggest not playing this game mode and simply ignore it until it ends for this year.  Betrayal is a large part of the match.  You have to be ready to defend yourself from your new found friend at any time.  If they are going to turn on you (and many will), the only way for you to live, is to kill them first.

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
108
[PYK]
Beta Testers
208 posts
2,395 battles
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

Then I would suggest not playing this game mode and simply ignore it until it ends for this year.  Betrayal is a large part of the match.  You have to be ready to defend yourself from your new found friend at any time.  If they are going to turn on you (and many will), the only way for you to live, is to kill them first.

Well, it looks like I'll ignore this game mode. It's a shame because it has so much potential.

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,411 posts
40,435 battles
10 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Of course not.  It's a video game.  Nobody goes to bed after a night of an online first person shooter thinking "Gee golly gosh I sure wish I didn't shoot all those other players in that video game".

You are taking this waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to seriously.

Let's say you are in a fps shooter, and every time you log in, I am on enemy team dropping you with head shot. I do it day in, day out. Every time only you, head shot, you are dropped. 

Head shot, head shot.

You probably think that is wayyyy tooo seriously funny.

But the bullet goes in the top ridge of your nose 👃. Every time, the face.

Every time you log in.

Now, do you think that is okay behavior? 

Because, I don't. That's too personal.

But it is why I don't like to play fps shooter games anymore. Eventually, someone thinks you are making it personal. But it is only because the bullet, a digital one, ends up, when I pull the trigger. 

No, it starts innocently as fun. But as soon as you realize the hurt you are doing, you have to stop.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×