You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Systemlord_1

Broadside targets take almost no damage?

16 comments in this topic

Members
87 posts
6,237 battles

I am dumbfounded by the full broadside targets taking 1310 damage, I target a broadside Cruiser, 1310 even though all shells are hitting the hull/upper deck, next a DD as the very next target, guess what, 1310 damage full broadside even though 6 shells make contact with the hull. The recurring 1310 damage breaks with emersion and I realize this game is broken.

I just died because my shells do 1310 at point blank range to a DD with all shells hitting the hull, no overpins, it's like the shells were complete duds. Before you ask for replays, don't because I can get them to play.

What is going on with the RNG lately?

Edited by Systemlord_1
  • Confused 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,689 posts
19,844 battles

There's no RNG in the damage calculation. For the rest you're giving us way too little information to go on.

[SALVO]
Members
25,443 posts
27,398 battles
12 minutes ago, Systemlord_1 said:

I am dumbfounded by the full broadside targets taking 1310 damage, I target a broadside Cruiser, 1310 even though all shells are hitting the hull/upper deck, next a DD as the very next target, guess what, 1310 damage full broadside even though 6 shells make contact with the hull. The recurring 1310 damage breaks with emersion and I realize this game is broken.

I just died because my shells do 1310 at point blank range to a DD with all shells hitting the hull, no overpins, it's like the shells were complete duds. Before you ask for replays, don't because I can get them to play.

The problem is most likely where your shells are landing.  If your BB shells are striking the superstructure of cruisers, it's no surprise that you're getting nothing but overpens.  You need to be aiming for the water line.  Perhaps even a pixel or 2 below the water line.  Also, learn where the citadels are on enemy cruisers.  They're not always perfectly below the ship's smoke stacks.  For example, IJN cruiser citadels seem to be about 2/3rds of the way back from the bow, i.e. a bit behind the center of the ship.  Other cruisers' citadels are perfectly centered below their stacks.  Learning where each cruisers' citadel is will really help with your problem.  So will good aim.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,400 posts
4,198 battles
43 minutes ago, Systemlord_1 said:

First, DDs only take overpen damage from BB AP even if you get a full pen. BB AP used to obliterate DDs, so that got changed.

On the cruiser, sometimes RNG says nope. And some cruisers are thin enough that often the shell doesn't have time to arm before it exits out the other side. So that may be a combination of ship and RNG screwing you. It may also be where you're aiming. Without a replay we can't say for sure.

[GWG]
Members
7,213 posts
13,972 battles

I found I could Multiple-Citadel (single salvo delete) a full broadside Omaha with the Duke of York.  Just wait until lined up, then fire..  boom-gone.

Of course those citadels are done with main-gun HE since AP would just overpen.

[SCREW]
Members
390 posts
17,833 battles
3 hours ago, Lert said:

There's no RNG in the damage calculation. For the rest you're giving us way too little information to go on.

Sounds pretty clear to me. 1310 is the overpen damage that BBs typically do. I'm assuming 16" shells, and based on the confusion in his post, he's new to them, so likely either american or japanese (Nagato or Colorado most likely). And this poor guy just found out how [edited] it is that broadside cruisers and destroyers at any angle take little to no damage anymore from battleships. And we won't even touch on the ridiculous damage they put out. 

Members
87 posts
6,237 battles
22 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

And some cruisers are thin enough that often the shell doesn't have time to arm before it exits out the other side. So that may be a combination of ship and RNG screwing you.

That explains why I cause virtually no damages to some british cruisers, but on the other hand I see Minotaurs (paper ship) blapped from BB AP all the time. This is a contradiction. 

Edited by Systemlord_1

[THREE]
Members
2,454 posts
13,665 battles

Hey

Don't feel bad there is very little in this game that makes much sense anymore.  The days of aiming and being rewarded are gone, everything is RNG these days and nothing you see about your ships specs are accurate, HE fire chances are a myth, the actually HE and AP damage are a myth, shooting a volley of HE shells at a DD and being rewarded is a myth, your actual AA performance is a joke compared to the stats they say about damage, used to be able to get about 3 citadels and you could sink many ships and now you can get a triple or quad cit. and they still have a 3rd of their health left, now we have rocket planes that can chunk you for 25-50% of your health and yet you shoot a broadside ship at 8km and all you get are an over pens, ricochets and if your lucky 1 pen out of 9 guns of a BB.  The more they supposedly balance the game the more unpredictable the game has become.  Sorry, but that is the fact of life in WOWS these days.

Pete

[UNC]
Members
813 posts
6,081 battles

If you are aiming towards the top of the hull or your shells are hitting superstructure and decking that could be the problem.  Superstructure plating is usually extremely thin so the shells likely won't arm before passing through.  Citadels are deeper in the ship; generally you need to aim close to the waterline between the fore and aft turrets to hit the citadel of a ship.  As someone else said, DDs take only 1/10 the stated damage of BB shells regardless.  Beyond that, it could be a streak of bad RNG.  Without replays or at least screenshots its hard to tell anything more.

[META_]
Members
41 posts
1,456 battles
On 10/30/2020 at 2:04 PM, Systemlord_1 said:

That explains why I cause virtually no damages to some british cruisers, but on the other hand I see Minotaurs (paper ship) blapped from BB AP all the time. This is a contradiction. 

Not really it's just WG trying to hold some semblance of realism while still balancing the game. In reality especially with slower shells if your shells hit the citadel you are probably going to get citadel damage. 

[LEHR]
Members
29 posts
2,493 battles

Broadsides need some Aiming if you're gonna Take someone Out in a Single Salvo, but generally, expect at the Very Least 2 Salvo's and that's gonna require Fast Turrets and a reasonable Reload....     Broadsiding a DD is just like Asking the RNG Gods to Hold your Beer and not Laugh when you Pull the Trigger, you're gonna Over pen the Hell out of him and he's just gonna Torp you Back to the Ports....        As Mentioned previously, a DD is gonna need a Salvo of HE and even then, you're still likely to Lose that Engagement...

I've been Building my Roma around Full On Broadside Passes and so far, it works Quite Well....    The Problem is Getting there....

This Ship is Notorious for it's Over Pen's and this was one way to Offset it a lot....     Same Principal works on other Battleships as well, but you need to be Patient and Wait for the Right Time and Position of the Red Ship before you Fire....      Also works with Cruisers, but a lot of Cruisers also come Complete with Torp's making this a bit more Risky to Pull Off against one, and the Guns on Cruisers aren't Good for Point Blanking against a Red BB in most Cases...

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,130 posts
5,652 battles

Last night I deleted a full health Zara in Colorado by aiming just below the water line as he turned to try to bring torpedoes to bear.  If I'd aimed for his hull I'd have punched some holes in him, each doing about 1200 damage and then he would have torpedoed me at a range even Zara's torpedoes could not have been avoided.

Members
87 posts
6,237 battles
On 11/25/2020 at 1:34 PM, oldewolfe said:

Broadsiding a DD is just like Asking the RNG Gods to Hold your Beer and not Laugh when you Pull the Trigger, you're gonna Over pen the Hell out of him

I tend to do more damage to DD's that are angled slightly when using AP, so now I wait for them to turn first before firing. I'm finding that some cruisers take more damage when angled versus when broadside. 

Edited by Systemlord_1

Members
315 posts
6,275 battles

Its amazing how many people don't know the mechanics of the game.  This is more WG's fault because the info is not that accessible.

You can only get overpens on DDs with AP from cruiser and battleship guns.

Members
315 posts
6,275 battles
1 hour ago, BrianDavion said:

honestly given how hard it is to HIT a DD with BB guns, if a BB actually does land a hit, the DD should proably feel it. 

really isn't that hard and they do feel it.  A single overpen is about 5-10% of a DD's health and most cant heal it at all.  Its actually way harder to land torps than it is to land shells on a DD, plus you can fire your guns much more often.