You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CrazyHorse_Denver

After all what's the worst that they could do???

30 comments in this topic

Members
1,476 posts
17,545 battles

So there's a major change coming for commander skills. With few details given other than the change is coming and the maximum points going from 19 to 21 we are left with the human imagination to fill in the blanks. I'm inclined to be pessimistic in such situations because in real life things seldom turn out as bad as they could; so if I plan for the worst whatever does come down the road will be manageable. Please let me know if I'm not being pessimistic enough.

Out of 14 maxed out commanders I may be able to bring one or two of them up to 21pts with saved up EXP... if...they maintain the spread of EXP needed between points. Others have figured this out to be over 700K to bounce a 19pt commander to 21pts. Bad enough as is but with a company that unashamedly asks for 2 million FXP for a DD they could indeed turn bad to worst by being greedy.

Being able to cash out commanders sitting unused in reserves will help but what will be the conversion rate. Of course it'll take doubloons to do it but at what level; the one that the players will think is fair or what the company thinks they can get away with... 1 to 25 or on special occasions 1:35... as a player a 1:100 ratio or better seems fair to me.

Dealing with WG often makes me feel like a mushroom. They keep me in the dark and feed me copious amounts of [edited]. I don't know about the rest of you but as a customer I don't like feeling like a mushroom.

• Cool 1

Members
3,798 posts
13,766 battles

I wouldnt worry too much. Only the min/maxers will really be able to take advantage of it. Maybe like 5% of the playerbase at best. If WG makes it a large, consistently noticeable diff; then this game begins to fall in to the pay to win category. I dont think theyll risk that. 

[SCOM]
Members
221 posts
9,420 battles
19 minutes ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

Dealing with WG often makes me feel like a mushroom. They keep me in the dark and feed me copious amounts of [edited]. I don't know about the rest of you but as a customer I don't like feeling like a mushroom.

I enjoy eating mushrooms:Smile_trollface:

But you are going to get the typical response:

Green side:  WG is a company to make money...

Red side:  WG is a greedy company because xyz... 

In the end it's your choice to tolerate WG's decisions or find another game to enjoy and spend money on.  Personally I enjoy the game, but dont agree with some of the directions the game is going.  4 years is alot more than I get out of most games.  

[NH]
Members
1,792 posts

As somebody else mentioned I think one of the worries is under the new skills it might end up taking 21 points to accomplish the same build that currently only takes 19. Most people think more points means more commander skills but it may not.

[ANK-A]
Members
1,324 posts
10,996 battles
1 hour ago, BanCVComplainers said:

As somebody else mentioned I think one of the worries is under the new skills it might end up taking 21 points to accomplish the same build that currently only takes 19. Most people think more points means more commander skills but it may not.

The above is likely true for certain builds....but even if that was the case, that alone would not bother me too much.

I'm more worried about all the back door nerfs and cruiser assassinations that will happen if it goes through as proposed.

There is actually a long list of this stuff but a few of worst....

All DD caliber cruisers get hosed by losing access to AFT meaning your average T5 DD can have more range than Atlanta and Flint.  Colbert and Smolie also get hosed.

All cruisers lose access to FP and BoS, mean your average supercruiser build will burn longer than the average BB build. 

Siegfried loses ability to do secondary build.

Cruisers lose Jack of all Trades and all ships lose Smoke Screen Expert (Kuznetsov and Dunkirk Brothers lose at least one special skill)

DE costs less but gets 50% nerf.

DD BFT costs same but main guns get 50% nerf.

This is just a quick list....  there are a few positives, but many many more negatives. 

You know, if it was just a money grab, I'd maybe be cynical about it, but otherwise not be too upset, but when they bring out the nerf hammer in the process then it's just insult to injury.

It's been said quite a bit to just wait and see and maybe they will fix some of the above issues, but considering they said it comes 0.9.11 which is less than 4 weeks and nada has been said since then.... I do not think that bodes well....

Edited by YouSatInGum
  • Cool 4

[DVYJC]
Members
3,563 posts
8,197 battles
7 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

The above is likely true for certain builds....but even if that was the case, that alone would not bother me too much.

I'm more worried about all the back door nerfs and cruiser assassinations that will happen if it goes through as proposed.

All DD caliber cruisers get hosed by losing access to AFT meaning your average T5 DD can have more range than Atlanta and Flint.  Colbert and Smolie also get hosed.

All cruisers lose access to FP and BoS, mean your average supercruiser build will burn longer than the average BB build. 

Cruisers lose Jack of all Trades and all ships lose Smoke Screen Expert (Kuznetsov and Dunkirk Brothers lose at least one special skill)

This is just a quick list....  there are a few positives, but many many more negatives. 

You know, if it was just a money grab, I'd maybe be cynical about it, but otherwise not be too upset, but when they bring out the nerf hammer in the process then it's just insult to injury.

It's been said quite a bit to just wait and see and maybe they will fix some of the above issues, but considering they said it comes 0.9.11 which is less than 4 weeks and nada has been said since then.... I do not think that bodes well....

Honestly I think the stink about this was so bad that they're going back for another big rework from what they announced. In their defense, they always said it was a very preliminary version, and we all pointed out that you could definitely tell that because of how badly the skill rework proposal they showed us would hurt ships that didn't fit neatly into their stereotypical role by type. As you mentioned, the biggest losers were oddball cruisers where BFT and AFT used to be necessary parts of the build as well as supercruisers who would be hellaciously vulnerable to fire, and then Siegfried and the German CVs would be unable to build for secondaries. Although, the changes to secondaries may have meant nobody ended up building for them, so who knows.

[BERYL]
[BERYL]
Members
134 posts
5,047 battles
5 hours ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

After all what's the worst that they could do???

You're tempting fate by asking that. We don't want to find out. 

• Funny 1

[GOCRY]
Members
635 posts

... and in other news, there’s a deadly new virus originating in Wuhan, China that is spreading around the globe.

:cap_old:

You haven’t said anything that wasn’t already pointed out a month ago.  In fact, they’ve given us quite a bit of info about the new skills.  So you’re upset that they haven’t told you absolutely everything, and signed a contract committing to it?

• Boring 1
  • Meh 2

[A-I-M]
Members
3,440 posts
14,106 battles
5 hours ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

So there's a major change coming for commander skills. With few details given other than the change is coming and the maximum points going from 19 to 21 we are left with the human imagination to fill in the blanks. I'm inclined to be pessimistic in such situations because in real life things seldom turn out as bad as they could; so if I plan for the worst whatever does come down the road will be manageable. Please let me know if I'm not being pessimistic enough.

Out of 14 maxed out commanders I may be able to bring one or two of them up to 21pts with saved up EXP... if...they maintain the spread of EXP needed between points. Others have figured this out to be over 700K to bounce a 19pt commander to 21pts. Bad enough as is but with a company that unashamedly asks for 2 million FXP for a DD they could indeed turn bad to worst by being greedy.

Being able to cash out commanders sitting unused in reserves will help but what will be the conversion rate. Of course it'll take doubloons to do it but at what level; the one that the players will think is fair or what the company thinks they can get away with... 1 to 25 or on special occasions 1:35... as a player a 1:100 ratio or better seems fair to me.

The conversion rate has been announced. It’s in a thread in the Developer’s Corner section. Can’t link it now, but it’s still on page 1.

[NSEW]
Members
2,109 posts
11,338 battles
6 hours ago, Rollingonit said:

I dont think theyll risk that.

History shows otherwise. 

(just using your sentence as an example, not an ad hominem) 

[PHD]
Members
1,690 posts
7,036 battles
38 minutes ago, LowSpeed_US said:

History shows otherwise. 

(just using your sentence as an example, not an ad hominem) 

I think they may not screw this up too badly, I hope. The CV rework was a bit of a rush job and the PR event was poor communication. 

The captain skills have needed some work for a while. I am not sure if there is a test phase or if they plan on doing rolling fixes as the torches are lit and the pitchforks are sharpened.:Smile_izmena:

[APEZ]
Members
2,516 posts
8,824 battles
6 hours ago, YouSatInGum said:

I wonder if it's a way of doing a "reset" /blanket nerf of ships so they can then adjust accordingly

Members
573 posts
5,002 battles

i am more worried about the outcome of this new sistem, if the new sistem creates more options when it comes to viable builds then i dont mind doing some grind but if its more of the same but with more grind... :Smile-angry:

Edited by pepe_trueno

[TMS]
Members
3,606 posts
34,789 battles

Priority Target is being moved to 2 points i have heard.

So if one of the others that i use does not move down points shafted because i have to use a 1pont skill before i can use a 2 point.

And in that case i would need 23 points to keep things as they are.

screwed.thumb.png.ae424326211dcdc10d1f96309f4ea0ee.png

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
30,708 posts
9,292 battles
8 hours ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

TBH, the worst is if they don't allow 21-pt. captains to generate ECXP.

If they do, you'll still get the "snowball" effect, it'll just be slower.

[WOLFG]
Members
30,708 posts
9,292 battles
6 minutes ago, Final8ty said:

So if one of the others that i use does not move down points shafted because i have to use a 1pont skill before i can use a 2 point.

It's hard to say though, because you won't be able to keep things as they are.

There might only be 21 points worth of the new skills that you need. Have you mapped out a build with the new skills as currently presented?

[WOLFG]
Members
30,708 posts
9,292 battles
43 minutes ago, why_u_heff_to_be_mad said:

wait

they feed mushrooms crap!?

Lol didn't you know that?

[BERYL]
[BERYL]
Members
134 posts
5,047 battles
1 minute ago, Skpstr said:

Lol didn't you know that?

I used to live downwind from a Mushroom farm.

I know all too well. 

[WOLFG]
Members
30,708 posts
9,292 battles
Just now, RicketyEdge said:

I used to live downwind from a Mushroom farm.

I know all too well. 

What was their preferred supplier?

I want to say pig, but I'm not sure. At least if it's cow, that's not a horrible smell. I grew up in farming country, and even where I live now, near the edge of a city, you get a good whiff if the wind blows the right way. It reminds me of my youth, while my city-born wife and daughter are disgusted lol.

[BERYL]
[BERYL]
Members
134 posts
5,047 battles
2 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

What was their preferred supplier?

I want to say pig, but I'm not sure. At least if it's cow, that's not a horrible smell. I grew up in farming country, and even where I live now, near the edge of a city, you get a good whiff if the wind blows the right way. It reminds me of my youth, while my city-born wife and daughter are disgusted lol.

Must have been, 'cause it was nasty. I'd rather hang out in the gas station bathroom after Bubba the Long Haul Trucker spent his hour in there. 

Yeah, I don't live there no more. 

[WOLFG]
Members
30,708 posts
9,292 battles
Just now, RicketyEdge said:

Must have been, 'cause it was nasty. I'd rather hang out in the gas station bathroom after Bubba the Long Haul Trucker spent his hour in there. 

Yeah, I don't live there no more. 

Yeah, pig is bad, second only to chicken IMO.

I remember in high school, there was this stunning girl, who was a genuinely nice person, but no one ever dated her, because she lived on a pig farm, and always carried at least a whiff of the smell.

[IRNBN]
Members
3,691 posts
10,738 battles
8 hours ago, Rollingonit said:

If WG makes it a large, consistently noticeable diff; then this game begins to fall in to the pay to win category. I dont think theyll risk that. 

I'll take that bet. :cap_cool:

[EQRN]
Members
2,122 posts
18,626 battles
1 hour ago, Final8ty said:

AR is moving to 3 points, so to keep PT and AR you gain nothing going from 19 to 21, other than your commander is less useful than he was while grinding to 21.